RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2685
TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic
Quote:
In fact, perhaps magical item creation can only occur with those reagents? It would fit with your Xenophobic world: If the only way to make a magical item is to use the remains of a supernatural creature it would lead to a lot less of those creatures near populated settlements...
You know, I like that idea... I give everyone eschew materials for free, but require that they procure the appropriate materials for the creation of magical items and rituals. Yes, that is what I am going to do.

Quote:
If I spend my time setting up/funding adventuring groups to get me reagents, can I get a bonus to the item I make? Either in the cost to create the item or perhaps some special effect?
Given the new rule, no bonus. But it will certainly be a lot easier to procure things this way, than to find them all yourself
Old 02-28-2013, 11:10 PM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6040
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
Require the materials for crafting? Perfect. Purpose is now given to my golem-building necromancer.

Of course, he already had purpose, what with trying to become a lich and all, but still.

Posting Status: Delayed, see here
Recruiting: Hell is for Heroes | Playing: Sky Cities of Magida, Tangled Web, Pirates of Drinax
Old 02-28-2013, 11:51 PM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10833
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Perhaps something like this?

+1 Flaming Sword:
Crafting Cost: 1000 + Sword.
REQUIRED:
Flaming - One appropriate Flame aligned item. EG: Phoenix Feather, Ash from a Fire Elemental etc
+1 - Any basic magical reagent.

Now if I manage to find and kill a fire elemental, and after making a Craft check I manage to obtain 600g worth of usable ashes. I also buy a vial of blood from a friendly gnome who lives in the woods nearby. Since the Elemental Ashes are worth 600g I then need to use 400g of other materials to enchant the blade. Plus the MW weapon itself of course.

Or if I were making a set of Dragonscale Armor almost all the 'cost' would be covered by the dragon scales themselves, the additional metals and enchantment is negligible beside those, so long as they are of high enough 'quality' (the dragon was old enough, and the scales are undamaged).

Generally I would say that half the 'cost' would need to be made up of special, appropriate, items.

Lastly: If you are giving everyone Eschew Materials for free you should give Sorcerers something to compensate.

Last edited by Moridain; 02-28-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic TheMystic
I have previously stipulated that everyone gets Eschew Materials and Scribe Scroll (which doubles as Ritual use) and that Wizards and Sorcerers will get a negotiable bonus feat to make up for it.

I'll also work on a more exact rule set for the item crafting.

Last edited by TheMystic; 03-01-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
As a side note, a +1 Flaming Sword has a base price of sword + 8000 gp, making the enchanting cost 4000 gp.

If we go by your suggestion, you would require 2000 gp of reagents, as well as 2000 gp of more easily accessible but magically catalyzing materials.

I also like this idea, because it means that ruining half your raw material on a severely failed check becomes more significant.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Sometimes, I eat cake

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6040
DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster DaMavster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMystic View Post
If we go by your suggestion, you would require 2000 gp of reagents, as well as 2000 gp of more easily accessible but magically catalyzing materials.

I also like this idea, because it means that ruining half your raw material on a severely failed check becomes more significant.
So, we'd have to check with you when we're considering our options regarding item creation to determine what reagents we needed for each recipe? I guess I'm okay with the idea, but I'm just worried it might slow things down/increase the load on you.

Posting Status: Delayed, see here
Recruiting: Hell is for Heroes | Playing: Sky Cities of Magida, Tangled Web, Pirates of Drinax
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain Moridain
Quote:
I have previously stipulated that everyone gets Eschew Materials and Scribe Scroll (which doubles as Ritual use) and that Wizards and Sorcerers will get a negotiable bonus feat to make up for it
Ahh, I missed that sorry. Sounds good to me.

The hard part for you will be deciding on the Gold value of the bits we find. Is the heart of a troll worth more or less than a bucket of goblin ears? Is a unicorns horn of equal value to the horn of a Belor?

Especially since the value of these items is pretty much only relevant to other mages. What is a town that has no mage going to do with three gallons of concentrated Brown Ooze Ichor?

Edit:
Ahh, I like your option. Still complicated for higher level spells, but not unmanagable.

Last edited by Moridain; 03-01-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
but I'm just worried it might slow things down/increase the load on you.
It worries me as well, and I don't think I'll go down that route.

I didn't intend to change the material components. I think the route I'll go is use of the original components, which you normally won't need due to eschew materials.

This means that you would need "Bat guano" and some Sulfur to use fireball for creating a flaming sword. Not too difficult to find, but you won't find it in shops anymore.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:30 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16
Ser Lumiere
This seems like a super cool idea. Crafting magic items oneself gives them way more value I think, and makes a given character seem way more powerful and mystical. As if it weren't enough that this guy is waving his hands around and blowing up half your army, or whatever, he's also got a sword that defies all natural laws. What a jerk! XD
Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15
TheSage
This game looks awesome, created an account just to apply and everything I'd like to throw my name into the hat if you're still looking for submissions.

Name: Quoice Goldweaver, owner and Ringmaster of Goldweaver's Traveling Circus of Myth, Dreams and Laughs
Race: Halfling
Class: Sorcerer

Alignment: Chaotic Good; Quoice hates the world that he lives in. Everyone is so isolated and fearful of one another. He lives to tear down the barriers between people and cares little for the laws he breaks to do it. He is here to see the people of the world smile and happy, not to scowl at him and his troupe as they move from town to town. He is here to serve a purpose and spread something more meaningful than fear and hatred.

Last edited by TheSage; 03-10-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
As if it weren't enough that this guy is waving his hands around and blowing up half your army, or whatever, he's also got a sword that defies all natural laws. What a jerk! XD
Even better to equip your personal guards with those swords, that would be a major advantage
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Massively Multitasking

Tools
User Statistics
In a super low magic world a well trained group of guards equipped with +5 everything would basically be gods. O.O
Old 03-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Announcement

As of the time of this posting I have updated the applications table on the first page. Please check that your app is on there, if not don't worry, you haven't been rejected, I just missed your post as I scrolled through all 10 pages. Please let me know and if possible send me a link to the post in question for convenience.

I have also begun listing House Rules in a thread HERE feel free to state your opinion on them or make balance suggestions. (I don't mind a little unbalanced for this game, but I don't want to throw everything out.) If a house ruling I have promised you isn't there, please let me know (and again preferably link me to the post) again I probably missed stuff trawling through the thread. Note I haven't made a final ruling on the item crafting or bonus feats just yet, which is why they aren't up there.

Last edited by TheMystic; 03-01-2013 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16
Ser Lumiere
+5 everything though? Probably take a couple years just the materials together for all that. Though imagine the magic item arms races between casters just trying to beef up their guys versus the other guys!
Old 03-01-2013, 02:42 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridain View Post
In a super low magic world a well trained group of guards equipped with +5 everything would basically be gods. O.O
Kinda the point if your are running a dictatorship. lets you keep that nice 0% Approval rating

Last edited by TheMystic; 03-01-2013 at 02:43 AM.