Notices

Old 05-04-2019, 12:45 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Hall of Fame DM 2007

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8448
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Hi folks... this is a good conversation. I'm glad it has come up.

Though I will find it hard to say goodbye to our flight of young dragons and what is still basically a group of kids, I have no regrets. This has been at times a shining example of what PbP can be and how unique an format it can be.

I've felt everything you have brought up - your comments are thoughtful and insightful; Much of what I've come to expect from this group as both players and good people. I hope that I've been able to live up to your expectations as a GM and that you feel that this has been time well spent. I know I feel that way.

I promised myself that I'd keep up with this game and let it run as long as the players seemed to be getting something out of it. Of course as a GM, I've always wanted to see the pace pick up - there is so much story to tell but from the beginning I've wanted this to be your story (your dragon and your person) and to see where you ran with it.

As a side note, I have two other games, one on the site here and a OTB (RL) game that have spawned off this one. It's been fun to see ideas we've come up with together 'here' play out in other games fully realized - well, at least 'more' realized.

Summer is coming up, and as you know I do humanitarian projects that take me way. This year I am taking two - one to Asia (hush, its secret so I can't actually say where) and one back to south central India. The work I do has to do with Water, engineering and at times medical. It is an awesome way to impact lives in the real world so I hope you understand why "dark curtain" time rolls up every summer. Given the state of where we are and in deference to the great love I have for this story we've woven - I'm going to suggest that we call this game as coming to its conclusion. I don't see us coming back from a summer black out like we have other seasons with enough stable, contributing cast members to keep the story running on the return.

I want to thank you all - those that have been in the discussion so far and those that are yet to jump in - for all the hard work and brilliant moments. Yes, there have been grand pauses in the impetus at different times - but this has been the game that has kept me 'in the game' here for some time. I have you all to thank for that and for having me as your host.

- Savoy

Last edited by savoylen; 05-20-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16507
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Thanks for the thoughtful response Savy. I think this is probably the right choice.

I've been in this game since I was a 50-post noob. It's been with me pretty much my entire time on this site. It's done a ton to shape my approach to the PbP, and to role play more generally. I learned a lot, and enjoyed it immensely. It's sad to see it go, but I don't think it's healthy to drag it out.

Thanks again Savy for providing this world and giving us all the chance to build it together. Thanks to everyone else for the richest and most durable set of character interactions I've had in this site. I'll definitely be around for a while, and I hope to see you all in other games!

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 05-04-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21432
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Thanks for the memories. I'll miss it, because even though it was, at times, slow and frustrating, I really liked the characters and the story. Thanks for running it for so long, savoylen. And thanks for all the real world good work you do!

Last edited by Still_Pond; 05-04-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:27 PM
3.5 apples tall

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1599
ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf ultrasmurf
Thank you to everyone, and especially Savoylen, for all of your efforts over the last 3.5 years. I had a great time.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Dastardly Dolphin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7969
Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh Vallesh
Thanks you everyone for this amazing game. This has been a game where I've always wanted to put my best posts into, and maybe recently that caused me to lag more than I wanted. It was an honour to play with all of your for such a long time enjoying watching all our characters grow and prosper in this wonderful world Savy has created. This is the longest run for me on the site and D&D and will always be precious to me.

Savy you have taught me a lot about DMing and keeping us engage with this incredible story so I will thank you for that as well. I've "borrowed" a few ideas for a game I run.

I will let my imagination run wild as to the future and fate of the Flight!
Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Hall of Fame DM 2007

Tools
User Statistics
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Thanks folks... that means a lot to me!

Just some stuff you might want to know in very broad strokes!

* The scene where the kids seem to be in a foreign land cut off from their dragons... is just an illusion. Creatures (in the alcove to the north) have captured the characters minds and will be sending them on little quests to 'keep them busy'. Of course, they will notice in time as their dragons above start reconnecting with them mentally thus breaking the current suspension of reality.

* The site is actually an elaborate 'honey pot' for Argul the Ancient Black Dragon - who is VERY VERY VERY bad. You really don't want to meet him. Most folks can't actually find the entrance. He will show up about the time the dragons break through the mental barriers between them and their people. There is A LOT of treasure down there though.

* Selina the Witch of the North (no relation to the one in the Wizard of Oz) has been watching this flight of dragons ever since the establishment of your outpost. She is a bonded Witch to a Ruby Dragon (not a member of a flight as this is natural bond) who is opposed to Argul the Black. She comes to the rescue near the end of the battle with the dragon flight about the time the kids resurface with huge amounts of loot and an interesting Artifact which belongs to a thought dead line of humans called "Dragonheirs" that live in the Swordlands.

* Selina's new grand daughter is the Doturog Shatraug for which you have been looking.

* Her love interest was once Drakus (Dark Warlord) the interesting person that opened up this story who is bonded to Apolstile the Shadow Dragon. During the team's time with her, they learn more about what is really happening in Laerakond and more about natural dragon bonds and dragon flights.

* There is a lot more - I'm happy to answer questions if you have them.

Take care! and I'll miss you all.

- Savoy

Last edited by savoylen; 05-20-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8689
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
Nooooo~~~~ I'm not ready to let them go

I get it if you're ready to be done with the game, Sav, but I don't think it's dead. I think it just needed a kick in the pants - at least, that's what I was reading from the comments; "We've gotten complacent with this game and we need to step our commitment up a notch as players to get back on track" - I didn't see a single person saying that they wanted to quit the game.

I know that I'd be here after the summer blackout if there was any chance of the game still running, and I'm willing to bet most of the party would be too (we might lose our newbies, since I haven't seen them in a while, but I believe in our Flight ). Honestly going narrative for what we find in the crypt might clear the gunk out of the system from the last few months of erratic posting and players loosing their grip on the plot. Then we could start with a fresh new scene after the summer break, and get everyone back on the same narrative ground, and back to our old standards.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:43 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Hall of Fame DM 2007

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks buddy... I feel the same at on many levels.

Tell you what... let's call this a 'break' and if this group of core people want to crank it back up after the summer break (around August 15th). I'd be happy to keep on working with you all.

I'm not asking for any commitments now, just think about it. I am satisfied with what we have accomplished so far but I am also happy to continue on if there is enough interest in August.

Again to everyone... thank you the opportunity to be your guide and cheerleader in Descent. Regardless of what happens in the future, I'm thankful to have been a part of this experience.

- Savoy
Old 05-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Hall of Fame DM 2007

Tools
User Statistics
OK folks... signing off until the fall.

Nite nite, Descent - You've been a blast and I'll miss you!
Old 05-13-2019, 06:46 PM
Life
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10763
Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio Bio
For my part, I've actually been reluctant to even look at the game recently. You can tell when a game starts dying and ... it sucks to see. Perhaps a terrible analogy due the great differences in the gravity, but one might compare watching a friend dying of some horrible disease? So I've been contributing to the lag because I hate checking in to see it die.

... that and I hate making crappy posts. My last post was basically "I walk through a door," so those two things together, I haven't been a very good player of late.

A break and a bit of a reboot, I would think, would do some good!
Old 05-14-2019, 01:59 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon Ratpigeon
I've set my alarm for the 15th.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond Still_Pond
Dice Roll:
1d20 20

Old 05-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Insert User Title Here.

Tools
User Statistics
Does that above nat 20 post look suspicious in any way? It was a test to check a possible cheat method. Looks like it worked to me. I knew DMs could cheat in their own games, but I didn't think it worked in other people's games too.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:43 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People  

Hall of Fame DM 2007

Tools
User Statistics
@Bio
Totally understandable. I'll put you on my call list for the spring. I think you'd love what you see in this game when its really rolling along.

@Still_Pond
LOL... I thought you might be rolling to how you felt about a reboot in the fall It was looking good!!
Old 08-14-2019, 09:13 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack~~!