Jamesrankin
I totally agree with Gecko.
Old Sep 13th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 178
Vokub Vokub
I have once played an evil one-shot where my necromancer, Shalazar "The Silent", would only communicate via the Message cantrip. Not due to some biological defect, but by choice. The opportunity never presented itself in that session but I was planning to reveal he has quite a squeaky voice, a source of great embarrassment for our antihero! So, if you can imagine it, you can play it!
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 58
PhoenixFire
This is a cool topic! I've never even thought to explore this!

One of my friends is playing a blink monk (kind of toph from avatar) I think as long as you can get it to work with a background and the dm is cool, you will be okay

I think it also accounts to the creative juice put into it!

Good luck! I hope this either helped or encouraged

Last edited by zevonian; Oct 9th, 2018 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Merged posts
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
meirionydd
I started DMing at my school recently for a group of juniors (I'm an ELA teacher), and my most prolific contributor, in terms of play time and ideas, decided his first character would be mute. What started out as a neat character quirk quickly became a silly exercise in prefacing each statement or question the character made with with "I write down on a piece of parchment...". It's an interesting take but in practice if you're at all chatty or enjoy the give and take of party discussion, playing a mute character doesn't work as well as, say, playing stoic, or a foreign second-language speaker.
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 01:21 PM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
nateboussad
I played a permanently (from birth) blind character for a couple of years a long time ago in a 3.5 edition game. I was a fighter class.

The GM gave me +10 to listen rolls and the 'blind fight' feat for free, and allowed me to move at significantly reduced speed tapping a staff to find my way.

I was permanently flat-footed vs all ranged attacks, unable to do any ranged actions and automatically missed 25% of all melee attacks. This turned out to be cripplingly frustrating for me - I'd swing at the Big Bad Guy, roll a 20 on my d20 and a 1 on my d4 to determine a 'blind swing' - basically the attack would have crit if the character wasn't blind!

Listen rolls to determine where enemies were was never a problem with an elf's sense, the +10 bonus and all my skill points piled into it.

Eventually the GM found a reason for someone to give the character 5ft blind sight because the attack disadvantage was just too frustrating. So your instinct is correct, disadvantage on all rolls would be too much - such a character would probably not take up adventuring.

I think a fair compromise is having your player's character grant advantage for all ranged attacks aimed at them - they don't see that crossbow being raised at them - but letting him/her go toe to toe in melee without advantage / disadvantage being inflicted to either side - a built in blind-fighting feat. This also allows some interesting stuff to happen with spells like Fog Cloud, and also lets a player imagine their character trading blows like Daredevil, but equally being about as useful as Daredevil in a longer-ranged firefight.

Ultimately though, I don't understand how this could work with a bard's setup. They won't be able to see where their enemies are to land ranged spells or attacks, except possibly for big AOE spells, and being right up close in the action isn't a bard's forte. The possibility for collateral damage from AoE spells is very high. A Barbarian, Paladin or Fighter might make more sense for this form of blind warrior.

Spam links removed - Inem

Last edited by Inem; Jan 17th, 2019 at 04:00 AM.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 08:36 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
A DM could tell a player that if his character can figure out where a particular enemy is, he could waive the "a creature he can see" requirements for verbal based spells like Vicious Mockery.

"I hear the loud mouth guard nearby, I taunt him in regards to his off key voice and his lot in life."
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 01:31 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6165
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
I’m currently playing a Blind Inquisitor in a pathfinder game that just started. Took Blind Zeal as a background trait and the gm is being lenient on the penalties as I’ve lived with it for decades. Loving the challenge of describing my situations by feel, sound, and smell. Lot of introspection and inner dialogue where I’m sluething out what’s going on around me. The best part are the jokes. Lawful/Neutral Living Grimoire Inquisitor of the Magic Domain. Character is heavily focused on Law and Justice. The jokes are “Justice is Blind” and with my class and domain I literally “Throw the Book” at the guilty parties. Cannot wait till someone in my game figures it out.

Listen, I’m gonna be honest. BG3 has taken over my life, still updating as fast as I can.
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 07:53 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 82
Alysm
Here's a fun way to do it if you use this forum:

1. Go the route of a Deaf / Mute
2. Make a collaborative backstory with one of the other players. Maybe you lost your hearing / speech protecting them.
3. Establish that they know you well enough to draw the gist of what you mean to get across with your subtle non-verbal cues.
4. Communicate such things to them via secret text visible to only said character and the GM.
5. Enjoy as your accomplice paraphrases or plays editor to everything you express.

For bonus points have the rest of the group hide THEIR speech from YOU the same way.

Last edited by Alysm; Oct 7th, 2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 11:44 PM
❤️Love Yourself First❤️

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14135
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
Since this thread has been periodically necro'd for the last two years, I'll toss in my two cents.

I once played a Dragonfire Adept, whose primary attack is a breath weapon. This makes blindness largely irrelevant in combat, since all that matters is that you are aimed in the right direction. Combined with an Ever-Smoking Bottle, the character's strategy would be bringing everyone into his world of darkness, then beating them with experience and superior firepower.

Moral of the story: If you have a disadvantage, fight dirty.

Blind? Turn out the lights.

Deaf? Stay at long range where you wouldn't be able to hear the enemy anyway.

Mute? Live in Wild Shape. Don't give anyone a reason to talk to you and expect a response.

It's difficult to be different, so, in a world of magic, don't try to fit in.

~
"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Last edited by Gaijin; Oct 15th, 2019 at 11:48 PM.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 11:05 PM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4355
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Mute? Live in Wild Shape. Don't give anyone a reason to talk to you and expect a response.
This is literally all I want to do now.
Old Nov 6th, 2019, 11:28 AM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5149
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
We've got a mute enforcer in our little mafia game
He's a giant variant dragonborn barbarian that communicates in thieves' cant with the other gangsters
So far so cool, I as DM and all the players really appreciate the novelty and the subtle nuances of interacting with him
But for whatever reason, players tend to have their characters talk to him in sign as well, despite his hearing being perfectly fine
I am highly amused by this, as now all meeting with them look like Naruto battles, with everyone's hands making gestures all over the place

Last edited by Jim Faindel; Nov 6th, 2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 10:32 AM
⦓ Breathe The Dark ⦔

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4355
ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair ParzivalFair
How can he speak in Thieves' Cant if he's mute? Thieves' Cant is a spoken language.
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 12:07 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5149
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
You'd be right in most situations, but for years now I've homebrewed thieves cant in my game to be a sign language, meant specifically to communicate non-verbally while speaking openly in common in order to mislead onlookers

Been using it like that for so long, I kinda forgot that wasn't the actual text for it, lol

It works out pretty well for the mute character tho
Old Nov 7th, 2019, 12:25 PM
❤️Love Yourself First❤️

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14135
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
Thieves' Cant includes "signs and symbols" which naturally relates to sign language.

There may be no official Sign Language option in 5e, but it is a very reasonable addition. The only real trick would be teaching it to others, so that the party could communicate.

Assuming everyone else was just winging it and gesticulating, rolling insight with advantage in order to understand other party members makes sense, as long as no one was trying to use proper nouns or get into too much detail.

Last edited by Gaijin; Nov 7th, 2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old Nov 15th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4606
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin Dirk View Post
the last healthy form idea is interesting... is that your last healthy form ten seconds ago, ten minutes ago, ten days ago? How does the healing spell know how far back to go, to heal, and stop?
We actually had this discussion at my table not too long ago.

In the end, we agreed on player autonomy and healer intention. In the moment, such as a battle, a healer (or potion) is attempting to plug a wound (so to speak) and is not focused on incidental healing. As such, the intention of the spell is focused on plugging that wound, and that's where the effect occurs. If incidental healing does happen, it's because the spell was particularly strong--and the incidental healing is still limited. This permits player autonomy should their character have a reason for remaining disadvantaged in some way.

And, as others have said, it's sometimes FUN to play a character who is disadvantaged in some way. It changes character interactions, problem-solving methods, and often enhances some other aspect of the character. (In the case of the Knee Wound character, it was definitely his sharp tongue.) I'm all for going way deep into these issues, means the investment exists, but I think it's just polite to protect player autonomy when the situation is a bit grey.

Next session, our Knee Wound sat down on a barrel to rest for a second and found a secret entrance. Maybe that was the DM throwing a bone, but still...

As to the OP, we did have a rogue character once who was blind. To explain the mechanics would get too complicated, but it really did work. I've also played a character who chose to be mute for much of the campaign (it was part of a larger story); somehow, he never had an issue getting his point across.

If playing a deaf sorcerer sounds fun, do it!

Last edited by BinnFord; Nov 15th, 2019 at 07:44 AM.
Closed Thread