Notices

Closed Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2019, 12:49 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 139
Barrier Barrier
Also how easy a system is to learn for you does depend upon how much previous experience if any, you might have with other tabletop rpgs.The other potential problem is when looking for a game is any house rules that the campaign may have. For the most part, the more that the game deviates from the base system, the harder it will be to learn.

Just my 0.02!
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
TronTheAllmighty
5e or Fate if you can get them
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15934
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
If you want to learn Fate, which is awesome but not the world's most play by post friendly system, it has a free SRD so is easy to get. Also, many of the pdfs are pay what you want. If you want something fairly simple and in the D&D fantasy genre 5e is a good choice and very popular but the free SRD is kinda poor on choices. You really want the books for 5e. If you remember 3.5e/PF still you can play PF out of it's monstrously large and comprehensive SRD, it is not the world's best system for ease of learning but if you already know it you should be good to pick it back up.

Last edited by idilippy; Feb 5th, 2019 at 12:26 PM.
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 02:39 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 46712
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
@Gerry - what source do you have for those 1e vs. 5e sales numbers?
Old Feb 5th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15934
idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy idilippy
Back in 2016 Mike Mearls claimed 5e PHB sales had outpaced the lifetime PHB sales of 3e, 3.5e, and 4e but that there were only sketchy records for the sales of 1e and 2e PHBs so couldn't be sure it had outsold those. That was 3 years ago so unless some solid records have come out I'm gonna go with "thin air" for the source on those original D&D sales numbers.
Old Feb 11th, 2019, 02:49 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 78
nomadzophiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcTraitor View Post
I am just wondering, is there an easy or easy-ish system to start off with if I have never really played before?
Personally, Apocalypse World or and Powered By The Apocalypse games are a great place to start. Most of what you need to know about the system as a player is on your sheet or the Basic Moves sheet, so maybe four pages of material total. The books all have great procedures for how to run a game in their particular world. If you're a confident story teller or have taken a few improv classes, you can get up and running with them quick.
Old Feb 14th, 2019, 12:41 AM
Ontologically Delicious

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3405
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcTraitor View Post
I am just wondering, is there an easy or easy-ish system to start off with if I have never really played before?
IMO, if you've never played before, who you play with is going to be much more important than what you play. The simplest system in the world will still leave you pretty well lost if you're trying to go from zero to mastery. On the other hand, most of us grey-hairs started out with D&D - which was never, ever a simple system - but we worked on it together, and figured it out.

Find people who are patient with beginners, and a game setting that works for you, and the rest is details.

(clink)(clink) there's my two cents.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 10:15 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
McLugh
Also pretty new, and I have found 5e has been really straightforward. Plus with it being popular their are a lot of additional resources.
Old Mar 4th, 2019, 08:17 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 155
mpls mpls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Attrick View Post
AD&D 1e is definitely simpler and easier to learn - at least in my opinion.
I agree with Gerry's sentiment. If you would like an old-school, easy-to-learn DND experience, Basic Fantasy can get you started quickly. You can create characters very easily. The system uses the Open Game License (so it's free) and includes all sorts of add-on modules and adventures.

Last edited by mpls; Mar 4th, 2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:44 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
TheHarleen
I dont know if anyone already posted it here but I think Fate Accelarate is quite easy and really fun to play with
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 01:51 AM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12536
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Well if you haven't played anything based on the Powered By The Apocalypse system tends to be pretty simplistic and get you into the basic understandings of playing TTRPGs.

Last edited by Marshmallow; Jul 23rd, 2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 08:08 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 149
pdarling pdarling
This is all very helpful information! Thanks, previous posters
Old Oct 18th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Mercutio361
I would have to second Gerry Attrick's post. Simple in this case is a very relative term, but in my opinion, if the player section alone requires 400+ pages to cover, there's nothing 'simple' about it. Older editions are much lighter, less mechanics-oriented and so tend to play quicker...which is an advantage in itself considering that PbP gaming by nature is already a slow-moving process. Plus many many loyal retro clones of the older systems can be found for cheap, or even free WITHOUT pirating them
Old Nov 8th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Rusty Wordsmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4606
BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord BinnFord
I'm just here to add to the chorus: The jump from D&D 3.5e to 5e goes much better if you pretend 4e never happened.

That said, I did love AD&D and don't recall it being difficult to pick up. The original D&D was also an easy catch.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 02:47 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 290
Sir Swindle Sir Swindle Sir Swindle
D&D is not that easy of a system. It is easy to many of us because we have been doing it for so long. But be real the rules for a single class or how to cast a spell has more word count than the entire basic rules for something like Powered by the Apocalypse. Honestly 4th is actually the easiest to pick up of the D&D line because it is more game-like and everything you can do is laid out in an easy to digest and clear format.

FATE is simple if you already have a grasp on how to Role Play, so if you are coming from a theater or improv background. But if you are just coming to it blind I don't see it being that easy to wrap your head around.

Powered by the Apocalypse is probably the simplest overall system that is available at the moment. You don't have the whole "what the heck is an Aspect?" issue of FATE and the way rolls will resolve is very clear.
Closed Thread