RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jan 20th, 2022, 09:43 PM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15143
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Sahra': The Lion and the Lamb

The day, like most summer days, was blisteringly hot by noon; the sun beat down, steady as a war drum and as potent as cobra's venom. Businesses closed until the evening because no one should stay out in that sun for too long. That's what it meant to be a city in Sahra', but Irram - oasis or no - sat in the center of the continent, surrounded by a sea of sand that only the Shra'la Niyaht tribes could thrive in. The streets, markets, and even the date farms, all emptied as noon approached and would not open until the sun had passed its zenith and was well on it's way to the western part of the world. Paupers and princes, shopkeepers and schoolchildren, merchants and miners - all would retreat to basements and gardens to relax or nap through the long afternoons. Out in the dunes surrounding the city, travelers had a chance because of the winds, but within the city walls, the hot air became trapped between the buildings, and the squares would turn into ovens. This was the way of the world, this was Sahra' - and for the past three hundred years, Irram was the mythological heart of the beast, the capital of free trade hidden in the center of a continent always embroiled in war and intrigue. This is why, when the days are long in the summer heat and shops close before even lunch is served, the ordinary people say "a live cat is better than a dead lion." The phrase now twists upon people's tongues in irony.

The Lion approaches. Hazma of House Fida, the general of the neighboring city I'bri. A longtime friend of the Prince Taariq Shra'la, the ruler of Irram, Hazma the Lion is regarded as a genius battlefield commander and key to the holding the south at bay from the encroaching forces of Ramalia. Bringing the main force of I'brian forces north, to Irram, has set the city alight with rumors. At the same time, Irram's own military has been bogged down in the north, where house Nihayat - the second most-powerful in Irram - has been discouraging Ramalian scouts from entering the deep desert. Will Irram finally be besieged? Since its foundation, the city has been surrounded by a magical sandstorm that has made encampment outside of it impossible. Ramalia has tried to annex Irram before, but their army was swallowed by that storm. This sudden visit from the Lion is not a coincidence, but rather a sign that change is coming - that war is coming. And such a visit would not be possible without the blessing of Prince Taariq. Intrigue is afoot in the heart of Sahra'. The Lion has been drawn out of his den.

In the heart of Irram lies the old city, where the palace, oasis, and original city stands behind ancient sandstone walls. This is where our story will start. Eamon Eitari, a long-time friend of Prince Taariq, has put out a call for "children of unusual gumption" to help him prepare for the arrival of Hazma. And here you arrive, those children. Eamon cares not whether you were raised in the streets, or in the richest families of Irram. As a retired businessman of incredible renown, there's not a name out there that knows Eamon. But times like these - times of change - demand discretion more than renown. You will be his eyes and ears; you will conduct tasks for him, and be rewarded. Eamon is looking for those with the will to succeed, with adventuring spirit, and with the potential to be the movers and shakers in Irram. And as one of the most powerful people in the city, most families will agree to the businessman taking an interest in their kids - even if their lives become endangered.

Irram, Crossroads of TradeIf you've followed along this far and are still interested, let me tell you more about the game and how your characters will fit into it. This is a semi-sandbox game. The setting is Irram, a city that has been built around an oasis. It is protected by a magical sandstorm that is almost impossible for large groups to traverse except when guided. Despite being close to the Ramalian Empire in the west, this storm has protected it from annexation. Irram is thus a crossroads of trade along the continent and beyond. It also has gold and silver mines nearby, which is why it uses its own currency. Irram is a city state ruled by House Shra'la, though it would be unable to rule without the support of House Niyahat. There are many Houses in Irram, small and large. It is a city where economics and politics are closely tied together. The cosmopolitan nature of the city has led to many trading routes and alliances with cities and nations opposed to Ramalia. But Irram is powerful enough to remain independent, too.

As players, your characters will be unleashed upon a city. You will be given tasks by Eamon Eitari. Basic goods will be provided by him, along with pay. In this way, the game is like an urban sandbox. Success or failure will both move events forward. But there are also events happening outside of your character's control - such as the approach of Hazma the Lion, or the skirmishes between House Niyahat and the Ramalian military. The world will keep spinning even as your characters live their lives - and they will be affected by the world. As well as, in time, influence or change the flow of events around them. Where the sandbox environment of Irram meets the "on-rails" events laid out, is where the characters have a chance to derail the story I've envisioned - and I'm looking forward to that.

As a DM, I've had this game in various stages of development since 2014. This world is far more fleshed out than Adnatu. And learning from my previous mistakes, I'm not going to overstretch myself. The world exists, lore exists, but there's no need to rush to explore every corner of it. There will be more than enough to see and do and interact with in just Irram. That's where this game is envisioned to take place and I'm not considering leaving Irram right now. This is an urban adventure game. This is also a low-magic setting. Magic is from the age of Myth and the age of Heroes. So are deities. Religious worship is alive and well, but actual casters are rare. Powerful Houses are sometimes known to have sorcerer blood in them, and magical artifacts exist in the world - such as the sandstorm around Irram - but make no mistake, magic is extremely rare.

Enter the PlayersStill with me? Here's what I'm looking for in players:

I’m looking for people who can communicate. If you’re going to be away from posting for a while, I get it. Life happens. Please let me (or the group) know as soon as you know it’s coming, or as soon after the fact as is reasonable. I understand that sometimes there’s nothing to prevent you from going AWOL, and I’ll hold a spot open for players in good standing for a while, but after several weeks without communication I reserve the right to move on, potentially replacing the player.

I’m looking for people who can play a character. In-character knowledge is very different from player or meta knowledge. Sure, you can design your character with generalities in mind, but, for example, I want to see a nice backstory reason or Knowledge (religion) roll before a character goes to their backup bludgeoning weapon against a skeleton.

I’m looking for Role Play over Roll Play. Numbers and crunch are a part of Pathfinder, and more so than many other systems. I respect that and expect a certain level of optimization when it comes to decision-making, but it can’t come at the expense of the integrity of the character. People have flaws. I want to see them come up at times.

I’m looking for people who can write a solid post. I’m not demanding voluminous posts constantly, nor do I employ any sort of word count minimums. Yes, I usually want at least two thought-out paragraphs. More is great, but I’m not going to value verbosity over a more succinct post that is still evocative. All I want is to feel the character. I do care about grammar and spelling, but I can overlook errors when they aren’t a regular part of a player’s posts. Use spellcheck. I do, and I need it.

I'm looking to keep things comfortable for everyone: As part of any player application, I ask that prospective players privately list any content they are uncomfortable with full inclusion of and any content they are uncomfortable with passing references to. This will be via PM for privacy's sake. I will list all disallowed content before proceeding to the game's start using the information provided.

I’m looking for people who want to have fun. There may be serious themes in the game, but at the end of the day, you’re in this for enjoyment. I don’t want this to be a chore for anyone. I may bend rules in the name of fun, and in return I will ask that players allow me to do the same to a very limited extent and never to outright malicious ends. This leads us into my final point:

I’m looking for people who can respect Rule Zero. I’m not a dictator. I don’t need the game to strictly follow the Rules As Written to the letter with citations of developer posts to justify things. I will make decisions on matters of interpretation, though, and I need to be able to do so without it being an issue. If you don’t agree with my ruling, I invite a politely worded PM on the subject, and I may actually consider changing my decision, but I have to be able to move the game along, and endless infighting about rulings does not facilitate that.

Special thanks to Ziether for writing this brilliant summary of the ideal player. This is absolutely brilliant stuff here.

Enter the ProtagonistCharacters will begin at level zero, so there is no need for applicants to develop the mechanics of the character yet. The character will then progress in-game to the apprentice stage by mentoring under an NPC before leveling up. Learning abilities and spells from other NPCs in the game world will drive leveling, though "spontaneous growth" will also come up at times, such as overcoming a life-or-death scenario. If you are interested in the mechanics of the game, check out the House Rules.

Character Name: Creative but not ridiculous, please.
Gender: Any and all gender expressions are welcome. Please include pronouns.
Ancestry: Because this is a home-brewed setting, the ancestries available to players are in the House Rules.
Age: The target character age is 14-17 (or the mental equivalent of a human at that age).
Application Status: Complete, Pending Review, etc. - just a word or two to let me know where you're at in your process.

Make sure to also include the following:
  • A description of how they look and act. Feel free to also provide a small, tasteful image, for reference, if you can find one that will do more good than harm.
  • What makes your character tick? What are their hopes? Dreams? Fears? Secrets? Quirks? Let me have a look into who you think your character is, so we can explore what they will become.
  • What motivates your character, day in and day out? If you're not sure what I mean by motivation, I hope this quote from a legendary player and moderator helps set you on the right path. This is arguably the part of the applications I'm looking forward to the most.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ItsaVerb
    I think a character should have a motivation, but it doesn't need to line up in any particular way with the "adventure". I think their motivation (don't confuse motivation with some specific outcome a player hopes to see their character achieve) informs how they deal with the adventure, so to speak.
  • Where they and their family lives, and how it has impacted them. Each player will be coming from a different area of the city, and so this is your chance to build out your section of the world that we'll all be playing in. Here's another quote from a respected peer of mine that really hits the nail on the head:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idilippy
    Getting the PCs involved not just in the game but in building the actual world itself is a great way to both get them invested and to prevent [the Gamemaster from] being stuck in a rut as a worldbuilder.
  • Finally, a paragraph (or more) in secret text and behind a spoiler button to me (Atalla Wanderer) with a secret about the character that was revealed when the character visited the palace as a young child. This secret will form the backbone of the personal plot-line for each character, and interweaving those plots into a single game will be my responsibility - one that I'm confident I can deliver. Please write this section from your character's perspective - as if it was a post made in a game thread. I want to get a feel for how the character will sound, think, and act.

Optional: Connected backgrounds and group applications - that is, characters that are aware of each other and have shared backgrounds - will definitely help us all work together towards a more cohesive world once selections are made. Even if I don't select an application, their character can and probably will exist in the game as an NPC. Relationships developed won't be devalued.

Player Information
  • Pathfinder 2e Experience: Do you have any experience with the system? I don't, this is my first game in it.
  • Favorite Class: What do you enjoy playing, or what do you return to again and again? If this is your first time playing, what do you want to play?
  • Your Favorite Aspect of TTRPGing: Combat? Intrigue? Critical fumbles? Skill checks?
  • One Awesome Moment: Describe one amazing moment in your TTRPG history. If you're brand new, describe something that interested you in playing TTRPGs.
  • Lines and Veils: In an accompanying PM to Atalla Wanderer, please let me know what subject matter/situations you are not comfortable fully exploring or seeing mentioned in the game. The site requires PG-13 conduct in general, but I want to work to be reasonably accommodating of individual needs, especially when I'm well aware that triggers can be quite varied and specific.

Do Not:
  • Include page-filling images (My default is Parchment Redux, so consider switching to that to figure out how I'm going to see your advert. I tend towards smaller laptops, too.)
  • Include any videos, or expect me to listen to any music
  • Roll any dice in this thread
  • Provide me with a character sheet/link

Game InfoPosting Rate: 1-3/week IC. This holds true to me as well - as much as I love reading the posts my players make, this is a game, not a book, and so I'll be playing the best characters of all - the ones that try to deceive, swindle, and kill you.

Players: I'm looking for between 9-12 players. The PCs will almost always be provided with multiple objectives, so breaking into groups will happen, and then everyone will be brought together for crescendo-type moments: those do-or-die situations.

Application Deadline: 25-FEB-2022. It will likely take me anywhere from a day to a week to review applications and decide on the final selections. I will provide final feedback if requested, for both those accepted and not accepted. Please be patient - I want to give everyone who puts in the work my utmost attention when considering their application.

Character Diaries: Each character will have a private diary that the players can optionally fill out from their character's perspective. While I will provide some information on NPCs in an Information thread, I will also leave it up to the players to figure out and document the ins and outs of the city, the characters they meet, and their impressions of the other characters. Since intrigue is a foundation for this game, you can think of your character's diary as a Dick Tracy notebook for solving the mystery. PBP games can take a hot minute, so putting all of the information that only your character knows into a single place might be beneficial to you, and I want to give everyone the chance to do so if you want to. Each player will also have a Private Thread for OOC questions and discussions.

Leveling / XP Gain: Fast. This is my first time running PF2e, so we'll see how things go. At our best pace, I hope to make level 4 by the end of the year, so don't think of this as another game where the characters are frozen in stone. The characters will gain experience and progress through the narrative, and as a player, you'll get to see the mechanical benefits of that. If you don't know or remember what that's like, trust me: it's worth it. In my previous PF1e game of a similar nature, I took characters from level 1 to 6 over the course of less than two years, so I'm planning on meeting or exceeding that pace of growth.

What is an adventure if not a series of surprises that need to be discovered and overcome?
~ Eamon Eitari, 15, spoken to Hazma Fida and Taariq Shra'la during the Third Ramalian War

Check out my new RPGC discord! Discussion of PBP and life, you'll see familiar faces!

Last edited by Atalla Wanderer; Mar 9th, 2022 at 10:36 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 01:22 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 713
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Does the 'Deep Backgrounds' rule require random selection? Or can PCs instead select the background elements that best suit them?
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 11:47 AM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Question: Does the 'Deep Backgrounds' rule require random selection? Or can PCs instead select the background elements that best suit them?

I would say that if a player wants to roll for their deep background they can, and Pathfinder provides those options. But if they have a specific idea on their character's background that they want to explore and flesh out, more power to them. If they have an idea but not sure how that idea or that background will fit into the setting, they only need to ask. I have a lot of information about this homebrew setting - I've spent close to 7 years tinkering with it. I'm available off-and-on on RPGX during the work week, and I'm always around on the unofficial RPGX Discord (just ping me and I'll be happy to take questions there as well).

If you want to Role Play your deep background, that's great! If you want to Roll Play it and work around the rolls you get to create your character, that's also great. I like giving the choice and power to my players to explore the concepts and characters they want to explore, whenever I can. If you've got a vision in mind, tell me about it!

Check out my new RPGC discord! Discussion of PBP and life, you'll see familiar faces!
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 03:11 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, new problem. This house rule really worries me:

Quote:
...Irram is the equivalent of a silk road city, so there will be many choices, but just because a player wants a certain class, doesn't mean their character will discover the mentor that can show them what they need to learn. While no classes are outright banned, what class your characters can become are dependent on the mentors the characters find, and their success - or failures - in the tasks they're given. Some classes will certainly be easier to find than others.
So players won't know whether they can play their favourite class until they've gone through the whole prologue? And the availability of said class depends on a set of hidden triggers that players can unknowingly miss? I can only speak for my own mental state here. But with that rule in force, 90% of my thoughts would be:

"Where's the Monk mentor? Have to find them. Have to keep them happy. If I miss them, I won't get to be a Monk. Is that woman the Monk mentor? Or that man over there? Wherearetheywherearetheywherearethey..."

I wouldn't have the mental bandwidth to care about much else. The campaign setting and plot would take a back seat, until I was absolutely sure of having found and satisfied the right mentor. Because if I failed to do that, I'd be forced down a career path that I don't enjoy. And since the process requires playing through the prologue, it'd be too late to withdraw from the game.

So, is it at all possible for players to opt out of this house rule? As I said, I can only speak for myself here. If other players find this job search fun, then they can play through it. But I'd much rather just select a class before the game starts. Befriending and learning from a mentor sounds great. I'd love to roleplay my character's deepening bond with them. Their meeting can even be 'random chance', within the story. I just don't want it to actually be random.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 04:35 PM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
So, I'm the type of the DM who likes to let each individual player explore the characters they're envisioning and really follow that vision to a place where they're satisfied. And if this means a goblin alchemist who transforms himself with wings, then so be it. That's a specific example of a character from a past game on this site. What I'm trying to say is, 90% of character ideas, or more, are going to be feasible in the setting. If you're hellbent on playing a monk, or a wizard, or a druid, or a bard, your character will find a mentor for that. You won't have to worry about looking, because providence will provide you with an NPC that can show you the ropes.

But if you're hellbent on making a swamp druid, or a Champion to the dark god Nergal, or an Oracle for specifically for Astarte, a warrior goddess, then no, you're not going to find any of those characters in this setting. You're not going to find anyone who worships Nergal (openly). You're not going to find a secret sect of Oracles for a warrior Goddess in a city this small. Irram is a city, but it's not Constantinople, or Tokyo, or NYC, or London. And you're not going to find a swamp or deep forest in the middle of a desert. There's an oasis, so there's probably druids there if your character were to go looking. Can you find a wizard? Usually no, but if you want to play a wizard, that opens new doors for me as a DM to introduce NPCS and antagonists that you otherwise might not see.

As a player you can absolutely tell me "I want to play X class. How do I play X class?" And then, as the DM, I'll tell you, "ooooh that's exciting, let's make that happen. let's have a discussion. let's make this enjoyable" and at the same time if you really want to play a swamp druid and that's all you'll want to play and you won't consider anything else then I'll tell you "this isn't the game for you".

Does that put your concerns at ease? It's "random" for the character you're roleplaying, but for you as the Player, it's only the illusion of randomness.

Last edited by Atalla Wanderer; Jan 21st, 2022 at 04:38 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 05:03 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Wonderful! That does indeed remove all my concerns. I'm 100% fine with being told that a concept of mine doesn't fit the setting. If monks in this world work a certain way, then I'll adapt my character to match.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 05:28 PM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
Perfect! I'd like to think I'm not a former Hall of Fame DM for nothing - we've just got to knock all the rust off me

Another question that came up in the discord, and is worth posting here was:

Question: Have a link to your setting's religious info? My characters tend to be highly conceptualized based off the setting...I can't create a character on its own. So the more I know about the setting = the more solidified and invested my character concept gets.

Answer: Some of the setting information is here, the rest is coming.. posting the advert is a way to get me to get off my butt and finish putting in the missing pieces. So I'll be adding to this as the weekend and week goes.

Old Jan 21st, 2022, 09:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3348
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Is there a technology limit? I'm asking because noy all pf2 classes feel compatible with the setting...(aka 2/3 of what intesersts here

Last edited by Ursinorum; Jan 21st, 2022 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jan 21st, 2022, 11:16 PM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
The technology level should be best described as "Islamic Golden Age," which puts it somewhere between Medieval and Enlightenment. Lots of advances are being made in medicine, law, mathematics, and engineering. Firearms exist in rudimentary forms, but are not common, not available for sale to the general public, and are regulated inside the walls of Irram. Because of the boom in engineering, clockwork is also starting to form, though steam power hasn't taken hold - mainly because this is a desert, and water is rare and highly valued. Instead inventors are relying on magical relics found from diving ruins left from the Age of Mythology - the war between Nergal and the Divine - to power their contraptions.

If you decide to research the Islamic Golden Age, our technology cut-off comparison will be nothing pass the 14th century.

Last edited by Atalla Wanderer; Jan 21st, 2022 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 07:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
I like that.

To simplify, what I'm hearing is:

Gunslinger, alchemist: yay

Inventor: nay (I'm new to pf2, but I think they build robots at a certain levels)
Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 11:22 AM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
I don't want to hard rule out Inventor until I read it, but gunslinger and alchemist are safe bets.

Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 02:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Zess WIP
right-aligned image

Name: Zess
Ancestry: Ratfolk
App Status: WIP

Background: Tinker or Gunsmith

Quote: "No-no-NO!! Never -ever- touch that lever! Or the red button. Or the brass key.. just.. just don't touch anything if you don't want to end up a pile of cinder. Why did I put them there? Mind your own business - that's why!"

Appearance: Scruffy to say the least. Zess is a brown-haired ratman, at around four feet tall, if he ever stood up straight, which he never does. He usually wears green robes over a leather apron with many pockets filled with much trash and some useful tools. he always wears protective lenses to protect himself from inevitable sparkles that his experiments usually produce. On his back he has a backpack filled with project schematics, notes and a variety of unintelligible gadgetry. Everything that Zess owns and makes looks dirty and battered, as he always prefers function over form, and yet he can often be spotted cleaning himself, .

Personality: Overactive thinker and a bit self absorbed, Zess might not be the best drinking buddy out there. He is convinced of being a genius, at least when it comes down to his art. Inquisitive and curious, he lives to find 'what is behind things' and really doesn't like magic users: magic alters reality and it makes it more difficult to understand. Also he's dead jealous of their power.

With a squeaky, high-pitched voice, Zess talks in short and direct sentences, again speaking to his practical frugality. Serious but vane will only spend extra words when talking about his creations and is very susceptible to flattery, which is how someone could convince him to do something he was against in beginning.

Backstory: Originally from Irram, Zess's kind, the ratfolk, is not famous for his family ties, once weaned off, baby ratmen are usually on their own, but generally do tend to congregate in larger groups, often ignoring to be talking to a cousin or a sister, and caring more about their community than about family. Due to their agility and cunning, the ratfolk of Irram mostly work in carpentry and roofing, also lending a hand in the sewers, which could be described as Zess formative years. Luckily, a few years ago the city councilors opened up applications for some extra "civil engineers" (where 'civil' stands for non-magical) to help maintain the city infrastructure, and Zess managed to get in.

The young rat made himself notice for having a knack at diagnosing problems and for his thorough -albeit messy- reports, and one of the city superintenders, Stredorf Olliran, took him under his wing in the city's defense departments. Master Olliran was a brilliant man and a good teacher, but Zess resented the fact that much of the man's knowledge was for humans-only. For this reason he jumped up at the offer of Master Eitari, as a lowly ratfolk, he needs a boost to rise.

Secrets: Havin issues figuring out the secret right now, might need help with that

Player infoPathfinder 2e Experience: None, I just started my first game in Starfinder, and that's all the experience I have with paizo material, but was an avid fan of dnd3.x, if it helps
Favorite Class: currently divided between Alchemist and Gunslinger, gonna wait until there's more applications to decide, I want to have fun blasting enemies while still maintaining an aura of professionalism in engineering (or Alchemy, I guess..).
Your Favorite Aspect of TTRPGing: In general, I'd say that Intrigue is my weak spot, but I enjoy a good balance of 60% combat 40% RP
One Awesome Moment: On PbP, but also in general, reaching the end of a chapter or a mission really feels great. But one time, in a party we were under attack and my bard stole a magic equipment, while admitting how inappropriate it was. Could link to that post. DM appreciated sticking to the inconsiderate AH of the pc I wrote.
Lines and Veils: The PG-13 covers everything I'm comfortable with.

Last edited by Ursinorum; Jan 22nd, 2022 at 02:50 PM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 01:03 AM
a strange creature

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1284
ghostwalking ghostwalking ghostwalking ghostwalking ghostwalking ghostwalking ghostwalking ghostwalking ghostwalking
Ixla Abena Daiyu - Complete
Name Ixla Abena Daiyu
Gender Female (she/her)
Ancestry Ratfolk (Ysoki)
Age 10 (developmentally, ~15 for humans)
App Status WIP

Background: Deep Background (as described in your House Rules)

Appearance:: Ixla, AbenaBorn on a Tuesday to the DaiyuBlack Jade clan, is an ysoki with grey brindle fur and and pale blue eyes. She dresses as a boy of her kind, and sometimes as a small human male when it amuses her. The loose flowing attire of the desert makes it easier to conceal her gender and even ancestry, if not examined too closely; and she has learned to adjust her gait somewhat to assist the illusion. While she would favor brightly colored clothing, she dresses in more common colors for the sake of practicality. Well, that and not being able to afford brightly colored clothing.

Personality and Motivations: She is full of curiosity and has a strong sense of adventure which appear to be, much to her mother's chagrin, her primary motivators. She loves collecting the stories, songs, and trinkets of travellers passing through Irram. When not lurking about she flagrantly entertains others for her own joy, and occassionally to distract or misdirect. Even the humans seems to enjoy her voice and acrobatic antics, which she has found to be useful.

Family: What is left of the Daiyu clan lives on the eastern edge of Irram, where the harsh desert sun first strikes in the morning unabated by the taller buildings and canopies that offer relief to other parts of town. Being "desert rats", as some humans call them, they are well adapted for the heat and know how to stay cool.

Background: The Daiyu clan came to Irram generations ago. They had been a respected family of rangers and guides who assisted travellers and caravans through the desert, and through Usaim's Sandstorm. But her father and brothers disappeared mysteriously when she was younger. There had been whispered slander that her uncle Weixoto had been leading Ramalian spies in and out of the oasis city. After that, it was all that her mother and three older sisters could do to keep water and food on the table.

Ixla grew learning how to entertain her family and neighbors. She loved seeing them smile and hearing their laughter. As she grew a little older and discovered the rumours that were still being spread about her father and brothers, she learned to disguise herself and carefully turn the slanderers own lies back on them. But there did seem to be some truth hidden in their malicious tales, and it ate at her.

Her mother brings her to Eamon Eitari's manor nervously. Her husband, Ixla's father, had provided valuable service to the merchant for years until his disappearance. It's obvious that Ixla will never be happy just tending a home and raising pups. And perhaps good relations could be restored with the merchant, raising the prospects for Ixla's mother and sisters.

Player Information
Pathfinder 2e Experience: My only Paizo experience is a little Starfinder.
Favorite Class: I don't have a favorite class. Really. I'll play anything. Though I am aiming for "Rogue Thief" with Ixla.
Favorite Aspect of TTRPGing: Developing the character and adventuring is where the most fun is. It just happens to be tucked away inside various problems that need solving, not infrequently with combat and other forms of violence. And the comedy of when things don't go quite as planned.
One Awesome Moment: This will sound terrible, but my favorite moments have probably been (as a DM at a live table) managing the comedy of terrible player choices. When a whole party goes along with an obviously terrible idea, I assume it's because I didn't communicate something clearly. So I generally try to turn it into an "and hillarity ensues" scene. Like the time the wizard in a mostly lawful good party cast Burning Hands in the narrow second floor hallway of a wooden inne full of sleeping innocent people.
Lines and Veils: PG-13 covers everything.

Last edited by ghostwalking; Feb 9th, 2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 01:16 AM
Ready for Battle

Tools
User Statistics
After talking with many RPGX folks, I've made the slight adjustment on posting rate to 1-3/week. What does this mean? It gives breathing room for those who are on the fence about applying but already have several games. Consider it as me knocking more dust off my self. Though I'm always hoping to see more banter (IC and OOC), I want to be accommodating to as many people as possible on realistic pacing.

Another thing of note: I haven't ran a PF2e PBP game either. This is my first outing in 2e, both overall and in our format. So don't let inexperience dissuade you - There hasn't been a lot of 2e games here yet, but I intend to get the ball rolling this year.

Old Jan 23rd, 2022, 07:43 AM
Orange Pirate
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9788
Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse Osse
Application Status: Pending Review

Character Information
left-aligned image
Name: Saam Aslani

Ancestry: Human | Gender: Female (she/her) | Age: 16

Appearance: Saam is a small girl. Roughly about 5 feet and 3 inches tall. Her arms and legs are tattooed with the symbols of her clan, House Aslani, who descend from the first desert guides of the area. She keeps her dark hair short and styled in dreadlocks. Most people who have seen Saam around would refer to her as the snake girl. She brings Keyhan, her pet albino desert python, wherever she goes. The two are nearly inseparable.

Personality: There is confidence in the way Saam carries herself. She does not let her small stature limit her presence in a room. She is loud and outgoing when around friends and family. And she does not shy around strangers. This is helpful for she works as a courier for those who want messages and parcels delivered across the city. Often, she uses rooftops and balconies as shortcuts.

Family: Saam Aslani is an only child. Her mother, Zari (age 34), runs the Crooked House by the Wall, a 3-story building that serves both as a tavern and as an inn. Her father, Farhad (age 33), was a palace guard. House Aslani now consists mostly of lower-middle-class folk. Saam has over two hundred cousins throughout the city of Irram and its neighboring communities. When she talks of knowing the right person for a job, she’s usually talking about one of her relatives. Though the clan has numerous members, only about 1 in a hundred truly know their way through the shifting dunes of the desert nowadays. Historians would say that House Aslani has lost its way.

Motivation: The main driving force behind Saam’s recent big decisions is a desire to get her father back. She has been working hard to make enough money to pay for Farhad's release. The disgraced guard has recently been dragged to the dungeons by House Nihayat for failing to pay off his gambling debts. The guard owes more than enough coin to buy three horses. He kept doubling down on his bets, despite having the odds stacked against his favor. Saam’s mother believes that Farhad deserves to rot in prison. He brought this on to himself, Zari would often say. Their marriage had been rocky for a handful of years.

Dream: Saam hopes to one day set out and explore the world, as her ancestors did. Travelers that come into the Crooked House by the Wall talk of seas, mountains, and forests. Of cities grander than Irram. Of creatures wondrous to behold. Wouldn’t it be nice to look at the horizon and not have your view be so damn sandy? She had already walked most of the streets and rooftops of Irram, thanks to her job. If not for her father's predicament, she may have already left the city and joined a merchant's caravan.

Player InformationPathfinder 2e Experience: Very little. Played once as a sorcerer, in November 2019, at a boardgame cafe. Was also in an RPGX game that did not make it past the introductory part of the adventure.

Favorite Class: None. I’ve mostly played the tank, the tactician, and the oddball. I intend to play the scout for this campaign.

Favorite Aspect of TTRPGs: Tense moments that make one stand when playing at a table or make one keep refreshing a page when playing PbP.

One Awesome Moment: Two and a half years ago, I was running Book 4 of a Kingmaker campaign. The PCs had been running the Duchy of Bokkenia for about 4 in-game years. In December 2018, one of my players sent me a message about his intention to have his character stage a coup against the rest of Bokkenia’s ruling council. I warned the player that it would most likely lead to the death of his character. The player was adamant, and so we hatched a plan. Over the next 6 months, we dropped multiple hints that something was amiss, but none of the other players figured out what was happening. In June 2019, we had a 9-hour-long session. At the halfway mark was a mass combat encounter. Bokkenia’s westernmost city, Tatzlford, was attacked by an army of barbarians, giants, and trolls. The PCs sent their armies there to defend. All save one. The 4th Company, the largest and best-equipped unit of the army, remained in the capital and seized it while the battle in the west was occurring. We executed it so well that the players who were blindsided were mad for only a few moments. I’ve never been prouder as a DM. Eventually, the rest of the PCs took the capital back and killed the traitor. A short log of the events can be found here.

Lines and Veils: I’m comfortable with pretty much anything that can be discussed in a place like Sophie’s Bunk from the old unofficial Discord server.

Last edited by Osse; Feb 8th, 2022 at 09:56 AM.