RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Feedback & User Resources > Gaming Advice > DM Screen > Rules and Rulings
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 05:36 AM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3559
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
I am heavy weapons guy, and dis is my weapon. [Pathfinder]

It's me, Sirviantis, the master of madness has come to you with strange concept:

The concept is for a pathfinder game, by the way.

So, while looking through races I came across the tiefling's variant abilities. One of them (number 16) states:
Quote:
You have over-sized limbs, allowing you to use Large weapons without penalty.
Now, this coupled with the bit about weapon sizes states the following:
Quote:
A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder.
So, in my interpretation, I could use the variant ability to wield a greatsword sized for a large character in I'd assume two hands, and probably deal 3d6+STR damage with that.

But I'm master of madness, not just a petty dabbler, wielding a large greatsword in two hands isn't enough!

Now, seeing as we're planning on just going ham with large, paddle-like weapons, the class that comes to mind is the barbarian. So I looked about in there a bit, and boy did that not dissapoint! I found the Titan Mauler archetype.

At 2nd level they get Jotungrip, which
Quote:
At 2nd level, a titan mauler may choose to wield a two-handed melee weapon in one hand with a –2 penalty on attack rolls while doing so. The weapon must be appropriately sized for her, and it is treated as one-handed when determining the effect of Power Attack, Strength bonus to damage, and the like.
So, now my tiefling can wield his gigantic, DM-angryfying, thunder-stealing, meme-ific greatsword in 1 hand, and leave the other open to flip off whatever is soon to face the sharp edge of his sword (Albeit at a -2 penalty)

But, that's still not quite all, at 3rd level our summoner of falling sky-rocks gets massive weapon
Quote:
At 3rd level, a titan mauler becomes skilled in the use of massive weapons looted from her titanic foes.

She can use two-handed weapons meant for creatures one size category larger, but the penalty for doing so is increased by 4. However, the attack roll penalty for using weapons too large for her size is reduced by 1, and this reduction increases by 1 for every three levels beyond 3rd (to a minimum of 0).
So this increases the size of our allready large paddlesword to something that needs it's own bag of holding as a sheath. Another size increase means we can wield a greatsword sized for a huge creature in one hand. So, that's 4d6+STR damage per hit, and we have a hand free to twiddle our thumbs.

Now I bet you're wondering, is he finally satisfied?

No.

What would I do without my trusty old prestidigitation?

So, instead of doing that with traits, I think I'll take a level in magus.

This one level gives me acces to their spell list and Three awesome spells:

The first of these is Blade tutor's spirit Which allows some mitigation of the penalties on attack rolls I'm incurring via Massive weapon (and possibly spell combat)

The second spell you all saw coming a mile away, it's Enlarge Person. It's amazing, it's great, it enlarges our character, which means more strength (though another penalty to attack rolls, but that evens out since strength is included in attack rolls) and it makes our allready huge weapon turn gargantuan, which means even more damage dice. But at this point the table on the enlarge person page for weapon damage no longer follows, but I'd assume we now have 5d6+STR

Now, the question are as follows
- Am I correct in all my assumptions? It seems a bit wierd and overpowered.
- Should I do this with the vital strike tree for attacks that do 20d6 damage+STR or are there better paths to follow?
- Is there more I can do to mitigate the penalties on attack rolls?
- Is there a better weapon to do this with?
And ofcourse the most important question: Am I compensating for something? Yes and no. I planned to point out this build to the US president so he can show off that he too has big hands, big enough to deal wizard like damage but with a sword.

EDIT: I call shotgun to do this in outplay next year!

Last edited by Sirviantis; 07-19-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:56 PM
*woof*

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6193
jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven jj_wolven
The second size increase is where it becomes questionable. Normally, such things would not stack. BUT, because of the nature of the first increase (oversized arms and hands) it becomes possible. This would be a DM call, but could be argued that it is possible since the hands are large.

Blade tutor spirit specifies what penalties are mitigated (voluntary use of feats). As the massive weapon is not a voluntary (such as charge, power attack, or expertise), it would not apply. You can choose not to charge, power attack, or fight defensively but you cannot do anything to choose that penalty while wielding the weapon.
As always, a DM call, but that is how I see it.

Vital Strike is a questionable feat, generally only used when you need to overcome DR by force. You lose a lot of Str bonus damage using it.

-me
Old 07-20-2019, 04:47 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3559
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Actually, that's quite a good thing. I'd think a mostly cool DM would be willing to work with me to replace the stacking size increases if not allowing them. I can ignore the blade tutors spirit bit, Barbarian has a good BAB progress anyway, and I'd probably invest a lot into strength anyway to mitigate penalties. I could maybe combine that with two weapon fighting feats and/or rage powers.

Also, it not being a suuuuper OP concept is maybe a good idea, I think such a build would get some mean looks from DMs, so it being nerfed a bit would improve chances of being accepted. Add in a good backstory and we should stand a good chance.