RPXP: 24654
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Pirate King's Legacy

Pirate King's Legacy

"You can't take the sky sea from me"

~ Synopsis ~

Game Name: Pirate King's Legacy
System: FATE Core
Deadline for Application: Applications are closed! (Deadline was Monday 25th, 8 am in UTC+2).
Expected Post Rate: This is a little tricky. The goal is one quality post per week, but FATE does require a good bit of back and forth between players and GM in places. This means that while actually posting in game once per week is the goal, you can't go and forget about the game completely in the meantime as you might be able to for other games with a weekly posting rate. You'll need to plan in some more time for OoC discussions with me in between then. This should still be far from the work of making a second in game post per week, but (barring exceptions, because of course life happens) you frequently won't be able to wait until right before you were going to post to actually read my last post, because you might well want to bargain over FATE points with me, and that will take some time. This back and forth between us can be done in a variety of media, depending on what you're My personal preference will probably be using RPGX's unofficial discord because I expect that will be the most efficient, but anyone who prefers doing it in PMs or the OoC thread will be free to do so.comfortable with. To help give you an idea, an I will be using some FATE rules terminology (e.g. Trouble, Compel) in this example, but don't worry if you don't understand it yet. It's not important to getting the picture here example of this back and forth might look something along these lines: In game, your character has just arrived at a bar where he is supposed to meet a man. My post describes the place as usual for a PbP post, but ends with an OoC note reminding you that your character has the Trouble "Can't stop himself from flirting". I tell you I am compelling this trouble, and ask you how this could make your life more difficult in the current situation. Before you make your next in game post, you give this some thought and shoot me a message suggesting that your character flirts with a young lady who is accompanied by her fiance, who does not appreciate your character's behavior. I send you a message back saying I like that idea, and let you know that the guy is going to start trying to convince the people around you that you're a no good pirate and that you should be thrown out of the establishment, which will initiate a social conflict. I also let you know you can go ahead and make your post now, using the information I gave you, and receiving the FATE point I pay you for the compel. And that's it already, one short message from each of us back and forth before you can actually make your next game post. Maybe it'll be two sometimes, because you still have a question about how exactly the guy is trying to convince the people you are a pirate, so you ask me and I answer. I hope this makes it clear that we aren't talking a huge extra effort here, but this back and forth does need to happen sometimes, and if you wait until 5 days after I post to even read the game thread again, and it takes us another 3 days to go back and forth and settle the details, then all of a sudden it's going to be more of a "I post one week, you post the next week" rate rather than all of us posting weekly. At the same time, this example also hopefully highlights some of the player agency you get in the game, with you actually getting to help shape the story by suggesting how your Trouble might complicate your life.
Theme: Island-hopping pirate-shenanigans to the end of the world
Flavor: You are pirates in a world where that makes you outlaws, but not the bad guys. The marines and the world government appear to be, in places, misguided or oppressive. But you are pirates, sailing the seas. No one takes your freedom! Strong themes of freedom, friendship, loyalty. Think One Piece minus the super powers, or Firefly if it were set on islands and ocean rather than planets and space. Good mixture of roleplay and rollplay, with conflicts that are physical, mental, social and possibly even financial in nature. Lots of player input into world-building and storytelling in the FATE typical manner.

~ Plot Summary ~

Immediately prior to his execution, Everett 'The Kraken' Risher, King of Pirates, announced to the crowd who had come to observe the spectacle, that he had reached the end of the Maelstrom, and hidden his most valuable treasure on the legendary Island at the End of the World. Whoever were to find it would be his legitimate successor as King of Pirates. The PCs are the lieutenants of one of many pirate crews formed in the wake of this news spreading, who have set out on the perilous journey to find Risher's treasure at the end of the Maelstrom (though they are several years too late to be part of the 'first wave' which started right after Risher's execution). In order to do so, they need to sail from island to island as their vortex-compass leads them along the journey, step by step. At each stop, they will be confronted with different problems to be dealt with, ranging from other pirates making life hell for townsfolk all the way to countries on the brink of civil war. To say nothing of the problems they will face on the ocean, in between stops. On this journey, their freedom, loyalty and friendship will be put to the test frequently. At the same time, they will have the opportunity to find incredible treasures and legendary artifacts, become increasingly (in)famous, shape the world and its destiny and forge ever stronger bands between each other.

~ World Information ~

~ Application Info ~

I expect the following information in your application. While I offer the format below as a suggestion, it is by no means compulsory and if you prefer to arrange things in another manner that is also fine. I do, however, strongly encourage the use of fieldsets and/or spoilerbuttons to keep the application thread from becoming too cluttered. Before we get to the actual application in the typical sense, there are two questions for you to answer because I want to know, but your answers won't actually influence anything in terms of your chances of being chosen.

Experience with FATE: How much previous experience do you have with FATE. Newbies completely welcome (see the Primer to FATE down at the bottom), I just want to know what I'm working with. So don't exaggerate your experience here, it will not make me more likely to pick you, just less likely to know I have to explain certain things to you.
Captaincy Question: This is something I've given a lot of thought to. Originally, I was going to just have one of the PCs be the ship's captain, but have them be more like the de facto party leader who only is responsible for making the decisions when there isn't enough time for the group to discuss/vote. However, I have since decided against it, because the reality of PbP is that it has to account for real life. Which means, no matter who I pick, there is a chance they suddenly have to drop the game and then I am left with either taking control of them or having no more captain. So that leaves me with two feasible possibilities that I've come up with: One is to just run the captain as an NPC myself, from the beginning, allowing me to design them to be more of a passive and delegating personality. The big downside of this is that it feels like I'm making the game about myself rather than you guys, or I have to repeatedly find reasons why the captain is never/rarely around for important encounters. Which brings me to option number two: You guys had a captain, a man with a big dream of becoming the next king of pirates, who brought all (or most) of you together for his crew. However, as is the harsh reality of the world you all live in, he died without ever having come close to achieving his goal. All PCs would be lieutenants and equally in command (as in scenario 1, except now they don't have a captain giving orders and just have to organize themselves), and are going on this epic adventure both in chase of their own goals but also to honor their captain's legacy. In this case, part of the story would be figuring out what your communal goal is (maybe you all want to become the next king together, or you figure it's not worth figuring out yet since half of you will be dead by the time you actually reach the island at the end of the world). I could even see a scenario where, if the whole group can agree on it, one of you eventually rises generically to be the captain, because if it happens in game, it will be established enough that the group has a reason for being on this journey even if the captain were to vanish from the game. So there you are, two solutions, both of which I think have some pros and some cons. But let me know whether you have any preference between me playing an NPC who wants to be king of pirates, or the captain being dead and replaced by all PC lieutenants equally. Or another solution you might have. To make this VERY CLEAR: There are no right or wrong answers here. Nothing you put here will hurt or improve your chances to get into this game. This simply goes back to FATE as a collaborative storytelling effort. If I end up seeing that my favorite applications all are people who put down they'd prefer an NPC captain to a dead captain, for instance, then we'll certainly go that route.

And now on to the actual application, upon which I will be basing my choice of players:

Name: Obvious I hope...
Age: Let's call it a If for some reason you have a concept that requires you to be younger than this, you may pleade your case to me, but be warned that my initial opinion will be very reservedminimum of 18 (and even then Which is not to say you can't do this, I'll just need a good storyyou'd better tell me how you've managed to be made lieutenant on a pirate ship at that young age)
High Concept: If you are familiar with FATE, then you understand this. If you are not, there will be a brief primer to 'Aspects' in FATE farther below, but in essence this should describe your character concept. Examples would include such things as "Mysterious Lady with a Sword", "Reluctant Ship Engineer", etc. Optional: Feel free to include some explanation (roughly max. 1 paragraph) if you think that makes your High Concept clearer.
Trouble: Again, if you are familiar with FATE, then this is clear. If you are not, see below for more details, but in essence, this is the answer to "what complicates your characters existence?" Unless it is really straightforward, some explanation (roughly 1-2 paragraphs) to clarify your trouble probably makes sense.
Role on ship: This might well be covered by your high concept, in which case you just restate it here. But if it's not in the concept, tell me what role your character fills on the ship. Examples include things such as 'Gunner', 'Cook', 'Navigator' or 'Engineer'.
Skills: No need to build any sort of character sheet at this point yet, but to give me a better idea of your character, tell me consult the list of skills belowthe three skills you envision your character being best at. This won't be set into stone 100%, but it also shouldn't change entirely later on.
Appearance: What does your character look like. Pictures can be added if you wish, but are not enough on their own and do not replace your words.
Personality: Give me some idea of what I can expect your character to act like. Doesn't need to be in tons of detail, as I understand that this is also something that develops during the game. But the big question that MUST be answered is: What motivates/drives him or her? Signing on with this captain and heading into the Maelstrom, you have essentially just committed yourself to a multi-year long adventure that will eventually take you to the other end of the world and make you an infamous outlaw... if all goes well. If all does not go well, you will be arrested and potentially executed by the Marines. If all goes even worse, you will instead definitely be killed by any number of rival pirates or sea creatures along the way. So why in the world did you sign up for this? Not everyone here is going to be in it because they want to be the next King of Pirates (in fact, given that none of you are the captain, most of you won't) or they want that legendary treasure (which can of course be an absolutely valid goal for some of you). Other worthy goals would include things like becoming the greatest marksman ever, solving some ancient mystery related to a place along the Maelstrom, hunting down the legendary sea beasts of 'The Calm', drawing a map of the world, dedicating your life to your captain (either to see him be King of Pirates if he is alive or to see his dream fulfilled if he is dead), simply the pursuit of freedom and adventure, or anything else you can come up with. Just let me know what it is (and why that requires you to go to the end of the world).
Isle of Origin: Where is your character from, originally? Several things to keep in mind for this section: First off, the game will start in 'Serenity' (portion A of the map), so most likely you are from somewhere there. I won't explicitly ban character concepts originally from the Maelstrom, but you will need to be from a part close to region A and need a damn good story as to how you got to 'Serenity' (keep in mind that this requires travel against the Maelstrom travel direction, which is even trickier than travel along the Maelstrom. However, if you have a good idea for this that you believe you can pull off with a little bit of feedback from my side, absolutely feel free to run with it! Secondly, the world consists of a ton of island nations. They are purposefully ill-defined by me, so you can enjoy as much freedom as you want in designing them yourselves. Only rule is they can't be too huge (most islands in Serenity can hold a few cities at most, many are smaller), but whether you're from a multi-city kingdom, or there's only a single village on your entire island, is up to you. Make sure to let me know what stands out about your isle of origin compared to other islands. If your character has spent i.e. long enough that the time influenced them/is relevantsignificant portions of his life in several places, then tell me about all of them. Due to the nature of the game, most of these places will likely never appear on-screen anyway, so do with them what you want. This does not, of course, preclude occasional people you meet along the Maelstrom having heard of or even being from some of those places.
Background:This is the big one. Tell me a little something about your characters life before they became a pirate of the current PC crew. This can include why they became a pirate, but does not need to. FATE character creation is interwoven with that of other players when it comes to backstory and everyone knowing each other, so the recent past where everyone met up and formed this crew will be a collaborative effort after players are chosen. I won't set a limit here for how much or how little this should be, but use common sense. Two lines are probably not enough to convince me your character is interesting, but I can't be reading a huge novel for every single application either or I'll go insane...
Roleplay sample: This is to give me an idea of how you envision playing this character. Choose one event from your character's past that you feel is significant and write up a roleplay sample for me.

~ A primer to FATE ~

FATE core is a Obviously definitions vary for what constitutes a rules-light system. I consider FATE to be on the heavy end of rules-light, though some people would consider it on the light end of rules-mediumrules-light system that emphasizes two things: Not letting the system stand in the way of the story, and involving the players in telling the story together with the GM. If you are unfamiliar with FATE you are still very welcome to join this game. I've personally been following the FATE rules Since the Dresden Files RPG, for those familiar with thatfor a long time, finding myself intrigued by them again and again, but never having gotten the chance to play in a game or run a game. Having decided it is finally the time, I've actually run a one day one-shot pirate game using the FATE core rules for my real life friends a few months ago to confirm that I want to give this a full game. So that's the extent of my experience so far. I feel like I've got a good grip on things, but there is also going to be some things I need to learn along the way. I'm more than happy to take people completely new to the system along on the journey of learning with me. And as I've said, the system is rules-light, so it's easy to pick up. The rules in PDF form are available for free/pay-what-you-want on Evil Hat's download page (first link in the FATE core category).

A brief primer on the rules for those who find themselves curious:

And that's really all the basics you need to know to get an impression. The last thing to note is that since I've only ever run this system in a one-shot, I reserve the right to make adjustments to the rules down the line if I find something is not working. If these changes are major, I will do my best to work together with the chosen players so that nobody feels like I'm invalidating their character concept or something, but due to the nature of things, I will have the last say if we should not be able to agree for some reason.

~ Modified Skill List & Stunts ~

While it is not expected, or even recommended, to make a character mechanically at this stage, I understand that it sometimes helps to have at least somewhat of an idea of what you will be able to do. To this end, aside from your character aspects, the big thing determining your character will be skills. If chosen for this game, you will get to select one skill that you are great at (+4 bonus), two you are good at (+3 bonus), three you are fair at (+1 bonus) and four you are average at (+1) bonus. Everything else is by default +0, as FATE core does not use ability scores. In addition to choosing your skills as listed above, you will also get three 'Stunts', which expand or modify skill use, see below. Being a generic system, FATE is intended to be modified where necessary to fit the setting. In our case, this means slightly modifying the skill list. There aren't a lot of changes, but in principle the skill list for this game will be the following:

~ Back cover text of this book advert ~
Some quotes by other authors GMs on the site, placed on the back of this book advert in an attempt to get you to buy my book apply to my game

"I feel like this is the bastard child of a game of Civilization, in a good way" - Sassafrass

"I didn't think you were gonna do the quote thing. I shouldn't be laughing this hard" - Sassafrass

Last edited by Inem; 05-25-2020 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:31 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Reserved for answers to questions, as well as list of applicants

CharacterPlayerRoleStatus
Sybil "Shark's Bite" ThorneHowling Winds ofNavigatorIncomplete
Varli 'Cuttlefish' RisherHotsuSamaQuartermasterComplete
MacTiernan CorbeauxogamodynaNavigator/NegotiatorComplete
Kjell KnutsenArjentBosunComplete
William Ardentsavoylen-Withdrawn
Achilles "Lee" CorzánariskofrainMedicComplete
Whitey Grimshanksdavide15Cook & ProvisionerIncomplete
Moemoe Terriau RoekahsMusician (plus possibly Carpenter)Complete
Canowicate "Keno" HarjoMaxFury86GunnerComplete
JetsamBirchedBoatswainComplete
Hazy/HazelRosemary RedRigging SpecialistComplete
Reshiok, friend to Ratsgoatmeal?Complete
Argus GaleCedricMaster GunnerComplete

*where "Complete" exclusively means you have filled out all required blocks of information

Last edited by Inem; 05-25-2020 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:49 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56111
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
I condemn this game and demand it be taken down immediately, this is liable for using my name like this.

Also I'm interested.
Old 05-03-2020, 09:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1946
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Posting Interest! Will put together an app of some kind later on today! This is too fun for me not to at least throw my hat in !
Old 05-03-2020, 09:48 PM
137 NPSG Graduates

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36682
zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian zevonian
Thank you for the detailed explanation of FATE rules. Rather helpful.

In regards to the story you have presented -

1. Do all the starting PCs know each other well prior to game start? As in if two characters were on the same ship for years, could a third have just joined the crew last week?

2. Any Troubles you specifically don't want used in an application?

3. If two applications are for something akin to "Main Gunner", is there a chance for both players to be accepted, or are crew positions singular and heavily considered for "party balance" in game?
In other words and system speak, can the group have two wizards or two rangers?
Old 05-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Application W.I.P. for now will add the meat later on!
Experience with Fate I have played in one or two games of Fate total. It's a system I've avoided (mostly because the ads never really grabbed my attention) but I am looking to broaden my gaming horizons a bit! It's also been a long, long time (read: years) since I last played Fate. So, I will be rusty, please forgive any initial errors!

Captaincy Question:
right-aligned image

Name: Sybil "Shark's Bite" Thorne
High Concept: Veteran Pirate Officer with blood on her hands
Trouble: Trying to escape a bounty before it catches up to her and kills her.

Role on ship: Navigator
Skills: Sail, Melee (swordmanship), Intimidate
Appearance: With dark black hair and haunting black eyes, Sybil can be be described as fearsome in look and word. Opting not for the flashy coats and glinting swords of some pirates, Sybil perfers darker color, grays, blacks but puts some white underneath it all.

In terms of actions and sea life, Sybil has two sides. When not in battle, she's quiet, often concentrating on not running the ship aground on to many sand bars. Because of very technical nature of her job, she's not overly social with the rest of the crew; but will speak to anyone who wants to engage her in conversation. Subjects of interest include; maps, ships and naval battles, a story from her past (i.e. how she earned her nickname). Sybil prides herself on being an astute navigator and pilot. Misremembers may see her as not qualified for the pirate life...but they've never seen her battle...

Whether it is in naval combat or in hand to hand fighting (which she prefers, along with the thrill of boarding an enemy ship to plunder and sink them), Sybil will gladly be one of the first across to the enemy ship. her focus on navigation has lent itself to her sword fighting skill. It's not fancy or flashy; but she's been very effective against crew. Although she also carries a pistol, Sybil believes them to be less effective on the open sea as opposed to raiding an island. The lack of control over the bullet goes means that even a well aimed shot can still miss.

Ultimately, Sybil wants to be the first female pirate to lay claim to mapping known ocean. The map will act as her personal memento and will mean more to her than any actual treasure they collect. The map will reference islands, people and traders the crew encounters, even interesting creature sightings and rough locations. Sybil desire to find this legendary treasure, certainly, but is more about the actual adventure and the journey to the treasure as opposed to whatever it turns out to be.

Personality: Though she claims it's purely for the adventure and thrill of a long term high seas voyage, Sybil is also desperate. Desperate to elude the law for a little longer. Desperate to avoid the noose for a few more weeks, months, years. She's nt ashamed of her past, but it weighs heavily on her.
Isle of Origin: Sybil tells anyone that asks her where she's from that she was born on the Black Shoal. The black shoal is actually part of a larger island known as
Background:This is the big one. Tell me a little something about your characters life before they became a pirate of the current PC crew. This can include why they became a pirate, but does not need to. FATE character creation is interwoven with that of other players when it comes to backstory and everyone knowing each other, so the recent past where everyone met up and formed this crew will be a collaborative effort after players are chosen. I won't set a limit here for how much or how little this should be, but use common sense. Two lines are probably not enough to convince me your character is interesting, but I can't be reading a huge novel for every single application either or I'll go insane...
Roleplay sample: This is to give me an idea of how you envision playing this character. Choose one event from your character's past that you feel is significant and write up a roleplay sample for me.

Last edited by Howling Winds of; 05-06-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:56 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
I told myself I wouldn't apply for any more games, but I'll always jump for more Fate. Application nominally complete.

Application - Varli
right-aligned image
Experience with FATE: have both played and run sessions of FATE Core.

Captaincy Question: Funnily enough I've just had that same situation, where I eventually decided to try for a PC as captain, only for that PC to leave the game a couple of weeks later. I think once you have established the reliability of players it'd be an interesting experiment, and might give us some fun with shifting power dynamics, but until that feels viable I'm fine with an NPC captain. Varli would want to uphold traditional power structures with a captain in place, rather than allowing a de facto shared-power system.

Name: Varli 'Cuttlefish' Risher

High Concept: Ambitious captain-hopeful with a commanding aura
Trouble: A name both infamous and false
Role on ship: Quartermaster
Top Three Skills: +4 Provoke; +3 Deceive, Presence

Appearance: In her mid-twenties, Varli is healthy and straight-backed, her skin tanned olive. The extensive time she's spent on docks and ships has callused her hands and threatens to etch a permanent glower onto her features. She has some care for her appearance, but mostly in regard to emulating a figure of presence and authority; her officer's jacket is her most valuable possession, and she keeps it in prime condition. Sometimes she unbuttons the collar to show off the bullet scar on her shoulder blade. Braiding her hair is a small indulgence, although she prefers to gather it into a bun to keep it out of the way when at work.

Personality: Varli's philosophy is that if your bark is good enough, you never need to bite. When in full flight she's abrasive, argumentative and manipulative. She's committed fully to embodying the assertive force she believes would be expected of her as a Risher. She's not without compassion, and is quick to take action to preserve her crew and inspire their loyalty, but will swing towards pragmatism when the chips are down.

Varli is openly ambitious, and eventually expects to lead her own pirate fleet. Previous setbacks have tempered her a little, to the point that she will currently accept the authority of other captains while she establishes herself as an able seafarer in her own right. Depending on her growing confidence and support of the crew, she may be inclined to challenge the captain's decisions more frequently as the voyage progresses.

Isle of Origin: Varli claims her birthplace as one of the rough-and-tumble settlements in the Red Pebbles, a volcanic archipelago in Serenity's western waters.

Background: Varli is defined by her claim as a Risher, born of a liaison between the Pirate King Risher and a woman from the Red Pebbles. Such claims aren't wholly outlandish - Captain Risher was rumoured to have liaisons across various islands, including some of those in Serenity on one of his rare trips to these calmer waters - but are still hard to enforce. Varli knows she won't be the first lining up to suckle from that teat, so she doubles down with an ambition and ferocity to enforce a public image of a Pirate Queen Ascendant, shutting down her doubters through sheer force of will.

In fact, Varli's first obstacles weren't from questions against her legitimacy, but from her early recklessness. She successfully stole a ship from a large Red Pebbles dock and assembled a ragtag crew over the course of several weeks, flying the Kraken's flag and attacking lesser crews for resources and prospective recruits. Her progress was good - until she was intercepted by a bigger fish.

The Brenhinol Julian Liore, known as 'The Red Regent', had returned to Serenity from the Maelstrom on request from the World Government. While in western Serenity he heard rumours of a captain claiming the Kraken's flag and bloodline; curiosity drove him to investigate. Intercepting Varli on open waters, he overpowered her ship with ease. Caught in a confrontation they weren't ready for, Varli's crew turned on her to save their own skins. Varli fled in a rowboat and Captain Liore didn't pursue, finding the endeavour a waste of time.

Learning a bitter lesson, Varli barely survived her eventual return to a civilised island. Trying again to steal a ship gave her a scar on her shoulder from a stray musket shot as she fled. Eventually she had to accept some humility and sail as a deckhand with a seasoned crew, who were amused by her Kraken claims and called her Cuttlefish instead. The name's stuck with her as an acceptable, if inferior, moniker.

Slowly distancing herself from the mixed results of her early ventures, her name and diverse experience soon made it easy to get the attention of local pirates, and she joined a crew already assembling to investigate the Kraken's fabled treasure, reckoning it'd be better to work underneath a captain's title for now. As this new ship approaches the Maelstrom, she plans to gain recognition from the established pirate factions and figureheads, enforce her claim as a Risher when the time is right, and eventually claim the Pirate King's fortune as her proclaimed birthright.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.

Last edited by HotsuSama; 05-25-2020 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:24 AM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14258
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Inem is a top-notch DM, so if anyone is on the fence about this one:

Don't be.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:44 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Glad to see some early interest! Keep it coming!

In regards to questions that have been asked:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zevonian View Post
1. Do all the starting PCs know each other well prior to game start? As in if two characters were on the same ship for years, could a third have just joined the crew last week?
No, all PCs do not necessarily need to know each other well. I realize some of the themes I'm going for, like friendship and loyalty, are very interesting if they still need to develop. That being said, generally speaking the three aspects that still get added in FATE in addition to High Concept and Trouble are aspects related to "guest starring" in some event in one of the other PCs adventures in the past. So if you were new to the crew, I would probably ask for one of those aspects to be related to a significant event/adventure you had with a single one of the other PCs in your first week with the crew, and one to be related to having crossed paths with one of the other PCs sometime in the past (though this could be a minor crossing of the paths or one where each PC doesn't start out knowing that the other was involved). The third one we would then still figure out. But all of this is just a guideline to start from, and I'm open to working something out with the players involved if this is the route they want to go

Quote:
2. Any Troubles you specifically don't want used in an application?
I can't think of anything off hand that I would say no to by default. Only two limitation are that it feasibly needs to be able to come into play, and it feasibly needs to be able to do so within the site rules. If that requires the occasional fade to black, that's fine. But if the core of your trouble is something far outside what we can deal with within the site rules, that would get a no. Of course, I reserve the right to still see a specific trouble someone has come up with and realize it won't work and let you know in time to change your application. I am not currently expecting it, assuming the ad was fully read and considered, but you never know what you guys will think of that I didn't. If anyone does have a Trouble they are considering that they are unsure about, and would like confirmation before developing the rest of the character more properly, you can of course feel free to ask me in advance (in secret if you want)

Quote:
3. If two applications are for something akin to "Main Gunner", is there a chance for both players to be accepted, or are crew positions singular and heavily considered for "party balance" in game?
In other words and system speak, can the group have two wizards or two rangers?
I'm not going to ignore it, but it will exclusively be a tie-breaker. If the two "Main Gunner" applications are among the top applications, they don't just have a chance to be accepted, they will be. If I'm down to my last spot, and I have two equally good applications that I can't decide between, one being another Main Gunner after I've already chosen one of those, and another being an interesting different role that I haven't got yet, it will probably go to the different role. But again, exclusively tie-breaker, so low odds of actually coming into play and you are probably better off just going with whatever role you are feeling the most than working around what others have done. Because even two Main Gunners can be very different based on High Concept and Trouble they choose.

I'm not concerned about party balance at all. Firstly, I can always adjust my story/encounters to match the group composition. Secondly, you are going to have a crew of people. While initially they are going to be a lot less competent than the PCs who are all exceptional individuals, I can definitely see story threads around recruiting a highly skilled NPC for a position at one of your stops (who will still be less skilled than you lot, but more skilled than the typical riff raff crew). So yeah, if I end up taking two "Main Gunners" and two "Cooks", that isn't a problem. It's only going to result in e.g. plots around acquiring bigger/better/more cannons or a ship with more cannons to accommodate two gunners and e.g. a plot of the crew needing to search for a competent engineer/carpenter as they realize having one will be important.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:50 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14405
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
right-aligned image

Experience with FATE: I played a Fate game or two on RPGX including Savoylen's Hoffman game. I have the Dresden Files "Your Story" book and a couple of free downloads of Fate. In fact there are probably some fudge dice somewhere within my desk drawers. But then again I think there might be answers to world and galactic mysteries hidden in those same drawers as well as a portal to Chtulhu's boudoir. I shan't look for any of them, including the dice. That being said, I will still enjoy some collaboration and clarification with the Master from time to time.

Captaincy Question: I believe in a mix of options two and three. Start the characters as equals, but let the story decide if one rises to the rank of captain or if they rule by democracy or council or even matriarchal theocracy for all I know. That gives the story an organic feel and the option to expand in interesting unforeseen directions.

Name: MacTiernan Corbeaux, Mac, Tir, Mactir, Tiernan, "First", Lieutenant, L.T., his high and might lord fancy pants, Lord Smartass, and that right bastard.

High Concept: Unabashedly Unashamed Ex-Executive officer of the World Organisation.
Trouble: Sarcastic response to bullies
Role on ship: Pilot/Navigator and negotiator. Mac's upbringing, education, and familiarity with many cultures make him ideal for "Face" type duties, provided he keeps his tongue sheathed.
Top Three (or five) skills: Lore, Navigation, Empathy, Resources, Fight. Though not necessarily in that order. I'm nowhere close to filling out his pyramid yet.

Appearance: From a distance, Mac looks like a well-setup youngish man in an immaculate uniform. It is only when nose to chest with him that your average sailor can appreciate the true size of a man built to typical dimensions then boosted to six and a half feet, give or take a couple of inches. His unruly and waved hair is either ebon or a brown dark enough to pass for black. It was, until recently, groomed carefully in the naval style. Now it is beginning to grow out. Large Hazel eyes, gleaming with intelligence and wit, dominate a face bordered by the aforementioned waves of black and a strong jawline centered on a rockhard chin. His cheeks are high and prominent, his lips full and expressive. Above all, he is always as well-groomed as circumstances permit. Typically he is clothed either in an undecorated Marine uniform with all insignia removed, or clothes more suited to some minor aristocrat. Both the uniform and his occasional civilian clothes are well-tailored from fine materials and kept crisp and clean. At his side, an heirloom blade is all but inevitable.

Personality: A philosophical state of turmoil is probably the most accurate description of Mac's mentality. His life of service collapsed as he learned more and more about the shady dealings, oppression, corruption, and downright evil that is often performed in the name of the World Organisation. His current leaning is to find something, anything, that can restore freedoms and resources to all of the people under that imperial thumb. The secondary issue is, that he is now a loathed traitor to the Marines and a reminder of loss and death to his new pirate kindred. Above all, he is seeking solid ground and settling of the maelstrom in his mind. That is, of course, all internalized. To the outer world, he is calm, poised, and unflappable with a perfect sense of self and his place in the world. His wit is wry, sarcastic, and pointed when he lets the reins loose. His bearing cool, and in command of himself if not any specific situation. In truth Mac knows quite well who he is and what he believes, he just needs to figure out where that fits within the world.

Isle of Origin: The Isle of Guyle. Legend has it that there were once Cymraeg and the Adrea nobles both within the archipelago that contains Guyle. Now, there are a few families with ancient stories and traditions. For the most part, they are backward country lords with little say in governing the world. Some, like Mac's maternal family, have closer ties to those in positions of power. The main resources of the Isles are herd animals, a few crops, some particularly good alcohol, and a ready supply of thugs and muscle for marines and the Brenhinol alike.

Background: Mac is a scion of a once noble family, now relegated to a single island and estate on that island. They are nominally part of the World Organisation. In fact, his mother's family are trusted members of the higher levels of that society. His father's family is...colorful. Their lands would be something like one of the Highland Clans during the British occupation. There is quite a bit of "rustic" industry, and much of that goes to fuel the work of the Organisation. He was brought up to a certain level of luxury, provided a fine education, and had doors opened to a bright future with the Navy after serving as a Merchant Marine, then as exectuive officer with a commission bought by his family on a small privateer vessel, and finally as a true Marine. That last post is what turned him from the course plotted for him. He could not deal with Seeing outlying communities treated as little more than chattel. Women abused with no voice against their "official" harrassers, and even the execution of foes that should have been brought to trial. The palpable aura of superiority his fellow Marines showed for anyone not part of their organisation turned his stomach. Perhaps the abuses were restricted just to his own insignifact ship, rather than the systemwide abuse he suspected. However, it was enough that he disappeared along with the convenient loss of a prize-ship that ended up in pirate hands. With no love for the Organization and less for the Brenhinol, he sought his freedom and hopes to find some way to earn his own ship, and a means to liberate as many people as possible from the tyranny of a world government with too many tentacles snuffing out lives and freedom around the known world.

Last edited by ogamodyna; 05-19-2020 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:50 AM
Nargle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32198
ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu ekidnu
Ooh--FATE plus pirate run by three-time Iron DM Inem?! This should be all kinds of awesome!
Old 05-05-2020, 04:17 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekidnu View Post
Ooh--FATE plus pirate run by three-time Iron DM Inem?! This should be all kinds of awesome!
Well, you are the resident expert on water-based characters, so you should know. But you are naturally welcome to apply and contribute to the awesomeness

Anyway, I've taken a first look at the first few applications (more of a glance than a detailed read though), and have just a few initial thoughts:

One thing I did notice upon reading all the applications that slipped through the cracks in terms of what information I require from you is "age". I will be adding this to the example template in the first post, but for everyone who has already started, please add this as well at some point.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:36 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.

Last edited by Inem; 05-06-2020 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by Howling Winds of; 05-06-2020 at 07:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:29 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 171
Sir Grindsalot Sir Grindsalot
Yo ho ho,
Once per week?

Oh no!

Keep me in mind if that changes, and if you still have holes in your roster, of course.

Back to tappin' the admiral, then off to the crow's nest with me.

Wind at your back, and whatnot.