site dinosaur
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008  

Hall of Fame DM 2009

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: -9600
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin
JEE-zus!

Have you people SEEN what Comcast charges for internet access?!?

Their greed will keep my posts brief for a while yet, I'm afraid. Until (and unless) I can find a more reasonable alternative, my internet dealer is now a coffee shop with a wifi connection. At night.

NO xp please! It's no longer possible to earn negative xp. These gray dots are highly endangered! Don't kill them!
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Pissant

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
Kainti Kainti Kainti Kainti
Welp, Comcast can suck on my balls, regardless of how much their charge. Not only are they anti network-neutrality, but they also limit speeds on things such as Bittorrent, which shouldn't be legal.

The ****ers, unlikely to change anytime soon ****ers to boot.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:06 PM
*hums*
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 143
Sorator Sorator
Anti network-neutrality? Bittorrent? *is confused*

And just because I feel like it:
You could've had a V8!*

*I don't personally like V8, but their ads are funny.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:17 PM
She Whispers, Loneliness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12266
Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis Securis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin ridin
Have you people SEEN what Comcast charges for internet access?!?

Their greed will keep my posts brief for a while yet, I'm afraid. Until (and unless) I can find a more reasonable alternative, my internet dealer is now a coffee shop with a wifi connection. At night.
Unfortunately, they're the cheapest rate in my area, so my choice is simple. I'd have rather went with a mom and pop place but they have to high an overhead to compete. Good luck and return soon.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Imported From Detroit
Hall of Fame DM 2010

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6553
Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos
I used to work for them, you should do what most people do, which is......If you have more than one cable company in your area, you sign up for their 6/12 month package, then when that expires, switch back to the other for their 6/12 month package, they always have deals going to get back old customers.
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 10:41 PM
site dinosaur
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008  

Hall of Fame DM 2009

Tools
User Statistics
ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin ridin gaijin
H'm. Thanks for the tip, but Comcast rules here, cable-wise. There's DSL, but I don't want a phone line. Also, I think I'll be in this apartment 3-6 months, not more. God willing...

Now, if you know secret Comcast-getting-secrets, we should talk, Amos...

NO xp please! It's no longer possible to earn negative xp. These gray dots are highly endangered! Don't kill them!
Old Jan 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Imported From Detroit
Hall of Fame DM 2010

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6553
Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos Amos
If your in an apartment, cable would be easy, Internet, not so much.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
Lemon Eater
Good People  

Elder Event Judge  

Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25373
Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak Embrodak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin ridin
H'm. Thanks for the tip, but Comcast rules here, cable-wise. There's DSL, but I don't want a phone line. Also, I think I'll be in this apartment 3-6 months, not more. God willing...
DSL was deregulated. They can provide you with DSL service with out a phone bundled to it.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Ancient Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 300
daveron daveron daveron daveron
comcast is evil, they always look for ways to jack up your bill. They promised unlimited broadband for $33 but somehow we got bills in the hundreds.

I have sprint now.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
site dinosaur
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008  

Hall of Fame DM 2009

Tools
User Statistics
Huh. I could've sworn I'd posted this yesterday. Oh well.

Hmmnn. It looks like my tax refunds will enable me to take advantage of the free Southwest ticket a friend has offered me, fly back to Connecticut, and then ride the Tiger back here to NM.* Since I'm just a temp, I don't see a problem in taking a week or so off work.

In my reduced circumstances, there is in fact a certain freedom!

If taken, such a trip would be through the southern states, rather than the midwest--it's just not that time of year. I'm thinking MD, VA, NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, southern TX, then NM. But I might detour through FL, since I've not ridden in that state yet. I don't know.

Have to see. First step: wait for the supposed refunds to land in my too-lean bank account!

Meanwhile, the gradual upswing continues with another good week drawing to a close! Check it out: my folks gave me $500 for Christmas. I put it in my Triumph folder along with my extra stickers, maintenance records, etc...and then forgot about it. In subsequent weeks, after the road trip out here with my daughters, I just ruefully assumed I'd spent it on us.

But! Yesterday I was rooting around in there for something and found it! Now I can get the Tiger its crash bars, and the other bike crap on my list! A wonderful surprise...brought on by a wise action on my part. Sometimes the best thing you can do with money is stash it and forget about it for a while...

* This would be a far more responsible course of action than saving it to help offset a dreaded Virginia demand for the $4k in 2003 taxes they say they've uncovered.

Old Feb 6th, 2008, 11:19 PM
site dinosaur
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008  

Hall of Fame DM 2009

Tools
User Statistics
It's virtually certain: the morning of March 21, I'll be in the Albuquerque airport, carrying my riding gear, waiting on Standby to exercise a friend's gift of a ticket to CT. Give it two days to fly in and prep the bike, and then I'm off, by low roads, back roads and scenic roads, through Delaware, Virginia, the Carolinas, Georgia, Florida, the belly of the Gulf Coast, and central/southern Texas. I'm thinking 10 days or so.

I can't wait.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 08:58 AM
LOC-NAR

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5959
Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy Amy
Awesome news. That you are avoiding that dangerous curve in Louisville, that it.

Good luck!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Briefly here, Oct 2, 2018
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5497
CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH CE2JRH
Quote:
riding gear,
Makes a horse joke.

(That's awesome! I hope you have fun!)
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:08 AM
*hums*
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 143
Sorator Sorator
Heh; I wish I could do something like that. Have fun though!

Does this mean you won't be around for that week and a half, or will you still get on via laptop at night or something?
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:28 PM
site dinosaur
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008  

Hall of Fame DM 2009

Tools
User Statistics
I won't have room for the laptop on the bike--though I'll check in via public libraries every couple days or so. When it gets closer to the date I'll post an explanation with my availability, and then do the 'ridin is away' thing.

Closed Thread