RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Questions and Site Discussions
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 05-07-2019, 01:38 AM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21239
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
You can hide
Dice example roll:
1d20 20
rolls or images in a tool tip (TT) as well. The code I just did there is as follows:
[TT="rolls"][DICE="example roll"]1d20[/DICE][/TT]
and:
[TT="images "][IMG]https://cdn.rpgcrossing.com/images/misc/masksu_crop.jpg[/IMG][/TT]

Old 05-07-2019, 01:51 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6193
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
The Site Rules & Help in the tool bar at the top has a number of BBCode tutorials.

-me
Old 05-07-2019, 05:11 PM
Support Main

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 498
Feldring Feldring Feldring Feldring Feldring
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatmeal View Post
It's the TT button in the red circle on the toolbar above where you type in your posts.

Also, if there's ever any formatting options that you really like that someone else has used, the easiest way to use it yourself is by quoting the post you liked and I only know because I've done this several times myself....then look at the formatting in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Pond
You can hide
rolls or images in a tool tip (TT) as well. The code I just did there is as follows:
Dice example roll:
1d20 14
rolls
and:
images
Thank you so very much, Goatmeal and Still_Pond! That is precisely what I was looking for (and which isn't in the forum documentation, though apparently I missed the big red button with the tooltip abbreviation in the posting toolbar). It's a much more elegant manner of handling certain things than the methods I usually employ. The fact that you can hide rolls or images in there is also magnificent.

The Site Rules & Help are also VERY useful for learning about the rest of the BBcode, jj_wolven, thank you.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:15 AM
El'the

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 719
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
When I first saw the forum for Tabletop Games, I was glad to see that it was what I hoped it would be - a matchmaking forum for people seeking to game IRL with others that they met here.

But it got me thinking... with the dice rolling mechanic, a great many actual board games could be played on a by-post basis. I mean, heck, Monopoly takes forever anyway. On a forum like this you could actually finish a game.

Decks of cards could present a challenge in some cases but Basically an excel spreadsheet that uses a random number generator to shuffle the deck when neededI've got some ideas about that.

So I was thinking of testing this idea out, but thought I should check in here first. Are Games Seeking Players restricted to actual RPGs, or would a Board Game be a viable "Other" game post?
Old 06-13-2019, 06:16 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20230
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
@auntmousie: Why not?
We once had a game of Scrabble going but there are so many cool boardgames out there that I would really want to encourage you to think of a concept how it would work and post a new thread over here. Please try and use all the RPG-facilities instead of taking players elsewhere but besides that: GO FOR IT

I'm a real boardgame lover myself so please start; cool

Last edited by chocoladevla; 06-13-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:14 PM
Deepweed Matrix Hacker

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 241
Nstol Nstol Nstol
A question about solo games......

Can PC's be changed out for another and/or can a new GM be assigned to the same game?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:27 PM
Game Operations Director

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5723
GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen GodRosen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
@auntmousie: Why not?
We once had a game of Scrabble going but there are so many cool boardgames out there that I would really want to encourage you to think of a concept how it would work and post a new thread over here. Please try and use all the RPG-facilities instead of taking players elsewhere but besides that: GO FOR IT

I'm a real boardgame lover myself so please start; cool
There is a board game I was considering running on here but I was informed that I should steer away from that as to keep the site out of trouble on the copyright side of things. If we are indeed allowed to play board games on here is there certain board games we should stay clear of playing or certain things while playing board games that we should not do?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:51 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15668
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstol View Post
A question about solo games......

Can PC's be changed out for another and/or can a new GM be assigned to the same game?
Could you be more specific? Which solo game? (It doesn't sound like you mean the New Player Solo GameNPSG...) Are you not able to speak to the GM? Switching GMs for game forums is basically a no-go, without the explicit permission of the original GM (and if the GM was around, you probably wouldn't be asking us these questions here). Same with switching PCs. Its up to the GM, and if they're not around, then you're probably better off just starting a new game in a new forum/folder/thread.

5e one-shot adventure in development, to be advertised late August or early September.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:09 PM

Tools
User Statistics
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodRosen View Post
There is a board game I was considering running on here but I was informed that I should steer away from that as to keep the site out of trouble on the copyright side of things. If we are indeed allowed to play board games on here is there certain board games we should stay clear of playing or certain things while playing board games that we should not do?
The best and safest way is to ask the designer/artist for permission to play their game over here. For example, I now that Scythe's Stonemaier is really approachable and helpful to answer a question. If you are thinking about older games just PM the designer or publisher, newer games sent them a message through Facebook ;-).

I have now several permissions of playing games over here, I got a written consent of Clockwork System to use their Tephra-material, got a consent tweet of someone running their game over here (forgot his name, boo on me). Let me know if you need help mingling ;-)
Old 06-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Deepweed Matrix Hacker

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 241
Nstol Nstol Nstol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
Could you be more specific? Which solo game? (It doesn't sound like you mean the New Player Solo GameNPSG...) Are you not able to speak to the GM? Switching GMs for game forums is basically a no-go, without the explicit permission of the original GM (and if the GM was around, you probably wouldn't be asking us these questions here). Same with switching PCs. Its up to the GM, and if they're not around, then you're probably better off just starting a new game in a new forum/folder/thread.
That answers my question. Thank you!

So I understand this much so far. I am the GM in a Solo game and I can allow someone to GM in my place.
So I can assume that the same goes for PC's. You can have more the one PC in a solo thread in succession.
I just assumed that since the GM did not start the Thread there were limitations on it's members.

Thank you again for your reply.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:24 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15668
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nstol View Post
So I understand this much so far. I am the GM in a Solo game and I can allow someone to GM in my place.
So I can assume that the same goes for PC's. You can have more the one PC in a solo thread in succession.
I just assumed that since the GM did not start the Thread there were limitations on it's members.
I'm still not quite sure that I understand, but I'm glad I've been helpful so far.

If you mean a Solo Game, as run in our Solo Game forum, those are just threads. corrected by AethAnyone could post, and everyone has the same site permissions to do so (though it would be incredibly rude to post in a game that wasn't yours). Same would be true if you start something in the Solo Bazaar - it's just a thread that anyone could post to.

Now if the GM started their own eg, one of the games in the Shadowrun forumgame forum, then they do have special permissions that they and they alone (excepting folks with Red names like me) can exercise. Someone else couldn't just hop in as a full-fledged GM. That GM is able to allow whoever they want to play, in whatever order or manner they please. Again, technically pretty much anyone can post to any game on the site, but if you're not invited to do so, it's very rude to do so, and the players of the game may flag you for attention by the Reds.

5e one-shot adventure in development, to be advertised late August or early September.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 06-13-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-13-2019, 01:40 PM
evil daystar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38539
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Solo game threads in the Solo Games forum are locked to the participants who requested it, though the opening post is made by the moderator who approves the game. A new GM must be approved by the original GM, but can be added as needed. Solo games are not intended for group play, but if the first PC goes AWOL or something, then yes, the GM could technically start a new PC. Mostly people request a new thread and start from scratch with the new PC, though, it keeps everything cleaner and prevents complaints from someone who went silent for awhile coming back and finding their thread being played by other(s).
Old 06-13-2019, 08:53 PM
The Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 57363
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodRosen View Post
Yup, Choco has it answered... you still need to be careful of copyright infringement. So, if you could somehow play a football game here, you could... but legally, you couldn't use the rules, stats, and game dynamics of Madden 2019, or technically use the Kansas City Chiefs as your team name, etc..

I would stay away from playing a game called Trivial Pursuit, where you collect pie shaped wedges and answer theme based trivia questions. If you just want to play "Pursuit of Trivia", and give wedgies for answering questions right, that would probably be fine.

Interestingly enough, it appears that Monopoly lost some of their trademark protections a while back, so... Dragonopoly would be perfectly legal. But, you should not use Hasbro's tokens/shapes, because those are still copyrighted.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:36 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2076
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
What would be the best Forum for asking for feedback regarding a custom archetype for a 5e D&D class? Homebrew Rules? 5e Class Discussions? Somewhere else?
Old 06-16-2019, 02:17 AM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflier View Post
What would be the best Forum for asking for feedback regarding a custom archetype for a 5e D&D class? Homebrew Rules? 5e Class Discussions? Somewhere else?
Starting a new thread over here?