Game Thread The Adventure Begins - Page 7 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Valtakunta
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #91  
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 08:53 AM
Quick Ben's Avatar
Quick Ben Quick Ben is offline
Imaginary
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 7th, 2021
RPXP: 2292
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Posts: 1,828
Thom Morgan
right-aligned image
Thom grimaced at seeing the state of Shadow and Treasure's home, some of his innate fussiness taking hold. He couldn't imagine how he would feel to coming home with his house in such disarray. Stepping carefully into the dim room, Thom made a dissuliatory effort to put things to rights, but mostly
Dice Investigation:
1d20 1
kept his eyes open for anything blatantly out of the ordinary. When he encountered something obviously belonging to Treasure, he tucked it under his arm for future packing. The poor girl shouldn't be left in her dirty clothes if this was going to drag on.


 
  #92  
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 02:47 PM
DonaldJWafer's Avatar
DonaldJWafer DonaldJWafer is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2020
RPXP: 82
DonaldJWafer
Posts: 84
Dolan
Dolan followed Thom into the house. He too was surprised at the state of disarray. He had assumed that someone responsible enough to become the caretaker of a child wouldn't live in such disheveled conditions. InvestigationHe took a first look around to see if anything stuck out to him amidst the mess. It also occurred to him that the marshal or perhaps a third party had been through the place looking for something. With that in mind Insighthe took another look around to see if the unkempt house looked to have been turned over by someone looking for something.

He approached Thom and handed him a small sweater to add to the pile of items for Treasure.

"Say, I've never met this Tabaxi, but does this place seem to fit his character? Treasure didn't bring much if anything to the church, so I'd be surprised if it was she who turned this place upside down... What do you think?"


OOC
Dice Investigation:
d20+1 (2)+1 Total = 3

Dice Insight:
d20+3 (8)+3 Total = 11


As far as the cabin goes, is it pretty much a single room, or are there separate bedrooms?

edit: We're really killing it on these investigation rolls...
__________________
"No point in being part of history if you're too ignorant to understand it."

Last edited by DonaldJWafer; Aug 6th, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
  #93  
Old Aug 6th, 2019, 07:38 PM
girlplay's Avatar
girlplay girlplay is offline
The Queen of Ice
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 7th, 2023
RPXP: 18039
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Posts: 13,784
The ranch houseThe house was really just 2 rooms - a small semi-basement used as a pantry or larder, and the rest of the house. It was partitioned into 3 rooms but with open ceilings to share heat, as there was only one wood stove. The roof peaked at roughly 15 feet but each partition wall was only like 9 feet. So, while the main room, Shadow's room, and Treasure's room were defined as separate spaces, they shared a common ceiling and open area. You can easily hear what's going on in the next area, etc.

Treasure's room was obvious by the presence of feminine clothing and personal nicknacks: a hair brush, a small mirror, a doll... but living and working on a farm forced her to be a little tomboyish nevertheless. There were an equal number of heavy boots as to slippers, sturdy pants to dresses, etc. But finding a few items that most certainly belonged to Treasure wasn't difficult. Shadow and Treasure apparently weren't rich but not destitute either. Still, the house is sparsely furnished and decorated. They didn't seem to have much in the way of luxury goods, art, or valuables.

Otherwise, the disturbance of the place didn't really reveal much about the motives or identity of who when through them. Possessions were disturbed but not broken or thrown around. Most everything seemed to have been misplaced a little, like the searchers took their time, but there was nothing that stood out as obviously missing.

Last edited by girlplay; Aug 6th, 2019 at 07:39 PM.
  #94  
Old Aug 8th, 2019, 11:19 AM
oztk's Avatar
oztk oztk is offline
Yankee in the UK
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 9th, 2019
RPXP: 5601
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Posts: 1,363
Outside looking inFull of bull. And a big guy like that -- that's a lot a bull. Sam is not taken in by Orilo's enthusing about his race's unique properties, but contents her reply with a smirk and some side-eye to the rest of the party, trying to keep it out of Orilo's sight. Have to work together, after all...

But Dolan's enthusiasm for questioning Wilbur finds a receptive audience. "I am with you there." her smirk flashing briefly into a wicked grin before straightening out to a solemn, serious look as she turns toward Thom "...of course, wouldn't actually plan to lay a finger on him, Shadow and Treasure vouch for him, but he won't know that. Won't hurt to scare him a little, see what falls out, would it, Preacher?"

* * * * *

The tracks were easier to read than Sam had dared hope. The story was all there -- marshal's deputies arriving, finding the corpse with the help of a hound, and there, presumably, was whoever dug the grave -- Sam sucks her in her teeth and whistles low -- a Tabaxi.

Tramping back to the house where the others were poking around, Sam stays outside -- while she may be dubious about the law, and have flexible morals in some regards, she was strong and rigid in others, and it just didn't sit right by her to go snoopin' 'round Shadow's house when he weren't there.

"Been Looking outside, fellas -- some old Tabaxi prints headed straight to the grave. Would match what the law said 'bout the wounds. Tabaxi killed and buried the body, safe to say, but I'll eat my armor if it were Shadow done it. But who done it, and why? Was Shadow just convenient cover, or were they out to frame him in particular... "

"Someone from town just lookin' for convenient cover? Or someone out to get Shadow in particular? Man's past is a private thing; we all got things we regret, and I weren't gonna pry into his, too much, but Shadow's got a doozy hidden in his, mark my words."

"Now you done in there yet? We're lookin' to help him, not settle in. We ready to talk to this Wilbur yet? And then what do we do? Start askin' around about the local Tabaxi?"
  #95  
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 05:20 AM
Mythrandil's Avatar
Mythrandil Mythrandil is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 12th, 2023
RPXP: 5979
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Posts: 2,685
Orilo"Well done, Sam! That's the first clue of the day." The Goliath paces excitedly, stooping out of reflex even though the ceiling is more than high enough to encompass his tall frame. "I agree with your assessment; the trail is cold enough as it is. Now about this Wilbur fellow..."

At this, Orilo grows pensive. "I may have been trained in courtly manners, but even nobles sometimes need to be reminded of their place in the food chain. While one of you asks the questions kindly, perhaps I ought to, ah, growl a bit and look hungry if he is not sufficiently motivated to talk." Orilo grins sheepishly. "Good constable, bad constable - so to speak. And to complete the transformation from civilized to savage..."

Orilo makes a quick turn of his garment, disguising the fine cut with an additional, raggedly hewn flap. Removing his false head and facial hair, a scowling countenance combines with his hunched stance to remind the onlookers that perhaps Goliaths may not be as civilized as Orilo would lead them to believe.


Stats
 
__________________
All is well!
  #96  
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Quick Ben's Avatar
Quick Ben Quick Ben is offline
Imaginary
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 7th, 2021
RPXP: 2292
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Posts: 1,828
Thom Morgan
right-aligned image
Thom accepted the sweater from Dolan delicately, adding it to a small satchel he'd picked up from the disarray and closing the small package.

"No, this isn't how Shadow keeps his house. It must have been the Marshal and his men after the arrest. Looking for clues, as we are, I expect. I doubt we'll find anything more."

With a pensive look on his slightly gaunt face, Thom steps back out into the daylight to catch most of Sam's findings and conclusions. His frown only deepens at the additional evidence of Tabaxi involvement.

"The Tabaxi have a sizable community in the city, so it might be difficult to narrow down. If it is some one with a specific grudge against Shadow, he may know more. But we are all the way out here. If you believe the neighbor might know something, we should ask now. We can at least let them know that Treasure is safe. How you decide to....fish for more information is certainly not my business."

Thom looks up at Orilo's subtle transformation, knowing how his kinsmen might feel about such an act, but trusting the Goliath to know his own mind and range.


 
  #97  
Old Aug 9th, 2019, 11:41 PM
DonaldJWafer's Avatar
DonaldJWafer DonaldJWafer is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2020
RPXP: 82
DonaldJWafer
Posts: 84
Dolan
Dolan smirks at Orilo's sudden transformation. "Cute, but in my experience they'll see right through you if don't really mean it. And besides, I don't see what reason this fellow would have to lie; he's no Tabaxi... We'll start off nice and easy with good manners and on our best behavior, but, if he seems like he's holding back or has anything to hide I'm prepared to make him sorry. If one of you wants to hold me back, so be it." He said the last bit looking down to meet Sam's gaze, and then up into the eyes of the tall Goliath. For a distance onlooker the Goliath may have had the more intimidating presence, but up close Dolan's eyes were full of malice and terror.

And with a blink it was all gone.

"Sometimes we see what we want to see in people, not what's really there. I think it speaks well of Treasure and Shadow that they trust this neighbor, Wilbur, but we ought to make sure. In the end, all is well as long as the ends justify the means right?"

Dolan started off towards Wilbur's property without waiting for a response.
__________________
"No point in being part of history if you're too ignorant to understand it."

Last edited by DonaldJWafer; Aug 9th, 2019 at 11:46 PM.
  #98  
Old Aug 10th, 2019, 01:33 PM
girlplay's Avatar
girlplay girlplay is offline
The Queen of Ice
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 7th, 2023
RPXP: 18039
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Posts: 13,784
The Mulville RanchOnly a narrow road stood between Shadow's property and the Mulville Ranch. A solid fence line ran around the perimeter, marking where the property began, but the building were a good quarter-mile from the fence. Several people were out, tending to various chores, and the number of animals was definitely much larger than Shadow's place including cows, sheep, and pigs. The farmhouse itself stood on the top of a small hill but the group didn't make it that far before a couple of Human men broke from their work to intercept the group. Their boots crunched noisy on the semi-frozen ground. One was a dark-haired man about 30 years old with a heavy coat on. The other was a teenager who was trying (and failing) to grow out a beard. He held a hoe in his hands and wore thick leather gloves and a coat to match.

"Good day to you," said the older man. "What brings you our way?"

  #99  
Old Aug 11th, 2019, 03:33 PM
DonaldJWafer's Avatar
DonaldJWafer DonaldJWafer is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2020
RPXP: 82
DonaldJWafer
Posts: 84
Dolan
As the two approach, Dolan says under his breath to the rest of the group, "Let me do the talking."


OOC
Just for clarification, are all four of us going to the Mulville Ranch?

also,

What can I tell of the business of this farm; does it seem like they ranch enough cattle to sell or is it a smaller operation where they are probably just selling animal products? Or is that unclear. I'd like to try to attempt to set up a meeting with Wilbur under the guise of a business inquiry if possible. But I'm trying to ascertain what kind of dealings seem most reasonable.
__________________
"No point in being part of history if you're too ignorant to understand it."

Last edited by DonaldJWafer; Aug 11th, 2019 at 03:34 PM.
  #100  
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 04:20 PM
oztk's Avatar
oztk oztk is offline
Yankee in the UK
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Dec 9th, 2019
RPXP: 5601
oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk oztk
Posts: 1,363
You've got the stage, Dolan...In his transformed state, Orilo was intimidating enough for Sam, but there's was something in Dolan's face when he spoke that made her hold her breath, lest she set him off. Some men -- fairly rare, always men, in Sam's experience -- had a twisted love of violence hidden inside them. We're not talkin' drunken fist-fights, here -- heck, Sam enjoyed a good punch-up now and again when the mood was right. Something deeper, angrier, harder to sate. Jack Cade out at the ranch, when he caught ol' Jasper dealing off the bottom ... shudder ... well in Dolan's eyes, Sam saw the same thing she'd seen in Jack's eyes as he'd slowly and methodically broken each of Jasper's fingers.

Sam let's out a nervous laugh as the look disappears form Dolan's face as fast as it had been there. "Between the two of you, think we got most folk scared. Without me havin' to say much. But maybe we let Thom and Orilo put on their best manners, first -- maybe Shadow and Treasure have the wrong measure of this Wilbur, but maybe they're right...."

At Thom's comments about the sizeable Tabaxi community, Sam looks thoughtful for a moment. She knew plenty of Tabaxi herself, they were a common sight in the reaches. "If I had to bet, it weren't a local Tabaxi at all -- Shadow kept to hisself mostly, it seemed, but maybe something from his past finally caught up with him? Anyway, Marshal jumpin' straight on to the first Tabaxi they see, that's what got Shadow in this mess to begin with ... don't wanna fall in the same trap ourselves."

* * * * *

As they approach the Mulville ranch and Dolan whispers that he wants to do the talking, Sam's exasperated. "Couldn't a planned this before we walked over?!" she hisses under her breath. She'd seen fast-talkers, smooth-operators before, and Dolan didn't strike her as the type, so she was half annoyed at the lack of planning mucking up the questioning (Dolan was largely out of town, but wouldn't he realize there's a decent chance they'd recognize her or Thom?), half relishing watching whatever plans he has up his sleeve fall apart.

In any case, she heeds Dolan's request, and stands expectantly awaiting his show.
__________________
Eventually: DMing an Eberron 5e game...

Last edited by oztk; Aug 12th, 2019 at 04:21 PM.
  #101  
Old Aug 13th, 2019, 10:33 AM
Quick Ben's Avatar
Quick Ben Quick Ben is offline
Imaginary
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 7th, 2021
RPXP: 2292
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Posts: 1,828
Thom Morgan
right-aligned image
Thom gives Dolan a short nod when he expresses his desire to take the lead on speaking with the farmer. Vaguely uncomfortable with lying to anyone, let alone Shadow's neighbors and fellow members of the Falls community, Thom hangs back and tries to keep a straight face, not letting this distress show. He didn't necessarily know the right way to handle a murder investigation, so he was willing to allow this to play out. He adjusted the small satchel he now carried over his shoulder, and glanced over at the horizon, checking the time of day.


 
  #102  
Old Aug 19th, 2019, 09:38 PM
DonaldJWafer's Avatar
DonaldJWafer DonaldJWafer is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2020
RPXP: 82
DonaldJWafer
Posts: 84
Dolan
“Good day to you sir.”. Dolan addresses the older man but gives the boy a courtesy nod. ”My friends and I are in search of honest work. Some good folk in town pointed us this way with word of good work on the farms here. My daughter here, (Dolan puts his hand on Sam’s shoulder) is a fine cook and great with needle and thread. The big guy and myself are strong and capable of any field work you can throw at us. The gentleman behind me,” he says as he sticks his thumb out pointing behind him at Thom, ”he may not look like much, but he’s great with animals, I’ve seen him successful deliver breeches calf twins a few years back... anyway we’d love to talk with the proprietor at this fine ranch if he’s around. I appreciate your time.” Dolan finishes with a nice wide smile, which was charming enough even with the missing teeth.


OOC
Dice deception:
D20+3 (10)+3 Total = 13

__________________
"No point in being part of history if you're too ignorant to understand it."

Last edited by DonaldJWafer; Aug 19th, 2019 at 09:38 PM.
  #103  
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 08:02 PM
girlplay's Avatar
girlplay girlplay is offline
The Queen of Ice
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 7th, 2023
RPXP: 18039
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Posts: 13,784
The Mulville ranchThe man shrugged at Dolan's questions about finding work. "Well, this is really just a family operation. We don't do much hiring until the harvest in the fall, so I don't think we can help you out there," he said with a slight shake of his head. "Who was it that you were talking to about us? I think I need to set them straight on their reckoning of the state of our place."

  #104  
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 07:28 PM
DonaldJWafer's Avatar
DonaldJWafer DonaldJWafer is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 23rd, 2020
RPXP: 82
DonaldJWafer
Posts: 84
Dolan
"It wasn't so much your farm in particular but that we should make our rounds to these ranches and see if anyone needs any help, and you all were the next on our list. You see, we just came from over that way" Dolan gestures behind him towards Shadow's property. "Say, by the way, do you know the gentleman who lives there? We went over and nobody seemed to be home, but the door was open and the place was a mess... maybe you should send someone over to check on the place, if he were my neighbor, I'd be worried."



OOC
deception roll of 12 via dice thread
__________________
"No point in being part of history if you're too ignorant to understand it."

Last edited by DonaldJWafer; Aug 21st, 2019 at 07:29 PM.
  #105  
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:40 AM
Quick Ben's Avatar
Quick Ben Quick Ben is offline
Imaginary
Event Judge
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 7th, 2021
RPXP: 2292
Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben Quick Ben
Posts: 1,828
Thom Morgan
right-aligned image
Thom stands quietly, immediately uncomfortable with the deception but trying his best not to give away the bluff. He wasn't exactly sure how an animal wrangler was supposed to stand, so after trying out crossed arms, he just folded his hands comfortably behind his back and tried to look...farm-y.


 

Last edited by Quick Ben; Aug 22nd, 2019 at 10:41 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:44 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB