Closed Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2016, 06:58 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
geasgtw
What makes a Solo Game Great?

Hi everyone. I'm in the midst of designing a gigantic dungeon crawler table-top game that not only allows up to 8 players but also allows it to be played solo. I'm interested in what makes a game played solo great for people - what annoys you, or what you'd like to see more of? Without a DM the dynamic of the game has to change to be a kind of randomized dungeon crawl - it's something I'm trying to evolve so seeking feedback from people that play a lot of solo games would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 07:22 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Thread moved to Gaming Advice.

-zev
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 07:25 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
As someone that has been in a lot of solo games on here, I would say that the majority of players I've ran for do like getting an objective and being able to complete it. So I would suggest that you make sure that each solo has some sort of doable task.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 08:35 PM
Artist & Warrior

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4663
roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt roninkelt
Clear objectives and bite sized chunks. Keep it to something that can be completed in 6 months or so (4-5 encounters). You can string these chunks together if the player wants more.

Every time I close the door on reality, it comes in through the windows.
Old Sep 13th, 2016, 08:42 PM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3173
MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing
Solo/adventures/threads have always been a way to explore characters as people and test their motivations and desires and put them to the test, whether I'm a DM or a player. As a DM, I enjoy personally crafting situations to offer solo PCs impossible situations. I like giving my players reasons to form an emotional connection with an NPC or a quest line and form multiple allegiences, and then put them in a position where they must choose between them. I like to make my players sweat.

I tend to favor the roleplay/storytelling aspect of gaming heavily over roll-play, though, so my opinion is perhaps skewed.
“This is the law. The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental.”
–John Steinbeck
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 12:45 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
geasgtw
Thank you very much for your comments. Can you give me any negative, do-not-do's for Solo play?
Old Sep 14th, 2016, 01:08 AM
Drama Delivered Daily

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3173
MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing MagicallyMusing
Don't stick too close to a script. You've got to be adaptable with a solo player because "majority rules" doesn't fly.
“This is the law. The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental.”
–John Steinbeck
Old Oct 10th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Monster Man
For me, specificity is key. Try to make sure that each post has something specific for the character to react to. I've been in numerous PbP situations elsewhere where the post I've been waiting for gave me absolutely nothing to react to.
And pow, I got illuminated.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 06:06 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Crazy Maze
I think solo games work best when there's a massive focus on character development. Since there's only one player, you can actually focus all your attention on developing that one character to its fullest potencial. This is very rewarding and entertaining at the same time. Done right, solo games can be hella fun. I've DMed quite a bit of them myself and I definitely recommend it to everyone that really wants to be involved in exploring every single aspect of a given character. Basically, don't focus too much on the world, but, rather, focus on what is happening to the character.
Old May 26th, 2019, 08:15 PM
Rancidly Strange

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 464
PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490 PHIL 490
I am actually looking to run a Solo Game, so this advice is great guys thanks.
Old Feb 2nd, 2020, 02:57 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Geal Ridire
I'm trying to get the solo game started but the whole being new to play by post is a small struggle. Any suggestions on a good mindset to be in for a solo game?
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 06:31 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
PeteMorgan
Hi! Also new here so I'd like to clarify: When "solo game" is used in this context, are you referring to one person playing on their own, or two persons (1 GM + 1 Player)?
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 01:41 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1112
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
In this context "solo game" means two people (1 GM and 1 Player), and, in most cases, references the actual New Player Solo Game this site hosts to get new people involved in playing by post.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 05:38 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Maze View Post
I think solo games work best when there's a massive focus on character development. Since there's only one player, you can actually focus all your attention on developing that one character to its fullest potencial. This is very rewarding and entertaining at the same time. Done right, solo games can be hella fun. I've DMed quite a bit of them myself and I definitely recommend it to everyone that really wants to be involved in exploring every single aspect of a given character. Basically, don't focus too much on the world, but, rather, focus on what is happening to the character.
Three year old thread necromancy. That's 13th level cleric at least.
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 05:39 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geal Ridire View Post
I'm trying to get the solo game started but the whole being new to play by post is a small struggle. Any suggestions on a good mindset to be in for a solo game?
You would be better starting a new thread, Geal Ridire, to get answers to this.