twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 14th, 2021, 12:27 PM
A legend in my spare time
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6231
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
I too love the magic-buster in concept but not how in practice the class also busted the harmonious good time in the group of friends I played with. We used to get around the drawback by assigning the barbarian a low INT score and relying on increasingly implausible role-playing to prevent him from freaking out if he ever saw magic.
Magic-user: Look! A squirrel!
Barbarian: Huh? Where? (Turns to look.)
Magic-user: (Casts spell while barbarian's back is turned.)
Barbarian: Me no see no squirrel.
Magic-user: Gosh, you're right. Never mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unko Talok View Post
Yeah-- the magic-hating Barbarian trope is one that I like, but only if implemented well. And it's seldom implemented well by players, at the very least. The idea of having a character that can take away magical advantages from enemies is a pretty cool one.
Cover Artist: Explosive Runes #25

Last edited by GallupsMirror; Oct 14th, 2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 06:02 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8743
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
The problem with Magic busting in 5E is if you do it, you're breaking just about 95% of the classes + subclasses.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 07:45 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18271
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
ehh, just because a magic bashing Barbarrion COULD destroy everything magic doesn't necessarily mean he HAS to does it?

For my part, I didn't even know this existed in 5e so I don't know what the particulars of this ability are

If I'm wrong ignore me

"There are many fates worse than a quick and foolish death."

Sun - Thu: I got into Iron DM so status is now set to: Erratic! / Fri & Sat: Usually Unavailable

Last edited by Silk; Oct 14th, 2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 07:52 PM
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
That's exactly what I was thinking: a fresh version of the old 'I hate magic' barbarian has an awful lot of hating to do in 5E, with most of it landing within the adventuring party.

And I'm sure there are other examples of old classes, races, and abilities that may have similar problems if they retain their old properties as new versions in 5.5/6E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
The problem with Magic busting in 5E is if you do it, you're breaking just about 95% of the classes + subclasses.
Old Oct 14th, 2021, 08:06 PM
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
If you were playing by the rules, yes. In the olden days it was a barbarian class feature. Just as the 5E Druids disdain metal armor, the 1E "Barbarians in general detest magic and those who use it." That didn't stop gamers from ignoring the rule, taking away a vital drawback. That made it harder for DMs to present credible threats against 1E parties with Barbarians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk View Post
ehh, just because a magic bashing Barbarrion COULD destroy everything magic doesn't necessarily mean he HAS to does it?
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
What canst thou say?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29541
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdove View Post
Why is the desire for profit considered greed? When you put in a week's worth of work, you expect to be paid, right? Are you being greedy? Businesses exist to make profits and without them, the owner of the business doesn't get paid for his work (yes, business owners work--usually very hard), and he can't afford to keep on the people who work for him. Moreover, Hasbro is a publicly traded company and its directors have a legal obligation to their stockholders to try to turn a profit. If you've got a 401K, there's a fair chance you're one of those stockholders. Are you greedy to want your 401K to grow?
Greed has been a D&D sub-plot all the way back to TSR, Gygax, Arneson and Carr, right? As far as Hasbro and stockholders, D&D markets itself as an international product, this is an international community, and most of the world—heck, most Americans—don't have a 401k. I'm not sympathetic if 6e turns out to be a huge failure because the only motivation was Hasbro profits.

PS--I am interested in the reintroduction of the "classic" settings in 2022 and 2023. Does that mean Dark Sun? Mystara? Dragonlance? Or ... something with a Hasbro-empire tie-in?

Last edited by bananabadger; Yesterday at 02:41 PM.