twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8
Bardo
I've tried it when I had a really cool concept that could only work as a female. I just couldn't get into it.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:09 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
FigurativeIcarus
I'm a girl and I've only ever played male characters, for whatever reason, within D&D and outside of it, such as creating characters in MMORPG's and such.
I think it's because I often draw my characters and I enjoy beards, burliness, and fighter characters with the build of a grizzly bear - and I don't think that translates well onto women, but then again, I have never seen a burly woman with a beard.

Another aspect might be that a lot of the girl outfits in older fantasy games just bugged me, especially when they were set in stone from the creators and so forth. I couldn't deal with the skimpy dress that was pretty much a staple. So I avoided it all together by just being a dude.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22689
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FigurativeIcarus View Post
I think it's because I often draw my characters and I enjoy beards, burliness, and fighter characters with the build of a grizzly bear - and I don't think that translates well onto women, but then again, I have never seen a burly woman with a beard.
Obviously, you aren't playing dwarves enough then.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:28 PM
... <3

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2443
Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange Ange
The girl-in-skimpy-clothes thing is a pretty hot issue, really (pun... kind of intended?). I've seen people argue black and blue that it's discriminatory, sexist, etc. But that's a can of worms I don't really intend to open, lol.

I've always roleplayed a mix of genders - you've got to, if you want to GM! Some characters just wind up being one gender or the other. My only problem is that often in face-to-face games, where the roleplaying is often much more loose and there's less immersion, people just forget that you're actually playing a guy. But I'd feel pretty rude if I corrected people every time they referred to my guy as "she" or "her"...
Old 10-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
FigurativeIcarus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeternis View Post
Obviously, you aren't playing dwarves enough then.
I guess not, haha.

I've played dwarf characters before, but never female ones.
Hmm...perhaps it's time for a change. Rowana Falsebeard, or something.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
Retro ROK
Okay, in a Star Wars Saga Edition campaign that I'm doing right now, (table-top) I am playing a Female, Duros, Scoundrel. I am level 2, have a +20 pilot check, a +14 mechanics check, and I generally am the Mechanic, Hacker, Pilot, and generally everything else but medic and spokesperson. My character was personally recruited by Darth Vader because of her phenomenal piloting skills, even though it was QUITE unusual for a non-human to be a part of the Empire. My character went A-WAL after her pilot training there she only went because of the classes. And, so my character is on the run from the empire, I land on Tatooine where I have no money, and no fuel. So I lay low in the cantina for a few days. Then the episode IV crew and the other PCs come in. My character wore very thick clothing to cover her breasts. We do the rest of episode 4, Chewbacca dies in the trash compactor due to our Jedi, Skyler's fault. Anyway at the end everyone was suspecting my character of something. And me, I believe that they're just meta-gaming. Which is something I never do, I hate it, and is why probably I won't play a female PC much at all. I haven't been hit on because Duros are friggin' ugly.

-ROK

Last edited by Retro ROK; 10-03-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:19 PM
The Grey Mage
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8405
Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw
You say "ugly", I say "inner beauty".

I'm surprised the Empire would recruit a woman fighter pilot. Maybe it's because all the Storm Troopers are clones of the same guy, but I never really thought of them as an "equal opportunity employer". Equal opportunity destroyer, maybe.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 34
Legomaster00156
I don't play female PC's, but don't doubt my roleplaying abilities in the other gender's boots. I can literally roleplay well enough that, when someone can't see me, they actually think I'm a girl. And it's hilarious.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:21 AM
...the hell?

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2189
Jocularity Jocularity Jocularity Jocularity Jocularity Jocularity Jocularity Jocularity Jocularity Jocularity Jocularity
I think its better when stuff like that happens. Not being mistaken for the wrong gender, but when there is no impression of the player to color the perception of the character.

Aeternis suggested that its easier to play a character that is like yourself, but i could debate that. You're right about that, really, but i find there are some dangers in making an Author Avatar. I once had a character that i tried to model off myself who was quite often picked on and generally got the bad end of the stick, and it was hard not to take it as a personal attack. Since i recognized this, i've always tried to make characters who were vastly different from myself. Especially in serious games where PCs are highly likely to have bad things happen to them, such as Curses, Deformity, torture, emotional or mental attacks, bad relationships, forced alignment change, etc.

Open for new intrepid adventurers to explore a dark an strange universe from the seat of a starfighter or with blaster in hand. Mercenary? Republic? Alien? Jedi? PM for detail.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Ancient Azure Anathema

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22689
Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis Aeternis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocularity View Post
Aeternis suggested that its easier to play a character that is like yourself, but i could debate that. You're right about that, really, but i find there are some dangers in making an Author Avatar. I once had a character that i tried to model off myself who was quite often picked on and generally got the bad end of the stick, and it was hard not to take it as a personal attack. Since i recognized this, i've always tried to make characters who were vastly different from myself. Especially in serious games where PCs are highly likely to have bad things happen to them, such as Curses, Deformity, torture, emotional or mental attacks, bad relationships, forced alignment change, etc.
It is exactly that trap that makes it easier - the trap of making your character do what you would do rather than what your someone else would do. I too prefer to avoid it, and have learned from experience the dangers of the Avatar character.

What I meant by saying it was easier was literally that - it takes less thought. Make a character too like oneself, though, and you fall into the trap. At the same time, you have to be able to get into your character's head, so usually making someone entirely alien to your own psyche is not productive. My rule of thumb is one matching thread - one single quirk or similarity. Everything else has to be different. That thread is enough that I can get into the character's head. And of course NPCs are exempt and can be whatever they need to be to fill their roles.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:20 PM
The Grey Mage
Former Staff

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8405
Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw Aosaw
RC can attest that my "common thread" tends to be that, regardless of gender, race, or even alignment, my characters always try to find nonviolent solutions to problems.

It makes my villains a little odd, but it works well most of the time.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9876
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeternis View Post
It is exactly that trap that makes it easier - the trap of making your character do what you would do rather than what your someone else would do. I too prefer to avoid it, and have learned from experience the dangers of the Avatar character.

What I meant by saying it was easier was literally that - it takes less thought. Make a character too like oneself, though, and you fall into the trap. At the same time, you have to be able to get into your character's head, so usually making someone entirely alien to your own psyche is not productive. My rule of thumb is one matching thread - one single quirk or similarity. Everything else has to be different. That thread is enough that I can get into the character's head. And of course NPCs are exempt and can be whatever they need to be to fill their roles.
I like this idea.
Trying to take the viewpoint or roll of another is actually a very good mental exercise, many sociologists and psychologists believe that it's one of the major steps in a child's development of cognition and morality. By having one similarity you give yourself a "point of reference" or anchor point, I figure this would help you keep the other aspects consistent and relatively reasonable.

When I'm picking traits or viewpoints for characters I like to ask myself why? How did this person acquire this trait? It helps me flesh out not only the individual attribute and consistently roleplay that attribute but helps when writing background or helping the DM come up with influential NPC's from your character's past too.

In terms of gender it's a little harder for me to find that common viewpoint to start from since even in our modern more "Egalitarian" culture there's a million little things that are involved in developing the personality of a gender that isn't yours that you really can't know about, same with different cultures actually. That's why people fall back on stereotypes when RP'ing different genders and Cultures, it's not just a couple of traits that are different.

I try to keep the # of characters that are wildly different than myself to one or two at a time so I can keep it consistent and try to avoid slipping into stilted stereotype. But I do try to play them, it's always good to expand your horizons.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; 10-06-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
WailingDeath
I tend to play male characters more, just as I'm already able to get into that mindset as a male myself. I'll very rarely make a female character, but that's usually just to help balance out the gender ratio in the party.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 PM
Space dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2062
Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer Kittenmancer
In video games I play a mix of genders, if I'm given that choice. If the game allows relationships with NPCs (like Bioware games), I usually go for the same-sex ones, regardless of my character's gender.

In tabletop I mostly play female characters, but try to experiment with personality traits rather different from my own. I've played a male character once in a homebrew WoD campaign that was quite fun and the other players had no trouble with it. I haven't tried playing LGBT characters in tabletop, but it would be something to try, especially a transgendered character.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22726
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatulaOdoom View Post
When I'm picking traits or viewpoints for characters I like to ask myself why? How did this person acquire this trait? It helps me flesh out not only the individual attribute and consistently roleplay that attribute but helps when writing background or helping the DM come up with influential NPC's from your character's past too.
I agree one hundred percent. The most iportant question for me during character creation is never: Who is this person?, but instead: why is this person who he is? Once you've settled that, I feel like the rest just clicks, and you get characters that make a whole lot of sense. Of course, I've started at both points, either with the background and building the personality that seems reasonable from this background, or with a personality and then creating a background I would feel would lead to that personality. But even going in that direction, I like to start with only a couple of traits I want my characters to have, build the background to match them and build the rest of the personality out of the background that would have caused it.

Now for this reason I also don't mind playing female characters, even though I'm male (I haven't done it a lot, but that is just part of not having played all to many characters total). Yeah they're different, but no matter whether male or female, your character is an individual, formed by his/her background. I don't have a problem roleplaying across the gender barrier, because I see female characters as individuals, and don't try to hit a specific mark or try to specifically make them female. If you're not actively trying to be male or female, then I don't see a big issue with stereotypes. Work from the background that formed your character and screw the gender barrier.