Game Thread The Voyage of the Avilers - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > Raiders of the Savage Coast > Archive
twitter facebook facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Virulain's Avatar
Virulain Virulain is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 4th, 2013
RPXP: 2269
Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain
Posts: 2,954
OOCEveryone seems to be waiting for someone else to go first... Else it's weekend syndrome. Either way, allow me to go first.


Nothing came of any of it, of course. Antimony should have expected it; why else call them all into the cabin if he didn't mean to do or say something? Maybe I've lost the knack for recognizing social calls, she thought, subconsciously sizing up everyone in the room. The songstress didn't believe for a moment that any of them would have lasted long where she'd just come from... No, not at all. Half of her reviled them, despised anyone who hadn't suffered as she had. The other half, sleepy from a long hibernation while animal instincts protected her, was only now blinking to the reality of this world, where charity and kindness were possible for their own sakes, and not used as tools to reveal a weakness.

But that reawakening would take time and strength. Antimony suddenly yawned and her stomach gurgled. Luckily no one seemed to be paying much attention to her after Nelbin and the sailors' apologist added their own tailings and the captain tossed his clipped coins in... Did the air just get colder? she thought, shivering--

Bells' clangor shattered her milling thoughts. One of the men screamed about dark omens. Despite the rising hair on her arms and the back of her neck, the half-elf spared time for a sarcastic "Of course," as everyone filed out of the cabin to gawk. (She did, too, of course; she was a bard! Oddities were the stuff of money-making for her.) Things would just have to go awry, wouldn't they? One day out at sea and already, something was going wrong.

Darkness eclipsed them all. It was absolute; even her normally strong night vision was smothered in this unnatural and sudden night. What is this? "Is everyone okay?" she said aloud, using a normal voice. Despite the blindness, she felt a little more at ease... The state of chaos, of constant mortal danger, was where she had whiled away the last year or more. She had no idea now of how long... No. She refocused on the situation to hand. The sailors were thumping around wildly; the captain had issued no orders, nor did Antimony hear the voice of the first mate. "Try not to move around too much--sit, or grab the walls--" she followed her own advice as the ship pitched around.

Still no orders. This is ridiculous! "You scurvy-addled dogs!" she bellowed at the sailors. "Do you wear little girl bloomers and sit to piss, or are you sailors? RIGHT THIS SHIP!" She took another deep breath, but this time to sing, not yell. Part of the arts she'd studied and then suffered for was the ability to put the swing back in a man's step and return the fire to his heart through the arc of art alone--now was time to put that learning to the test. She had paid for it, after all...

Pinning herself against a wall for better balance, as well as to get the heck out of the way, she began singing with all her strength. "A wet sheet and a flowing sea, a wind that follows fast and fills the white and rustling sail and bends the gallant mast--and bends the gallant mast, my boys! While like an eagle free away the good ship flies and leaves Liberty on our lee.

"Oh! Give me a wet sheet a flowing sea and a wind that follows fast, and fills the white and rustling sail and bends the gallant mast-- Oh for a soft and gentle wind I heard a fair one cry, but give to me the roaring breeze and the white waves heaving high! And white waves heaving high my boys, the good ship tight and free. The world of waters is our home and merry men are we.

"A wet sheet and a flowing sea, a wind that follows fast and fills the white and rustling sail and bends the gallant mast--and bends the gallant mast, my boys! While like an eagle free away the good ship flies and leaves Liberty on our lee.

"There's a tempest in yon horned moon and lightning in yon cloud; and hard the music mariners, the wind is piping loud! The wind is piping loud my boys, the lightning flashes free while the hollow oak our palace is--our heritage the sea--!"
__________________
Maybe back.
Skype me at sensetonicvi or occasionally on AIM as Virulain. Please don't make me ask who you are.

Last edited by Virulain; Oct 11th, 2009 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 15th, 2021
RPXP: 25298
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,557
Kai stood in silence gazing up into the pitch black, his lips moving and a hoarse whisper emerged "...the celestial spheres aligned....has to be...."
He backtracks a few steps with his left hand fumbling about for something to grab unto while stuffing his book back into the safety of his robes with his right hand "....wouldn't believe it to be so....dark...." an idea suddenly awakens and with a flick of his wrist and an arcane word spoken he releases a firefly from his pouch in hope to conjure magical light from his fingertips.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 01:47 AM
HughtheHand's Avatar
HughtheHand HughtheHand is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2021
RPXP: 5017
HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand
Posts: 3,077
Nelbin stands in the darkness, clutching a railing or a post or something that is next to him, while all around in the darkness he can hear voices, some frightened, some angry, and even song. Listening to the bard sing, he felt a sense of ease and vitality settle upon his shoulders.

"Whatever is causing this, it isn't the end, this isn't that darkness. Don't go slipping away, Nelbin, keep your head in the real world right now, that's the important thing..."

The feel of the wood underneath his palms gives the gnome extra reassurance that he is indeed awake.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 02:03 AM
mcl01's Avatar
mcl01 mcl01 is offline
Moxious
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 8th, 2018
RPXP: 2688
mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01
Posts: 2,827
Heaven-sent light bleakly fades from our eyes,
Suddenly - at once - gone - that we surmise.
What surges now forth in night's cloaked guise?
A darkened tide washes over, the blackest demise...


It's funny how the mind works. Despite the absolute terror coursing throughout his body, Cern's mind couldn't help but match a rhyme to the occasion. A grim poem befitting a grim situation.

As his surroundings fade into darkness, Cern's mind races, unsure and alarmed at the ominous event. He was not used to darkness - even in the blackest of nights, the meager starlight was ample enough for his keen eyes. Blind now, arms groping desperately for contact with something to increase his balance, Cern drops to the floor, prone, lowering his center of gravity. "Everyone, stay low lest you lose your balance! You do not want to be knocked off the ship in this maddening darkness!"

Above the tumultuous, panicked roar of the Aviler's crew, Cern tries to listen for anything at all to orient himself among the other crew members. He quiets himself and tries to listen for anything that could tell him what the heck was going on.
__________________
A heart that's made of gold can't really beat at all...

[3.5e] Dumakis Divided.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM
UncaJJ's Avatar
UncaJJ UncaJJ is offline
god-King of GM brutality
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 18th, 2021
RPXP: 1701
UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ
Posts: 3,496
Glibnick

Glibnick nods along as the captain requests their help keeping an eye on the crew. But as the hue and cry comes from the deck, he lets everyone else proceed him through the door before he attempts to wedge his large bulk through the tight doorway. As the sky starts to darken, he prepares for his darkvision to come into play, but as it does not, he gapes about for a moment. Antimony's yell, curse and song breaks him out of his disbelief, and the dwarf grabs the doorway with one hand and bellows out to those near him. "Oy! Grab hold o' me hand if you be near me! Form a chain o' bodies so that no one be throwing themselves overboard on accident."

The warrior grabs the first hand that reaches him in an iron grip. "That be good! now stretch out and find the next person!" He continues calling out encouragement and directing those nearby to the growing chain. "Hold tight lads! And lasses if either of ye' be here! Hold tight and get all together!"

 
__________________
5 People working/schooling from home makes for no time for fun. (2020/04/02)
Come play in Tug of War
UncaJJ's baby Sarosian Sig updated 2013-03-20
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM
HughtheHand's Avatar
HughtheHand HughtheHand is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2021
RPXP: 5017
HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand
Posts: 3,077
Nelbin feels his hand being crushed as the screaming dwarf grabs onto it. For a moment the thought comes to him that he'd rather takes his chances falling overboard rather than lose a hand, but a sick rock of the ship changes his mind swiftly. Reaching outwards, Nelbin searches for others who might be near and need a steadying hand. "Down here, if you're there, grab hold of my hand! Don't think about the darkness, think about what you need to do on this ship! You sailors know it like the backs of your hands!"

At least, I hope they do.... Barnaby thinks.

Last edited by HughtheHand; Oct 13th, 2009 at 06:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Colatine's Avatar
Colatine Colatine is offline
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 6th, 2015
RPXP: 1731
Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine
Posts: 5,609
Antimony's command, followed by her soothing song, seems to calm the nerves of the crew. The surprise of the crew at the commanding voice from the wisp of a girl might have been observed had there been any light. Yet the steel in her voice, followed by her singing, make them want to obey the little girl; girding their strength and will. The orders bellowed out by Barnaby and Glibnick are swiftly followed, as men reach out, holding on to each other.

Cedric finds the magical light of little help, as it barely illuminates more than his fingertip.

"Aye men, you know the ship like the back of yer hand. Man yer post, wherever you are, hold steady and hold tight to anything." came the commanding voice of Huxley from the helm.

The Avilers suddenly lists hard to port, yet the crew, now with their purpose reaffirmed, hangs tight, keeping her steady enough. After several minutes, the sun reemerges, yet to the surprise of many, it is the setting sun.


"Cap'n...the other ships....they are...ehhh...not to be sighted" called out Old Pete from the Crow's Nest.
XP200 for everyone; please post any nominations for bonus XP in the OOC thread or PM me. (anyone can nominate, even those in the other ships)
__________________
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 06:53 AM
HughtheHand's Avatar
HughtheHand HughtheHand is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 20th, 2021
RPXP: 5017
HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand HughtheHand
Posts: 3,077
Nelbin pulls his hand from the dwarf's iron grip and slowly flexes the crushed fingers. Nodding a thank you, the gnome looks around the ship. Spying the young girl who had most likely saved them all, Nelbin made his windy little way over to her. Stopping a few steps away, he places his hands across his heart and bows from the waist. The wind whips his shaggy grayish hair about slightly.

Righting himself, a grand smile plays across his face, making his wide slightly unfocused eyes seem very warm. "I believe you have done a grand thing here, and I believe every one of us owes you a debt of thanks. Desna must shine her favor upon you, and us to be lucky enough to have such a steady-minded companion. Your song was a steadying hand in that darkness. I know not what caused it, but perhaps it might have taken us had we let fear have its way. And more than that..."

The gnomes eyes twinkle.

"...I am deeply impressed by your silver tongue, though I can see it can also function as a lash. I will be sure to stay on your good side." Chuckling quietly, the gnome wanders off to make sure no one had been injured during the darkness.

Last edited by HughtheHand; Oct 13th, 2009 at 06:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 07:55 AM
UncaJJ's Avatar
UncaJJ UncaJJ is offline
god-King of GM brutality
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 18th, 2021
RPXP: 1701
UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ
Posts: 3,496
Glibnick

As the gnome releases his hand, Glibnick looks around before running to the rail of the ship as Old Pete calls out. He squints his eyes, looking for any sign of the ships, or what might be left of them...

He calls up to Old Pete as he looks. "Pete! Do you be seing anything that might be... PART of one of the ships?"

 
__________________
5 People working/schooling from home makes for no time for fun. (2020/04/02)
Come play in Tug of War
UncaJJ's baby Sarosian Sig updated 2013-03-20
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Virulain's Avatar
Virulain Virulain is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 4th, 2013
RPXP: 2269
Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain Virulain
Posts: 2,954
Something in the churn and roil of chaos faltered at her song and she could feel order returning in the darkness--she could hear it in the patterning of footsteps, in the call and response which slowly grew among the crew as she sang, voice flowing clear and righteous from her breast as it had not in so long... In too long. The resonance and relief were enough to crack the ice which had grown in her, the ice which had kept her heart together despite that fear that she would forget how to grasp the songs and power. Even though she stumbled when the ship suddenly dipped, she sang on, redoubling her effort until suddenly, the darkness evaporated, leaving them all looking out over an empty sea at a sun hanging low over the horizon.

Antimony surreptitiously dried her cheeks before anyone could say anything. Her dirty hair was gilt by the dying light, the look of her leathers and homespun softened. She silently regarded the gnome priest, who bowed and thanked her, saying a name she had not heard in a long time, if ever, really. Desna...

At his joke, she smiled. "Just doing my part, priest. I... Would like to speak with you later," she said as he walked away. Maybe he knows some lore as part of his practice which I never had a chance to learn. Maybe something that could even help them on this voyage.

She looked over at the dwarf. "I don't think we were introduced, friend dwarf. I'm Antimony Wainwright. It was luck we had some sane passengers aboard today. And you, Cern." With that, she ducked back into the cabin to see about the captain, as all had left mid-chit chat to see why someone had raised the alarum.

"Captain..."
__________________
Maybe back.
Skype me at sensetonicvi or occasionally on AIM as Virulain. Please don't make me ask who you are.

Last edited by Virulain; Oct 13th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 15th, 2021
RPXP: 25298
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,557
Kai stood silent, gazing absently at his lid up finger but focusing more on the conversations being held around him Sane passengers? looking back up at the setting sun he quietly clears his throat, hoping that he wont be thrown overboard for what he is about to say "I doubt you will find anything Pete, there is something amiss here, and I think it might be us." tilting his head towards the setting sun he explains "I am guessing we have moved through time or space, perhaps even both. That eclipse we just witnessed was caused by.... well by many a complex events occurring at the same time, making the thin veil between pla...places extremely vulnerable," walking towards the railing of the ship he bends over and scans the sea "maybe some of you old seadogs can tell me if we are sailing the same waters as before?"

He gripped the railing so hard that small drops of blood started running down his left hand, from his still healing wound as he stared into the deep ocean beneath them Let us hope that I am indeed without sanity, it would make things so much easier.


Last edited by Cedric; Oct 13th, 2009 at 08:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Colatine's Avatar
Colatine Colatine is offline
Rat of Dubious Liniage
Event Judge  

Former Staff  

Hall of Fame DM 2008
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Oct 6th, 2015
RPXP: 1731
Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine Colatine
Posts: 5,609
Kai, a man well versed in strange phenomenon, studied the skies and the setting sun. The ship had indeed shifted, several hundred leagues by the looks of it.

"Ehh...yeah, I think the studious man's right, there'd be no ship in sight...not even any debris." Pete replied, sending murmurs among the crew.

Fenn looked awestruck and out of his element a bit, his mouth gaping, as he stood grasping the door to his cabin. " To work men. We are still on course."he said, wiping his brow.

Jalamar grabbed Antimony by the shoulder. "Not in front of the men," he whispered gently.

Huxley bound up next to the Captain, smiling. "Tomas just checked the sextant and the maps, we'd be on course men! Nothing to worry at all.How about that boxing match then. What do you say Master Dwarf? I'll bet 10 gold that our Ox here will knock you out. What say you men?" he asked the crew. "Wendt, break open the cask of the special ale for dinner." he hollered below deck.
__________________
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 03:07 AM
mcl01's Avatar
mcl01 mcl01 is offline
Moxious
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Mar 8th, 2018
RPXP: 2688
mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01 mcl01
Posts: 2,827
Cern rises up from his squatting position, obviously thoroughly shaken from the ordeal. He had been strangely calm during the woman's song, but now that the voice was still, he was far from it. "What in... in..." Noticeable tremors wrack Cern's body occasionally, only to be stilled by an iron grip from his pale-white hands. "I... I've seen... all sorts of... of magic throughout my life. And, nothing ever like that." All the while, he breathes heavily and his eyes blink nervously as they adjust to the now-fading light once more.

Turning to Kai, he gulps down a few mouthfuls of briny air, trying to regain his composure. Putting on a half-hearted grin, he asks a question. "H.. how can you remain so calm after all that? How can you just so nonchalantly say we've been moved?"
OOCHow high was the sun before the darkness?
__________________
A heart that's made of gold can't really beat at all...

[3.5e] Dumakis Divided.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 03:09 AM
UncaJJ's Avatar
UncaJJ UncaJJ is offline
god-King of GM brutality
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Feb 18th, 2021
RPXP: 1701
UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ UncaJJ
Posts: 3,496
Glibnick

Glibnick turns to Antimony as she addresses him. "Aye lass, I do apologize fer not introducing myself on the docks. The madman did distract me I think. I be Glibnick the Downtrodden, warrior extraordinaire." The dwarf bows with such fluidity and grace that you would think he was of a much more narrow girth.

The dwarf blinks momentarily as Huxley brings up the boxing match, then grins as he understands the diversion tactic being used. "Aye! Nothing like a boxing match to warm the blood! I'll just go get ready and be back in a moment!"

Glibnick crosses to Antimony and whispers quickly to her before heading to his bunk to shed his armor and weapons for the, hopefully, friendly boxing match.
 
__________________
5 People working/schooling from home makes for no time for fun. (2020/04/02)
Come play in Tug of War
UncaJJ's baby Sarosian Sig updated 2013-03-20
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old Oct 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Sep 15th, 2021
RPXP: 25298
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,557
Kai gives Cern a warm smile as he walks towards him, lowering his voice so as the crew would find a hard time hearing him "Do we have a reason not to be calm? Believe me I find this just as thrilling and strange as the rest of you but it has happened non the less so we might as well make the best of it." watching the commotion around him he switches to the elven dialect "That is not to say we don't need our wits about, but we need the crew at ease and functioning if we are to find our path again."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2023, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB