Notices

Closed Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 08:22 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 155
mpls mpls
I can't speak directly to the social anxiety issue; however, I do have a recommendation for writing a quick game: don't. I have found that using random tables makes the game move quickly, and you don't have to spend any time thinking. Instead you are free to just "do".

For example, get a list of 20 names. Those will be the names of the characters your party encounters. Roll in front of your players when they meet a new person and ask their name. Better yet, buy a copy of Maze Rats ($3). Use that and you'll be fine.
To go deeper, get a list of merchant guilds. When the players encounter a merchant wagon on the road, roll against those tables in front of your players. That's the new reality for your players. See how they respond. Have a list of 20 monsters on hand. Whenever the spend time on something in the wilderness, roll a d6. On a 1, roll against your monsters table to see which monster shows up.
They key I've found is to show your players that you are on some level trying to kill/stop them, but that you also are bound by whims of these random tables. I have found that this method works well to get a game going.

Last edited by mpls; Mar 2nd, 2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:55 AM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13591
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
That's a good idea! Thanks!