Notices

Closed Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Supervillain
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5711
EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist EvilMadScientist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kygies View Post
Um, this is gonna sound pretty weird, but how do you know which version is which? I don't remember the rulebook specifically mentioning it was 3.5 or 5e...
With the 3.5e rulebooks it's big on the cover. With 5e, yes, I also cannot find the version mentioned. So you probably have 5e. What's the release date mentioned in the first couple of pages? If it is 5e it should be 2014 or later.
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 725
Kygies Kygies Kygies Kygies Kygies Kygies Kygies
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMadScientist View Post
With the 3.5e rulebooks it's big on the cover. With 5e, yes, I also cannot find the version mentioned. So you probably have 5e. What's the release date mentioned in the first couple of pages? If it is 5e it should be 2014 or later.
Basic player rulebook ver. 0.3 copyright 2015
Looks like 5e

Read somewhere that the acrobatics and athletics abilities are new. Maybe that's an easy way.
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 06:55 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Clarus
I hoped this thread would point me towards a rule set that I might seek a solo intro game on this site. But I guess like many things, there as many options as responses. I suppose I will head towards 5e, and see how that goes.
Old Sep 25th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton
I just asked pretty much this same question in my introduction thread over on the New Member forum; based on the responses here I think I have my answer, which is this:

Start with 5e, since it's 'current' (and since I actually have access to the full PHB, so there's no cost to me). 5e is similar to 3.5e and Pathfinder (while 4e is rather a different animal), but 5e is somewhat 'simplified', making it perhaps a bit easier to understand going in. If I find that i want more complexity, then I might want to try 3.5e and/or Pathfinder...or maybe I should just try either or both of those in parallel so that I can compare.

And of course, probably far more important than the ruleset is the DM; a great DM is likely to provide an enjoyable game no matter which rules we're playing by...and the next game, using the same system byt run by poor DM, is going to suck just the same.
Old Dec 6th, 2015, 10:49 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Hawk
Look at 5e. FREE downloads for players and DM guides. Plenty there to get you started. I'm an old school dude and find 5e to be simple and fun. Absolutely try older edition's later but 5e is easy to learn. Cheers!
Old Feb 20th, 2016, 04:15 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Ironshadow
I started with 3e and skipped 4e. Now I'm learning 5e and found what I already knew to be helpful, but those are two very different approaches to D&D.
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 03:15 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
gingergalaxy
Coming from a beginners standpoint, I thought the 5e was easier to understand. I had never played D&D before and read through the book before trying to join a game. The game I joined ended up using 3.5e and I felt like a lost puppy. Although I was trying to use an online PDF of the phb and that was a huge pain trying to go back and forth between pages, so that might have had something to do with it. I would strongly recommend a hard copy of a phb that you decide to go with.
Old Mar 10th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
soulreclaimer soulreclaimer
5th edition gets a lot of hype out there. I will run a game in 5th I believe
Closed Thread