Game Thread Group 1 - Ch3 - Pt1 - Sniff Test - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Other Roleplaying Games > Forbidden Lands
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Sep 16th, 2022, 08:30 PM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 799
Phol
right-aligned image
"Mmmmm," Phol rubbed his cheek and chin in a serious pondering before nodding convincingly, "Why tis logic well said," he agrees with Oniver, "This here could be of great interest to children, why yes, so it could. It would be wise to investigate, says I."

He nodded while looking round the group but when his eyes fell upon the outsider they narrowed, "Aye but before we proceed, tell us sir, what is your name and from where do you hail? What can you share of the missing children of this village?"

Charged with such an important mystery Phol reasoned that the questioning of any stranger could lend legitimacy to their actions....or those that followed....


OOOShould we roll Wits+Lore to see if anyone recognizes the symbol on the door?


  #17  
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 09:20 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 4th, 2023
RPXP: 6877
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,910
Nothing wrong with InvestigatingWould it be a crime to enter the old woodcarver's shop? Orin would probably feel that it couldn't really be that bad of a thing to do, right? A shop boarded up for years and years? Where better for some children to hide? Maybe these new companions were onto something? As yet, the Halfling hadn't given his opinion, but in some ways his silence could be interpreted... or misconstrued... as approval.

The breeze of motivation was changing directions. Preconceptions had shifted to thoughts of opportunity. Knowledge? Fine carvings? An actual ghost? Maybe some child-stealing evidence within? The place sure did look suspect...

The stranger seemed to feel the tense air beginning to lift. There was no more talk of guards or the consequences of a little breaking and entering.

left-aligned image
"Missing children? I haven't heard about that. What a terrible thing! Life in these parts can be hard, no doubt about it. So... my name is... oh I might as well tell you the real one. I'm Egen, Egen Lynchfied. I hail from northwest of here a little way. An old keep. Anyway, if we are going inside, together... to ahem... look for missing children or whatever, or clues... I am here for two small wooden statues. Ephes promised them to me, but... well yea, I don't know if he finished them before... you know... carking it. Having paid in advance, and now in need of things to trade, with the mist gone, I've come to collect. Should... anything else in there... go missing. I saw nothing, right?"

He winked.
OOCIf anyone wants to try and determine if Egen is being straight and narrow, you'll need 2x successes or more.

A lore roll for the door symbol is fine!

Opening the door requires a Sleight of Hand (Agility) success... or you are welcome to try other means, when you ready hehe.

__________________
UTC +10. Had some RL distractions... but getting back into it!
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands
PLAYER: D&D - Ebonclad - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Sep 18th, 2022 at 09:22 PM.
  #18  
Old Sep 20th, 2022, 12:24 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 4th, 2023
RPXP: 5085
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 2,015
Hemdan - the lock picking
left-aligned image


Hemdan is pleasantly surprised by Onivers sudden concern for the children Wonder if he has lost children before? Hmmm that sack is big enough... He wipes his drawing from the wall, stows his chalk and puts his hand out to Egen "Hand over the tools for the locks. Best if the independent investigators do this so there is no misunderstanding"

Taking the little bits of metal he turns them over in his hand figuring out that they look like bits of keys and given the hole in the door a vast leap of intellect occurs, for anyone else this would appear as a scrunched brow followed by aslowly spreading grin. Giving his armpit another little tap and sniff Still no knobbly warning - good he kneels in front of the door and starts jabbing at the hole with the tools.

With out any care for stealth or subtly the goblin manages to pull off what most would consider the impossible and with a satisfying clunk the door is unlocked. "The portal is now ours" he says with a little grand flourish he then steps back quickly (still holding the lockpicks) and turns to Oniver "Head child investigator, your crime scene awaits"


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.

Last edited by psuedenim; Sep 20th, 2022 at 12:25 PM.
  #19  
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 02:06 AM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 3rd, 2023
RPXP: 3595
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,761
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

Oniver watched as Hemdan twisted, jammed, and jiggled the lock-opening tools with all the subtlety of a housewife beating a dusty rug. Amazingly, a satisfying snick sounded, and the door swung inward a few inches on creaking hinges. Blinking back his shock, the peddler smiled as the resourceful little goblin announced his victory, although Oniver couldn't say he cared very much for the title Hemdan bestowed upon him. Head child investigator?! Bah! That one time was a giant misunderstanding.

Still smiling as he moved up onto the doorstep, Oniver pushed open the door a little wider and peered into the dark interior. The musky smell of old dust and aging furniture wafted out to greet him. He then turned to Egan, flashing his teeth, and said with all the pomp of a ballroom host, "Well, then, esteemed brother of the dearly departed puzzlebox maker. It would be rude of us to enter your familial abode before you, now. Wouldn't it? Please, after you, after you," Oniver swung his arm toward the opening. "Break the threshold and welcome us in like a proper gentleman." The change of tone from Oniver's previously scathing words, with talk of jackals and opportunists, was jarring. The duplicitous nature of the peddler was on full display.


OOC
 
  #20  
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 02:45 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 4th, 2023
RPXP: 6877
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,910
An Open OpportunityEgen smiled as he watched the goblin put the lockpicks to work, and when the sound of a proper unlocking followed, it changed to a wide grin.

left-aligned image
"You have the art of this, friend. A little previous experience perhaps? Well, I am in your debt, and very grateful."

He slapped Hemdan in a friendly manner upon the shoulder, before turning his attention to a man who worried him the most, of all the strangers. Yes, the fellow crafty with words and a strange politeness. But who was Egen to refuse such an offer? He bowed, almost in a mocking kind of interpretation of an actual, proper, bow of respect.

"Of course my friends, I shall enter and invite you in! I have awaited this moment for quite some time. First though..."

Egen rummaged around in a pant pocket for a second, and then pulled out three silver coins. One was handed to Hemdan, one to Oniver, and one to Phol.

"A small token of my gratitude."

Then, he took a candle from a pant pocket on the opposite side, and went about the process of lighting it, and stepping inside... his footsteps plain to hear as they moved forwards and deeper...

"All is well friends, be welcome, I'm sorry about the dust though."

Dust? He wasn't joking. As anticipated the interior was that of a carver's workshop, with two large tables and a storage cupboard illuminated via a single carried flame. A variety of tools like fine chisels and small timber saws are strewn over the tables. This place... had truly been abandoned. At first impressions, there is no trace of anyone setting foot in here for years. There is however a back door, which as yet Egen hadn't opened, though he did begin to gravitate in that direction...
OOCHaha love your work!

__________________
UTC +10. Had some RL distractions... but getting back into it!
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands
PLAYER: D&D - Ebonclad - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Sep 21st, 2022 at 02:48 AM.
  #21  
Old Sep 21st, 2022, 10:39 PM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 799
Phol
right-aligned image
"Now a moment sir," Phol held up a finger to Egen (if that really WAS his name), "We are duly appointed investigators of this village, while you are an outsider. Best to let one of us go first to ensure that no clues are disturbed. No chance of uncomfortable accusations later." He added a sagely nod as if everyone knew this to be true.

"Now," he looked round, "where were you thinking of looking?" And he gave Egan a hard stare, waiting for an answer.


OOOPhol got 1 success recognizing the symbol


  #22  
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 05:11 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 4th, 2023
RPXP: 5085
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 2,015
Hemdan - the lock picking
left-aligned image


The Goblin is a little concerned about the gift of the coin, he gives it a sniff and a scratch to make sure its not fake or poisoned and then puts it in one of his pockets to examine again later. He's still paying close attention to his knobbles as he crosses the threshold into the hut and nothing.

He starts to look around the interior and head over to the other door to see if that has a similar symbol on it when "Ooohhh! Throbby knobbles." He scrunches up his face in the surprised thinking manner he has and puts his hand in his armpit again doing a circuit of the room.

"Excuse me I have some pit divination to do" and slipping his hand into his armpit he starts taking odd steps forwards and backwards, turning randomly. He adds in a bit of sniffing for effect "Might be the veil is thin here"

Wafting his chalk over the tools and tables quietly muttering to himself he imagines himself casting a frightening and mysterious impression at Egan "'Ware the veil" he mutters at him and goes back to wandering the room.



Actions
Hemdan got a sense of something a bit magic like and is trying to figure out where the signal it strongest - if possible.

He's also using this as a cover for taking a closer look at the things in here and seeing if anything is worth acquiring


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.
  #23  
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 10:22 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 4th, 2023
RPXP: 6877
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,910
A Carving PlaceHemdan, most probably to his delight, found that the silver coin was exactly that. A round and shiny little precious that might one day be destined to become... a delicious and hearty meal? A new fishing net? Half a hand-axe? Perhaps something more, if more of these coins could be collected along the way.

The knobbles were speaking their truth, but it was different one to usual. A new sensation. Not specifically... magic... but... something wasn't too far away that was... well... supernatural in some way?

In consideration of the symbol on the workshop's door, Phol came to a realisation that it wasn't too different to one he'd seen before. In the forests around a former home. It simply meant, "this is the place". A marker. Sometimes used on a map to scribe a particular location. Sometimes carved onto a tree trunk as though to say "I buried my stuff here", or "the mushrooms that grow here are the good ones". Thus, the interpretation of the symbol very much came down to context, and who had actually placed it there.

Inside, Egen was starting to look both excited and agitated as he approached the room's door on the other side. He didn't enter though, instead turning to check these new companions were all in here too.

left-aligned image
"One minute ya invite me to go first, and now you don't want me to go first? This isn't the whorehouse after-party! Let us get this done."

He waved a hand in the direction of the work benches.

"Be my guest if you want a new wood saw or other souvenir. It isn't like anyone else is ever going to come here, and he's long gone anyway. Better that tools get some use, right? Who knows, some of this stuff could be collectible, yeah? Anyway, I think what I want is..." he gently tapped on the door, "... in here."

__________________
UTC +10. Had some RL distractions... but getting back into it!
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands
PLAYER: D&D - Ebonclad - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Sep 26th, 2022 at 10:23 PM.
  #24  
Old Sep 26th, 2022, 11:22 PM
Effete's Avatar
Effete Effete is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 3rd, 2023
RPXP: 3595
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Posts: 1,761
Oniver Stramont
right-aligned image

Oniver followed the others slowly, deliberately, mindful that his large pack did not jostle any tables and knock over any tools or apparati. He carefully closed the door behind himself, hoping to avoid any unwanted attention from anyone passing by. As he meandered through the dim workshop, the peddler perused the benches filled with tools. Nothing particularly caught his eye, though he supposed the tools Egen offered up would suffice if nothing more intriguing could be found.

The coin the stranger handed him seemed to be genuine silver, which Oniver kept in his hand, occasionally fiddling with it as he made his way through the shop. There was no sign of any children, but that was of course never really the reason for wanting to enter this building. A burning desire to see what was so important to this supposed brother was what truly drove the merchant's decision. And if he did turn out to be a thief afterall... well, the Kiersap folk have the numbers.

Oniver eventually found himself before a closed cabinet. The faded varnish on its wooden surface gleamed darkly in the candlelight. Unhitching the lantern that dangled off the side of his pack, the peddler lit it before opening the cabinet doors wide to get a better look at what lay inside.


OOCAdded 1 silver to stash (7 --> 8)
 
  #25  
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 08:10 PM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 4th, 2023
RPXP: 6877
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,910
CabinetOniver's lantern was a darn side better at gifting light than Egen's solitary candle.

left-aligned image
"Thank you, that's most appreciated."

The elderly fellow winked to the peddler and nodded in appreciation. At least now, a mere puff of air couldn't sink the whole place into darkness. He watched then, as the lantern-bearer cracked open a cabinet. It wasn't exceptionally hard to get open, as it wasn't locked, however time had seen the timbers warp a little bit. A solid pull on the handle though, and the small doors opened.

A cloud of dust danced in the newly illuminated emptiness between Oniver's breath and the storage solution, and his eyes met with a single ingot of iron, a tray of timber offcuts, and a selection of smaller and more delicate carving tools.
OOCWe can say that easily accessible are: 1x Iron, 2x Wood, 2x Knife, 4x Saw, 2x Pliers
__________________
UTC +10. Had some RL distractions... but getting back into it!
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands
PLAYER: D&D - Ebonclad - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands

Last edited by 97mg; Sep 28th, 2022 at 08:10 PM.
  #26  
Old Sep 29th, 2022, 09:34 AM
HotsuSama's Avatar
HotsuSama HotsuSama is offline
Clipped wings
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 4th, 2023
RPXP: 23328
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Posts: 6,365
Stahl Hearthson
left-aligned image
Stahl wasn't quite the one to cast the first stone, but he takes some satisfaction that his pressing the would-be thief helped galvanise the rest of his fellow travellers towards not taking any of the old man's words as truth. Then the pivot takes him off-guard, and everyone is talking about ... investigating? The old man, Egen, just wants a couple of wooden statues, and the rest of them were free to pick at the other scraps.

Well, Stahl isn't one to turn down a free lunch.

They gain entrance, and Stahl hangs back at first, only entering once the rummaging starts, conscious of loitering outside for anyone to see him. He's no ransacker or lockpick, where can he even start with this dust-caked mess? He hovers over Egen and Oniver as they work together on the cabinet door, and says dismissively as they open the doors, "Well, I suppose we could just use these to make new statues now, couldn't we?"

OOCYes, I'm still here! I've hard a hard time keeping up with games I'm playing in lately, but closing the gap now.

 
__________________
ON A LEAVE OF ABSENCE FROM RPGX UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
NPSG FORUMSSOLO BAZAAREXPLOSIVE RUNESSHARE YOUR STAT BLOCKMY GAMES
  #27  
Old Sep 30th, 2022, 12:31 PM
psuedenim's Avatar
psuedenim psuedenim is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 4th, 2023
RPXP: 5085
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Posts: 2,015
Hemdan - the mighty Sorcerer
left-aligned image


With a disappointed sigh the little Goblin stops circling the hut and after looking around the others at the contents of the cabinet leans back against a table. He picks up a Yep he's taking a knifeknife and starts to clean out his fingernails "Looks like Stahl is right. No statues but the stuff needed to make them is. You a crafter Egan?"

Hemdan is being a little sulky, his knobbles are still throbbing but the lack of anything obvious to explain it is the cause of his sullen attitude. I'm not talking to you knobbles till you start making sense. "Stupid veil." A few moments later he has another small thought but its attached with his usual experience of grand insight. "Ahhhh - the veil. Perhaps there is more here than the eye can see, well not without finding a secret hole or thing."

He clears a little space on a table and, leaning over, draws out what looks like an arch or square with two circles in it whilst imaging purple glittering fireflies jumping around the room. He mumbles "...veils...<blah blah blah>...drawn...<other goblin noises>" and straightens up quickly and claps his hands "Bloop!"

Take that Knobbles! and the feel of the magic tingles across his skin making him smile, the sense of otherworldy power giving his ego a very satisfying boost "Hmmm. Good." and he does a full circle wafting his fingers in front of him.


Actions
Casts Sense Magic: 1WP -> (6)


 
__________________
Get to know psuedenim. I'm a He/Him in PDT and am around most days.

An ongoing medical thing came up so posting could be slower for a while. Please PM me or even post for me if the gap is too long.

Last edited by psuedenim; Oct 4th, 2022 at 03:16 PM.
  #28  
Old Oct 1st, 2022, 09:56 AM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 799
Phol
right-aligned image
"This door, is it? Weeeell I see no tracks of little one but best to check all areas to be safe, says I," Phol nodded. The hunter moved closer, uncertain what lay behind the door. And why had Egan gravitated to it? He scanned it quickly for any similar symbol as on the outer portal.

"Who marked the workshop door?" he asked Egen casually...well as casually as a cantankerous backwoods hunter was able. Perhaps he hoped the fellow might be distracted enough by the closeness of his goal that he would answer without thinking?

And what WAS Hemdan muttering about over there?

At least Stahl had the right of it, thanks to Oniver's find they now had some useful tools. Might come in handy all too soon.


OOOmanipulation roll needed to try to get Egen to spill some details?

No success but 1 WP, Empathy 2 for now



Last edited by DBCowboy; Oct 3rd, 2022 at 12:12 PM.
  #29  
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 12:31 AM
97mg's Avatar
97mg 97mg is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 4th, 2023
RPXP: 6877
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Posts: 1,910
DIY
left-aligned image
Egen kind of chuckled at Stahl's comment. "Sure! Be my guest if that's your cup of tea. Are you a carver? Ephes was among the best, and umm... I'm not just saying that because he was family. Takes a lot of patience. Something, well... I don't have! Right, are we going in or what? Let's do this thing! "

He seemed to be getting agitated at the slow rate of progress.

"I've no idea why the door was marked either... I guess the villagers might have done it?"

OOCSure, give me a manipulation and we'll see how it goes!
__________________
UTC +10. Had some RL distractions... but getting back into it!
GM: Rise of the Redscales - Fraillie Farm - Forbidden Lands
PLAYER: D&D - Ebonclad - Tales from Elystar - The Yondering Lands
  #30  
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 11:47 AM
DBCowboy's Avatar
DBCowboy DBCowboy is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 2nd, 2023
RPXP: 1608
DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy DBCowboy
Posts: 799
Phol
right-aligned image
"Aye, on, on!" Phol waved absently for Egen to open the door already, "We must confirm no, ah, children have been in there."

He was curious what sort of treasure the fellow believed lay within and whether it might have already been claimed by those who marked the door. If so it had surely been some time ago for any footprints in the dust to have faded away.

OOC


Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:56 PM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB