twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2015, 05:33 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
World of Darkness character sheets

This is the thread for discussing the development of WoD sheets for this site.

If you're wanting to see such sheets here, please jump in with commentary, but please answer the following questions first:

1. Are you currently, or have you previously been, in a WoD game on site?

2. Would having at least a baseline sheet for WoD available make you more interested in running or playing a game on site?

3. What would you consider to be the bare minimum in terms of character aspects a sheet would have to display?
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 05:36 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
To answer my own questions:

1. I've previously been in a long running V:tM involved game on site.

2. Yes, as I think it would make things easier in terms of character access.

3. Mind you I'm more of an "Old World" than a "New World" player, but I think we'd need the basic attributes (Strength, Charisma, etc.) and Willpower dots listed. Abilities too, but I understand those may change within the subsytems.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Quote:
There would need to be two sheets: one for cWoD, one for nWoD. I say this because of the major Skill differences mostly, but beyond that you could easily create a generic and go from there.

My advice would be to create a basic Mortal sheet—Attributes, Skills, Merits, etc., and at the top a place for Concept, Chronicle, and then a generic enough section for Archetype/Vice and Virtue/Blood and Bond/etc. Basically, three or so places for those things that neutral enough not to be a game-breaker. Throughout it all, make sure there's place enough for circles instead of numbers.

Then, underneath that, a section dedicated specifically to Supernatural templates. If you wanted to make one per type of Supernatural, you'd need to set it up like D&D's optional Powers and Spells section. I do not advise this, and instead create a Generic Supernatural Template option, and have them fill in the blanks: Morality tracker, Clan/Auspice/Mage Thing, Weaknesses, Bonuses, a place for Blood Potency and what-have-you. Stuff like that.

It's not an organized set of thoughts, but mostly something like or better than these sheets.
Old Oct 17th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Man・Earth・Sky
Good People  

Event Judge  

Hall of Fame 2015  

Hall of Fame DM 2017  

Hall of Fame DM 2018

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 63652
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Yes, I'm running 2, planning 1, and planning on joining another.

2. Would having at least a baseline sheet for WoD available make you more interested in running or playing a game on site?
Yes

3. What would you consider to be the bare minimum in terms of character aspects a sheet would have to display?
Attributes, Skills, Health/Willpower/, Concept and all that mess at the top (or room for it), a Supernatural Template.
Old Oct 18th, 2015, 11:09 PM
Immortal Celtic Monk

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2089
Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor Connor
Quote:
I played in a V:tR game a while back, and after the release of 2e, am currently hoping to play in a w:tF 2e game here on this site.

Quote:
Yes, 100% I can't speak for anyone else, but if I see that a game is supported by this site, I tend to... respect (?) it more. At least I know that if it's supported (threat titles, character sheet, etc) I know that those who run the site are more confident in the game as a whole. At least that's my impression.

Quote:
Bare minimum? A sheet that details the most used "basic" attributes, merits, perhaps a casual section for powers (and cost), as well as the usual details such as health and willpower, etc.

I believe there was a "Mortal" bare-basic sheet presented back some time ago (early 2000's) by MrGone (The be-all-end-all of WoD sheet generation). I don't think he (or anyone else) currently supports that sheet, but he still have TONS of high caliber and "official" looking characters sheets on his website (Found here). Most seem to be off-shoots of the Mortal sheet (as they should be), but I have no idea how available the sheets open source would be.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 11:00 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1085
mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous mofous
Quote:
I am currently recruiting for a 2nd Edition Werewolf: the Forsaken game.

Quote:
It would, without a doubt, be very helpful. The absence of a sheet is by no means a deal breaker. But having one would make things easier and make me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside. WoD needs more love.

Quote:
Attributes/Skills/Merits/Health/Willpower as well as common information like Character Concept, Virtue/Vice(or edition equivalent). And then there would have to be Supernatural Templates.

Things are a bit mess now that there is cWoD, nWoD & nWoD 2e. But in the latter the changes are minimal and could probably be condensed into one sheet with some menu options.
Old Oct 19th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Warrior of Derpness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14751
GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti GeoAvanti
Quote:
Previously, yes.

Quote:
Absolutely. Having writable sheets hosted on the forum is a major boon to players and storytellers alike.

Quote:
Attributes, Skills, Willpower, Health Track, Character Concepts, and some kind of template to define what supernatural you are. There's so many critters in WoD that making a sheet for each one seems excessive, but making sure there's room for material for each of the big ones (Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, and maybe Hunter) is fairly important. I agree with what's been said previously, so far. But I like having the first page as a "mortal" WoD sheet, with the supernatural-specific material on a more generic template later.

Mages will probably need a notes section to keep track of all their Rotes.

That is how I feel.
Old Oct 24th, 2015, 01:17 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25815
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Quote:
I have not. I've seen some nWoD games pop up but oWoD doesn't get a whole lot of love. I'd personally love to make efforts to change that.

Quote:
Definitely. I've wanted to run a Hunter: the Reckoning chronicle here and one of the issues (other than time) has been needing to handcraft a sheet. Someone with more tech savvy than I could do a good job of making a fillable sheet of their own but having it on offer here shows support of the systems and would likely ramp up interest.

Quote:
My interest in primarily oWoD, and that sheet wouldn't be difficult to create. Name, Nature, Demeanor and Concept. The nine attributes and the majority of the skills are the same. A space or two each for Knowledges, Skills and Talents to fill in game specific ones would cover it. Willpower exists across the board and would need a permanent rating and a way to track temporary expenditures. A space for backgrounds, merits and flaws...could just be a single block of space to hand write that in.

The supes all have a power stat (some have 2) that function on a fluctuating scale. This gets a little tricky, as some of them are a single line of dots and others function like willpower in that they have two ratings, permanent and temporary. Fillable boxes, maybe? A space for the stat name and a permanent & temporary box kind of like HP and Current HP on the Pathfinder sheets? If we're looking at function over form, that would probably be easiest and would allow one sheet to be modified for all the games.

Last edited by PopCultureBard; Oct 24th, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old Oct 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks to everyone that's posted so far. And now a question for all of you that have played or at least checked out multiple OWoD systems.

If it is true that the systems all have the same base 9 Attributes (Strength, Dexterity, Stamina, etc.), would you want to see them all listed in the traditional order? Example: Appearance and Charisma would both be listed under Social Attributes.
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 11:03 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
As per TH's announcement, OWoD sheets are available via the character profiler.
Old Nov 1st, 2015, 01:30 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25815
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
So I set to work on a Hunter: the Reckoning character sheet to see how well it might fit into the current template. Solid work all around and it is pretty easy to slot things into places where they mostly make sense. I could definitely use this, and may well do so after the New Year, to run Hunter so I think most games can make the template work with some finessing.

For the willpower section, it might be nice to have the cursor default to the center of the line so we can type in our permanent rating there and use the dots for tracking temporary. I feel like the middle of the line might be more obvious than the left side justification it currently has. Could be more aesthetically pleasing for that to be true of the Humanity/Path section above it, but that might just be me.

A line at the top for clan/tribe/creed or other game-specific identifying group characteristic might be a nice add. I believe the common parlance of the day was 'splat'. I wouldn't mind seeing the sires/progenitor/etc line replaced with such a thing. For space consideration it could just be identified as clan/tribe/tradition to hit the Big 3 and other games could just default to using that line.

A nit-picky thing I came across is abilities, which is set to the default 10 spots in each section per V:tM. Hunter defaults to 12 core abilities and, like many games, has additional abilities in supplements. While one could simply not write in abilities they never intend to take, it would be nice to have 12 spots available in each to fit in the default skill set from the corebook. Other games with fewer abilities might benefit from being able to add a few supplement-based skills in those additional slots, too.

I'm psyched that this exists on the site now. I really hope it helps rally more WoD.

Last edited by PopCultureBard; Nov 1st, 2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:32 PM
in the damned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5062
Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned
I am late to the party, but my characters wound up taking a forum in post template I created and ran with it. So if anyone would prefer a more compact or in thread sheet you are welcome to Look to my signature.borrow it from my game.

PS: oWoD is the only choice. nWod is heresy.

Last edited by Legioned; Nov 2nd, 2015 at 10:35 PM.
Old Nov 2nd, 2015, 10:43 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for sharing that Legioned, but please keep in mind that as WoD sheets are now part of the character profiler, we're looking for feedback in regards to using the site sheets for character creation.

Is there anything on the new sites you like or dislike?
Old Nov 3rd, 2015, 03:05 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 35560
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
I just want to say:

From the coding side, TH made this happen. That's a *major* stumbling block for new sheets on the site. Thank him. Send him pizza. And flowers.

Thank zev, too, for pushing for this. He was key in making this happen.

If I missed any major contributors, please yell at me via pm.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 06:39 PM
in the damned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5062
Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned Legioned
I agree, thank you for doing that. And forgive my detracting from the thread intent.

As for being critical...I am hesitant to do that since someone worked so hard. However, if I were to say anything:
  • In my experience (and sometimes reliable memory) almost all the old World of Darkness games use the same statistic system. I can recall gypsy, mummy, werewolf, mage, demon, and vampire. So I would have those 'pre' filled in. These are:
    • Physical: Strength, Dexterity, Stamina
    • Social: Charisma, Manipulation, Appearance
    • Mental: Perception, Intelligence, Wits
  • I like everything about the skills.
  • I would leave the Advantages (Disciplines, Backgrounds, Virtues) as 5, 5, 3 (in terms of rows). Perhaps a hide/unhide function like the Pathfinder character sheet has for weapons? Keep in mind I know nothing of coding so this is all wish list material
    • For classic world of darkness you may want to change the world disciplines to something else. Supernatural powers? Just because so many other systems have something else in that slot
  • Merits and flaws are good.
  • Willpower usually caps at 10, even for elders.However, having dots above and below would allow tracking of temporary and permanent. Not sure if you can add the row below with 10. Another idea could be to make circular fill in boxes instead of squares.
  • Blood potency doesn't exist in all the systems. Actually not even all the systems have an equivalent. Maybe leave it as a blank field?
  • Same with blood pool. Also, I would leave it as blood pool / blood pool maximum, where both are fill in fields. Maybe below that have the per turn blood.
  • The hide/unhide section button that the pathfinder sheet uses for spells would be great here for the rest.

It is missing the health chart, a place for equipment, and an experience/freebie point spend tracker. I'm not sure I would even add those. It seems like this sheet is half way in between the 1 page summary, and this version - the 4 page elder sheet.

All of those aside, I do really like it. I may transfer my characters to it at some point - aside from the fact that I don't know how to track if they made changes to the sheet.