RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
Sergal Psion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 516
KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose
Well, some of the mutations are pretty awesome as well. The scorpion tail has unlimited poison, mental overdrive increases your int by six points, and even a few major negative mutations have amazing effects(such as tumorization, which increases your con by six points and gives you fast healing).
EDIT: Oh, and keep in mind that we have about 20 nanounits at level one, and unless we're in a more nano rich area, we get one unit back per ten minutes. Sure, we can pull off some neat stuff, but not always, and not often.

Last edited by KitsuneOfTheRose; Oct 23rd, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 03:57 PM
Sergal Psion

Tools
User Statistics
KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose
Another thing: the DC for most of the nanotech uses is above ten. At level one, we get next to no bonus on these checks, so we have to rely on our wisdom modifier only.
So the DC 17 trick is very tough to pull off at level one. Smaller effects are easier, so increasing one sense by five points for a short amount of time is easy, but purifying a pool of water is tougher, and making food, albeit bland yet healthy, would be much tougher.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 06:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6365
Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh Naresh
What determines bonuses to the checks? Is DC 17 a hard trick? compared to other tricks?

DC 17 isn't so hard, even a fair wis of 14 will succed 1/4 of the time, at most about 18 wis for 13 required. I've bet on 13s before. You attack gambling on higher than 13s..

If everyone waited to do stuff until the DC was a good 50/50 it'd be pretty meh at times wouldn't it?
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Sergal Psion

Tools
User Statistics
DC 17 isn't really tough, to be honest. Just not great. Sure, it can damage for 3d6, but it's not as powerful as dealing 10d6 radiation damage, for example, which would be closer to DC 53. Even if you just did 5d6 radiation damage to yourself(to cause a mutation, for example) would be DC 24, and if you wanted to deal 5d6 damage to someone, it's DC 18. But one can't pull it off many times in one fight, because it takes 14 nanounits.
3d6 damage is somewhat easy, true. But several pistols deal 2d8, and that doesn't run a chance of failing(plus you can do it more then once a round, sometimes).
Compared to other things at level one, it's a bit powerful. But if you have a desert eagle XIX and ammo for it, you can do a decent amount of damage many times in one fight.
Still, one out of four times isn't a great chance. Less so when each failure runs the risk of botching the attempt and doing the opposite of what you wanted(damage yourself for the same amount) or even worse possibilities. And if you fail by 15 or more(which is possible with DC 17 even with 18 wisdom), that happens.
Plus you'll be out the nanounits you spent on that power until you "cure" the lost nanounits with a nanoblock machine, which has a purchase DC of 30 for the parts, takes a DC 30 craft mechanical and a DC 30 craft electronic check to build, plus it only works if the nano level is above normal, you need to make a DC 20 craft nanotech check, which repairs the area bonus per successful check.
When you're taking a risk of failure with really bad effects if you fail, one tends gamble less.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Sergal Psion

Tools
User Statistics
Oh, and post your sheet, Naresh! I want to see what kind of "normal" character you are playing.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
DC 17 isn't really tough, to be honest. Just not great. Sure, it can damage for 3d6
3d6 is alot for a level 1

As for my sheet? no...
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
Sergal Psion

Tools
User Statistics
Very true, Naresh, at level one, 3d6 can kill a person outright, assuming they have eight or less HP.
But, this also applies to the person creating the nanotech effect. As you said, one quarter of the time, they could pull it off. A full half nothing happens, save they are out the units spent on it for a little while, so no retry's in this fight. And the last quarter of the time, they take the damage from the effect themselves, at the very least. And the DM us encouraged to be cruel in that part. Plus, assuming they live to regret it, they have much less nano for the next while.

And why not on the sheet? You playing in a private thread? Or you just don't want to share?

Also, doesn't the book say starting characters are level three? Not suggesting it just because it would increase our stregnth, but mostly because... Well, yeah, it would make surviving the start somewhat easier. Plus, I have some odd tendency to assuming things are going to be by the book unless otherwise noted. My best friend got angry at me one time because if it. He angry because I was pointing out a mistake he made, citing rule zero as his defense.
Fun guy, but he can be a bit foolish now and then.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I am playing with you guys, you make it sound like I am being selfish or something... I always keep my sheets secret, I have a complex about metagaming, that is all
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Fear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 78
hobocommando
Yeah metagaming can be a real pain in the ass.

Anyway, I am so glad you guys are actually researching this stuff, and actually i haven't set aside time to really look into the books to make sure I know what I'm talking about. So I will definitely get on that and let you know. Don't feel bad for pointing things out. I'd rather be told I'm wrong than have someone powder my ass and tell me I'm a good boy.

Now that I think about it, Level three might be easier for me as well. So I'm gonna just give the go ahead for that. I know this might be a hassle so my bad. I'll post some more info with my research soon.
Burn like my power ... Sinestro's Might!
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Fear

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 78
hobocommando
Hey guys. I've been in a car accident today. I'm fine and all that but I'm gonna put a hold on my posting for a bit. I need to get some things figured out and it would be a lot of help if I could press pause for the time being.
Burn like my power ... Sinestro's Might!
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Dance is what Dance does

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1437
orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter orangehatter
Jeez man! Glad you ok!

Do what ya gotta do.

Computers were on lock down here for a security violation thanks to some morons. Back in full effect!
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
Sergal Psion

Tools
User Statistics
Oh dear. Uh, get well soon.