twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Feb 11th, 2020, 09:46 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 554
Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis
What are the pros and cons of Koba vs. Kindle beyond the latter comes from Amazon?
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 02:01 PM
god-King of GM brutality

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1701
UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
...beyond the latter comes from Amazon?
That's a pro AND a con for Kindle and I sy that as a former Amzon employee
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 10:05 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 554
Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis Nemesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncaJJ View Post
That's a pro AND a con for Kindle and I sy that as a former Amzon employee
Have you tried the Koba? And what did you do at Amazon?
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 12:26 PM
god-King of GM brutality

Tools
User Statistics
I love my Kindle Fire. I worked in the datacenters in California. 1,000,000,000% do NOT recommend working for Amazon
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 09:00 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 501
Mectain Mectain Mectain Mectain Mectain Mectain
I have to say I haven't used an e-reader since nook color was new. I do however love the kobo libra h20. It's supposed to be comparable to the kindle oasis. So far it seems pretty good when you get it wet, easy to read, super light weight and having that extra little bump on the side with page turn buttons is nice.

The price tag is a little high but really nice when compared to the oasis.
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 09:15 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50680
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
I had an OG Kindle fire and used it for years for my gaming PDFs.

It died recently, and I've just moved to reading on my phone and using my trusty laptop for my PDFs.

My dad has the newest shiniest fire 10 though. He uses it to read his comic book apps and is incredibly happy with it

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 04:27 PM
god-King of GM brutality

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post
I had an OG Kindle fire and used it for years for my gaming PDFs.

It died recently, and I've just moved to reading on my phone and using my trusty laptop for my PDFs.

My dad has the newest shiniest fire 10 though. He uses it to read his comic book apps and is incredibly happy with it
I got the first Kindle Fire from my boss as a Christmas Present back when I worked at Amazon His stock vested and he cashed out a couple and that was what the whole team got. I have a fairly new Fire 10 that I use for Comic Books and regular books.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 05:58 PM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousDasher View Post
Hello everyone!!

I was curious as to what kind of hobbies everyone has other than the various games on the forum and whatnot~
At various times during my life, my hobbies have included:
  • Amateur theatre
  • Historical re-enactment and metal weapon combat
  • Writing and editing for local speculative fiction magazines and anthologies

I'm also a voracious reader, and intensely interested in Japanese history, English history, mythology, the Brain (in particular, how it doesn't work the way most people think it does), astronomy, physics, and cosmology.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 02:52 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 86
Hoots
Oh boy waaaaaaayyyy too many hobbies here.

I'm a semi-retired armored and unarmored fighter. Unarmored, about 18 years-ish, armored about...6ish if I'm remembering right. I teach here and there but until I get some bits of me fixed up I'm not terribly active. I do archery during the nicer months of the year, but those are few here.

I do blacksmithing and pewter casting with my husband, along with some woodworking. We just moved into a house with a dedicated work area so we're really excited to get that setup.

I've been a fiber artist for some 20ish years, primarily knitting and spinning, but I also weave, crochet, embroider, and so on. This takes up most of my free time as I'm the kind of person who constantly needs something to do with their hands.

I've recently gotten into painting and have been experimenting with watercolor. I used to paint minis back in the day when I worked at a comic/game store but it's been over a decade. I should really get back into that.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 06:48 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
pocketroid pocketroid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketroid View Post
I bought a Kobo Clara HD for the size, and installed koreader to replace default OS. It owns. Highly recommend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mectain View Post
I'm excited to see you post that. I just placed an order for the kobo libra h20. What are some perks for the new os over what it comes with?
I had a naive expectation that this electronic device would work like all others I own: A file directory system. Alas it was not so, and I was lost. The built-in OS for Kobo is astonishingly obtuse and unorganised.

Koreader's primary feature for me is the ease of organisation via file folder directory system. But it has many, many more features of customisation and usability which the default Kobo OS lacks. Not the least of which are Landscape Mode (normally you only view in Portrait) and Night Mode (black background, white letters), both of which I have on permanently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
What are the pros and cons of Koba vs. Kindle beyond the latter comes from Amazon?
I am not an expert, though I did my research a few years ago and came to the conclusion that Kobo is the best brand to support for this price range. Barnes & Noble and Amazon ereaders both have a proprietary ecosystem which you depend on, or force you to view ads, which reduces the price of these brands. The reason people buy them is because they are cheap, which is understandable. However, Kobo's price is increased, but you don't have the hassle of ads or other snagging things which don't sit well with me. Kobo also seemed more wholesome and slightly more independent or with more integrity in general. There are definitely higher class ereaders besides all these, but for me they are prohibitively expensive.

Things B&N/Amzn have which suck:
-the unskippable ads through normal use
-hardware form factor/design
-proprietary file format which is difficult to export and use elswhere
-similarly, DRM is embedded in that file format

I would assume you can hack any ereader and they end up similar, though. If so, hardware features and economic values might be the only deciding factor.

Last edited by pocketroid; Feb 16th, 2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old Feb 16th, 2020, 07:11 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 739
InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoots View Post
Oh boy waaaaaaayyyy too many hobbies here.

I'm a semi-retired armored and unarmored fighter. Unarmored, about 18 years-ish, armored about...6ish if I'm remembering right. I teach here and there but until I get some bits of me fixed up I'm not terribly active. I do archery during the nicer months of the year, but those are few here.

I do blacksmithing and pewter casting with my husband, along with some woodworking. We just moved into a house with a dedicated work area so we're really excited to get that setup.

I've been a fiber artist for some 20ish years, primarily knitting and spinning, but I also weave, crochet, embroider, and so on. This takes up most of my free time as I'm the kind of person who constantly needs something to do with their hands.

I've recently gotten into painting and have been experimenting with watercolor. I used to paint minis back in the day when I worked at a comic/game store but it's been over a decade. I should really get back into that.
I absolutely love painting. There can be so much set up to get started on a project though. If I don't have my heart set on a certain subject then I usually just kind of flounder around a lot. I have a set of watercolors that I plan on busting into eventually.....yeah...eventually. I wanna test it out really bad. Gotta get over that speedbump of fear...eventually.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 03:02 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
heyguise
I as a tubby 30 year old started skateboarding again.., it’s kind of like riding a bike.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 04:29 PM
Utterly flocked

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23773
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Quote:
I bet editor would get super tedious after a while. I admire the work ethic that goes behind that.

What did you used to write? Do you still do it sometimes?
Whoops, apparently I forgot to subscribe to this thread!

When all cylinders are firing I have a few difference sources of work. Manuscripts, education modules, etc. I even do some proofing for audiobooks. That keeps it from getting too tedious if I can switch for a little while.

I wrote some fantasy and a fair bit of slice-of-life drama, a lot of character study material. I don't do much direct writing right now but I'm using RPGs to keep that creative spark flickering. It's something I want to get back into properly someday.
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:39 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 739
InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher InfamousDasher
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyguise View Post
I as a tubby 30 year old started skateboarding again.., it’s kind of like riding a bike.
Nothing wrong with that! I could never manage to figure out how to function on a skateboard, not that I mind though.
Old Feb 22nd, 2020, 11:29 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 86
Hoots
Quote:
I absolutely love painting. There can be so much set up to get started on a project though. If I don't have my heart set on a certain subject then I usually just kind of flounder around a lot. I have a set of watercolors that I plan on busting into eventually.....yeah...eventually. I wanna test it out really bad. Gotta get over that speedbump of fear...eventually.
Oof I know that feeling all too well. I've got so many materials I'm "saving" for a particular project...with no idea what that project is going to be.

As far as painting I'm eyeing a set of Finetec metallic paints right now.