Game Thread Chapter 1: A Rock and a Hard Place. - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > The Wandering And The Lost
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 8th, 2021, 02:03 PM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14545
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
An'mal
left-aligned image
Name: An'mal

The rocks collapsed buring a unit of kobolds with it. An'mal hardly paused when Bossy Lass paused. He was looking for eggs, and Yddraixl. Kobolds weren't neither of those things. He just kept running straight cos Snepa had pointed straight. The tortle hadn't mentioned they would need to take a right or a left. The eggs were straight ahead. An'mal was certain of it ... or was he? Sprint slowed to a jog. Jog came to a stop. He turned and looked back over his shoulder. What had Snepa said? An'mal scratched his luscious locks which somehow had returned to their nearly perfect place since Gristle had tried to nest on his head.

Gristle! An'mal heard the kobold's voice through the haze of his rising rage. When Gristle spoke, An'mal would listen, for Gristle was the embodiment of the music. His song had kept Snepa from death long enough to tell them to go straight. Straight! An'mal needed to go straight! Why had he stopped?? Oh yeah, Gristle was saying something. "...I'm good at digging kobolds out of cave ins!" Gristle clearly knew something An'mal did not, there was something or someone important under those rocks. As the leader of the band, Gristle's way, was the way! An'mal ran back to the collapsed junction. It seemed Gristle was composing a song as he tried to dig out his fellows from beneath the rocks ... the title was catchy: the Good Good Underground Sewer Land. "Nice" An'mal purred his approval has he threw himself into the rock clearing, trying to haul out the kobold who was sticking out the most, while he repeated with a warbled howl. "And half of them got crushed to death anyway deep in the Good Good Underground Sewerland! Rrrrrocks!" Thud th-thud thud. An'mal began rocking again. And by that, I mean that he began tossing rocks in what could only be described as a semi-rhythmical fashion. And kind of singing apparently. "When I lived in the sewers I got hit in the skull like twelvety-six times! Falling Rrrrrocks!"

Last edited by jbear; Jan 8th, 2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 11:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10638
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
Day 1

right-aligned image
The group's first instinct in situations that involved cave-ins seemed to currently involve digging things out. At least it seemed to be instinct to what some are viewing as the de-facto leader of the group, Gristle. Gristle went straight to the rock rubble and starting doing what he could for the trapped Kobolds. While Baruuk was determining the safety of the situation, Dagg, Ayaga, Harp and An'Mal were putting muscle against rock, and extricating who and what they could.

The first one that they could get to was Pilfer, and soon after two other Kobolds were removed from the rubble. Pilfer was worse for ware, as one of his arms hung limp, a foot was turned at an odd angle, and part of his tail was missing. But the he wasn't one to stop when things were needed. He quickly ordered the two other kobolds that were uncovered to begin digging out others that could be dug out before turning his attention, and his battered body towards the group before him.

He looked at the group that had just uncovered him, instantly recognizing Dagg, since she was the one that he had direct contact with. "I da' know n'ting 'bout no eggs." He shook his head, almost trying to get it back in order to determine what he needed to say. "I know there be n'truders don 'ere. I da know what's goin' on above, but dere be a group we was followin'. And dey look like dey 'ad a guide. Someone dat know bit o' down 'ere. Yddraixl got a meeting spot deep below were she holds moots wit her mose trusted... Snepa, Tucker, Fun Fun... I da' know why that little gobber's ever dere... 'En Uders.

Pilfer looked back at the progress that the two other Kobolds had made, and saw a third was out, and a fourth almost uncovered. But there would be a lot of work to be done still to get the passageway cleared. "We'll 'na stop dem before dey get to the meet. Ne'er get ta Yddraixl 'fore dem... u'less." Pilver looked at the group that was with Dagg. To him they seemed like a stupid enough lot. Perhaps they might be that... or at least crazy enough for something else. "Dere mi' be a'way ta get ta da meet 'fore Dem. But it won't be fun." Pilfer grabbed his half broken spear, with just the blade, and a half a handle on it, and began limping back towards the crossway that An'mal had originally started going down before returning to help Gristle.

"Well! You comin'?" Pilfer looks back at the group, seeing if he can convince them to follow.

OOGMDoes anyone recognize the intentional movie reference in the post? There might be an unintentional one that I didn't realize I put in.

Also, let me know if you need a Pilfer Translation.

Map:
Code:
   |x|
   | |
---/ \---
O       
---\ /---
   | |
    ^
O = Ceiling rubble collapse.
^ = Direction group is coming from.
x = Direction Pilfer is now going.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pilfer.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	89096  
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 02:36 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10466
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Baruuk Talonface
right-aligned image
Baruuk hesitated just a moment while the others rushed forward to help extricate the kobolds from beneath the rocks. It wasn't that he didn't care about their fate, but he was filled with an over abundance of caution. Before, they had been alone in a small room. Just them and the rubble. But here... here there four approaches. One they had come from, he was reasonably sure of its security. Another was safely blocked by the cave-in itself. Wherever the kobolds had been going, whatever they might have been chasing... it wasn't going to get any closer until the rocks were cleared. But that left two hallways stretching off beyond the limits of even his bugbear eyes. While the others dug, he stood watch, bow at the ready.

From behind him, he heard the noises as the first of the kobolds was extricated. The ranger found Pilfer's words difficult to follow... but he was able to get the gist of things. Looks like the kobolds were just as in the dark about this whole egg business as Baruuk was himself... he wasn't quite sure how he felt about the level of company he was being kept in... but nothing could be done about that now. But the kobold did seem to be more in the know about the general goings on above. Whatever these pinkskins were up to, it didn't seem likely that their intentions were pure.

If they were going to win glory this day, it wouldn't be above. It would be down here, in the dark. Baruuk nodded at Pilfer's words. He wasn't sure just how bad a path had to be before the kobolds thought it 'not fun', but it seemed that they were about to find out. "We're coming."

OOC

Old Jan 13th, 2021, 05:59 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3590
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770
Daggonae 'Dagg' Bloodbane
right-aligned image
Dagg
Character Sheet

Dagg stopped working, grabbed her spear and gave a long, hard look at Pilfer. She wasn't entirely certain that she trusted him, but then again, she didn't 'trust' anyone. But, in this instance, she determined him to be straightforward enough that she'd be willing to follow.

She glanced at the rest of the group, assessing their spirits. They were hard workers and good stock. A barely perceptible smirk broke her icy demeanor before fading back into her focused Resting Bugbear FaceRBF. Without a word, she looked to Pilfer and nodded.

OOCBefore I make a post, I'd like to do an Insight Check on Pilfer. I'm trying not to metagame or anything, but Dagg would be on high alert and I think she would be looking for anything out of the ordinary involving his mannerisms, speech patterns, etc. I figure that Dagg is somewhat familiar with Pilfer and, being who she is, she's probably observed him and his mannerisms and drawn some conclusions about how he would behave in one situation or another.

Just looking to see if she feels like, in this moment, Pilfer is honest and just wants to lead us to Yddraixl or if he has some sort of ulterior motives. Don't want to be led into an ambush.

I got an 11.

Last edited by Reliq0770; Jan 14th, 2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jan 13th, 2021, 07:37 PM
Great Wyrm
Outplay 2018  

Hall of Fame DM 2017

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14545
jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear jbear
An'mal
left-aligned image
Name: An'mal

An'mal helped haul out the busted kobold and looked up at Gristle to see if it was time to run on. Nope ... Gristle was still digging out kobolds. An'mal dug some more and helped free another pair of them. They could dig themselves out now; not that he didn't love rocking with his band but An'mal had other places to be ... somewhere straight down that passage. Dusting off his hands and smoothing back his hair, An'mal snorted some dust that had gotten stuck up his nostrils and turned to jog away (his growing rage seemingly reduced to a lower simmer as the physical effort and the music that emerged from the task seemed to re-centre An'mal back towards his cool, calm collected self).

The busted kobold first rescued began to talk right at the moment. Ahh... this is why wise Gristle stopped to rock... the broken one knows important things! An'mal turned back to listen. "I da' know n'ting 'bout no eggs." Well that was disappointing ... An'mal turned back to leave. "I know there be n'truders don 'ere." Oh no, wait he does know something after all. An'mal stopped and listened once more. "I da know what's goin' on above..." Ok, An'mal was losing patience. He was certain not even the broken one himself knew if he knew anything important. He began to jog off ... why wasn't everyone else jogging off with him? An'mal was almost out of ear shot by the time Pilver said "We'll 'na stop dem before dey get to the meet. Ne'er get ta Yddraixl 'fore dem... u'less..." An'mal stopped again and rubbed his chin thinking to himself... Should I stay or should I go now? ... should I stay ... or should I go now ... If I stay Yddraixl's in trouble. But if I go the wrong way there will be double ... An'mal's foot was tapping as he thought all of this. No, Snepa said it was this way! The broken one is just a tease tease tease! Having heard enough to know that he wasn't going hear anything important, An'mal ran off just before he heard the really important part. At least he was running in the right direction.

Last edited by jbear; Jan 13th, 2021 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 06:30 PM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7050
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Gristle
right-aligned image

Gristle nodded to himself, pleased. The kobolds were digging themselves out of the rubble, just as he knew they should. Kobolds were smart like that! It was a good motto: When the walls fall down on you, you just pull yourself up by whatever bones aren't snapped into bits and keep goin' about your day. Unless, of course, all of your bones were snapped into bits, in which case you should probably rethink your plans for the day, and the foreseeable future. At least, that's what Gristle assumed you should do. He'd never really gotten the chance to discuss such things with anyone who had actually broken all of their bones in a cave-in, on account of them either A: being occupied with screaming in agony or B: being Not Alive (and occasionally C:, which is Option A quickly followed by Option B).

Pilfer, minus part of a tail, pulled himself free (See? Usin' those non-broken bones to keep goin' about your day!) and directed the group down a hallway. Gristle was stuck in his musings about cave-ins and broken bones, but he caught Pilfer using the words "Yddraixl," "meeting spot" and "fun," so that's probably good.

Most importantly, Scary Lady Dagg and Sad Friend Baruuk were already following Pilfer, and Noisy Friend An'mal had taken off almost immediately, which meant that Gristle should follow them too. Gristle liked having other people do the important things like "paying attention" and "making decisions," which really weren't his forte. He was glad he wasn't the leader, as leading tended to involve those sorts of things, and the last time he was put in charge of something important was the time he got his head stuck in a railing for three hours and somehow started a small fire in a room full of dried lichen.

Last edited by Pseudonymous; Jan 14th, 2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 05:31 PM
Undead and Lovin' It

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2632
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Harp Strum
right-aligned image
Harp Strum
Character Sheet

Harp Strum supposed orcs were a wee bit egg-like, so long as you squint at them the right way. What with their big, lumpy heads and pallid colors, Harp Strum could very easily think that just maybe the brutish giants were hatched from some very big, very ugly eggs. Even Ayaga struck her as a prime egg candidate the more she looked at him. He was colored like an egg. Well, a rotten one, anyways. And his head was oval-ish. A bit broader around the jaw-line but if Harp Strum squeezed her right eye close just enough, she saw the makings of a fine egghead! But unfortunately that was as far as her eggspiracy went before Pilfer mentioned that he knew a shortcut to the Viridescent One.

That was all the information Harp Strum (and co.) needed to pick up arms again. Harp Strum bounced onto her feet and yanked her hood back down. Her feathered face hidden, except for her cracked beak which continued to stick out like a sore thumb no matter how hard Harp Strum tugged her hood forward. Thumbing the handle of her dagger, she looked to Dagg then to An’mal then to Baruuk as they all agreed without saying much of anything at all that they’d follow Pilfer towards his clever little shortcut. Harp Strum wanted to ask where they were going and what made it unfun but Harp Strum was a clever enough bird to know there were better times for questions. No, she’ll just save her questions for when they were in the middle of something important!

Slipping up behind An’mal like a second shadow, Harp Strum stayed low to the ground. She tried to vanish into the dark again. She really did try. But the rhythmic beat of An’mal’s heavy steps put that pretty little tune of his back in her head, and eventually, Harp Strum just couldn’t help but hum under her breath. "And half of them got crushed to death anyway deep in the Good Good Underground Sewerland! Rrrrrocks!"

Last edited by Strangemund; Jan 19th, 2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jan 19th, 2021, 05:58 PM
gro-Zug

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8269
Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug
The resident orc did not have as much luck with digging as he had wanted. His hands had tightened so fiercely and white-knuckled around his shield grip and the haft of his pick during the run after Sneppa's death that they opened slowly and worked sluggishly. Still, enough was done so that the kobolds could begin getting the rest of their number out. He was secretly glad he had not uncovered any dead ones, partly for the simple fact of not wanting more death among their own, but also because he wouldn't have known how to address the nameless, scaly dead. Better that their living kin do so. He would have hated to unwittingly defile something. The thought crossed his mind that the dwarf body back behind them needed dealing with if and when all of this was over- if for no other reason than to spare the living a very short but no less terrible ghost resentful at its lack of beer-basted burial rites. But that could and would wait.

Once he had massaged his fingers a bit and flattened smooth a little shred of skin that had gotten torn up, Ayaga tuned back in to the conversation. He tried to ignore the sensation of something boring into his very bones and soul, and glanced over at the curiously squint-eyed kenku several times, but said nothing of it. He scrunched his brow up slightly and remained several words behind Pilfer while deciphering exactly what the kobold was saying through his markedly different accent. But when the lamed 'bold began to hobble his way down one passage, Ayaga jogged closer until he was a few paces behind. "Wait. Who were they? How many? What did they look like? The group you were following, how did you judge they are being guided?"

Old Jan 21st, 2021, 09:57 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10638
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
Day 1

right-aligned image
Pilfer found himself now being followed by five of the most motley lot he had encountered in a long time. The sixth of the group had gone ahead, but at least he had gone the correct way. "Whaz hiz roosh?" Pilfer questions to the group behind him, as he hobbles down the hallway as best he can, surely slowing down the groups normal speed. Occasionally, he would stop at a seemingly innocuous place, pull aside a random rock, grab something from underneath, put it in a satchel that he was carrying, and then put the rock back.

Six times he did this, every time, pushing over a different type of rock: sometimes in a group, another covers in mud, the last one actually embedded in the wall. If you didn't know what to look for, it would take hours of meticulous searching to find even the first rock. There where some times that the group would stop, guessing as they waited to see which rock Pilfer would turn over, only for the kobold to say he was just catching his breath and move on.

Since Ayaga had managed to ask a very interesting question, it caused Pilfer to stop and pause in order to think of the details that he was interested in. "Dar wer fi' o'dem. Leadin' was a fat bugbar. At least 'E was showen da way. Two wit'out arm'r. One's da one dat caused da cave-ins. 'Uman lookin. Two was armored to da teeth... couldn't even see any skin on da one. Da uder looked "'Oly", if you catch me.

"Day was go'en stray to'ard Yddraixl. Didn't matter if we blocked dem, or try to get down down a side passage. 'Stray as en arro', day was goin'."
At this last part he slowly stabbed his straightened hand forward in a slow thrusting motion without stopping until his arm was fully extended. "Mus'a been goin' for Yddraixl." He said this statement with quick cock of his head, signifying it was the only possible conclusion given the clues.

Finally after continuing down the corridor, the group found themselves looking at a dead-end. A site that An'mal had been greeted with several minutes earlier. Pilfer walked up to the mass of earth that seemed to bar their path, and put his hand on it, as if looking for something. With a confused face, the kobold took several steps back and cocked his head, as if slightly confused. Finally he stood to the side of the cave, his hand on the wall holding him up from falling down.

"Ere!" He said, turning his head looking at his hand upon the wall. "Move dis rock." Those not as trained in how to look at rocks, and cavern walks just saw a cavern wall, but to at least Gristle, it was obvious. There was a slight roundedness to that part of the wall and there looked to be a slight indentation at the edges.

OOGMWell, not more more to do than calm down An'mal, who is probably pissed at this point, and make some Strength/Athletics checks to move a large rock... when I say large, I'm talking the size of Gristle.

Old Jan 24th, 2021, 07:25 PM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7050
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
Gristle
right-aligned image

Gristle, graced with perhaps more enthusiasm than actual ability, skittered over to the massive rock Pilfer pointed out and dug his little claws into a gap between it and the stone behind it. He pulled with all his might, his feet pinwheeling uselessly against the floor as he struggled for purchase, but the stone remained unmoved.

"Something's... wrong with... this rock!" he huffed, still struggling against the stone that was at least three inches taller than he was himself. "Wait, wait, no... I... I got it now!"

He did, in fact, not have it now. The stone shifted ever so slightly, only to rock back into the exact same spot it inhabited before.

Gristle gave one last pull, losing his grip and tumbling back onto his backside.

"Not a good rock!" he grunted.

He clambered to his feet and studied the massive stone with all the brain power he could muster, which honestly wasn't much. They needed to move the rock. Pilfer says the rock needed to move. Gristle could not move the rock. But the rock needed to move. It is big. Gristle is not as big. But wait! There are other people in his clan now! Bigger people! Yes... Yes! It was a crazy idea, but it just might work!

"Wait..." Gristle says, turning slowly to the others. "Kobolds are normal sized, and the rock is kobold-sized, but you are all big! What if..." He paused as his train of thought momentarily derailed. Give him a minute. "What if... You... move the rock?" And there it is. A grin slowly lit up his face as the realization of his own brilliance hit him.

"And I can make The Noise to Help Move Rocks!" He pulled the little drum from his back. "I know that... um..." He paused, the grin momentarily melting away, "Um... I know that The Noise To Make Snepa Not Die was... not a helpful noise," he said awkwardly, nervously tapping the drum with his fingertips. "But The Noise has to be helpful now. Maybe it was tired, and that's why it didn't help Snepa. But now it has to work! I can make The Noise... And... The Noise will have to work! It will!" His voice was slightly tinged with an edge of desperation.

The grin returned, now a bit wild, and Gristle raised a drumstick above his head.

BANG BANG BANG!!!

"MOVE! THE ROCK!" he belted out with a whoop. BANG BANG! "MOVE! THE ROCK!" Bang ba-BANG! "WE ARE GOOD AT MOVING THE ROCK!" BANG BANG BANG! "THIS IS THE NOISE-- BANG Ba-BANG! "--TO HELP MOVE THE ROOOOCK!!!"

ACTIONSGristle will grant one BARDIC INSPIRATION to the next person to post. A d6 to you, lucky individual!

Last edited by Pseudonymous; Jan 24th, 2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 12:00 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10466
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Baruuk Talonface
right-aligned image
Baruuk sighed a little inside as Pilfer indicated yet another rock lying between the group and their goal. Their aim kept shifting, escaping their room, unearthing the kobolds, finding Yddraixl... but there always seemed to be the same thing standing in their way. Even the dwarf... what was a dwarf except a rock with a beard?

The bugbear had sat out the kobold excavation. Out in the open, with so many branching paths, he'd felt too tense to let down his guard like that. But here in this dead-end, with his companions around him, he could relax a little. He left his bow propped against the cavern wall and waited respectfully back while Gristle did his best to move a rock as big as he was. Baruuk's thick eyebrows raised slightly when the stone did in fact start to move, but they settled down again once it rolled back into place.

He was a little less amused by this 'Rock Roll' music that the kobold was now providing them with, although it was undeniably catchy. Sounds could carry a long distance along these small, twisting corridors. But, asking Gristle to be quieter was a self-defeating proposal. He'd probably just compose a 'Being Quiet' song for their benefit. No, the best way to get him to stop was to move the rock, right?

Baruuk stepped forward to see what kind of leverage he could get on the boulder. "Thank you, Gristle. Now that you've loosened it up, I'm sure it will be much easier to move." He put his back into it and leaned into the boulder, long limbs coiled up like springs. Was it moving? Was the song working?

OOC

Last edited by hafrogman; Jan 25th, 2021 at 12:01 AM.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 03:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3590
Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770 Reliq0770
Daggonae 'Dagg' Bloodbane
right-aligned image
Dagg
Character Sheet

Dagg listened closely and observed Pilfer as they made their way down the tunnel. His strange habit of picking up rocks seemed peculiar, but she assumed it was important enough to merit slowing their progress.

What's more, she took note of their prey. Approximately 5 enemies;

'One holy individual... Best to target this one first. The last thing we need is for any of the Pink-Skins' Gods getting involved in this.

Two heavily armed individuals. Probably best to have An'mal and Ayaga tackle these two head on, while Harp-Strum and Baruuk make precision strikes on the weak parts in their armor.

That just leaves the last two that weren't wearing much in the way of armor. Without knowing their capabilities, I'm at a significant disadvantage, but if Gristle can stay behind me and provide support as needed, we may have a shot...'

The wheels in her head continued to turn as she planned out the upcoming conflict.

'That leaves the bugbear that is with them. If it's being coerced, then perhaps death would be too harsh a punishment for this betrayal. However, by assisting the Pink Skins, this bugbear has committed treason and must bear some penalty for their actions. If it were up to me, I'd sentence them to imprisonment or banishment...

Whatever the case, we need to ensure that we take them by surprise. A swift and overwhelming surprise attack would do wonders to swing the odds in our favor.'

Dagg continues to ponder options and scenarios, not realizing that her body has been on autopilot as they walked. Snapping out of her strategizing, Dagg saw An'Mal attempting to move a rock of some sort. Best to lend a hand.

She took up a position next to him, giving him a nod;

"On three? One... Two... Three!"

Putting her strength and weight behind it, she helped as best she could in attempting to move the rock.