Notices

Closed Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Monster Man
I agree the fun is in the roleplaying, and that's why I tend to play them rather than regular ol' Humans. But I've played with DM's who decided that stonewalling that kind of character exploration was more fun than helping the character find their place in the world of heroes. Again, it's down to the DM working with the players.
And pow, I got illuminated.
Old Oct 9th, 2016, 05:21 PM
crookshanks

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP:
I Dunno

I understand the concerns over more exotic races, but find the "Usual" races limiting.

The goal is to have Fun, and while I Can play a human, elf, dwarf etc. I really prefer different races. (Indeed, one of the reasons I joined this forum was in hopes of finding a game that would allow me to play as a Minotaur, Centaur, Slime or some such.

Taking a class, like a Minotaur (My favorite) say, and turning it just a little... I once had a minotaur fighter/Mage who was a pacifist. He was great in battle but liked spells better... and he was quite fun to play. As for crowd reaction... Well, I admit it IS A little harder on the DM, but can be fun if played right.

So MANY games / DMs simply won't even consider more exotic beasts for their players. Kinda sad really.

Crookshanks.
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 11:14 AM
=^.^=

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 226
Artsol Artsol Artsol
In the first game I DM'd, I had a scenario where as one of the initial challenges was supposed to be team-building exercise of having the group pool resources to cross a chasm. This obstacle was easily defeated instead by one of the PCs who had wings and was able to carry other PCs across one by one. This was a failure on my part as DM to fully consider the party members capabilities, but when my challenge was brushed aside no one in the group got upset over the simple solution. I took the ribbing from the players, and made sure to better consider the full scope for future challenges.

The point of this ramble being, that unique races can change the scope of a game by adding in elements that "normal" races do not have to contend with or are able to offer. Instead of viewing these traits as game breakers, why not collaborate between DM and players to incorporate their differences so that the fantasy world offers more than our mundane one? Yes, this may mean role playing racial bias, but if that is an end all mentality of the culture how in the heck is that world not already tearing itself to pieces? And if everyone is human or some off color variant, why bother calling it fantasy?