twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2020, 07:56 AM
Chaotic Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1008
OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple
Application Length?

Good afternoon everyone,

I hope you're all staying well and keeping healthy.

I have a few questions, I suppose. Regarding the "ideal" length for a character application, regardless of system.

As a player, I know I can waffle a fair bit, I like to get into the head of my character when writing their story. Yet I'm also conscious of not wanting to write too much: in your guys' experience, is there an optimum length (e.g. 1-3 paragraphs?)

I'm wondering if detailed bullet points would help me nail down my concepts more, but I also don't know whether that's frowned upon here?

Thoughts?
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 08:06 AM
Rancidly Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 464
PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490
Hi OtherwiseApple! So as a DM I like short applications, just enough to get into your character, but not a book. I would say 2-3 paragraphs is enough. It also depends on the DM and game of course, and what works for one DM might not work for another. I recommend you check out the Continuous Recruitment Games under the Games Seeking Players thread. Those are games that accept everyone and are open, so no need for a detailed application. What games do you play?
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 08:47 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1602
Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar Telcontar
Hi OtherwiseApple. This issue will vary from DM to DM. However, I think the following are generally true:
1. Compacting lots of information into a small package is a valuable skill for actual gameplay in PbP. And your application is an opportunity to show the DM that you have this skill.
2. If your character is Level 1, your character application should reflect this. In other words, don't create a character backstory that implies your character has already done a ton of adventuring.
3. Instead of creating pages of resolved character backstory, create a few pieces of unresolved character backstory. Stuff the DM can really latch onto. As much as possible, you want the good stuff to happen during gameplay, not in your character's backstory. It's much more fun.

And my #1 tip for making your character application stand out?
1. Create a character that belongs in the game. Avoid generic characters that could do service in virtually any game. Don't just create a Barbarian coz you haven't played one before. Read the DM's game ad, take some time to understand what the DM wants to achieve, and then make a character that fits perfectly, both mechanically and in terms of tone. Make the DM sit up and say, "Wow, this person really gets my game."

Last edited by Telcontar; Mar 25th, 2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 09:00 AM
Chaotic Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple
Thank you both for your thoughts on this!

I'm currently working on an application for a PF game, which is a system I'm relatively new to.

@Telcontar, your answer also touched a bit on another problem I worry about - which is how to make an application 'pop'.
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 09:37 AM
Give it another go

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 39006
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Echoing Telcontar, make it seem like your character belongs in their world as much as you can - most DMs won't mind if you PM them with inquires about the world if it helps you build your character.

Another simple technique you can deploy is simple formatting on important details. By using something as simple as a line break you force the reader to focus more on that information and it sticks with them longer than the rest of your info might - though if every other line is a line break then they will read it as if there was no line break at all.

Here is a guide I often provide my students in NPSG to read that helped me back before I decided DM'ing is far more fun:
The BAD-ASS Application Guide
Old Mar 25th, 2020, 12:22 PM
Chaotic Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retry View Post
Echoing Telcontar, make it seem like your character belongs in their world as much as you can - most DMs won't mind if you PM them with inquires about the world if it helps you build your character.

Another simple technique you can deploy is simple formatting on important details. By using something as simple as a line break you force the reader to focus more on that information and it sticks with them longer than the rest of your info might - though if every other line is a line break then they will read it as if there was no line break at all.

Here is a guide I often provide my students in NPSG to read that helped me back before I decided DM'ing is far more fun:
The BAD-ASS Application Guide
Thanks for the tips Retry!

I'll definitely give that application guide a skim over going forward. I had a quick peek and it seems like it has a tonne of useful advice.
Closed Thread