Game Thread Chapter 3: A Member of the Wedding - Page 9 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Banshee Bride
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old Mar 20th, 2023, 10:19 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is online now
Zero Nonsense
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 21st, 2024
RPXP: 29864
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 7,911
A-ru
right-aligned image


A cone of web wraps lightly around ranger and mount, who sit for a moment like a silken park monument of the world's smallest cavalry general. But as one, A'ru and Sneech shake themselves vigorously, sending the adhesive strands flying off in harmless droplets. To his frustration, a bit of webbing still attached to the marda's staff makes it difficult for him to wield it effectively. While he wipes it on a pant leg, he says firmly, "Sneech. Maul."

A'ru leaps lightly off the back of his mount and lands beside the spider creature.

The mastiff's eyes flash white with primal energy. He growls menacingly and crouches with saliva dripping from his fangs, then rears on his hind legs and lunges barking at the hand-spider, slashing deeply into the monster with his front claws.

"Good boy."

Sneech raises his muzzle and howls in triumph.



 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old Mar 21st, 2023, 06:37 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 20th, 2024
RPXP: 41473
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 10,513
LaisrenHlin, ever perceptive, seems to sense Laisren's frustration at the cramped quarters. He suggests that the farmer move around to flank the awful creature, as it talks back. He can appreciate both sides of the conversation.

"Wha? Of course I can spe... rude? No, but I didn't mean... hey, but you're stabbing my frie.... No, you can't eat.... Huh? Move? Oh, yeah, good id.... Hey stop trying to eat them!"

Laisren pivots around the adversary, wary of the fire and smoke beyond. As he moves, he gains freedom to maneuver with this fork. Halfway around, he brings the tines down. What leverage he lacked last time, he has gained this pass. He skewers the spider and uses its tough chitin to plant his pole and to vault to its other side. It twists, Nat 20 to hit! Not great damage, 12, but worthy of putting some combat flair on, all the same.rending the beast. Laisren plants his feet on the far side of the spider, hemming it in and allowing the others to move in and dish out some blows.
OOC
 
__________________
he/him - MC of Shadows of the City, an Urban Shadows (PbtA) game.
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 09:32 PM
BestTeaMaker's Avatar
BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 21st, 2024
RPXP: 1353
BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker
Posts: 318
Nukky
left-aligned image


"Khaaaa! Fire and fire again!" Once again, panic seizes the young Kobold as he frantically throws out his fire alongside his spirit, both missing. The fury of the battle in such tight quarters has left the kobold quite confused.

 


Character
Nukky

 


 


Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 05:14 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 21st, 2024
RPXP: 45555
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 12,416
The Hand Spider
left-aligned image
Hlin, the spider is eloquent and fast. She dodges the arrow as you dodge her webbing in a a dance that has much more to do with missed damage than diplomacy.

A'ru, you and your mount shake of the webbing, and at your command, Sneech behaves like every naughty dog at a dinner party, leaping up and scouring the guest who only hoped to dine. Well, the spider thinks you are the food, so this is fair.

Nukky, perhaps the proximity to so much fire spoils your aim, and even your spirit's, though for different reasons. She would like to go and sit in it, perhaps. It is spreading, so she may well get her chance.

Laisren, you bring down your pitchfork, but you were also Raised Right in Rie, so you also offer conversation. It's hard to think of neutral topics with a creature bent on eating you, but you try, and she seems to appreciate it.

She glances at your robes and says, Alcolyte, you wound me most, and yet I shall eat you last, for the sake of a little more conversation. And yet, how strange that you are here at all... She pauses to adjust her exquisite jewelry and then steps lithely away from you, lightning quick on her many legs. I generally do not dine with underlings among the clergy. She glances at Hlin's robes, too, as she tries to take a bite out of him and misses. Tonight I shall dine on Clergy --- but with? Still you are better conversationalist than the ghoul, that I grant you! What brings you here? Surely you are no guest... She slides her daggers neatly into Nukky. Perhaps you first? Are you an animal?

Behind Laisren, the fire is spreading down little lines and attachments. The heated air and smoke may very soon become a problem...



OOC
left-aligned image

HERE IS YOUR MAP!

The red is fire, the purple is smoke, gray is webbing, Blue is spit webbing (did not recharge this round).

No AoE, Sorry Wyn, she can take disengage as a bonus action.

Hlin still has a spell slot.

Name Health AC Damage Conditions Concentrating
A'ru14/2817/15   
Sneech20/2015   
Hlin 18/1813   
Laisren12/3214   
Nukky21/2715-6  
Fire Spirit20/2013   
Hand SpiderHURT16(-50) -9 -12  
__________________
Join the Bunny-ism Chorus Perpetual
🐰🗡️🐰 Bunny by Mona Awad 🐰🗡️🐰
Visit the RPGX's Drop in, Drop out,(hop in, hop out?) no strings, no stress Book Club
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 06:44 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is online now
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 21st, 2024
RPXP: 73321
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 18,919


"You have five perfectly good meals in front of you," Hlin shouts at the spider, "yet all you can do is complain about a ghoul. Who is this ghoul? And where?" he asks as he switches to his sword Making AC +2, so now 15and shield and strikes at the creature.



 


 

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 09:33 AM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is online now
Zero Nonsense
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 21st, 2024
RPXP: 29864
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 7,911
A-ru
right-aligned image


A'ru mutters, "Whatever yez are, yeh loves the sound of yer own voice so much I'm surprised yeh don't marry it." He thumps the monster's abdomen, green sparks flying where his shillelagh makes contact, then once again calls for Sneech to attack.

The faithful mastiff rears up and slashes with his claws, but this time they slide harmlessly along the monster's carapace.



 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by Yoshimi; Mar 25th, 2023 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 11:49 AM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 20th, 2024
RPXP: 41473
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 10,513
LaisrenWith Laisren's vault, the battle lines quickly shift, and he finds himself suddenly in the second rank. He can still do damage from there; that's the whole point of Righ's training on a weapon like his, readying for the thread of a horde. But it doesn't feel right, being relegated to the status of 'least tasty morsel', so that the spider prefers to sup on others first.

"I swear I'm not as tough as I look!" he says, referring to the wiry state of his ghost-aged musculature. It takes him a beat to realize what he's said, and a concerned look crosses his face. "I mean! I'm tough! But the other kind, though. G'yah!" He shouts, emphasizing his fearsomeness, as he reaches into the fray with his fork. He hits again, Non-crit, but bigger hit: 13 damage this time.this blow more keen than the last.

Laisren draws back his fork and coughs. Looking over his shoulder, he adds, "I think your house is on fire. Isn't that more important than eating us right now?"
OOC
 
__________________
he/him - MC of Shadows of the City, an Urban Shadows (PbtA) game.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old Mar 26th, 2023, 07:01 PM
BestTeaMaker's Avatar
BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 21st, 2024
RPXP: 1353
BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker
Posts: 318
Nukky
left-aligned image


"KCHAAAAAA!" Nukky winces in pain from the stab and continues to wave his burnt staff around him. "NUKKY BURN!"

The Flame Spirit continues to follow up attacks, landing another hit with a hint of disdain in its molten eyes.

 


Character
Nukky

 


 



Last edited by BestTeaMaker; Mar 26th, 2023 at 07:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 12:09 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 21st, 2024
RPXP: 45555
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 12,416
Hand Spider
left-aligned image
Hlin, The Spider says, Oh, the ghoul I eat. Not a great conversationalist---but goodness, neither are you lot, to be quite blunt about it. You respond by hacking one of her legs off. Hardly repartee,she says.

Nukky, that's when you make your exclamation, and the spider looks to the centaur as if to say, There, you see? Your disdainful spirit will not put up with such slander. Fire seeds spackle her furry head.

Laisren, you question her priorities, and she says, Not to be blunt, sir, or discuss, ahem, my back-end business, but I make myself a new house every three days, don't I! You answer with a fierce blow from your family fork.

A'ru, she is spurting arterial blood, so much so that Sneech slips it and lands on his snout, BONK, missing her entirely, but she sees how red the floor has become, and says, My goodness, I think you might kill me. Well, I'll do it different next time, won't I.

You wonk her a good one with your magic staff, and the bloated body sags on the seven remaining legs, her beringed hands flex and drop their daggers, the random eyes sprinkled on her head all glaze, and she expires.

Party, behind her, the fire at the center of the web is dying, out of fuel, but more and more black smoke fill the top of the tunnel and it continues to spread toward you.

Oo'loo says to you, A'ru, The ladder to the kennels is just forty feet or so up past those flames...Hurry!


OOC
You can back up all the way to the entrance and wait half an hour or so for the fire to die and smoke to dissipate.

You can run through NOW, while the fire is active, 12 dex save to avoid the flames. 2d4 damage on a fail, 3d4 damage if you fail by more than 5.

You can wait another 2 minutes for the fire to die, but there will be a lot mroe smoke. 12 con save to hold your breath to the other side, 2d4 smoke damage on a fail, 3d4 on a fail by more than 5.

You can do a fourth thing I haven't thought of here; if you say what it is, I will tell you if a roll is needed, or you can roll what makes sense to you, and I'll tell you if I need anything else..

If you get past you can go up the ladder if you want; the hatch is unlocked.
__________________
Join the Bunny-ism Chorus Perpetual
🐰🗡️🐰 Bunny by Mona Awad 🐰🗡️🐰
Visit the RPGX's Drop in, Drop out,(hop in, hop out?) no strings, no stress Book Club

Last edited by Fillyjonk; Mar 27th, 2023 at 12:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 08:45 PM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is online now
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 21st, 2024
RPXP: 73321
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 18,919


Hlin feels some sense of compulsion passed on from the marda on his hinds, and so he rushes forward through the tunnel, his tail brushing up against Laisren as he passes, but not particularly potent; only 3hp to Laisren--sorry!a known salve against bluefly bites or other minor injuries.


 


 

__________________

Last edited by bananabadger; Mar 27th, 2023 at 08:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 10:17 PM
Yoshimi's Avatar
Yoshimi Yoshimi is online now
Zero Nonsense
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 21st, 2024
RPXP: 29864
Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi Yoshimi
Posts: 7,911
A-ru
right-aligned image


A'ru looks up from pulling the rings off the hand-spider's hands. He looks a little sheepish. "No knowin' what'll come in handy later." When he stands, the marda catches sight of Laisren, and can't help but notice the extent of his wounds and bruises. "Here, take this. Looks like yez need it more than I do right now." He fishes his healing potion out and hands it to the barbarian.

With that, he leaps onto Sneech. "To the kennels, my friend!"

The mastiff barks exuberantly and charges forward. In a dazzling display of speed and grace, he weaves over, under, and around piles of burning silk and dodges countless drifting strands, arriving at the bottom of the ladder with an unscathed rider and only soot-smudged fur.

"Onward, for freedom!" Sneech doesn't break stride, continuing his long run up the wall itself and pushing his way through the hatch.




 


 
__________________
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by Yoshimi; Mar 29th, 2023 at 07:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 06:27 PM
Wynamoinen's Avatar
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen is online now
Eternal Bard
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 20th, 2024
RPXP: 41473
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Posts: 10,513
LaisrenThe talkative spider goes down. Time is of the essence, and they all know it, Laisren as much as any other. But Laisren has also been on the wrong end of more beatings than anyone else, in this horrible misadventure. The others are eager to press on, but Laisren hesitates. Hlin seems to see the look on his face, and offers a small blessing. It's not much reassurance, but Laisren gives the best 'thank you sir' grin he can (Hlin might notice that it's all teeth and no eyes involved in the expression), and says "much obliged."

Then off goes A'Ru on his mount, and then Hlin. They bound over and through the flames without a singe. Laisren takes a few deep breaths and tries to convince himself, "OK, OK, look how easy it is...." And then he throws himself at the firey passage. Failed the save, but only by 4. 6 fire damage.But his heart isn't in it. He coughs again, and stumbles, and the grasping webs catch him. His flesh burns as he staggers through.

Laisren winces and grimaces on the other side, and through a series of pats and pulls, he gets rid of the flames, gritting his teeth to prevent himself from crying out. In an ever-more-uncertain voice, he says "Heh, heh, oops. Well. Um. Onwards and upwards?" This chunk of the Fae is looking more and more likely to be the death of him, as it has been for so many others.
OOCUp three and down six, for a net of a 3 HP loss.

 
__________________
he/him - MC of Shadows of the City, an Urban Shadows (PbtA) game.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 11:13 PM
BestTeaMaker's Avatar
BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker is offline
Mature Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 21st, 2024
RPXP: 1353
BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker BestTeaMaker
Posts: 318
Nukky
left-aligned image


In the rush of combat, Nukky continues to swing his staff as he blindly runs forward into the smoke and flames. "Khaaaaaaa!" When the smoke clears behind him, Nukky stops and pants for a second. He looks around to see the group also rushing their way through. Nukky then looks ahead through the darkness.

"Whew....Nukky hope the end of this tunnel is near."

 


Character
Nukky

 


 


Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old Mar 31st, 2023, 07:03 PM
Fillyjonk's Avatar
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk is offline
#Bard4Life
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 21st, 2024
RPXP: 45555
Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk Fillyjonk
Posts: 12,416
Kennel
left-aligned image
Hlin, you heal Laisren a little and hasten through, unburned.

Nukky, the corridor ends forty feet past the fire in a ladder. Your spirit sails right through the flames, liking them, unbreathing. She will go home soon.

A'ru, you get a big fistful of the hair on Sneech's withers, clutch with your legs, lean way forward, and stick while Sneech goes right up the ladder the through the hatch. You are in a kennel. Ancient drift globes provide dim light. There are three cages, all closed, presumably locked, but you see an iron ring of keys on a table. You see nine or ten young Marda ---all ghosts -- in these cages who gasp or growl and sit up and perk-ear and big-eye when you come busting up. They all go silent, staring.

In the closest cage, there are only two Marda, and one, like you, is past spring. She stands, calmer than the others, and says to you, You have come. At last! The promised hero. The young ones began to disbelieve, but me? Never. The young Marda begin to whisper to each other, poking and shuffling, their round eyes brightening with hope.

Ma! says Oo'loo, leaping out of your "cloak." Gurgle! It makes your eyes bug a bit to be so suddenly dispossessed. Ra'Rar is hurt and --- she is downstairs --- there is a centaur carrying her--- He is gabbling, frantic, but he quiets instantly when she holds up a calm hand. She steps right out through the bars, and you see she knows. She knows she is dead. None of the others react, and Oo'Loo whispers to you, Ma can do that. She is also a healer, much more powerful than me.

She says, Hush child. Ra-Rar is often hurt at this point. Of course there is a centaur, because here is a Marda. You children, born and raised in captivity, do not know your own history. Why, without the Kentauroi, it is only a matter of time until the Free Marda go extinct, and there are times when they need us as well! She goes and looks down the hatch, to the smoky corridor where Hlin and Nukky and Lais are waiting, and when she sees Hlin, she nods, satisfied. She turns to you. Stranger, I am soft J soundsJaa'jee; we have waited for you, all these years, and you are not too late. One mirror still remains unbroken, or it remained whole last time I looked. I see the shine of the key upon your Kentauren brother's hoof. Let the pack out---for I of course cannot pick up the keys, and their minds will not let them walk through.

Where are we? In time, I mean. Has the wedding happened? How long until the whole damn thing resets?


Laisren, you are hurt nigh unto death, and despairing. In your defense, you never dreamed to be the hero. You only wanted to be recognized as consort. The hero takes the front line, gets beaten down, sometimes dies, sometimes loses all that matters to him--- love, hope, youth, beauty, family ---and still goes on. Would Fain go on? Can you?

You may not have to, not for long. The rift you saw requires a key, and the growly female voice above is saying it is Hlin's shoe. You want out of this horrible misadventure? Here is the way.

Map
left-aligned image




__________________
Join the Bunny-ism Chorus Perpetual
🐰🗡️🐰 Bunny by Mona Awad 🐰🗡️🐰
Visit the RPGX's Drop in, Drop out,(hop in, hop out?) no strings, no stress Book Club
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 05:42 AM
bananabadger's Avatar
bananabadger bananabadger is online now
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 21st, 2024
RPXP: 73321
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Posts: 18,919


It doesn't sound like a spider's voice up the ladder. And the conversation sounds a bit less focused on the delights of eating Hlin and his friends, so it might not be a spider ... or the ghoul that the spider talked about. Still ... this world has provided few pleasant surprises.

"A'ru! What's going on up there? I'm ... err guarding the tunnel," Hlin decides to explain instead of just saying the obvious--centaurs and ladders are never a graceful combination. He looks to the other two. "We're all three guarding the tunnel right now ... for now?" And then he says more quietly to Nukky and Liasren, "It's okay. I can stay here and guard if you wish to go up. The spider said there was a ghoul about. One of us should stay just in case. I can do that. You can even take the horseshoe with you ... if you can get it off. It seems important! Really, I'll be fine."

 


 

__________________

Last edited by bananabadger; Apr 1st, 2023 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2024, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB