twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Bane of Life

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1945
Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper
3.5e Homebrew Classes & Prestige Classes

Just making a place for anyone to post classes & prestige classes that have been uploaded to the internet that they believe are balanced.

Looking for classes & prestige classes that would fit well in a campaign. Not something that outshines those from the WotC books.

As far as classes, I'm only comparing single class vs single class. Not the min/max god gamer taking 10 classes in 9 levels. But say 20th level "Class A" & 20th level "Class B" are roughly equal.

Please use a single post per class or PrC & give a description of the class & why you think it's balanced. I ask for this because my class, MageBlade, has been debated at first glance, but when the whole story is given & all the dots are connected, everyone so far has agreed that it is a balanced class.

Last edited by Dread Reaper; Mar 3rd, 2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 09:44 PM
Bane of Life

Tools
User Statistics
Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper Dread Reaper
This is a combination of Sorcerer & Fighter. A Frontline sorcerer basically.

At first glance most people think it's broken. 2 good saves. 9th level spells & full BAB.
This class gets the smallest amount of spells known & spells per day, maxing at 2 spells per day of each level. Then 4 of the class feats are powered by expending unused spell slots, thereby limiting the spellcasting even further. & then they can only learn spells from the wizard/sorcerer list that are personal, touch, cone, or line, or Evocation.

Roughly, the maximum use of the Blade Magic class feat by itself would use up all of your base spells per day, then there's Arcane Assault, Arcane Protection & Arcane Adaptation that are each powered by unused spells also.

They also get d8 hit dice & 4+ on skills. Which for how this class is made, I personally think is fair. Although I will admit that reducing skills to 2+ wouldn't be a bad thing, but as a caster, spellcraft & concentration are mandatory & having 2 more skills to help the melee side works out decently, in my opinion

MageBlade

Last edited by Dread Reaper; Mar 18th, 2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Bane of Life

Tools
User Statistics

Thus far I've had nobody tell me this is overpowered. Actually had some tell me to give it more power. But at the same time I want to keep it reasonable. Not trying to make a "god class" & I don't know what could reasonably be added in that would increase the power, fit the theme & remain legitimate.

Juggernaut

Last edited by Dread Reaper; May 29th, 2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old Jan 14th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Bane of Life

Tools
User Statistics
List of Homebrew Feats
Truth of Magic
A simple method for an Epic spellcaster to truly be Epic

Blooded Metamagic
Use your body to enhance your magic

Last edited by Dread Reaper; Jan 14th, 2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 02:57 PM
Bane of Life

Tools
User Statistics
The Healer

Last edited by Dread Reaper; Mar 3rd, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Hi hungry, I'm dad

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19933
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
Some notes:
  • You should probably spoiler any classes in this thread for the sake of scrolling
  • Healer should have a spells known table. A spontaneous caster with that kind of flexibility is rather powerful
  • Advanced learning should probably be removed or reconsidered. See above.
  • When using benediction, the negative levels should recover at one per 24 hours. With the current wording you could stop a PK daily, and that's pretty broken
  • Retributive healing should probably limit the level of the spell you are allowed to cast, again for balance
  • Healing hands doesn't list how her pool grows, so there's no indication of the amount of points the healer would have available
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 11:28 AM
Bane of Life

Tools
User Statistics
1. Done
2. Spells known for healer is at the bottom
3. Dread Necromancer & Warmage both get complete spells know AND Advanced Learning, also the advanced learning is limited to abjuration & healing spells
4. Agreed & updated
5. It has a limited number of uses per day & can only heal single target
6. Read again, class level x Charisma Modifier. Anytime you gain a level of healer, it increases, anytime you increase your cha mod, it increases.
Edit: Although for a while Benediction would prevent itself from being used. Party of 4, you restore 3, at level 20 that means you couldn't use the ability again until your level was actual 20

Last edited by Dread Reaper; Mar 26th, 2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
Hi hungry, I'm dad

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19933
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
For spells known, I was referring to something like this. Note the spells known table on the right side. The downside of spontaneous casting is that the caster has a limited number of spells in their repetoire. In this case, the healer knows all of the spells at every level of spell available to her. This provides the benefits of spontaneous casting without the downside of limited flexibility. That said, you are correct about Dread Necromancer and Warmage, of which I was not aware. That makes this a pretty powerful support class.

Also I totally missed that in the HH description. Whoops XD
Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 01:35 PM
Master Lurker

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 255
Genesis Genesis Genesis
Dread posted the spells per day list. That is all thats needed.
And the class isnt powerful just because its spontaneous and knows its whole spell list. Its magnitudes weaker than wizard, due to the manner of spells known.

Dread did everything right with his posting of the class write up.
Old Mar 7th, 2015, 08:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 691
Xbow Xbow Xbow Xbow Xbow Xbow
Invisible Blade

Last edited by Xbow; Mar 8th, 2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Bane of Life

Tools
User Statistics
Ki Warrior
Ki Warrior

Last edited by Dread Reaper; Sep 27th, 2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 691
Xbow Xbow Xbow Xbow Xbow Xbow
Woohoo, we got it up xD
Old Mar 25th, 2015, 06:03 PM
❤️Love Yourself First❤️

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14135
Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin Gaijin
Feedback for Invisible Blade, copied from alternative thread:

Giving a 14th level character access to a single 7th level spell effect isn't unreasonable, since the comparable level casters are going to have far more ammunition at their disposal.

The Ring of Spell Turning is a 98,000gp item. Giving the Invisible Blade the equivalent of 1 use per 3/4 Wisdom Bonus, rather than a flat 3 uses, might be reasonable. That would give low, mid, and high power campaigns a decided point of scaling.

Last edited by Gaijin; Mar 25th, 2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Immature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 919
Coprea Coprea Coprea Coprea Coprea Coprea Coprea Coprea
I can't help but notice that the Invisible Blade name is already taken by a WotC prestige class from the Complete Warrior book, that could be confusing.

edit: Well, I didn't know, sorry about it then, but I was just pointing it out because one could in Theory have Invisible Blade levels and then take a the PrC with the same name, and at that point it would really get weird.
I doesn't much matter thought, if you don't think it is a problem, then I am probably exaggerating it.

Last edited by Coprea; Apr 18th, 2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old Apr 9th, 2015, 10:21 PM
Bane of Life

Tools
User Statistics
Not the first time WotC doubled up on something. Incantatrix has 3.0 & 3.5 version & they are VERY different
Closed Thread