Game Thread Chapter 1: Something Wicked - Page 6 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Touch of Prophecy
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Peter172's Avatar
Peter172 Peter172 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 22nd, 2022
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Posts: 9,253
Nalus turned his head once more in an inquisitive posture. "I realize that I might frighten people a little. After all Warfirged were built for battle. I will try my best to seem friendly, and non threatening."

Nalus didn't quite get what Fraela was talking about, he thought he had it right though.

"I take it you have some skill in the art of investigation then? That will come in handy, I know little of such things and tend to be a little direct, or so I am told."

Last edited by Peter172; Jul 29th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 08:35 PM
oogoa oogoa is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 24th, 2011
RPXP: 61
oogoa
Posts: 95
Koralask, watching the two groups split away, was faced with a tough decision. He glanced towards his sister for guidance, but she seemed utterly preoccupied by something or other, and he couldn't quite connect with her. Glancing back and forth hopelessly, he finally scurried after the warforged and dragonmarked woman, hoping that two such unusual people would draw attention away from himself.

Huffing slightly, he caught up to them, and nodded a greeting, blushing furiously.
__________________
"There's no such thing as fighting dirty and fighting clean. There's fighting, and then there's losing."
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 10:32 PM
IrishKatt's Avatar
IrishKatt IrishKatt is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2023
RPXP: 1645
IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt
Posts: 2,863
Aliandrah stays silent, and moves with the warforged, dragonmarked woman, and her brother. Drawing unnecessary attention to themselves. From her pack she pulls out a cloak of the same material as her clothing, and puts it around her to hide the tattooed skin, and her colored eyes. A precaution her brother had forced on her some time ago.
__________________

Natural 20's:15
Natural 1's: 3
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:31 AM
ShadowcatX's Avatar
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2023
RPXP: 5568
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Posts: 4,524
Peter172, Oogoa, IrishKatt, mad_gondsman
Finding the courthouse isn't difficult, any citizen can direct you to it. Fortunately you even notice an occasional warforged going about their business so even Nalus doesn't attract too much attention. The courthouse itself is large, it serves as the police station and the jail as well as the courthouse. Beside it is the smaller but still impressive town hall. Weapons, as a matter of course, are required to be surrendered when you enter either building.

Inside the court house you are directed to a clerk who takes one look at you, rolls his eyes, and hands you a piece of paper work asking for your name, occupation, reason for coming and reason for investigating as well as your planned length of stay in town and signing it says you accept all responsibility for damage incurred or criminal acts committed in the pursuit of your investigation. The license itself will cost 5 gp and will make you an official investigator for a month. Freyla is able to sweet talk her way into getting to look at the case files for the on going investigations.

As you sit and fill out your paper work a young officer walks by and nods at you. "I hope you have better luck than the last young lady who got one of those, she is the one who got killed by the werewolf. Pity you all didn't get here a couple days before, we only keep those cards for 2 weeks after they expire, otherwise we might've had hers on file."

Case File: Werewolf AttackOn their way back from Varna Thorester and Victakain found the body later identified as that of Loyala. Loyala was an an adventurer who had come to Redleaf and obtained an investigative license for the purpose of pursuing rumors of illegal drug smuggling. Victakain, an apothecary and an acolyte of the Sovereign Host diagnosed the cause of death as a bite from a werewolf through a mixture of herbalism and alchemy. The Silver Flame confirmed.

Loyala's remains were cremated and her possessions sent to a Brother Talesin via House Orien currier as she requested in a letter found on her corpse. The possessions included a small amount of gold, clothing, chain mail and a long sword.

This is the first werewolf attack in the region in over three years.


Case File: Murder of AaronAaron was a dwarven smith, well liked in his community. He was found murdered this morning and his shop was apparently robbed, all his silver weaponry is missing. The cause of death is severe blunt force trauma, he was beaten to death by someone, or something, strong.


You all have permission to investigate both cases, and will be well rewarded if you bring forward information that leads to an arrest in either case. You do not have permission to make any such arrests yourself though, except in emergencies (ie. If the local law feels you did them a favor).




Cherubaddon, CidoflasThe local apothecary shop owned by Thorester and Victakain is open for business when you arrive, but is, for the moment empty. A human woman looking to be in her mid to late forties greets you as you walk in. She wears the holy symbol of the Sovereign Host around her neck.

"Greetings. You're not from around here, I can tell, I always know the locals. I am Victakain, and owner of this little establishment along side my husband Thorester, and if you've come seeking herbal remedies, alchemical concoctions, or even a minor potion or scroll you have certainly come to the right place. How may I be of help to you this fine morning?"

Upon hearing the reason for your visit her face falls. "There is evil afoot, I tell you, and my husband and I fear for our lives. It seems that murdering the poor innocent girl along the road was not enough, it had to break in to Aaron's shop next door, and murder him to. You don't think it broke into his shop because I brought the body here and examined it do you? If that had anything to do with Aaron's death I don't think I can forgive myself. He and Thorester were friends, you know.

Oh dear me, listen at me prattle on, would you dearies care for some tea and cookies? I made them myself fresh this morning."


As you two talk to Victakain the door behinds you opens and glancing over your shoulder you notice Minharath walk in. A man slightly older than Victakain walks over and begins talking to Minharath.


SaidandeAsking about for a place that you might get silversheen for your weapon leads you to the apothecary shop. It seems the one of the owners is also a fairly talented magewright.

Walking in you notice Aymeric and Urgen talking to a middle aged lady about the murder next door. A gentleman from the back comes out and inquires about what you need. Upon hearing that you're after silversheen he nods his head. "I figured that demand for it would increase after having found the woman murdered by that dreadful werewolf. I've been making extra along as I could. Its two hundred and fifty gold a vial but if you kill the werewolf I'll gladly refund your money and give you additional payment for the beast's coat."
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Peter172's Avatar
Peter172 Peter172 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 22nd, 2022
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Posts: 9,253
"Well then, "said Nalus as he paced back and forth thinking. "It would seem we have two leads to investigate. Shall we head over to the apothecary and see how the others are doing there, or shall we go and take a look at the silversmiths shop?"

Nalus figured the silversmiths shop was probably a better bet since the crime was more recent. He had an inkling that there might be some kind of tracks or something the thief and murderer could have left behind.

"Do either of you have any skill in tracking? My skills lie more in the arts martial."
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 12:42 PM
mad_gondsman's Avatar
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman is offline
Solemn Golem
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 26th, 2023
RPXP: 30622
mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman mad_gondsman
Posts: 10,326
"I have worked with a number of Inquisitive agencies abroad and with the Finder's Guild in Sharn before coming here." Fraela answers to Nalus when he asks of her experience. "It's in my blood, so to speak." she says with a chuckle.

Fraela, the Tharashk Inquisitive, considers what the officer told them. Not one to believe in coincidences, she continues to fiddle with the file, reading it and rereading it to commit the particulars to memory...

"I've got no less than eight leads, myself..." she says jokingly to Nalus. "No one has been exactly forthcoming of their involvement with this entire string of events. I'd rather visit the scene of Aaron's murder before the crime scene is compromised. I would have gone there first but there's the license issue..." she says, making sure that payment is square and thanking the clerks for sharing the information in the files.

"I'm no "tracker" but I have a knack for finding what I'm looking for..." Fraela says to Nalus and the others with a wink that is accented by the azure mark about her eye.

She waves to the clerk and those that helped them, thanking them once more, before taking their leave and making their way to the late silversmith's shop that they saw on the way in the night before. Recalling the crude image of the weapon piercing the werewolf's chest, she sighs at the irony and laments that the murder could very well have happened as they passed.

"So, Nalus... the very first step in solving any crime is to deduce who would benefit from it." she says as she hitches her pack and drums her fingers against the bandoleer where the tools of her trade are located as if she's itching to use them...

"I asked John explicitly of the behavior of were's, hoping that an outdoorsman with affiliations such as his would have some valuable information that we could use. Though he seemed quite friendly, much as Brother Talesin and Laird, he did not share everything that he knows. Regardless... one does not have to be an expert on were's to suspect that their favored method of attack is not through bludgeoning, which makes Aaron's murder strange..." she says, talking softly to Nalus as they make their way to the shop.

"I'd also like to speak with this apothecary, Victakain. I think the Silver Flame's involvement in this, particularly the verification of Loyola's cause of death, is entirely suspect... I trust you take no slight at my saying so, but I have a theory." she says to the warforged, striking an exclamation point through the air with her finger.

"So, if you'll humor me... back to square one. Who would benefit more from rekindling a war with the werewolves..." she pauses for dramatic effect "... than the church of the Silver Flame?"

She walks for several steps more, considering the implications.

"But then again, I could be completely off course." she says with a laugh and a grin. "But even if I am wrong, those who invoke the power of the Silver Flame in these parts are hiding something. Mark my words."
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Peter172's Avatar
Peter172 Peter172 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 22nd, 2022
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Posts: 9,253
Nalus was shocked and outraged at the woman's lack of faith in the church and it's followers. One of the purified is responsible for this? How could that be? His mind was in turmoil at the thought of such an atrocity. If one of the tainted were somehow involved, then this was bigger than just a few werewolves, for certain. he composed himself before replying, his mind was working on all the possible ramifications. There were many possibilities though, and the church was for the most part full of worthy acolytes. Devoted holy men that sought nothing more than to banish the evil as soon as possible from the face of Eberron.

That seems a bit...presumptuous at this point don't you think. Nalus said in a calm, measured tone. The priests of the Flame are not always perfect I know, but they mean well...for the most part...there is a demon bound in the Flame however, or at least some say so. It has been said that at times it can speak to the servant's of the Flame in the guise of the paladin Tira Miron in an attempt to lure them away from the path of righteousness. They are called the tainted. Nalus spoke the last word with revulsion. "They are an affront to me and all I stand for...even more so than the most corrupt of lycanthropes. If a someone is masquerading as a follower of the flame, while following the influence of the dark demon within then I must stop them at all costs..."

Nalus frowned, or seemed to at least with his limited facial movement. "I hold no grudge against you or anyone for suspecting a member of the order. It is as good a place to start as any, though I would ask that you keep an open mind. For a closed mind is a mind that has ceased to learn." Nalus spoke the last part as if he was quoting someone, his eyes gazed off in the horizon as he walked.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM
oogoa oogoa is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 24th, 2011
RPXP: 61
oogoa
Posts: 95
Koralask frowned, not following woman's argument at all. The Silver Flame? What did they have to do with werewolves? Grimacing, he stalked after the two, pawing his hair into his eyes, and pulling his cloak down over his face. He had hoped this adventure would get him out into the wilds, where it would be easier to avoid the Inspired, but it seemed all they were doing was running around town uselessly talking.

Something that Nalus said perked up his ears, however. Did ...you say tracking? I k-know a little bit about it. I've had to, uh, had to hunt a lot. He glanced back at his sister, and seemed to shrink in on himself, wondering if he had been right to volunteer the information.
__________________
"There's no such thing as fighting dirty and fighting clean. There's fighting, and then there's losing."
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Peter172's Avatar
Peter172 Peter172 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 22nd, 2022
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Posts: 9,253
Nalus turned his gaze upon the Kalashtar, his eyes seemed to convey joy at the news. "Wonderful! We have a tracker, and an inquisitive. How could we fail?" The question seemed to be rhetorical.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old Jul 31st, 2010, 01:34 PM
Cherubaddon's Avatar
Cherubaddon Cherubaddon is offline
Laputan Machine
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 4th, 2021
RPXP: 1567
Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon Cherubaddon
Posts: 1,363
Well, that was easy. Smiling graciously, Aymeric replies, "We have just eaten, but I thank you for the offer." He begins nonchalantly strolling through the store,taking note of the different herbs and extracts being sold. "You mention a girl?" he asks, inspecting a shelf of herbs to see if he can find some belladonna. "The one who was killed? I am assuming you are referring to the adventurer who came here to hunt the beast." She seems cooperative enough, let's see what else she has. "You examined the body? Did you find anything interesting?"
__________________
Things without all Remedy should be without Regard. - Shakespeare, Macbeth

On holidays until mid-January. Apologies for intermittent posting.

Last edited by Cherubaddon; Jul 31st, 2010 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old Aug 1st, 2010, 10:04 PM
IrishKatt's Avatar
IrishKatt IrishKatt is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2023
RPXP: 1645
IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt IrishKatt
Posts: 2,863
Aliandrah smirks. "You also have a great telepath on your side, who can also aid in information gathering. I offer my mind, as well as my power to this cause." Her purple eyes were happy, but her expression still displayed no certain emotion.
__________________

Natural 20's:15
Natural 1's: 3

Last edited by IrishKatt; Aug 1st, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
Saidande's Avatar
Saidande Saidande is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 14th, 2016
RPXP: 774
Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande Saidande
Posts: 1,451
"Deal" Minharath says, shaking the mans hand.

"I'll be back as soon as I have a hide to sell you" He puts the silvery vial in his pocket before slipping out into the street. He wraps his cloak around him and slips though the crowd as silently and swiftly as possible. Moving to the courthouse.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old Aug 2nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
ShadowcatX's Avatar
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 29th, 2023
RPXP: 5568
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Posts: 4,524
Peter172, Oogoa, IrishKatt, mad_gondsman
The morning crowds are growing larger, but not so large as to hamper your progress from the Court House to the smithy where Aaron was murdered. Initially the guards scowl at your approach but after seeing your licenses, and having a word with their commander, they let you in to investigate.

The shop itself is a mess with tables over turned and weapons strowed about on the floor. You initially wonder how no one heard this and then you quickly realize that with the smithy anyone near by would quickly learn to tune the noise out to the best of their ability and beyond that it was unlikely anyone was around late at night anyways, there are no houses nearby.

Two men are engaged in coversation, looking down at the body, as you approach. One, the person speaking initially, a half elf, is dressed in the robes of a priest of the Sovereign Host, the other wears the attire of the city guard, though an emblam embroidered on his shoulder sets his uniform apart from the others, likely marking him as a higher rank.

"He didn't have any family, at least if he did he never talked of them. Still, he was one of us and was kind enough, in his own fashion and the church takes care of its own, I'll handle the funeral and burial arrangements. When do you think the body will be released?"

"Shouldn't be too long, cause of death is pretty obvious, as is the motive for the crime. That much silver in one place, either the thieves wanted it for its value or they wanted it to protect themselves from the werewolf folks are talking about. Either way its a simple breaking and entry gone wrong. Tomorrow at the latest. . ."

The two men turn as you approach. The investigator addresses you.

"So you're the ones I was told about. This is my crime scene, please, don't touch or move anything. Our magewright is on the way, and besides, I don't want you messing anything up. Now all that said, what can I do for you?"


Cherubaddon, Cidoflas
"Yes, yes, I examined the poor deary, her wounds at least, 'twas the Servants of the Flame who found the letter on her corpse, I don't believe in digging through other peoples things, if'n you know what I mean, even if they are dead.

As to intersting, I don't know what you'd call interesting, the werewolf had bitten her, its fangs went clear through to her heart punching clean through her breastplate, too clean a kill for a bear, that's what originally tipped me off that something was wrong. Bothered me so much we loaded up her body on our pack mule and brought it all the way back here so I could test the wounds, and sure enough.

Course then, I didn't know what to do, lycnathrope related deaths aren't exactly common, but the stories tell how fast it can spread, so I turned her body over to the Flamers, didn't have nothing else ta do with it 'til you all showed up.


There is indeed Belladonna on her shelves, 3 doses at 100 gp each. It seems, given its average pricing and what you heard her husband tell your friend, that despite the fear of werewolves in the region this couple isn't trying to get rich off their goods.

"I see you lookin' at the Belladonna, its not something I normally have for sale, just with the werewolf about and all I figured I should put it out, in the case anyone wants to buy it. Course I don't grow that, grow all my other herbs I do though."


Saidande
As you make your way through the morning crowds of the town you get turned around, wandering this way and that, passing by the Temple of the Silver Flame and the much larger and more impressive Temple of the Sovereign Host. Bakers and butcherers hawk their wares at you and young children offer their services as your guide for only 2 copper a day.

Arriving at the court house you're asked to turn over any weapons before being allowed in. The clerk is sorting through papers and ignores your initial attempts to get his attention, until at last he pulls a piece of paper out of a desk drawer with a look of triumph on his face. Then noticing you he walks up, piece of paper in his hand.

"Let me guess, you're a werewolf hunter to, right? Here, fill out these forms and it'll cost you 5 gold."

The clerk turns away but then pauses and looks back at you. "You happen to be with the other werewolf hunters?"

As you fill out your paper work the clerk scribbles a note and hands it to you with your badge. "See to it the 'marked chick gets this, will ya? And don't worry about your fee. I'll mark it paid, after all, one good turn deserves another don't you think?"

The Note
I've come across some information that may be of interest to you in your hunt for the beast. Bring 100 gold and meet me, alone, at the tavern of the Fallen Mage two hours after sunset.

Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 03:46 AM
oogoa oogoa is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jun 24th, 2011
RPXP: 61
oogoa
Posts: 95
Koralask's eyes narrow as he surveys the wreckage. Shuddering slightly, he fought back memories of the carnage the Inspired had left in their wake. memories that this scene of chaos brought to the forefront. Taking a deep breath, he reached out his mind to his sister, hoping for her prescence to calm him.

Glancing at the Dragonmark, Koralask cleared his throat nervously. She was, he thought, alarmingly pretty, especially for a human, and his face colored slightly as he looked at heeeer. He hoped his sister wasn't listening TOO closely.

"D'you...D'you want me to look around? he managed to say, after considerable muttering and stammering. He thought he might be able to see where the assailant had entered, and perhaps the way they had fled. It had been some hours, but Koralask was confident there could be clues.
__________________
"There's no such thing as fighting dirty and fighting clean. There's fighting, and then there's losing."
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Peter172's Avatar
Peter172 Peter172 is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 22nd, 2022
RPXP: 12475
Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172 Peter172
Posts: 9,253
Nalus looks to Fraela expectantly. He had little knowledge of such things and hoped the inquisitive would know what to do.

Koralask's suggestion prompted a question from the Warforged though. "Have you checked for tracks leading from o to here? My friend here may be able to help with that."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB