Game Thread Group 1 - Ch3 - Pt1 - Sniff Test - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Other Roleplaying Games > Forbidden Lands
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 11:58 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 6827
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,909
Group 1 - Ch3 - Pt1 - Sniff Test

Year 1165 - Springrise (early spring season) - Evening Quarter (Day Two)

Weather: Clear

Exiting the KnaveAfter ample time to finish their meals and drinks, the visitors head out to quickly speak to Dorn about her missing child, and hopefully find something which the Wolfkin might use for tracking purposes. They began to walk northwards through the hamlet. It wouldn't be very far to Dorn's house, as Orin knew. In fact, walking from one end of the little village to the other wasn't really much more than a short stroll. There were still shortcuts though, so after a little while the group turned off to the east.

Then, they saw something quite unusual. A man, whom Orin didn't recognise, was stood outside a building's front door, and appeared to be trying to fiddle... no, pick, the lock! This place was the workshop of woodcarver named Ephes who died a long time ago, once known in Greyvale for his intricate puzzle boxes. The door indeed had wonderful carvings on it, though someone has painted a black raven rune over the door. The nearby window shutters were closed...

At hearing approaching footsteps, the man turned...

left-aligned image
"Hey there!"


__________________
UTC +10. Had some RL distractions... but getting back into it!
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands
PLAYER: D&D - Ebonclad - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Aug 27th, 2022 at 01:02 AM.
  #2  
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 04:23 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 5040
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 2,006
Hemdan
left-aligned image


The goblin nods back at the Dwarf and adds "Well I didn't get to finish that first barrel so thats one assist we should get back on"

As they walk around the village Hemdan is a little disappointed that the old city is now such a small hovel. He keeps this to himself for now as the people have been kind so far and Bethe's comments about locking doors seems unnecessary until they turn the next corner.

Hemdan's first isntinct is to put his hand under his right arm pit - just in case - perhaps the mists had been on a short holiday. "Hey back at you! This looks very suspicious" and he waves his piece of chalk in dramatic fashion. He quickly stops that though as it was also very suspicious and the warmth of the beer is being replaced by the warmth of fight or flight.

Hmmm, pretty door, scary Raven. Dont recall seeing that elsewhere


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
  #3  
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 10:33 PM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 799
Phol
right-aligned image
Phol grimaces to the fellow, "Explain yourself, stranger! Neither are you from Greyvale nor are you the owner of this home. Thievery then, says I! Would you wish a sound thrashing before being driven into the wilds?"


OOO


  #4  
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 01:06 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 6827
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,909
The Door Tinkerer
left-aligned image
"Oh yes, I guess..." the middle to late-aged man replied, his eyes moving around the great number of witnesses.

"Yes, you're right to question, this doesn't look too great does it."

He held up his two hands, in a gesture of peace and some kind of surrender.

"I'm not a thief, if that's what you're thinking. Ephes, the poor fellow who used to work here, was my brother. I've come to collect some of my things, and I can't find my damn key..."
__________________
UTC +10. Had some RL distractions... but getting back into it!
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands
PLAYER: D&D - Ebonclad - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Aug 27th, 2022 at 09:39 AM.
  #5  
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 01:49 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is online now
Clipped wings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 23328
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 6,365
Stahl Hearthson
left-aligned image
Stahl felt good about taking control of the negotiations, pressing for a fee, making himself out as a master tracker (not far from the truth, as neglected and underutilised his skills might have been in the past ...) and then it slips away from him. "I ain't interested in orcs, that's what I'm trying to ..." he begins with Bethe, before she calls his half-bluff and slides their money back. A small smile tics at his face. Ha! Oniver fancies himself the negotiator and here I am making the coin.

Then Oniver takes back control, and uses his damn ten-piece words, and Bethe already knows the bloody druid? Stahl blushes deep, feeling he's been made a fool why this whole ridiculous exchange. But there it is: the man Stahl was so gallantly offering to find is no stranger at all. In the meantime, talk turns to getting something from one of the missing children to use for tracking. "Oh, for the wolf who led us into a muddy bog ...?" he grumbles, his usual pleasantries towards the venerable wolfkin buried under his bruised pride and indignation.

He trudges along with the group when they leave, wishing he could just stay in the stable with Bladdanser rather than keep this dance up. When they halt to confront an apparent lockpicker, who feebly declares he's the brother of the deceased former occupant, Stahl huffs impatiently. "This village is barely a hut and a place to piss and it still manages to have more trouble than sense!" He stomps right up to the stranger, face against face. "You're collecting now, as darkness falls? Why the hurry when you can do it in daylight?"


 
__________________
ON A LEAVE OF ABSENCE FROM RPGX UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
NPSG FORUMSSOLO BAZAAREXPLOSIVE RUNESSHARE YOUR STAT BLOCKMY GAMES
  #6  
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 12:16 AM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 3595
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,760
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

Oniver finished his beer and picked at the plate of fish some more before gathering his packs. There was no way he was leaving his stuff here, even if the party had been given the spare keys to the whole joint. That part amused the peddler. This group of strangers came into her establishment, interrogated her harshly, practically stole her food and drink, and then she still trusted them with the key. If there was anything even worth stealing from the tavern, Oniver might have preened like a peacock, but the shabbiness of the bar made the whole thing feel like an empty victory.

Oniver paused several times to fuss with straps, putting him well behind the others and the last to notice the odd man at the door. His companions seemed to think the man was up to no good, and for once, the smarmy peddler had nothing to say. Instead, he just listened to the man's defense, wondering if the allegations could be true.


OOCOniver tries to get a read on the man.
Dice Wits 2, Insight 2:
2d6 3, 6 Total = 9
2d6 5, 4 Total = 9


 
  #7  
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 06:02 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 6827
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,909
Picking in the Evening
left-aligned image
Aside from the fact that this lone individual had been tampering with a building's door, there was something else that bugged Oniver. If the woodcarver had died years ago... a fact that would be confirmed by Orin, then why wait so long to "collect his things"?

Stahl's response was confrontational for sure. The man took a step back as the agile and strong looking fellow human got up close and personal. He raised his hands in a form of surrender.

"Hey there! I don't want any trouble, alright? Back off, buddy, or I'll yell out for the town guard! I'm sure we can come to some kind of agreement, yeah? Or, I can just try looking for my damned keys again, and try again later."

He shrugged, taking another step back away from the door.
__________________
UTC +10. Had some RL distractions... but getting back into it!
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands
PLAYER: D&D - Ebonclad - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands
  #8  
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 06:18 PM
The Dark Star's Avatar
The Dark Star The Dark Star is offline
Man of Many Faces
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: May 10th, 2023
RPXP: 5130
The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star The Dark Star
Posts: 2,920
They have arrived!
right-aligned image
Orin was shocked at what he saw, and immediately let the others know that he did not recognize this man.

"Hey! That's what I was going to say old man, you better explain yourself or we'll get the guards to take you in! You don't belong here! This isn't your place! He's been dead for some time now, unless..." He said, starting to trail off after a moment.

"Wait, are you a ghost!? Quick, someone give him a poke to make sure that he is real!" He shouted to the others.

Mechanical Information and Stats
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus!

Roll with Luck and have some Fun!
  #9  
Old Sep 9th, 2022, 07:00 PM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 799
Phol
right-aligned image
The half-elf brightens and begins to pull out an arrow to poke the fellow with....buuut he hesitates before the shaft has cleared his quiver, purses his lips in thought before uttering a, "Bah! Probably delicate too!" Instead of an arrowhead, Phol steps forward and pokes the man in his arm with his index finger.

Assuming it does not pass though due to him being some ghostly apparition, Phol demands, "Flesh and blood, he is! And yet to give us a name I note!"

"He's trouble, says I!"
he nods to the group, "Tell him how much trouble he's in, Oniver." And he leaned ever so slightly toward the fellow, one eye staring wide for added emphasis.


OOOThink Oniver would have the best chance to manipulate him, maybe we can assist?



Last edited by DBCowboy; Sep 9th, 2022 at 07:01 PM.
  #10  
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 06:06 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 5040
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 2,006
Hemdan
left-aligned image


"If a ghost is magicky then this one is no spook, me knobbles might as well be in deep sleep"

Hemdan sidles over to the side of the hut and starts chalking out a little symbol. As he does that he closes one eye and imagines himself pushing some purple looking goop into it. He leaves a little space in the middle as he will quickly put a chalk dot in that space and that (if all goes to plan) should paralyse this thief if he attempts to run.

He turns his open eye to the thief and mutters "This one aint going nowhere" as he hovers his chalk over the symbol "The misty veil has him"


Actions
Draws out a Paralyze symbol targeting the thief which he will complete (trigger) if he tries to run


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
  #11  
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 09:17 PM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 3595
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phol
"He's trouble, says I!" he nods to the group, "Tell him how much trouble he's in, Oniver."
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

"Ho ho! Trouble aplenty," the slimy merchant said, stepping forward to join the others, his voice as smooth as snow over a frozen lake. The peddler cocked an eyebrow at the symbol Hemdan was drawing, but turned his attention back to the thief. "You aren't family. You aren't even local. And despite what our dimunitive friend here might think, you certainly aren't a ghost. So what you, then, hmmm? An opportunist? A scavenger? Perhaps a lowly jackal looking to sink it's teeth into a helpless prey. Well take a good look around Jackal! You are caught in the hunter's trap, and his knife is sharp.

"Who are you? Where did you come from? Answer, Jackal, and you may live to feed another day."



OOCOniver manipulates with Sharp Tongue.
Dice Empathy 5, Manip 3:
5d6 5, 5, 1, 1, 4 Total = 16
3d6 3, 4, 1 Total = 8

Pushing (earn 2 WP)
Dice Empathy 3, Manip 3:
3d6 4, 2, 5 Total = 11
3d6 5, 1, 2 Total = 8

Well... crapola!

 

Last edited by Effete; Sep 10th, 2022 at 09:23 PM.
  #12  
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 08:53 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 6827
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,909
Symbol-stuckOrin's suggestion that the potential burglar could be a ghost, wasn't that silly, actually. Most villagers considered the wood carver's old store as being haunted. The halfling's new friends didn't know this yet though, but the little man's suspicion was probably enough to allude to the fact. The shop was all boarded up, and clearly well locked too, and yes, kind of creepy.

Hemdan's magic-sensitive body areas weren't tickling. This was probably good news. Whilst the old fellow copped a barrage of lip and threatening tones from the group's taller members, the goblin got to work... scrawling something...


left-aligned image
"Hot damn, since when did the people around here get so mean? Nasty, you lot are. But yeah, alright... ok then."

He raised his hands once more.

"I don't want trouble with you. I'll just leave, alright? Either that or... hey... now there's an idea!"

His voice lowered to a whisper, whilst his eyes moved to look at the goblin's strange antics. There was a deep sigh then, as though the fellow's energy had somehow left him, or something had deflated his motivation.

"Huh? Something is... wrong... Look, there are riches in there. Why don't we look, together?"
__________________
UTC +10. Had some RL distractions... but getting back into it!
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands
PLAYER: D&D - Ebonclad - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands
  #13  
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 02:25 PM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 1st, 2023
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 799
Phol
right-aligned image
"Ah ha! Knew it, I.....oh," Phol's exuberance at being proved correct in his assumption of ill intent trails off as the fellow offers to share riches. He glances around, quick to Orin, but only grunts out a non-committal, "Hmmmm."

But he didn't say nooooo...

Nor did he ask for any specifics on the supposed riches...

At least not yet.



OOO



Last edited by DBCowboy; Sep 14th, 2022 at 02:34 PM.
  #14  
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 05:33 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 5040
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 2,006
Hemdan
left-aligned image


The word Riches makes the Goblins ears twitch a little, he's never been rich and its the kind of life he might be tempted by but he's wary of upsetting his new friends. Better to be rich in friends first he thinks so he keeps his hand and chalk close by.

"Well Orin, what if we dont do stealing things but we do investigating things. That symbol on the door - does it mean anything to anyone?"

He turns his head a little, flexing his arms Still nothing from me knobbles "What if its a trap? I mean where did this talk of riches come from?" he adds quitely to Orin.



Actions
Draws out a Paralyze symbol targeting the thief which he will complete (trigger) if he tries to run


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
  #15  
Old Sep 15th, 2022, 10:00 PM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 3595
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,760
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

Oniver's cutting words seemed to have no effect on the old codger. Either the jackal's skin was thick as leather or the smarmy peddler simply didn't hit the right marks. His smile slipped into a grimace as the thief went on, seemingly ignoring Oniver. It was a sign of how off kilter the peddler was when he licked his lips openly at the mention of riches. He flicked a glance to the door, back to the old man, but remained silent.

Phol's non-commital grunt was encouraging as it wasn't quite a flat-out refusal. Oniver had seen the half-elf loner occasionally strolling through Kiersap, but paid him as much mind as anyone else who wasn't a customer. Which is to say, none at all. But having spent the last couple days traveling with the man, Oniver was beginning to like him. His brooding nature could play a nice foil to the peddler's insufferable charm, relieving the merchant of having to thread that line. If the huntsman would agree to 70/30 split on the earnings, the two can make a pretty penny if they ever found a town worthy of the name.

That deceptively brilliant mind of Hemdan seemed to be politicking a way to "investigate" the old puzzle shop. The goblin conspired quietly with his fairer kin, and Oniver could not make out what was said. Hopefully it would convince Orin.

"Aye! Investigate! That's what we were charged to do, was it not? Children love puzzles, and the abandoned abode of a puzzlebox maker sounds like a good place to search for such missing children." The glimmer of greed could not be kept from the man's eye. Perhaps the failing light of late evening hid it.


OOC
 

Last edited by Effete; Sep 15th, 2022 at 10:07 PM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB