Closed Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 439
Jerioke Jerioke Jerioke Jerioke Jerioke
A recommendation for new players!

One of the things that I have heard quite often in my short time here, is that new players come and then disappear shortly after having started a solo game or normal game. They get bored, they have other real life stuff come up and forget about us.

There are a couple of factors that the staff try to make very clear from the beginning:
  • Play by post is extremely slow! It takes at least a week before your solo game will begin, even if you are the only player showing in the waiting list!
  • Play by post has a very slow pace!!! Some games are not updated for over a week! It is rare, but it happens!
  • And finally, play by post is not a fast moving medium! I am currently in a "Fast Paced Game" and I see one or two updates, at best, per day. I have gone an entire day without seeing an update in this fast paced game.

I would like to say that I am being sarcastic, but I am not.

This brings me to the biggest reason that I think anyone would forget that we exist and drop off the face of the proverbial planet: notification settings!

If you have just arrived here, PLEASE do the following:
  1. Click 'My Account' at the top of this window.
  2. Click 'Edit Options' to the left of your screen. It is located under 'Settings & Options'.
  3. Under 'Default Thread Subscription Mode', change it to something you are comfortable with. I use 'Instant Email Notification'.

Doing this, will ensure that any thread you post in will automatically let you know when anyone else has replied to the same post. It will help you stay active. It will remind you that we exist and that your character needs you to finish their story.

Don't make your character sad, invest in notifications now and save a story or two. You CAN make a difference. *insert sad puppy eyes here*

Last edited by Jerioke; Mar 24th, 2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old Apr 10th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Level 9 Labourer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 61
KorOrlin
Also, you can set up different folders for your subscriptions, so you can organize them a lot easier, and actually find the threads you want to find also, through the My account tab, it will show you if any of your subscribed threads have been up dated.
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 05:32 AM
jewel-ja? JOOL-ja!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 464
jlj jlj jlj jlj jlj
Great advice, Jerioke. Thanks! This should be part of a sticky post somewhere -- I've read so many over the last few weeks, I wouldn't have a clue where to suggest, mind! :-)
Old Apr 22nd, 2015, 06:58 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
coreythesquish
I'm very glad I came across this, I didn't know that notifications were not on by default. You saved me a week of disappointment.
Old Apr 25th, 2015, 01:15 AM
Littering and...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
Toefire Toefire
I will be sure to do this once I start playing. Thanks for the tip!
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
MasterOfTroller
Thanks for the tip!
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 03:10 PM
A Modern Day Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2427
TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer
This is fantastic advice. I would also like to add that you can disable the notifications for each individual thread on your "Subscriptions" page. If you are like me and get excited and post EVERYWHERE then you will quickly be overwhelmed by emails (especially if your phone gives you notifications at night). So for New member introductions, OOC Threads, stuff like thatthose threads you aren't chomping at the bit to reply to, disable email notifications. You can even delete the subscription entirely if you just wanted to throw in your two bits and never look at the thread again. Just make sure to check the box beside the thread you want to edit and then after choosing what you want to do with it on the drop down box press the "GO" Button. I hope this helps keep you from having a full email inbox in the next couple days
But I don't miss you like I miss Prince
Old Jun 7th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 439
Jerioke Jerioke Jerioke Jerioke Jerioke
Good advice, but since I still like to know when OOC stuff has been posted (as a DM) I usually change the notifications to daily or weekly.

You can do that the same way you would remove the subscription... ticking the box and then using the drop down menu below your subscriptions to chose Daily or Weekly notifications.
Old Jun 8th, 2015, 10:57 AM
A Modern Day Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2427
TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer TomSawyer
ATM I still check all my subscriptions at least once day and usually quite a bit more, so I just leave email notifications up on the ones that I want to know about ASAP. I may change some to give me a weekly notification when I actually plan on being away for a week at a time . This is all very good advice and I encourage everyone to set up their notifications accordingly
But I don't miss you like I miss Prince
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 83
Toric
I'd like to state another piece of advice that I wish I had been given when I first joined PBP games elsewhere:

As Jerioke has stated, play-by-post games are a long process in real life, with campaigns that can easily span real-life years. As such, real-life issues are bound to come up. Always always always notify your GM and fellow players if you will be absent in the near future. Players are not going to know you won't be able to interact with them unless you tell them, and games can stagnate as a result. And of course, if you will be unable to continue playing a game you should let your GM/players know as soon as possible.
(Edit: I have since discovered that this advice is already present in the Oath of Sangus thread.)

As for the main topic, I personally check my email far less often than I check subscriptions for threads I'm active in, but it's sound advice for folks who don't live in opposite-land.

Last edited by Toric; Jul 14th, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jul 14th, 2015, 11:43 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4663
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
Great advice. I stumbled upon the subscriptions and my account pages while clicking through the various links on the home page and have loved them ever since. The notification email is great with one caveat - if you don't check the referenced thread it won't send further notifications until after you have done so.

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.
Old Aug 4th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Watching siliently

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3123
Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga Xalnaga
News players, particularly new DMs looking at playing dungeons and dragons 5e (why would you play an other edition... Lol)
Check out 'nerdarchy' on you tube. They have heaps of videos on 5e that are brilliant. They help explain character classes and races + a whole heap of other cool stuff. Also they run a few online games that they post which are pretty cool.
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 03:05 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
murmurj
Great Tip! Thanks!

Really glad I read this...sometimes, I do have a patience issue!
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 104
Wyrmhyde Wyrmhyde
Great stuff to know! Thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Neinlives
Thanks for the info!
Closed Thread