Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1323
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Fraillie Farm

Game NameFraillie Farm
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeDomestic drama and comedy, rejuvination of a failed small business, farm-life.
FlavourLight-hearted and whacky, but with some serious resource allocation tasks along the way.
Plot Summary

NotePLEASE NOTE: With 8 wonderful applications already in, and two more potentially on the way, I think we should end the recruiting process a little early (25th July here in Australia). If you've expressed interest here but haven't yet finished your application, no worries at all and no rush! Please complete them at your leisure! I just didn't want to have to disappoint any late-comers who post interest here after today's date. Thank you everyone who has applied!

Introduction
left-aligned image
Hello! I'm Imelda Adelmi from Fraillie Farm! You've never met me before, and you probably haven't heard of my farm either. One of the benefits of living in the Unremembered Realms, is that... well, people forget stuff.

Anyway, my Grandfather used to own this plot of land, and being about as stubborn as Grinki the Goat (who you'll get to meet if you're successful), he refused to get much help around here. Honestly, Fraillie Farm is pretty rundown. Ok, I'll be honest, it is a dump... but, a dump with prospects!

You see, I've traveled a very long way to claim this patch of land as my own, being Grandfather's only surviving relative and all. An only child with adventuring parents, means that eventually you become a real only child. You can blame some vampire named Strad for that... or was it Chad? Whatever. It is just me now, the last Adelmi.

So... yeah, I've inherited this patch of urban landfill farmland, and need some employees to give me a hand! I'll take anyone useful, but the kinds of roles up for grabs are things like, cleaner, chef, arborist, accountant, geologist, animal handler, sales and front of house, repairs, middle-management, laundry workers, anything that might be useful on a farm rebuild.

I'm not picky, but you need to be able to work together as a team, and enjoy and take pride in your work around here!

Oh, yea, I forgot to mention, we might have a small mine on the property, and plenty of space to run animals and different crops. We could probably run a small restaurant, or bed and breakfast too, if we get the right applicants.

If successful, I will pay your relocation expenses. Weekly wages will be dependent on position, and grow as the business does. You will be supplied board and food as part of the employment agreement.

To apply for a position at Fraillie Farm, please address your application to:

Imelda Adelmi
Lot 441, Birgglewook Lane
East of Neversummer City
The Unremembered Realm

What the?Greetings! Some time ago I went poking around for players who might be interested in a comedic, farm-based, property management role-playing experience, using 5e and the D&D world as our home.

After much internal deliberation, and based on the friendly and positive response to the interest check, I'd like to see this happen! Once the recruiting process is done, the players will have a chance as a team, to help shape the farm and some of its features before we begin. This isn't because I'm completely lazy, but because I want the players to be invested and interested in the site of their new jobs.

How to ApplyTo apply, please write Imelda your "actual" job application by replying to this thread. Feel free to include a picture of yourself too. Tell her things like:
  • What role you want on the farm.
  • What race, background, and class you are.
  • Where you are from, and what related work experience you might have.
  • What is really special and original about you.
  • Why you are interested in this opportunity.

The focus of this game will be on character relationships, domestic drama / disputes and lots of comedy (hopefully). Perhaps more important than your character, will be your general enthusiasm, because that stuff is infectious.

Making CharactersThis is a homebrew world, and a vast majority of events will occur on a small plot of land. Allowed sources are anything published by Wizards of the Coast.
Update 21/7: If you find something UA that you'd really like to use, let me know, I'll consider it
Feel free to glue fluff to things or sprinkle sparkles on stuff, to flavor your PC as required.

Starting Level: 1
Hit Points: Max Level 1, then roll after that.
Stats: The usual 27 point buy.
Starting Equipment: The usual starting equipment for your class, plus anything granted by your background.

Other StuffI'm imagining a cast of anywhere between 4 and 8 characters, and party groups might change over time, as I might run more than one story thread at a time. We'll see.

This advert will be open for... well... I dunno. I'm doing a 1200km road trip from the 26th of this month to the 1st August. So maybe we say... 1st August? I might close applications before then if we miraculously have a horde of wanna-be farm hands sending letters to Imelda.

Note: With 8 applications already and 2 more imminent, I'm drawing a line in the thread now as I think that's plenty. If you're late to the party and sorely sorely disappointment, please send me a PM!

Aiming to post once or twice a week once we get going.

The kinds of "adventures" we go on, could be along the lines of:
  • Clearing out the haunted chicken coop.
  • Finding some decent food ingredients after a really hard winter. The prices in town are just too high, so you're going to have to go out and hunt / forage. We pride ourselves on local produce, so go get some!
  • Grinki the goat has chewed through the fence and gone wandering off into the forest... dammit. Why do we care? Her milk is the best for the cheese that goes on our platters! It is a tourist fave and our signature dish!
  • Many moons ago, Lord Shortshorts and his huge extended family booked the place out for a whole week. They near wrecked their rooms and ate the pantries clean! He's just written that they intend to stay again... so what are we going to do to keep them entertained and on a short leash?
  • Hingo the halfling reckons the water well is talking to him...

Applications

Imelda's Postbox

NamePlayerClassRaceKinda JobsStatus
TeequegRunetideRangerTortleCart driving & irrigationComplete
AngusZangulUA CookMountain DwarfCookComplete
VarielKaigenArtificerHigh ElfRepairs and Odd JobsComplete
TeelaOnwardBarbarianHalf OrcAccountantComplete
EdwardTouketsuWarlockHumanAnimal HandlerComplete
KurnusAmargaDruidMinotaurFlora and Fauna DutiesComplete
AnthuriumHitmytoSorcererFairyHousekeeping, Tending Guests EtcComplete
DoileagmorganthaDruidFirbolgFlora and Fauna DutiesComplete
KrowStrangemundRogueHalf OrcSecurityComplete
-Mindsiege---Expressed Interest / WIP
-Verdant Glitter---Expressed Interest / WIP

Last edited by 97mg; Aug 3rd, 2022 at 12:52 AM.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 06:23 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9801
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Noting interest in this! Kinda has a My Time at Portia/Stardew Valley feel to it, perhaps with a bit more fun in mind.

I'll uh, think of a character. Might take me a bit to draft up an application 'letter' though.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 06:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
Noting interest in this! Kinda has a My Time at Portia/Stardew Valley feel to it, perhaps with a bit more fun in mind.

I'll uh, think of a character. Might take me a bit to draft up an application 'letter' though.
Thank you Runetide! I just had to Google those two games... and actually, now I want to play them too XD
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 07:15 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
The "My time at" games are a favorite of mine. I didn't even like games like that before I played it. The new one (Sandrock) is still in beta, and I'm enjoying it.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 07:19 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 510
Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto
Whoop whoop, stumbled upon your interest gauging thread earlier this week and got excited. Glad to see it's up already, will certainly be applying in the near future!
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 10:44 AM
Floof

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3231
Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen
It's been quite a while since I've been inspired to apply for a 5e game, but this concept sounds like just the thing. I'll add a portrait once I have a chance to make a suitable one for the character.

Application Letter
right-aligned image
To: Imelda Adelmi
East of Neversummer City

Dear Ms. Adelmi,

My name is Variel. It seems from your posting that you are in need of quite a lot of help in managing your new property. Well, you are in luck, because I am an unrepentant dilettante who has dabbled in many of the skills that would fill your needs, and what a high elf calls "dabbling," a shorter-lived individual would consider quite competent indeed. My particular specialties are cleaning and repairs, but you may think of me as an all-around dogsbody, capable of filling in in the kitchen, the fields, or the barns as needs be.

At this point, you may be beginning to question if one individual, even an elven artificer, can truly possess such a dazzling array of skills, or else you may be wondering what would bring such an individual to your farm. Allow me to explain: I am in training to be an coughcoughspycoughemissary for the elven kingdom of Nevermet, and part of that training is to spend time amidst the other peoples of the Realm. Worry not, this phase of my training is expected to take decades, so, provided my employment remains mutually agreeable, there is no reason why I could not stay on for the length of your natural lifespan. Likewise, be not swayed by stereotypes of elves as aloof or arrogant; I am in this line of work because I like people and I like learning about their lives. While other emissaries in training often take postings in major cities, I think there is more value in the visceral experience of learning how those in the countryside live and contribute to the land as a whole, and I think your farm is just the place to do that.

Should you wish to hire me on, send word via the Nevermet Consulate in Neversummer City (address given below). I certainly hope you will give me a chance to show what I can do.

Best Regards,

Variel Culnamo

Last edited by Kaigen; Jul 22nd, 2022 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Adding portrait
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 11:14 AM
seeking sani̶̩̽̒t̴̬̺̰͆͋̏y

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50980
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to bow out due to new IRL issues. I hope you all enjoy!

Last edited by Aethera; Jul 21st, 2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 11:42 AM
Floof

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3231
Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen
5e doesn't really have an "NPC classes" I'm aware of, at least outside of homebrew or third party products. I went Artificer so I could rock the tool proficiencies (using the race customization rules in Tasha's to trade my elven proficiencies in for more) and supplement with some spellcasting. Maybe if you played a Monk 97mg would let you flavor your unarmed strikes as whacking people with a ladle (imagine a flurry of (ladle) blows!).

Otherwise, I would look at the classes that get extra skills/tools, like Bard, Rogue, and Ranger, assuming you don't want to do something outright magical.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 05:35 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Is there any problem with me applying with a tortle?
I'm not very well versed in 5e so I tend to like trying out weird stuff. I can apply with a more traditional race if need be. Was thinking an ex soldier lumberjack or something along those lines
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 06:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmyto View Post
Whoop whoop, stumbled upon your interest gauging thread earlier this week and got excited. Glad to see it's up already, will certainly be applying in the near future!
Hi Hitmyto! Thank you for your enthusiasm! I see you are a new member too, welcome to RPG Crossing Really looking forward to seeing what you send Imedla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
It's been quite a while since I've been inspired to apply for a 5e game, but this concept sounds like just the thing. I'll add a portrait once I have a chance to make a suitable one for the character.
Artificer! Sounds great for a really handy odd-jobs kind of PC. Imelda was delighted to receive your letter With the "emissary" stuff, we could potentially scheme up something about the farm or its staff that has been flagged by the elves of Nevermet as being worthy of interest and keeping an eye on hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethera View Post
Woo! I'm in, with the provision that my character may have to opt out of certain adventure threads, as both Real Life™ and my health can interfere with my posting rate.

This is where I admit I don't know 5e as well... I haven't kept up with the additional books released since early on. I know the rules fine, but are there more NPC-like classes that would have some bearing on this game? Backgrounds are all well and good, but I really want to be able to wield a ladle as a weapon.
Hi Aethera! No worries at all with the RL stuff. I'm imagining a relaxing pace, and if PCs have to pop out and have "alone time" sometimes, that's fine. With the ladle, feel free to use some creative license! A club or staff equivalent? A ladle Shillelagh? A spell focus (ooo shiny special ladle)? I'm sure there's a way we could re-flavor it to work with a lot of classes. The Monk idea of Kaigen's is cool too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
Is there any problem with me applying with a tortle?
I'm not very well versed in 5e so I tend to like trying out weird stuff. I can apply with a more traditional race if need be. Was thinking an ex soldier lumberjack or something along those lines
A Tortle! Of course that's fine As part of the farm-building phase at the start, we could even get you a neat little pond to hang out in XD. You could take care of the elaborate watering system for crops too, and lumberjack stuff is neat too!

Last edited by 97mg; Jul 20th, 2022 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 08:19 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 320
Zangul Zangul Zangul Zangul
Complete

To: Imelda Adelmi
East of Neversummer City
The Unremembered Realm

Name: Angus McGrillin
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class: Cook (Mess Sargent)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Soldier
Personality Traits: I let others know I expect them to work as hard as I do, and my opinion is relevant whether you like it or not
Ideals: My gift of cooking is for all to enjoy.
Bond: I keep a bottle of my favorite spice and herbs on hand.
Flaw: I'd rather eat nothing, than something bland, stale, burnt, undercooked or otherwise beneath me.

Dear Adelmi,

Angus McGrillin is the name and cooking is the game. So you want to know a little about me do ya lass? Well, for starters Imma 4ft Dwarf, 150lbs. I was a solder in the Dwarves army during the Battle of the mines. I was the mess cook, I saw to it that the army was well feed. When it was needed I fought on the front lines as well. When the time came to leave the Army, I took my chef skills and started working as chef in taverns making ends meet. But, my heart is still in adventuring, and now set out to prove that I am the best Cook out there. Giving the opportunity to work on your farm. I'll see to it that the workers are well feed and ready for the adventure at hand. My personality traits are, I let others know I expect them to work as hard as I do, and my opinion is relevant whether you like it or not. My ideal is my gift of cooking is for all to enjoy. My bond is I keep a bottle of my favorite spice and herbs on hand. My Flaw is I'd rather eat nothing, than something bland, stale, burnt, undercooked or otherwise beneath me. If you like what you see may my Mess kit and Utensils serve you and your workers. Maybe around the table I can share war stories.

You can't kill what you can't see,
But what you can't see can kill you! Quote from Nailo moonshade Phantom Rogue

Last edited by Zangul; Jul 23rd, 2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old Jul 20th, 2022, 10:20 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
A kindly worded letter
right-aligned image
A Letter Arrives

To Whom it may concern:
Imelda,

Hello, I am pleased to meet you. My name is Teequeg. In case that name seems odd to you, I am a Tortle of the local blue-lakes clan that has found himself in need of some work. I don't have a lot of farming experience, but as a ranger in her majesties military I was responsible for a lot of scouting and exploring regions for my platoon. I was hoping you were open to the idea of hiring a farmhand with some expertise in cart driving and irrigation? I am very experienced in working in water, you know. (The letter has a section that looks like someone wrote down a laugh, but then blotted out the words and then scraped the ink off the parchment)

To be honest with you, I'm a little tired of the military life. I've lost a lot of my unit to a Manticore attack, and the military is still busy trying to restructure the survivors into a coherent unit. I've been given an opportunity to take a medical discharge, which I intend on taking. I heard from a friend of a friend who heard about your job opportunity from a bard in a bar, so it seemed pretty reliable. If this is not the case and I sent this letter to a random stranger, please accept my apologies and disregard the above. Unless you've got a job that an old war turtle can handle for you in some kind of unrelated coincidence!

(There is an attached roughly painted portrait of Teequeg hobbling on a cane. On the back of the portrait is a quickly scribbled down note: "The army had this portrait taken for the local paper, I was able to get a copy. It's... while I was still recovering from my injuries.)
Stat BlockTeequeg
Male Tortle Ranger 1
Medium , neutral good

--------------------
Armor Class 17 (natural armor)
Hit Points 12 (1d10+2)
Speed 30 ft.
--------------------
STR 14 (+2), DEX 12 (+1), CON 14 (+2), INT 10 (+0), WIS 16 (+3), CHA 9 (-1)
--------------------
Saving Throws Str +4, Dex +3
Skills Athletics +4, Intimidation +1, Nature +2, Perception +5, Stealth +3, Survival +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages Aquan, Common, Sylvan
--------------------

Hold Breath. The creature can hold its breath for up to 1 hour at a time allowing them to stay underwater for some time before needing to surface for air.

Natural Armor. You have a base AC of 17 (DEX mod does not affect this number). Armor provides no benefit but shield bonus does apply.

Shell Defense. You can hide in your shell as an action. Provides +4 bonus to AC, and you have advantage on Strength and Constitution saving throws. While in the shell you are considered prone. Your speed is 0 and cannot be increased. You have disadvantage on DEX saving throws. Unable to take reactions. The only action you can take as a bonus action is to leave your shell.

Actions
--------------------

Claw. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d4+2 slashing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20 ft./60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+2 slashing damage.

Handaxe. Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft. or range 20 ft./60 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d6+2 slashing damage.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 150 ft./600 ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8+1 piercing damage.

Equipment Handaxe, Handaxe, Longbow, shield, backpack, bedroll, broken pauldron (manticore quills), clothes, common, mess kit, military rank insignia (corporal), playing card set, pouch, rations (10), rope, hempen (50 feet), tinderbox, torch (10), waterskin

Last edited by Runetide; Jul 20th, 2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 03:40 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9554
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
I have a character ready that would be SO perfect for this! He's a hexblade warlock with a background as a farmhand. He made an eldritch deal for the powers he has literally just so he could deal with pesky adventurers who kept messing up his vegetable patches every time they came around looking to fight the (peaceful) orc tribe in the neighboring woods.

Slammed with work right now, but I'll have an application up by tomorrow.
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 04:02 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3826
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
Application
right-aligned image

Sup Farm Girl,

The name is Teela Of The Thunderbird Clan, you probably don't know it since it's pretty far from whatever this place is called. As you may have noticed from my profile painting, (by the way not so bad, I would show you a bit more muscles but my painter friend was a bit too distracted on said muscles), I'm an orc. Well Half-orc, my mother was an elf, taught me some brains unlike the chumps of my tribe. Anyways, enough about my parents, I'd like to apply for the job. You see, I used to be my tribe's run of the mill huntress and I kind of got tired with the job. That, and add in the fact that while I was off mushroom hunting, I found myself in a mysterious cave which transported me to this strange place. But nevermind the small stuff, I want in because my mother always said I was meant for something more than a chieftains daughter. I wanna work hard, so I'll take the job as the farm's accountant.

For my work experiences, as said before I was my tribe's huntress. Add into the fact that I'm top of the class in my tribe's next generation, though it's mostly a muscle contest instead of an actual education system. Also, my tribe are called Thunderbirds mostly because they've been gifted by this magical bird made of storms with storm magic, meaning my clan can shoot lightning out of their chest. I can do that too once it comes naturally to me. But that's not why I'm here, I'm not here to return to my tribe as the most powerful warrior nor am I doing this for some vision quest, no, I'm here because I want to one day open up my own business. I heard in your application that there is enough property to make a restaurant, I wanna be the manager. But I can't do that without a little bit of internship and accounting skills, so if you don't mind I request the role of an accountant til I gain enough experience to be a manager.

So please give me at least the chance to try out, I can make a pretty mean coffee.

Old Jul 21st, 2022, 01:16 PM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4728
morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha
Hi 97! Happy to see this game come to fruition!

I'm definitely interested in entering an app. I had an idea for an accountant but Onward beat me to it (no hard feelings!).

Instead I like the idea of playing a character with necromantic powers (maybe either a circle of spores druid or a straight up necromancy wizard). Before I go ahead and write something up, I just wanted to gauge your feelings on whether or not that could fit. Would people in general be scared of those kinds of powers? Would my character have to hide them?