RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Jan 26th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Sergal Psion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 516
KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose
[copypasta][tangent about a dead but fun game]I was in a game a while ago with a strange basic fact: The most common "race" on the planet was old experiments preserved(or just immortal), which wasn't the case until just recently in the history of the world, where humans were the only race, and they were building up their world.
All the players were experiments, each with their own strange talents, and most were very experimental ideas(one person made a new class for their character, I played a chaos mage with some martial art skill). But the key fact was that they were all not human, and each could do strange things.[/tangent about a dead but fun game]
Here's the new idea, focused around that dead gem's world concept, and with something everyone here can understand.

First, it's a GURPS game, so equip yourselves accordingly.

Think of the characters as Pokemon-style creatures, each with a element of sorts, and each with odd abilities. Maybe even two elements, with a mix of both types of abilities and thus traits.

Being bipedal is fully optional, and using tools is likely out of the cards anyway.(we're at a creature stage, and tools came around tribal stage)
But, other then those guidelines, go nuts with your ideas.

If it helps, think of it as a Supers game, both in terms of abilities to pick from(and suggested books to grab). Moral powers are out of the question, as are things involving technology(unless you can convince me otherwise, which might not be that hard if your idea is awesome), but other then that, assume everything is allowed, but I may wish to talk about what you'll be able to do.[/copypasta]

Two revisions: I figure the player's races are somewhere between Creature and Tribal on a Spore Evolution scale. Thus, the brainpower and what we can do with that(tactics, knowing how to prepare certain foods, arts and other such things which make life worth living), but tools are limited(because we don't have certain tool crafting techniques or even a need for some tools, such as weapons... and with the fact that you need to invest at least 50 points on your racial template, and that defects add to the total value you've invested in race, you may find that taking Horizontal is a good deal). Instead of tools, you have a slew of powers(hint: Get a copy of GURPS Powers for 4th ed, and read it). Now and then you may come across strange but accepted things which help you survive(much like equips in Pokemon), but they aren't very rare.

Second, there is no currency of note, so every type of buy/sell is barter system. So, while your shiny hard disks may not be worth much to everyone, a few berries and them may get you a piece of star stone, if you can convince the person with said star stone that said shiny disks would be worth trading for. Maybe turn them into some art or jewelery first.(shiny gold disks being gold coins, likely loot, and star stone being some artefact which helps you kick ass)

Thus, think of... Think of some unholy mix between Pokemon, Avatar(the movie with those blue catfolk, not the Anime with Bending)(setting background, not fauna, but maybe flora), Spore, and any and all elemental force wielding asskicking(including the Anime Avatar).

Tech level would be somewhere around 0-1(stone age, slightly higher), but warfare would be somewhere around TL 8-9 in terms of kill factor(shooting lightning out of your tail tends to hurt stuff a lot, as does spitting fire or acid, even more so when we don't have armor which can protect us).

Another thing to keep in mind is Elemental weaknesses. You should have at least one weakness, as well as one resistance. If you have no weakness, you get one for free(often one that is common enough that you'll want to pay that little bit extra to have a weakness and a resistance) And immunity is a tough deal, but if you are smart and pick no legs(aerial), for example(such as a bird of paradise would need), yeah, ground based attacks will do SFA on you, without needing a high price, or even a price other then paying for flight and enhanced fly speed. But a electric attack will screw you up unless you are also a electric power user.

I guess the idea for characters can be summed up as Pokemon, but with some culture of their own.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 08:33 PM
Lord Captain

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1815
BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila
Sorry, can't say I'm very interested. Sorry, but I think I may already be dropping from another game because it's GURPs, but beyond that I'm not particularly into anime based rpgs.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Sergal Psion

Tools
User Statistics
KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose KitsuneOfTheRose
Then don't think of it as Anime based. True, you have already formed your opinion about it, but still, think of it as a supers game where you aren't human.

...Though if you're dropping a GURPS game because it's GURPS...
(PS: What game was/is it?)
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Lord Captain

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1815
BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila BangBangTequila
May be dropping. I just can't wrap my head around why GURPs is a good system. I just don't really like the mechanics. Granted, I've been fighting the flu for a week (the three other people I've been living with all have it...) and so have been tired and headached, but still. If I get a forehead slapping jolt of comprehension I won't, but c'est la vie.

Oh, it's Warhammer: Risk and Glory by GrimDarkOtter
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Sergal Psion

Tools
User Statistics
Well, being sick is often bad for clarity of thought. Maybe wait until you're better before deciding?

I find GURPS to be a easy enough system to pick up, being only slightly tougher then BESM 2nd edition(which is damn easy most of the time, though I've never figured out skills, since we never used them).