Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:31 AM
Space Lord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 272
neltymind neltymind neltymind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morogh View Post
My character was a big hulk who made a living in the city as muscle for hire. Often a bone-bender/collector for loan sharks and the like. Circumstances were devised as to why Bull went forth on the Glory Road, away from his beloved city and into the miserable rustic world. I decided nothing in this guy's mindset or personality suited wearing "Knight of the Round Table" plate armour.
While your concept is totally valid and sounds great, I really wonder why you chose fighter as a class. Fighters strike me as guys with a military background who learned to fight in heavy armor. They're about discipline.

Your character is not, however. He sounds more like a thug who learned his "craft" in backalleys and pub brawls. So the perfect class would probably be thug. There is no official source book including this class for 5e (yet), though. If that's an issue because the DM won't allow it, you you could've gone for barbarian as well. I suppose you can role-play one without a tribal background just fine. And you also can role-play the rage differently than usual. Your character would not have to scream or anythig (but maybe that would've made sense anyway). Wearing medium armor is what barbarians do anyway. Maybe he is using some drug to push himself to the limit or something.

Last edited by neltymind; May 3rd, 2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old May 4th, 2017, 01:29 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 130
Morogh Morogh
Quote:
Originally Posted by neltymind View Post
While your concept is totally valid and sounds great, I really wonder why you chose fighter as a class. Fighters strike me as guys with a military background who learned to fight in heavy armor. They're about discipline.

Your character is not, however. He sounds more like a thug who learned his "craft" in backalleys and pub brawls. So the perfect class would probably be thug. There is no official source book including this class for 5e (yet), though. If that's an issue because the DM won't allow it, you you could've gone for barbarian as well. I suppose you can role-play one without a tribal background just fine. And you also can role-play the rage differently than usual. Your character would not have to scream or anythig (but maybe that would've made sense anyway). Wearing medium armor is what barbarians do anyway. Maybe he is using some drug to push himself to the limit or something.
Thanks for the insights. It was years ago so my memory isn't too crisp on what options were available in D&D 3.5. I think I'd recall if something like "Thug" was available.

Not wishing insult on anyone, but this is rather why I never have enjoyed D&D. To create a character concept, but then have to take a rubber mallet and pound it to fit one of the preconceived molds/classes...irks me. Just give me guidelines and a pile of character points to spend and I'm a much happier gamer.
Old May 4th, 2017, 01:46 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
@Morogh: There is a Thug variant of Fighter in 3.5e. Took a bit of digging through the SRD, but it's in the Unearthed Arcana. UA for that edition isn't/wasn't what I considered a common book, so I can surely see that variant being missed. I'm thinking your DM should've just given you really great studded leather armor and magical cestus.

For 5e, should you wish to recreate your character, a Fighter with the Criminal Background, and maybe the Tavern Brawler feat, might be what you're after.
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:00 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morogh View Post
Thanks for the insights. It was years ago so my memory isn't too crisp on what options were available in D&D 3.5. I think I'd recall if something like "Thug" was available.

Not wishing insult on anyone, but this is rather why I never have enjoyed D&D. To create a character concept, but then have to take a rubber mallet and pound it to fit one of the preconceived molds/classes...irks me. Just give me guidelines and a pile of character points to spend and I'm a much happier gamer.
First thing, do note: the other player's opinion that a fighter is a guy "with a military background who learned to fight in heavy armor. They're about discipline." It's just that, an opinion. His.

The game says nothing about that.

A fighter is whatever you want him to be... a back alley brawler that fought his way out of the docks, a thin, wispy kid that learned to kick and punch to protect himself, an ex military tactician that found himself at the short end of a reduction, or .... the options are endless.

You can have a fighter in no armor, using a greatsword, because that's "his thing". You can have a fighter in plate male and wielding twin daggers, because that's "her thing". Heck, you can have a fighter that has decided to be pacifistic, and not harm others at all. It's all possible, with in DnD, and especially with 3.5/pathfinder.

Just because someone says "your idea of X doesn't match mine" doesn't mean yours is wrong. I think that's the beauty of DnD, and the complexity of 3.5/PF... there's almost nothing you can imagine/build that doesn't have a helpful template already prepared for you.

and if you don't like that template.... then don't use it.
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Space Lord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 272
neltymind neltymind neltymind
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkoth View Post
the other player's opinion that a fighter is a guy "with a military background who learned to fight in heavy armor. They're about discipline." It's just that, an opinion. His.
I agree. That's why I wrote "Fighters strike me" and not "Fighters are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkoth View Post
The game says nothing about that.
That's an opinion, not a fact. One could argue that mechanics and lore are two sides of a coin and influence each other. Mechanically, the fighter class is clearly optimized for wearing heavy armor. Not wearing it will only result in a worse AC and has no mechanical advantage. So you could assume that this class was indeed made for people who wear heavy armor only. And if you take this interpretation to heart, taking the class for a character who never wears heavy armor makes not much sense, especially if there are other options which were clearly made for wearing medium armor.

Last edited by neltymind; May 5th, 2017 at 10:26 AM.
Closed Thread