RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-05-2020, 08:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14305
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna

Last edited by ogamodyna; 05-06-2020 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10630
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Oh man.... why oh why did I look at this avert?!
Its like chum in the water.

Posting interest for now as I work on some ideas... perhaps the ship's doctor, lore master.
***withdrawn***

Update: Man, its killing me but I'm going to withdraw from this but keep following this game hoping something opens up latter. I'm trying to get an [other]Traveller game started in a few and want to commit to that effort before taking on anything else. I'm doing a RL VT start-up too. Not that I'm wish death and maiming on any of your characters /evil laugh/ but I'm hoping several months out to beg my way into this crew as a replacement player.

I can tell from looking at the crew options already that his is going to be AN AWESOME game. I wish you all the best. I know I'm going to hate that I let this one get away. - Savy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	William Head Shot.PNG
Views:	127
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	84421   Click image for larger version

Name:	William.PNG
Views:	3
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	84422  

Last edited by savoylen; 05-08-2020 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:20 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24604
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
I haven't had time to read specific answers, will do that after work today. But one thing of note is that we've had at least one moderator pop their head in here and look at the advert, and they can see secret text. If you have things that you want to keep secret from all potential other players, make sure to also put them inside spoilerbuttons. I'm going to 'abuse' my own red powers to edit in spoilerbuttons into the last few posts since I forgot to point this out ahead of time and I want to make this thread 'safe' to view for moderators who might be interested in playing without them getting spoiled on something they aren't supposed to know.

I'll take a look at the actual content of answers this afternoon/evening European time.

Currently Recruiting: [FATE] Pirate King's Legacy - Come sail the Maelstrom!
Old 05-06-2020, 02:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
It's like a baited trap Sav. You saw FATE. After that, it was destiny. I felt the same way when I stuck my head in the door. I'm trying to encourage myself to manage time better, but this thread, this game system and concept, a GM with that kind of rep, and some of the names putting their two cents in? Kryptonite man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoylen View Post
Oh man.... why oh why did I look at this avert?!
Its like chum in the water.

Posting interest for now as I work on some ideas... perhaps the ship's doctor, lore master.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:14 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 729
Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent
I'm going to admit that I feel outclassed just applying to this, given the names already posting, but it sounds really fun!

Application
left-aligned image

Experience with FATE: Zilch. Studying up rapidly to make my character.

Captaincy Question: Democratic distribution and see where it heads.

"May the sea's bosom cradle our Captain in death! Ve need a charter; equal share for now? Ve know how to run a ship. Now, hoo can vrite? " the weather beaten man looks around at the faces of the other officers.

Name: Kjell Knutsen
"Like a clam has, ya'know? Sh-ell!"

High Concept: A Wandering Albatross - at home drifting the seas and islands, not a man built for staying in one place.

Role on ship: Bosun - experienced sailor with many practical skills on deck and his own ways of motivating the crew.

Skills:
  • Craft: Knots/Marlinspike - An adept sailor - you'd be surprised the variety of uses for rope!
  • Athletics & Fight - A bit of a brawler more likely to headbutt you in the face than square off for Queen's rules boxing.
  • Provoke & Will - Shoots off at the mouth often and is used to the blowback.

Trouble: "Seemed like a good idea at the time" - A propensity for going all-in whatever it may be has led to some bad outcomes over the years, but also a lot of experience.

In the bar"Oh-hoo! You fink I von't do dat? Hold my ale..." he chuckles fiercely as takes off his thick woolen jacket, uncovering a dirty linen shirt that stretches across thick muscular arms and a small beer gut.

Appearance: His hair is light brown, bleached by the sun. It is thin and wispy, blown about by the sea breezes, but kept short in a practical but unflattering style. His brown eyes are sharp and miss little. He is perpetually rough shaven, and although his cheeks are weather-beaten, it seems his skin prefers to turn red and wrinkled rather than tan. Well-muscled but with a thick chest and gut that suggests he was once used to a better metabolism. Often in traditional thick woolen jackets and plain, wrapped and layered wools and linens cut in styles that mark him as a fisherman. Very little adornment other than an occasional scarf or vest. Nothing that can get caught in the rigging.
In the barHe smiles charmingly at you as you look him up and down. He raises a toast to you in thanks, "Keep the drink coming and you can ask all the questions ya' vant."

Personality: Kjell is the friend you have whom you're never sure how life seems to swirl about him in such a peculiar way. Full of stories sure to split your sides and leave you wondering if one person could truly have such swings of good and bad luck. Either boon or curse, it is all greeted with a laugh; often at himself. He has very little shame and has a knack for starting each day as if the slate were wiped clean (much to the chagrin and often frustration of those around him).
In the bar"The Captain once asked me 'So vhy in the vorld did you sign up for this?' So I tell him 'Vell Captain, sir. The thrills of it! I hafn't done that before, don'cha'know!' Plus...I get people off my back! Farevell, drittsekk! " he gives a firm mock salute with most of his fingers tucked in followed by cackling laughter.

Isle of Origin: Where is your character from, originally?
In the bar"A tiny fishing village in the Northern Reaches of Serenity. Not much to speak of; not much to go back to. Firty-free years at sea, if you count fishing vith my father." the sailor raps his knuckles on his glass and nods at the barkeep who pushes him another short glass of opaque amber liquid that smells of pine-tar and limes.

Background: Long history of ship life: Pirate, Privateer, Merchant-Marine, after awhile it's hard to tell the difference.
In the bar"Vhat's the difference vhat kind of boat I'm on? Dey all run the same vay. Sails, rigs, ropes. Hoo cares? I don't care. Sometimes you move crates dat you bought; sometimes you move crates dat you got, ya'know?" Kjell gives a big wink and chuckles over a carved bone pipe hanging out of the left side of his mouth. He reaches forward with callused hands and uses the candle on the table to light his pipe.

Roleplay sample: A short story of his past, told as his memory.
In the bar"Ya'know, dis here candle reminds me of the time I escaped a draugr. You know vhat dat is? Oh, you fink you do? Vell, you'd know if you seen one like I haf!" he raises his eyebrow at you warily, looks around the room and leans in close. Suddenly he blows out the candle. "It vas dark as helvete."

Last edited by Arjent; 05-11-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen savoylen
Thanks for the awesome advert!
As I started working on this, I have a few questions (sorry for the list):

1. Do you have ideas on how we will handle the Phase Trio portion? Can we do Phase one now based on our background or RP sample; and phase two if we team up with someone that is applying? Or hold off on this for now until selection, during game-play, or never?

2. What are your thoughts on FX and Faith? Are there magic and miracles in this world? If so, what are your thoughts on those for characters?

3. Are you (or can we) pull from the Freeport Companion or the Fate Tool Kit?

4. As for conflict, do you see the game focused more on social contests or physical conflict? I'm wondering if there is a need for a healer/loremaster or if it would be better off being a deckhand that is good with a right-hook. That kind of thing.

5. Do you have Extras Info. for our ship, or the organizations you listed? That might help give us a feel for what your setting and fate-style.

6. Speaking of Extras. If I wanted to throw in a Lemur sidekick in place of a Stunt, A. would you consider it and B. what would the stunt cost be?

BTY, if all the answers to these are, We'll figure that out as we go... or not sure yet... and absolutely NO LEMURS on my ship... I'm fine with that and completely understand given how open FATE is.

Thanks again, Savy

Last edited by savoylen; 05-06-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:35 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjent View Post
I'm going to admit that I feel outclassed just applying to this, given the names already posting, but it sounds really fun!
Hey Arjent! Don't let anyone's post count, RPGxp total or Badges intimidate you! Keep on playing here and the years will fly bye and the same will happen to you.

Its awesome to have you throw you name in the hat and we are honored to have you here - best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll do great!

- Savy

Last edited by savoylen; 05-06-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:00 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yea Silber, I mean Arjent, you get to be one of those names with the funny numbers by playing and posting well. This would be a great game to start in for any of us. If some of those guys are better at this than I am, it just means they give me better scaffolding for my own posts! As for the RP points and all? They just mean some folks have been nerding around here longer than others ;p BTW, you totally had me doing the swedish chef Iambic speech pattern with that accent.

And DAMN you Sav!!! lmao. I already had nebulous thoughts about a spider monkey of unusual intelligence lol.

Quote:
Hey Arjent! Don't let anyone's post count, RPGxp total or Badges intimidate you! Keep on playing here and the years will fly bye and the same will happen to you.

Its awesome to have you throw you name in the hat and we are honored to have you - best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll do great!

- Savy

Last edited by ogamodyna; 05-06-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:26 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the support, you all. Looking forward to learning more; I've already learned tons just applying to games and through the NPSG (Thanks, Berith)!

Quote:
BTW, you totally had me doing the swedish chef Iambic speech pattern with that accent.
Glad the accent came through!
Old 05-06-2020, 04:08 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24604
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjent View Post
As others have already said, don't be discouraged by numbers or other things. I've had some great players in games with me who were in their first or second game at the time, and am more than willing to give people 'newer' to RPGX a chance just as much as I'm willing to play with people who are unfamiliar with FATE. You put in a good application, you've got a good shot.

Quote:
Thanks for the awesome advert!
As I started working on this, I have a few questions (sorry for the list):
No need for apologies, questions in the application process are good!

Quote:
1. Do you have ideas on how we will handle the Phase Trio portion? Can we do Phase one now based on our background or RP sample; and phase two if we team up with someone that is applying? Or hold off on this for now until selection, during game-play, or never?
My plan was for doing this after player selection, before we start the game proper. That being said, there is no reason you can't do your phase one at this point if you want to. However, definitely hold off on the rest for now.

Quote:
2. What are your thoughts on FX and Faith? Are there magic and miracles in this world? If so, what are your thoughts on those for characters?
I might just be blanking at the moment, but I can't figure out what FX would stand for in this context. Faith in this world is not hammered in stone yet. My initial thought is that the descendants of the remaining Cymraeg are pretty close to being worshiped as gods, and that is everything there is in terms of faith. However, this is definitely something I would be willing to work out more details on with the selected players. We could certainly consider a setting where there is some form of religion tied to the world government, where the Cymraeg descendants take the high roles in the church. Or a setting with no real faith whatsoever.

In consequence, there won't really be miracles, no. I think we'll leave those to the D&D games. Which isn't to say no miracle will ever happen in the game, but if it did, it would be the equivalent of a miracle happening in our world, i.e. no one would have any idea what is going, because something like that just doesn't happen. So in turn, this isn't really an option for characters, unless you are talking about a "Huh, well what are the odds?" type of miracle.

Magic is a point someone else has raised via PM as well that I haven't gotten around to adding to my second post of important questions that have been answered yet, so I'll do it here and then paste it up: In principle, I would consider this a low magic world. That is to say, that to the normal person living in Serenity, there is no such thing as magic, just like to people in our world there is no magic. However, I am willing to open this up, if you guys want to write in minor magic abilities to your character that is absolutely acceptable. However, they have to be on a level that can be handled by skills and stunts, which means they will most likely be very narrow and not very in depth. An example of ways this could be implemented would be that you justify your best skill being Athletics as the fact that your character can magically enhance their strength. Or, by picking a stunt which provides a situational bonus which you attribute to minor magic (e.g. a bonus to using 'Deceive' in order to disguise yourself due to a minor shapechange ability that lets you slightly alter your height). I purposefully tried to pick things here that I wouldn't expect anyone to take so that no one feels like they can't do it now that I've brought it up, but should hopefully still give you a scope of what magical abilities might be able to do. Obviously, you could layer multiple stunts to get a little more effect (either broader abilities or a little more oomph in what you can do).

So short answer: Faith unclear, miracles no, magic in very minor and subtle ways that we can mechanically implement via skills and stunts is acceptable. If you are considering a concept like this and are in any way unsure, please don't hesitate to run your ideas/your goal of what you'd like your character to be able to do by me and I'll see how feasible that seems.

Quote:
3. Are you (or can we) pull from the Freeport Companion or the Fate Tool Kit?
I don't own Freeport Companion, so I won't be pulling from it. This will obviously also make it harder for you to pull from it, but it will depend on what you want. E.g. a cool stunt you found in that book might be perfectly acceptable.

As for Fate Systems Tool Kit, I have pulled a little bit from it (see e.g. financial conflicts, or the fact that I customized the skill list). I can't offhand think of anything that would be suitable for you to pull from it as a player, as most of the things are intended to modify the system as a whole. That being said, if you have something specific that you would like implemented, I'm certainly willing to take a look and see if I think it could work, but I make no promises. I certainly don't want to go adding additional complicated rules, as it sort of runs counter to the whole idea of FATE, so something like that would need a very good justification.

Quote:
4. As for conflict, do you see the game focused more on social contests or physical conflict? I'm wondering if there is a need for a healer/loremaster or if it would be better off being a deckhand what's good with a right-hook. That kind of thing.
In order of expected appearance, I would rank: Physical contests, social contests, emotional contests, financial contests. This is, however, certainly something that will also depend on the characters selected. If a character is built to be very good at social skills, I will assume that that player is interested in getting into social conflicts and will do my best to give sufficient opportunities (taking into account the preferences of the other players and the general flow of the narrative, some problems you just can't talk out...while others you just can't solve by hitting them harder), whereas if everyone has made characters clearly intended to be good at fighting, there'll be more physical and less social than I might have originally envisioned.

That being said, I'm not sure I would see a healer/loremaster as necessarily being a character good at social encounters. I mean, you could certainly build him that way, and knowing a lot can certainly be very useful in social situations. On the other hand, it doesn't necessarily get others to believe you, nor does it necessarily mean that you aren't easily rattled during social interactions. You could absolutely make a social healer/loremaster by choosing to invest into those skills, but you could just as well make a healer/loremaster who kills with surgical precision. And in fact, healing seems by nature more related to the follow up to physical combat than to social interactions. So yes, you could be a healer/loremaster (in whatever direction you wanted to take that concept) and it would fit into the game, and you could also be just very good at combat and fit into the game (remember, you're going to be a lieutenant of the crew and an exceptional individual, so 'deckhand' might not be quite ambitious enough, but you could certainly be built around mainly punching people).

Quote:
5. Do you have Extras Info. for our ship, or the organizations you listed? That might help give us a feel for what your setting and fate-style.
Nothing is fixed yet in terms of the ship, my thought is that you guys will start with a decent not great ship, but this is something I intend to settle in a collaborative effort with the chosen players. The organizations are still purposefully vague for two reasons, a) to allow you guys to shape them to a certain extent and b) because I don't want you guys to know too much about some of them, because your characters wouldn't. That being said, what would you like to have, here? Would a little bit of info including some aspects on a high ranking Marine officer and on one of the Brenhinol be useful/what you are looking for? Or are you hoping for something broader? I'm afraid you'll need to give me a little more specifics on what you'd like some more details on so I can figure out if a) I know that myself at this point and b) there is something I can let you know without spoiling too much.

Quote:
6. Speaking of Extras. If I wanted to throw in a Lemur sidekick in place of a Stunt, A. would you consider it and B. what would the stunt cost be?
A. I am absolutely willing to consider it.
B. That is a great question, but it sort of depends on what you envision the Lemur being able to do and how much control you expect to have over it. I'd need more of an idea on what you're hoping to get out of it to let you know what I think an appropriate cost would be

I believe I have gotten to all the questions that were open. If I missed something, I apologize and hereby request that you remind me/point your question out to me again!

Currently Recruiting: [FATE] Pirate King's Legacy - Come sail the Maelstrom!

Last edited by Inem; 05-06-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:55 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10646
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Ugh. I wish I had more time. Someone please find me more time! So happy to see more FATE on site, though!

Last edited by Roekahs; 05-10-2020 at 01:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics

Last edited by ogamodyna; 05-06-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:00 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1901
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of

Last edited by Howling Winds of; 05-07-2020 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2124
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Alright, my application is complete expect for some incidental revision here and there. I think I ticked all the boxes.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.
Old 05-07-2020, 11:55 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
My application is complete unless there's feedback on tweaks required to fit better.