RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 12th, 2022, 06:54 PM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4728
morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha
Lost Mines of Phandelver

Plot Summary
Lost Mines of Phandelver

System5e

Key Elements Basic D&D, heavy emphasis on RP over combat, light to moderately serious tone, adventure, classic D&D.

Game Summary
right-aligned image

Down a back alley on the dwarven streets of Dwo Baz lurks an unmarked, squat building. The windows are papered with requests to find lost people and items, exterminate monsters, and discover secrets and treasures.

Inside, the light filters weakly through the windows. There are portraits along one wall, and you recognize them as fellow adventurers who have made names for themselves before you. On the other are shelves of tools and provisions. As you pass them on your way to the shadowed desk, you see that everything sold here seems to be at a dramatic markup.

You wait behind a Kenku who seems to be struggling to make himself understood with his limited language. Eventually, you see his shoulders slump as he gives up and puts a feathered hand out. The woman at the desk drops a small pouch into his hand and the Kenku shoulders past you to the door.

The woman gestures you forward and asks you a few questions about your skills and experience. After you respond, she opens a drawer and you hear shuffling papers. When she sits back up she’s holding some papers and slides them across the desk to you. The document is titled Robilar Adventuring Inc. Employment Contract.

“Okay, so this one here is aaaaaah protecting a cart on the way to Phandalin,” she says as she checks her copy of the contract. “You’ll be working with a party of other adventurers. If the terms here are acceptable, please write your name here--” she points with her pen “and sign here.” She points again and then passes the pen over. “Any questions?”

About the Game
About Me
Hello, I’m Morg! I have been on RPGX for about a year now and it feels about time to try running my own game. I have DMed only in person for IRL friends before, so you might find my grip on the rules… loosey goosey. I will do my best to keep things fun and fair, recognize my limitations, and accept feedback from my players.

I am running Lost Mines of Phandelver with some changes. I will also be dropping it into a world of my creation, so you may notice different city names or other adjustments to Faerun. Depending on how this goes, I may expand the story into my own homebrew creation or longer WotC modules. Inspiration for this campaign includes Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Adventure Zone: Balance, and Dungeons & Daddies.

Nuts and Bolts

Intended posting rate: 2-3 times per week. Ideally a combination of short action posts more often to keep the game moving and longer posts once a week for more in-depth character development.

Materials allowed: All published (including supplements such as tasha's, volo's, etc), UA case by case, no homebrew or third-party content please

Levels: Start at level 1, let’s hope to make it to 5.

Ability scores: 27 point buy or standard array

Alignments: All non-evil.

Human Variant: Sure

Application
Deadline July 26th @ 11:59pm / Intending for acceptance messages to go out by the 29th
I will be selecting 4-6 players based on their potential for interesting party makeup. I am looking for fun concepts, strong personality, and opportunities for within reason--this is not intended to be a super long campaigncharacter growth both within the group (friendships, rivalries, etc) and as individuals.

Part 1About you as a player:

Part 2Name:
Character concept summary (1-2 sentences): (ex. Female half-orc beastmaster ranger, age 31. Egwene is a lonely orphan who was raised by wolves.)
Backstory (keep to ~500 words please):
Personality:
Character Relationship: Pick one relationship your character has and tell me what they think of that person or how their stories intersect. Bonus points if the relationship is with Early responders feel free to leave this blank and then edit in a response later. Please let me know when you have made your edits.another PC.
Example post: Optional. If you choose to include an example, please make it an example from the character you intend to play in this game. You can come up with your own scenario, or respond to the adventure guild prompt above.

Current Applications
PlayerCharacterConceptStatus
GirlplayTiaShield Dwarf FighterComplete
OnwardEd/EveHuman creation bardComplete
ElderOblexArronaxIllithid wanderer/wizardWithdrawn
BlackDragonBeastDragonborn RangerComplete
JenniferMayveElven rogue or fighterComplete
RossNTavaraHalfling rogueComplete
Drifter OneHammer pas DeuxHuman fighterComplete
AlemarAlestair GoldleafHalf-elf pact of chain warlockComplete
DemonslayerKordrakkDuerrgar paladinComplete
TrebelCaerlinDragonborn sorcererComplete
RunetideKomakKobold cleric of MystraComplete
HomestarVesper HighwindHalf elf wizardComplete
Gelatinous boozeShrill LouseGoblin RangerComplete
BriarPetra LockheartFlexible class/raceComplete
chocoladevlaEadlynnDwarf ClericComplete
AzureChupacabraBugbear MonkComplete
ZangulT-101Warforged oath of conquest paladinComplete
*I am marking applications complete that are still in process of building connections, since I suspect this will keep up right until the last moment.

Last edited by morgantha; Jul 25th, 2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 06:58 PM
The Queen of Ice

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16687
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Part 1
About this player:

I find it fairly hard to believe just how long ago I joined this site. But I started gaming shortly before that with 4th edition D&D. I know it wasn't all that popular but I loved it, and got hooked. I've played other system since then including Shadowrun and a few others, but always returned to D&D. My friends got me into the hobby; they practically begged me to join their tabletop group. They thought I'd be fun to play with and add some diversity to their very manly gaming table. I went from somebody who didn't know the first thing about this hobby to designing and running games myself.

On this site specifically, I've started many games. My most successful is still going on, a Monsterhearts game (Powered by the Apocalypse) if you believe that! Most games here seem to start and stop after a few months, of even years, but I've only seen 2 games actually finish. Those were both Shadowrun 5th edition games. I'd like to actually see more games reach some kind of conclusion, or at least make it through the first adventure. I join games with the idea that I'm going to stick with them. While I have quit games before, it's only because they were a terrible fit for me.

Part 2
right-aligned image

Concept: A Dwarven warrior who hates Dwarven culture looking for a new self and life.

Name: Tia
Race: Shield Dwarf
Background: Guild merchant
Class: Fighter (great weapon fighter, preferring the glaive)

Alignment: chaotic good

Personality: Tia is, for a lack of a better word: Eager. Experiencing new things, meeting new people, seeing new sights appeal to her and she's very unlikely to be hesitant about it. She's done with being timid or reserved. Her life is ahead of her and she doesn't (like to) look back. "Tia" is not a Dwarven name and she does not like being called a Dwarf, as she does not identify as one. To her, that's a part of her life that she'd rather forget about. She is estranged from her family and clan, so she tries to make friends to have somebody in her life - the more outrageous and unusual the better. Traits that one would naturally associate with a Dwarf is something that she avoids. She tries not to be loud and ruckus. She does not drink mead or ale. She does not talk about craftsmanship or "the stone" or any such thing. She emulates much of her behavior on Humans and Halflings, as they are the most numerous people in most places.

Character relationships:
  • Onward (Edward/Evelyn Teasparrow) - They have a budding friendship, based primarily on Tia's love of Edward's stories and a flirtation with Evelyn.
  • Jennifer (Mayve) - Tia looks up to Mayve and mirrors her behavior.
  • Demonslayer (Kordrakk) - a couple of non-traditional Dwarves who stood together when traditional Dwarves were less than accepting of Kordrakk.
  • Briar (Petra) - They had a one-night stand a while back and it's been really awkward ever since.

Backstory:
Tia is a Dwarf but that's not her fault. She grew up listening to Dwarves talk about their views of tradition, clan, and other races and came to the conclusion that Dwarven culture is toxic. The traditional Dwarvish views, in her opinion, are tribalist, ageist, xenophobic, and needlessly conservative. They value craftsmanship and objects over people. Her time traveling as a merchant exposed her to other people and cultures, and she decided not to live with Dwarves any longer. She rejects Dwarven culture and embraces new ideas and people of all ilk. She wants to explore the world. To learn and grow. Eventually, she hopes to find a way to permanently change herself into a non-Dwarf.

Last edited by girlplay; Jul 22nd, 2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 07:31 PM
E X N O X L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12574
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
Oohh! Would Tasha's Custom Lineage race be allowed? How would the world react to a non-evil illithid?

Old Jul 12th, 2022, 07:44 PM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha
@girlplay Good to see you! Looking forward to what you come up with.

@elder Ooh interesting! I'm fine with custom lineage/nonevil illithid. At this point, I haven't written any illithids into the world, but there are dragonborn, slimefolk, myconids, and other creatures that may be appear scary to common folk. So I would say you would probably be dealing with some fear and avoidance but not necessarily outright persecution. I'll think more about it, but with that said, I'm interested to know what you think might be the most fun to navigate?
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 08:25 PM
Highly Reportable

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12407
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Do you accept material from third-party works such as Kobold Press or the DMS Guild?
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 09:06 PM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
@Marshmallow For the sake of simplicity, I would like to stick to WotC content. That said, supplemental books are ok (tasha, volo, etc).
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 10:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3826
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
App
right-aligned image

Name:Edward/Evelyn Teasparrow
Character concept summary: Genderfluid human creation bard, age 20. Ed and Eve are actually twins but somehow where merged into one body, they seek separation.
Backstory:The twins, Evelyn and Edward, were just your run of the mill orphans. Their parents abandoned them at birth and no one bothered to adopt them. The twins had to rely on each other for support, so they made it big on the streets as urchins. They pick pocketed and con folks left and right, the sister would use her acting skills and persuasion while her brother robbed folks blind. It also helped that they looked completely identical, guards had a hard time catching them cause they thought it was only one thief. The looks on their faces when the twins started appearing in different directions was a classic trick they pulled. They gain a bit of notoriety among urchins in their town. Eventually, it was high time they left, mostly because guards were on the lookout for them but also because they made off with so much gold that they can finally leave this dirthole of a town and actually live a life.

However, they had a bit of an argument on where to go from here. The sister wanted a life as a minstrel and performer, the brother just wanted to be a scholar and artist. The argument got heated and they decided to just split the money and break ties with each other. It was a rough time for both of them, they relied on each other for so long that when they split, it felt like they lost a part of themselves. The sister found herself with a troupe known as the Ruby Fairie. And she struggled to stay relevant. The brother was accepted into a College with what little he had, yet he couldn't keep up with the curriculum. He learned so little from so much work.

After a few years, they made a chance encounter with each other when the Ruby Fairie decided to make a stop on the College. They still resented each other but secretly they wanted to reconcile, that's when that woman appeared. She was not a part of the troupe and proclaimed herself as a fixer of problems. She offered a solution for their bickering, a song and an art piece. The brother would paint a representation of the sister's song. The twins were hesitant but they agreed with the belief that they didn't want to hate each other. After they did what was asked, the sister never felt so emotional in a performance, the brother never felt so inspired in an artwork. From each stroke of the brush and each rhyme of a song, they felt sibling camaraderie rekindled little by little. Then something strange happened once they've reached the end, everything suddenly became hazy and they were no longer where they were. Not only that, they could not find their other half, in fact they felt strange. As if everything changed, no, a sigh they changed. They then realized that they were different, they were both Ed and Eve at once. The twins have found themselves merged.
Personality:
Evelyn is the more flirtatious and energetic of the duo, however she's generally a more reckless soul. Always thinking that things can go her way. Edward is a bit more of a thinker, logical and methodical in his approach. His usually not as social as his other half, mostly referring to talk when necessary, or when he needs to take the reigns when a certain someone starts to act foolish.
Character Relationship: Tia. The twins met Tia during their search for the witch, they found themselves with a group of merchants and Tia just happen to caught wind of their conversation. She was immediately invested by their circumstance and how they got to be this way, the witch in particular was something she was real interested in. Ed sees Tia like how a teacher would see a shy student, and frankly he couldn't help but see himself in that regard. Probably why he felt relaxed talking with her. He liked talking about the things he'd learn and done in his college years. Eve, on the other hand took an immediate liking to her. Tia was like an adoring fan whenever she regaled her with the most strangest of tales of people and places she's seen. Course, she wouldn't be herself if she didn't make a move on her whenever possible.
Example post: Somewhere on an unmarked, squat building. There, standing on a line next to a kenku, is a human with a slender build and red hair tied to a ponytail. They're face looks somewhat feminine, but has a sort of dashing appearance to it. They wear a purple cloak with an emblem that symbolizes this person of being a part of one of the well-known colleges. This person is currently repeatedly tapping their foot on the floor in anticipation,"Please control yourself." they said, their voice sounded like a boy trying to imitate an adult,"Excuse you, my dear brother, but I think you don't realize that this is our beginning, our sonata to a grand journey. I can't help but be nervous, especially if my name is going down as one of the legendary heroes of old." they said in response to themselves, this time in a much lighter in tone, sounding more energetic,"Forgive me for not being as enthused as you, I'm simply panicking on our current predicament and unlike you who decided that this was a good idea."
"What, did I not tell you of my master plan."
"No, all you said was, 'Don't worry Ed, I've got a plan', and then you started to move us into this shady guild. What exactly are we doing here?"
"To apply for a job, I don't think you and I are on the same wavelength here. We've been searching for months now, and we simply can't find that witch without the help of some experts, and what better way to find someone qualified to help than adventurers." she says with a beaming smile, her brother only looked at her (pretended to look at her) with a face that says 'what kind of fantasy are you living in,"Okay, what are we doing here applying then?"
"To train ourselves, with this new ability of ours, we could probably grow stronger together. Also, look who's currently talking in public, guess College has turned you into a social butterfly." she says with wink, Ed then realized to his horror that a lot of people are paying attention to him. He looks down at the floor apologetically,"S-sorry about that..." he said with a blush and headed to the receptionist's desk,"Greetings, the name is Evelyn Teasparrow, my skills are songs and dance. As for my experience, I've been told I'm a pretty good smooth talker in dates among other things. If you're single I could show you a thing or two, maybe in private." she says, giving the receptionist a wink, to which she received a smack on the forehead by her own hand,"I apologise for my twin's response and demeanor, I'm... Ugh, Edward Teasparrow, my skills include enchantment spells and also lock picking. My experiences, including my sister, is limited though, we have never engaged in adventure. But, Uhm, if you have a job available, we can do it." he says awkwardly, his hand giving him a pat on the back. If given the contract, they signed up their names twice with different signatures.

Player

Last edited by Onward; Jul 13th, 2022 at 10:12 PM.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 01:56 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4081
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
OK I have a dragonborn ranger I built for lost mines and never finished said game. Is it acceptable to post him. Still lv 1 . Meets the requirements I think it was point buy. But ik for sure it was point buy or standard.

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jul 13th, 2022 at 02:05 AM.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 03:06 AM
E X N O X L U X

Tools
User Statistics
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex

Last edited by ElderOblex; Jul 17th, 2022 at 06:24 AM.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 11:16 AM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
@Onward Thanks for the app! Very cool concept. Do you envision them having a visual representation of switching between Ed and Eve?

@BlackDragon Sure, you can use a character that you've already played before. Link me the sheet and I'll take a look at the stats.

@Elder I see you're still working on your character but I'm pumped to see you mention Garth Nix as one of your inspirations! The Abhorsen Chronicles is one of my favorite book series of all time. As a teen I tried to write a novel that was basically a direct rip off of the first book (but much much worse of course)
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 11:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3826
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Hmm, well you make a good point. I was thinking their eye color changes to green and red each time one of the twins talk, or cast a spell.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 03:03 PM
Queen of Mischief

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10801
Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer Jennifer
Who is Jenny?About me as a player:

Influences: Babylon 5; David Feintuch's the Still; Rick Roirdan Percy Jackson series; countless movies and TV shows including Angel and Buffy, but also Supernatural and darker shows.

The Character
left-aligned image

Name: Mayve; Wood Elven Thief (Alternative: Sword and Board Fighter depending on what the DM needs for her campaign)

Character concept summary (1-2 sentences):No character ever matches what you originally intended them to be. They grow into their role in the party. That said, I suspect Mayve to be an overly inquisitive, slightly cowardly, minx that augments the party via flanking and/or ranged combat as needed. Given the opening is to escort a wagon train, and you mention there will be dipping into mines, I suspect a character like Mayve would be well suited to scampering for position in both a forestry as well as underground environment - even if she has to work with smelly dwarves (sorry, elf/dwarf thing, you understand.)

Backstory (keep to ~500 words please): The Glittering Court

Exactly what, precisely, was a girl to say? Oh sure, daddy was a great war hero and mommy was seen as wise and holy, and yes the trees did provide all the food and shelter they needed, and yes her cousins did have golden gilded homes with pearls and all the finery, but did anyone know her? Did anyone actually care about her? What about her dreams? Her wants? Her desires?

Nope. “Do this. Don’t touch that.” UGH! If she could rip open her chest and step outside herself, she would do so in shear frustration.

Was it true she loved her family? Of course, it was. Did she understand them, yes, did she acknowledge the world was filled with danger, of course. She was there when the Drow attacked and tried to kill as many of the elven children as they could, it wasn’t like she didn’t know of evil. She just didn’t think it applied to her.

Shrugging, as she marched herself down the sodden trail, rain cascading off her cloak into rivulets of water that drained into her boot, her goaler holding her firmly by the shoulder as he ‘escorted’ her towards the tavern.

The runaway, the vagabond, the minx, whatever you called her, whatever you thought of her, Mayve appeared to have worn out any welcome she might have had here. Not that the mayor was going to miss that medallion. I mean he left it locked up in his desk, but no… you borrow one medallion without asking first and suddenly it’s “let’s see if there’s something we can find you to do that takes you away from here.”

Bah! Life was never fair to Mayve. “Hey! Could you ease up, you’re squeezing my shoulder too hard!”

The gruffness of the man’s voice held no emotion. Typical old people, he had to be like 30, maybe 40. Probably lived his whole life here in this sodding resort and never enjoyed life. “Last time I did that you tried to run. You’re joining this caravan or we’re locking you away forever. I suggest joining the caravan.” His hand tightened more, instead of easing up on her shoulder. She was going to have a ham-hand sized bruise when this day was done.

At least they were going to give her stuff back to her when she left the town, there was that. Especially Bonnie, her little stuffed toy. Okay yes, it was stupid, yes it was nothing to look at, but it was hers and she’d had it from her earliest memories, so she’d rather not lose it, if that’s okay with everyone else.

Personality: An inquisitive and impetuous youth living in a tumultuous world, Mayve has a tendency to act first without realizing what she is doing might be considered wrong by others.

Character Relationship: (Leaving blank for now, if anyone wants to interface between their PC and mine, please PM me.)

Example post:“Okay, so this one here is aaaaaah protecting a cart on the way to Phandalin,” she says as she checks her copy of the contract. “You’ll be working with a party of other adventurers. If the terms here are acceptable, please write your name here--” she points with her pen “and sign here.” She points again and then passes the pen over. “Any questions?”

You'd think she an invalid by the way her goaler grabbed her right hand, shoved the pen in it, and forced her to write her name on the contract. Out of spite she wrote it in common, the filthy tongue of the merchants instead of in the elegant fluidity of the elvish tongue. Afterwards, she stuck her tongue out at the guard as he left her there.

"Ah, yes. Will they be providing food and coin, or are we on our own to scavenge as needed?" She was more feeling out the registrar than making demands. Did she have an iron fist, was she just a flunky, who was really in charge around here? And by in charge, who could make Mayve bleed, because it was the ones that would make you bleed that were dangerous.

She looked around the tavern a bit. She saw an elderly woman working the stew pot and knew she could score a free meal with the proper sob story over there. Those two in the corner in the heavy leather armor and chain shirt, they were probably going on this trip too. Neither well equipped nor giving the vibes of townsfolk, so yea, they were going.

She wasn't seeing any magic throwers. One guy over there in fancy clothes singing some song of heroism for coin, but that wasn't a magic thrower.

Well she would see what she would see, after all, this adventure would at least get her to the next town, and every day she could move one more town over, was a good day, a good day indeed.

The Long StoryTo be written, if I have time

Last edited by Jennifer; Jul 14th, 2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 04:56 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 761
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
Oh very cool sounding! Posting a placeholder!

Edit: Would a Changeling character be acceptable?

Last edited by RossN; Jul 13th, 2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 06:07 PM
E X N O X L U X

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantha View Post
@Elder I see you're still working on your character but I'm pumped to see you mention Garth Nix as one of your inspirations! The Abhorsen Chronicles is one of my favorite book series of all time. As a teen I tried to write a novel that was basically a direct rip off of the first book (but much much worse of course)
Cool! I've been meaning to read more than just Sabriel but haven't found the opportunity. I really dug the cat sidekick, and found the switching from one dimension to the shadow realm really cool.

Old Jul 13th, 2022, 07:22 PM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
@Onward Nice, eye color change sounds great!

@Jennifer No kidding! I'm sure everyone here has been in lots of games that have petered out. Hoping this one gains some momentum. I'm excited to see what you come up with!

@RossN Hmmm, let me think on it. I think the shape changing is a pretty significant extra ability. Maybe with some kind of limitation (maybe requiring a short rest to make the change)? If you were to play a changeling, what class are you thinking?

@Elder I definitely recommend the second two (Lirael and Abhorsen). I didn't love the more recent ones, but I also read them later in life so they don't have the same sense of nostalgia . Mogget really is a great animal sidekick although my favorite in the series is the Disreputable Dog.