RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 14th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50562
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome friend!

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!

Good luck and happy gaming everyone!!!
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 08:56 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
TheDude4000 TheDude4000
Thanks Imveros!
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 07:44 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5517
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Welcome to RPGX.

So, other than D&D, have you played or have interest in any other systems? Ever wanted to play an elf in modern day hacking the matrix like in Shadowrun? Or play a gnome in space exploring the universe like in Starfinder? Or if fantasy is your genre of preference, ever wanted to explore the Pathfinder universe?

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Aug 15th, 2022 at 07:44 AM.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 10:20 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheDude4000 TheDude4000
Hi Kenjitsu! Aside from playing various versions of D&D over the years, the only other system I've played with is Pathfinder 1e. I've actually really wanted to play in a sci-fi setting though, and Starfinder looks like a ton of fun! My experience of Shadowrun is limited to the computer games Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall which I had a ton of fun with. I love the idea of playing a character in a dystopian near future/cyberpunk setting, so I'm open to giving that system a shot as well. What is your favorite setting/system?
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 11:17 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
I have games going in Pathfinder 1e, Starfinder, and Shadowrun 6e.

I love the amount of control you have over a character in Pathfinder 1.
I love the ability to explore space in Starfinder.
I love the cross over into the modern world in Shadowrun.

If I had to pick just one, I would go with Shadowrun because it is (There is no logical reason why a level 1 character shouldn't be able to walk up to an unaware/unarmed/unarmored level 100 character and be able to kill it by sticking a sword in their back. In a level based system, that just can't happen.)a skill-based system. Plus I love being able to use modern maps for the setting, even if I usually run the game just as theater of the mind with limited to no images.

Old Aug 15th, 2022, 12:40 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheDude4000 TheDude4000
You've definitely piqued my interest! I think I'm going to have to check out Shadowrun.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 03:13 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
If you are interested in learning more about Shadowrun, there is a dedicated thread with an active community here. You can also find the link to it in my signature along with some other resources.

Old Aug 16th, 2022, 01:05 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheDude4000 TheDude4000
I'll check it out - thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 06:44 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
FYI, there are two main camps here for Shadowrun: 5th edition and 6th edition. There were several big changes in the rules between those editions. Both are fun and I do know a few people who are willing to play both editions. But I wanted you to be aware since it can feel like two different game systems at the core mechanics.

But as a famous Shadowrun player once said, the best edition is the one you are playing.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 05:13 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7623
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
Howdy Dude,

Sorry I'm late to the party. I usually reply to these more promptly but work has been a bear. You have come to the right place to learn about PbP. I've been on the site for about two years now and though I did bit of PbP before every site is different. The folk here were so helpful when I starting, and that's saying something since my DEX and CHA are pretty high but my INT...maybe not as much!

This is a place where the people are welcoming, where the games are interesting, and where generally they only expect you to post a few times a week. I've been playing D&D for a very long time and I thought I've seen it all, but this site has some amazing games going on. I've been playing (storytelling as much as rolling) for about a year and a half now in a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past. So there is a hint of LOTR and a hint of Conan in it and since it's set in an alt Europe it somehow feels familiar.

This is just one example and there are other great campaigns on RPGX. You should take some time to "stroll around" the site and see if anything catches your eye.
Old Aug 16th, 2022, 08:28 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheDude4000 TheDude4000
Hi Ildrahil! Thanks for stopping by and saying hi. I've had a great experience here so far. The community really is wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ildrahil View Post
a game that has been going on continuously for four decades, started tabletop and moved online two decades ago. It's set in an alternate Europe where the worlds of Tolkien and Howard existed in ages past.
That sounds incredible! I like the idea of an alternative earth type fantasy setting. I'm heading over to the page to check it out now.
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 05:13 PM
Gondolindrim

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7623
Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil Ildrahil
No problem and I hope you enjoyed the site. It really is pretty cool playing in an alternate Earth where the worlds of LOTR and CONAN existed as "history" and much of that of that history still lives among the longer lived races and the scholars of humans and the like. Plus, our DMs throw a quirk in here or there that really makes it fun. Case in point, one of my PCs is Ecthelion's (from the Silmarillion of you have read it) grandson. Now, you can imagine he's not much on Orcs. He is a Ranger, so Orcs are one of his favored enemies. Well, in one of his first encounters he met a Half Orc that was more honorable than the Noldor Elf he was chasing, who is from Maeglin's House of the Mole. Now they are besties.
Old Aug 20th, 2022, 10:42 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
TheDude4000 TheDude4000
Talk about expansive lore and endless possibilities! Sounds epic!
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 05:45 PM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 49005
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Comrades uses PbtA, yes.
There’s a thread on site for PbtA game and system discussions.