Other [Champions 6e] 9 11 Teen Supers - Page 42 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-12-2020, 05:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 69
Panpiper
Here's an updated HDC file, and a PDF for anyone who is inclined with the new int recorded. Obviously it assumes an advance of 3XP. There were a few small modifications made to background.
Attached Files
File Type: zip IshtarHDC.zip (217.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf Ishtar Ninurte.pdf (315.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-12-2020, 05:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2882
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpiper View Post
Here's an updated HDC file, and a PDF for anyone who is inclined with the new int recorded. Obviously it assumes an advance of 3XP. There were a few small modifications made to background.
Great! Uploaded as my official copy (I did remove the 3 XP, so I remember to apply the next 3 earned XP).
Old 05-15-2020, 09:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Panpiper
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroFan View Post
That's a great suggestion for experience spending! The Barrier power is a stand alone.

There's limitations that could be bought off with experience too.
I was further thinking about gravity powers, and it occurred to me that I had overlooked the power that was simultaneously the most thematic, the simplest to implement, the most direct to use, and likely the most effective, all at the same time. If Yori/Cindy can affect gravity fields, she should be able to simply point to a bad guys chest and make it weigh 50 tons, going thataway. The way I would define that as a power might be 10d6 blast, double knockback, reduced endurance.

That would be 87 active points, just below campaign limit. No idea of course if Cindy's multipower could hold that. If her multipower cannot contain close to that, or you are worried about double knockback because it's a stop sign modifier, just make it a regular blast as big as her multipower can contain. I don't think it breaks special effect or conception at all.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:26 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2882
HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan HeroFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panpiper View Post
I was further thinking about gravity powers, and it occurred to me that I had overlooked the power that was simultaneously the most thematic, the simplest to implement, the most direct to use, and likely the most effective, all at the same time. If Yori/Cindy can affect gravity fields, she should be able to simply point to a bad guys chest and make it weigh 50 tons, going thataway. The way I would define that as a power might be 10d6 blast, double knockback, reduced endurance.

That would be 87 active points, just below campaign limit. No idea of course if Cindy's multipower could hold that. If her multipower cannot contain close to that, or you are worried about double knockback because it's a stop sign modifier, just make it a regular blast as big as her multipower can contain. I don't think it breaks special effect or conception at all.
Interesting! In this game, I'm limiting multipowers to slots that have variations on a single power, hers being telekinesis; the power you describe might be built with an area effect TK"only to pull down"...?
Old 05-15-2020, 12:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Panpiper
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroFan View Post
Interesting! In this game, I'm limiting multipowers to slots that have variations on a single power, hers being telekinesis; the power you describe might be built with an area effect TK"only to pull down"...?
Sure, call it "Slam", straight pull down to the ground hard enough with enough gravity to hurt. You could make it area effect or not, or both with two slots, one spreading the gravity effect, the other concentrated on one target.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:56 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45
Yori
For now, she can use the brute force TK to slam people around or throw rocks at them. With 30 STR, it does 6DCs of damage. That could mess up someone's day.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Panpiper
6d6 will really mess up a janitor, or a school teacher. It might stun a riot cop. An MMA fighter would feel it as a good hit. An ape would recognize it as an attack and get angry, not because it hurt though. Against anything tougher, 6d6 is virtually ineffectual. If a 30 strength is all you've got, you'll probably want to use it for tossing low strength opponents into environmental hazards or something, if they are around. Are you able to project something defensive on other characters? Being a buffer in that regard can also be enormously helpful.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 166
Espatier Espatier
Herofan

@herofan, can we upload .hdc file here?
Old 05-18-2020, 08:25 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Panpiper
I would love to be able to look over other people's characters .hdc files myself so as to make individual suggestions as to how to grow a more combat effective power. I'm not sure how Herofan would feel about that though as he seems to like to keep players with more 'fog of war' with regard to stuff the characters would not know.

General advice though for any character. The 'standard starting' super hero in Hero System typically starts with 400 points to spend. We are not playing the standard level of power however, we are 300 point 'teen' supers, youngsters who have just discovered incipient power. In standard games with 400 point supers, a 12d6 attack is considered a normal, effective level of attack for a super. 10d6 is weak but sufficient if combined with other abilities like a particularly high OCV/DCV. 8D6 is anemic at best.

With 300 point supers, it would be reasonable to assume that we could drop a couple of dice from these thresholds of effectiveness, so a 10d6 would be effective, an 8d6 weak but useful in combination with other things, and 6d6 anemic. There are other factors of course that can change this up. If your character does energy damage as opposed to physical damage, your attack will be slightly more powerful, as energy defenses are usually a bit lower than physical defenses. If your attack is ranged it will be more useful simply because you'll have more choice of targets and can often pick a target that is more vulnerable. Finally there are attack powers that target defenses most characters are either weak in or simply do not possess at all, like mind attacks, gas attacks, etc.. Those kinds of attacks can be quite powerful, even if they only do 6d6.

In a fight, what you are hoping for is to 'stun' an opponent, this means you do enough damage to them that the stun damage that gets through their defenses exceeds that of their constitution stat. If this happens, their DCV drops and they loose their next action to recover from their stun. This makes any attack that happens before they recover much easier to hit, and usually teammates are able to bring down a stunned enemy before they recover, if they take advantage of the opportunity (always take advantage of such an opportunity).

Bringing down an opponent usually means doing enough stun damage to them that they go into a negative stun number that exceeds their recovery stat. If you bring them to a negative stun that does 'not' exceed their recovery, you'll technically score a knockout, but they will get up a couple phases later after getting a recovery. So if they go down, hit them again, "just to be sure".

The effective levels of damage are not usually sufficient to stun your typical opponent with an average shot. Stunning an opponent usually requires really good dice rolls, hitting an opponent with something they are particularly vulnerable to, or other factors to add to the damage done. Teamwork can greatly assist with this, with two (or more) characters coordinating their attacks to land simultaneously so that the stun that gets through the defenses add together for the purposes of determining stun. This usually requires all participating characters to actually possess the teamwork skill however (highly recommended to buy with experience).
Old 05-21-2020, 04:57 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 45
Yori
Yeah. Cindy's not used to thinking of taking on nasty stuff with her powers. The most aggressive thing she's done with them is guided snowballs or chasing off stray dogs. She'll need to figure out something that might make a difference when she needs to. Hence her power skill.

We'll see what winds up happening.