Closed Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
OrcTraitor
Easy system to begin with?

I am just wondering, is there an easy or easy-ish system to start off with if I have never really played before?
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 05:49 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
What are you looking to play?

If Dungeons and Dragons type fare, then 5e is a good way to go given current popularity and how the Players Handbook lays out character creation.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OrcTraitor
If you mean systems wise, no idea! I played Pathfinder and 3.5 back in the day, but I've been out of the loop for a looong while now.

I would really like to play a barbarian type, half orc/orc-ish.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 05:58 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Oh, we have those systems as well. Check out the Games Seeking Players area for what's currently recruiting.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 06:20 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OrcTraitor
Nice. Thanks
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 12:12 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6336
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Well, if you do want to try a new system, 4e is easy on the character creation and running, but getting books might be a little difficult and it is a fair bit different from 3.x editions. 5e has a full SRD to work with, but I did find it to be a bit in the uncanny valley of 3.x.
Old Nov 17th, 2018, 04:26 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OrcTraitor
I'll probably poke my toe into various systems working my way up. Maybe that way I'll see which I like better.
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12536
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Hey, I thought I'd share how I ended up getting into it all:
I started with D&D 3.5E, ended up playing D&D 5E afterwards and enjoyed it, however, I then ended up in a Shadowrun 5E game. I'd definitely suggest D&D 5E for its simplicity as a gateway to the wider systems as it helps get you familiar with the basic terminology and rules. I'm now running a Witcher TRPG game, looking into starting a campaign based on a simpler system such as Mutant Year Zero or City of Mists, though I'm not entirely sure yet, need to gauge interest.

I hope this helps out in some way.

Last edited by Marshmallow; Nov 20th, 2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 09:19 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
OrcTraitor
Thank you it does! It made me realize I can skip 4e and be just fine. I was kind of wondering whether to do 4 before 5.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 05:02 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2259
Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath Grimbreath
It's great that there are so many different RPG systems to choose from.
Old Nov 23rd, 2018, 05:08 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88157
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcTraitor View Post
Thank you it does! It made me realize I can skip 4e and be just fine. I was kind of wondering whether to do 4 before 5.
4th edition has as much to do with 5th edition as learning to ride a horse does to driving a car.
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 01:29 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkoth View Post
4th edition has as much to do with 5th edition as learning to ride a horse does to driving a car.
They both require Dexterity and Wisdom.
Old Dec 6th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Chicane dans ta cabane

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8808
Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra Astra
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcTraitor View Post
I think 5e is going to be a little more familiar to what you remember from 3.5/pathfinder. But 5e is much more forgiving of sub-optimal (i.e. not min-maxed multiclass cheese) builds. As long as you allocate your stats reasonably well and ask for advice when you need it, you are probably going to end up with a viable character.
Old Dec 13th, 2018, 10:36 PM
Wreathed in Flame

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4558
MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast MemoryBeast
5e was very clearly written with simplicity as a design goal. Particularly coming from 3.x, you’ll notice a LOT of places where the designers went out of their way to make the game easy to learn and quick to play. It will probably have some things about it that rankle as a result, but the overall effect is to make a game that’s much lighter on bean-counting and optimization, and much heavier on “screw it, just go play already.” Which is a plus for me, might or might not be for you.
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Gerry Attrick
I'm going to give you some different advice. I used to play D&D about 30 years ago and am now getting back into it.

I started out in Basic D&D and moved on into Advanced D&D 1st Edition. Recently I wanted to get back into it, and the only group I could find was running 5th Edition, so I jumped right in.

I find 5e needlessly complicated. It took me over an hour to just create a character. Plus all the different places where you can check for this and that and the other thing … didn't used to have that. After 4-5 sessions of playing, I still don't understand the mechanics of the system. I just role-play and let the others guide me.

AD&D 1e is definitely simpler and easier to learn - at least in my opinion. However the OD&D or BECMI system is much more simple than even 1e. Simple means easy to learn. Simple means it moves along more quickly. Simple means more role-playing and less mechanics. I don't know about you, but I'm here for the role-playing.

Did you know that, as of a week ago, more original D&D copies have been sold than any other edition? Closely followed by 1e, with 5e trailing in a poor third.

Do you know, you can still buy the original D&D and 1e AD&D books and modules? Most of them as PDF downloads but some of them as full books. Plus used ones are being sold on the internet all the time.

After some searching, I have found a local FtF OD&D group just forming, and I intend to be part of it.
Closed Thread