Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 311
ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain
APPLICATION

artwork by Rachel Denton

Name: Achilles "Lee" Corzán
High Concept: Ignazian Doctor and Documentarian.
Role on Ship: Medic. If needed, wayfinder.

METAExperience with FATE: I've ran both Core and Accelerated a dozen or so times as a GM, but it was a while ago. I'm gonna give FATE a little reread as a refresher.

Captaincy: I think there's a way for this character to fit into either option. I think I like the idea of a democratised ship command, there's definitely a lot of narrative scope with that option, but I'm definitely open to other ideas.

CHARACTERHomeland: Orza. Left at age 16, travelling to Cadent, where they studied briefly, before leaving school to become an unlicensed physician.

About Orza

About Cadent

Trouble: Forbidden Medical Practices.

Skills: +4 is Lore, for the obvious medical expertise Lee has. The +3s are Investigate (Lee is well practiced in analyzing situations and people, and has a keen eye) and Presence. (As someone who has had to keep their cool under scrutiny and high pressure situations, Lee has learned to maintain a stoic presence, even when situations are dire, or when there is active hostility directed their way.)

Appearance: I would facecast Lee as LaKeith Stanfield, They are slightly above average height, and keep themself well built, despite their academic interests. Physical appearance is important to them, as much a tool to deflect a layer of criticism as anything. As such, they keep a neat appearance - maintained facial hair, often wearing a dark double-breasted coat and trouser combination that invokes the authority of the military.

Personality: Lee is stoic, reserved, and kind.

Background:

Roleplay:

Last edited by ariskofrain; 05-27-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:54 PM
A Most Skeptical Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3425
davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15
So I'm always looking for a fun FATE game to get into and this one looks fantastic! I'm always a sucker for high seas adventure Before I get too deep into character creation I've got a couple of questions.
  1. What's the general level of technology we should expect out of this campaign?
  2. Approximately how many crew do you think will be aboard the ship?
  3. Are you planning on using the crew combat and/or ship combat rules from Sails Full of Stars in this game?
  4. Is our faithful ship going to get the Extra treatment?

Last edited by davide15; 05-08-2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24604
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Alright, I have made use of my weekend and done my first detailed read-through of all applications. I have some feedback, some questions and also just some suggestions as food for thought for everyone in secret text at the bottom of this post. If you've got a reasonably complete application, and you don't see secret text at the bottom of this post, let me know, because I either missed you or screwed up some tags somewhere.

As for new questions that have been asked (as always, if you have asked a question and I did not answer it in this post, go ahead and point it out again, as that probably means I missed it or forgot about it):

Quote:
Originally Posted by davide15 View Post
  1. What's the general level of technology we should expect out of this campaign?
  2. Approximately how many crew do you think will be aboard the ship?
  3. Are you planning on using the crew combat and/or ship combat rules from Sails Full of Stars in this game?
  4. Is our faithful ship going to get the Extra treatment?
1.) The general level of technology is probably best described as "about the level you typically see in most pirate movies", though this is also something that will get its final polish in discussion with the finally selected players. So for a few examples: There are guns and rifles and cannons, but nothing super complex. There are no steam ships. General medical practices are known, but doctors are not super common and medical procedures carry a certain risk (obviously this would be less so if a PC makes a doctor character with a significant investment into being good at medicine, but even such a PC will have limits to what can be done). All that being said, I will let you know that while it is perhaps not common knowledge, the World Government and in consequence the Marines might have access to...certain slightly more advanced technologies than the rest of the world.

2.) Again, this will depend on the general preferences of the selected players and isn't set in stone. However, I tend to favor less over more when it comes to unnamed NPCs. So my thought is that the party will have a mid-sized ship, which would probably put them at around 10-15 crewmen (in addition to the PCs).

3.) For ship battles, roughly, yes. I will make some tweaks (those rules were designed for space combat after all), but the general concept translates well. For crew combat, I am still undecided, mainly because I'm concerned that having the players control groups of the crew will slow down too much in PbP. Both of those things being said, don't expect ship combat and crew combat to be super common things. Most of the time, the potential for damage to the ship and casualties to the crew, neither of which can be fixed simply, will make full scale ship combat unattractive to you guys. Of course, when the Marines or aggressive other pirates show up you probably won't have a choice, but you probably won't be going out of your way regularly attacking other ships (at least not those that can defend themselves) on your own, because the gains aren't worth the losses. Also, don't get super hung up on the sea battles and forget that significant portions of this game will also take place on the islands you need to visit in order to travel along the Maelstrom.

4.) Yes, with a few aspects to begin with, which can then be improved/replaced by better aspects as the game progresses and the players find cool stuff.

Last edited by Inem; 05-09-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:23 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 311
ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain

Last edited by ariskofrain; 05-09-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:03 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14405
ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna ogamodyna
Thank you for the input Inem.

Last edited by ogamodyna; 05-10-2020 at 12:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:36 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 729
Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent
We'll just have to give the crew names, then! Oh goodness...Salty Bob, Limey Paul, Slimey Saul, uh-oh...maybe just "Hey, you!"

Last edited by Arjent; 05-10-2020 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:45 AM
A Most Skeptical Hippo

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3425
davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15 davide15
WIP
Application - WIP
left-aligned image

Experience with Fate: I've run a few games for my group in real life, and played in one. Been a part of one that appears to have stalled a bit on this site. It is one of my favorite systems, because of how much focus there is on narrative elements are wrapped into mechanical elements so I'm excited to see another one come up on this site!

Captaincy Question: I'm pretty easy going about this I'm not rushing to build a character that's looking to take command. If anything Whitey is going to be more drawn towards being a lackey, but he wouldn't mind saying his piece to the high n' mighty.

Name: Whitey Grimshanks
"The name's Grimshanks, but me shanks ain't nought but gay."

Age: Indeterminate could be anywhere from late 30s to early 50s.

High Concept: Ships C(r)ook and Resident Procurer
If Whitey wants it, he can usually get his hands on it. If he can't acquire it legitimately, he'll find another method to his goal. And for a price, he'll get you what you want too.
Trouble: Smells Near Bad as He Looks
Not one for hygiene, manners or any of the finer points of decent society, Whitey often turns heads among more polite company, and not for the right reasons.
Role on Ship: Cook & Provisioner

Skills: Burglary, Resources, Shoot

Appearance: Short, stocky and dressed in a ragged dirty apron Whitey Grimshanks cuts a rather squalid figure. His bloodshot eyes and unshaven jowls speak to his generally less than healthy lifestyle. He has a long ripvine scar running from a squat broad nose all the way down his cheek and hiding beneath coarse black sideburns. He is balding, but folk rarely see the top of his head underneath the floppy stained toque perched there like a crown

Whitey's arms are longer and more muscular than you might expect of someone in such obvious disrepair, but considering they are attached to a keg barrel of a man, they do little more than serve to highlight his simian resemblance.

Personality: Whitey is as affable a fellow as you've ever met. He likes nearly everyone, even the ones that don't much like him! When he takes you into his confidence, Whitey will get awful close and grab you by the back of the neck conspiratorially, drawing you head to head with him where you can smell the alcohol and stale sweat emanating from his body. He's a man of unflappable good humor, it just isn't always a humor that resonates with the folks around him.

As for this journey, Whitey's been a pirate as long as he, or anyone really, remembers. Came up on the deck of a ship, and has made his way about more than a few solitary seas. He signed on to the ship because the captain needed a good cook and someone who could get the supplies they'd need for the journey. At least the captain got those supplies.

Island of Origin & Background: Rumor has it Whitey sprang fully formed from the corpse of a dead manatee, and it could be the case, judging by the smell. Truth be told he doesn't even know the name of the Island he was born on, since his first memories were aboard a ship, "The Fallen Tuna." If he ever had parents it's a bit of a mystery to him, hell, they might even still be alive, but those memories are lost in a fog of salt wind, stiff drink and gun smoke. He swabbed that deck until he purloined from one who should not be purloined from and was abandoned to the tender mercies of the law. It was only by luck he managed to escape captivity on Ile De Sorna at the tender age of 11 and onto another ship, "The Medallion." If anywhere was his home, it was the Medallion. He spent years there as a powder monkey, but a suprising knack for numbers and a good sense of where to find a bargain, not to mention the stickiest fingers one did ever see, began to see Whitey amass a bit of a personal fortune, he made trades with other sailors and started building up good credit on the Islands where the ship landed, gaining a reputation for being able to find difficult to locate items for the right price.

Roleplay Sample: WIP

Last edited by davide15; 05-11-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:46 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10696
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Alright ... I can't stay away. This concept has been brewin' ...
Character Submission!

Name: Moemoe Terriau
right-aligned image

High Concept: Mountain of a Man Made for Music
Trouble: Branded The Whafkish are the bottom-most dwellers of the bottom. Eternally branded as servants and stewards; typically banned from sailing(?)Whafkish
Aspect 1: Moe is a pacifist at heart. He just wants to be accepted and doesn’t jump into emotional outbursts easily. But when he is finally pushed too far, Moe packs a punch like very few foes aroundThe bear may be sleeping, but if you keep poking it …
Role on ship: Musician (Maybe something else: Woodworker?)
+4 Physique  
+3 Presence Contacts  
+2 Shoot Craft Empathy?  
+1 Fight? Athletics? Provoke? Rapport/Notice?
Skills
: (+4) Physique, (+3) this seems like the closest thing to a "perform"?Presence, Contacts (Shoot is also in the running because holding a big freaking cannon of a gun …)

Appearance: He's big. Like really big.

Personality: Moe is a happy dude. He is living the life he wants and one that was essentially forbidden. Every day is a good day even when things are going poorly. His upbeat attitude along with his musical talents have won him quite a few friendly acquaintances and many a favor. His past has left him quiet during new encounters, but his bigger than life personality and skill can often overcome first impressions.

Moe never fit in anywhere during his early life. He was an oversized lug that made visitors nervous on his home island, so he was eventually hidden away from visiting eyes. When he finally broke free and stole away on a ship and attempted a life on the sea, he was ostracized and belittled. It took a lot of effort and even thicker skin to survive long enough to finally find a captain that would take him on as more than a flogging demonstration. Moe’s loyalty never wavered and slowly he won over a few of the crew. All he wants is to belong somewhere – preferably on the open sea. Danger means nothing when amongst people that actually accept him and any loyalty or compassion shown to the giant man is returned ten-fold. Where they are going is far less important to Moe than the journey.

Isle of Origin: Fiarr Igt, or Fire Eight, is one of a dozen or so prison-style colonies that now cater services as waypoints for travellers.

Background: Born a servant; didn't fit in; stole away on pirate ship; didn't fit in; finally found something better in a certain Captain

Roleplay sample:

Last edited by Roekahs; 05-13-2020 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:10 AM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2224
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:58 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Lots of secret feedback below, although admittedly most of it isn't particularly secret anyway...

Old 05-11-2020, 08:25 PM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10696
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Thanks Inem!

Last edited by Roekahs; 05-11-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:07 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 729
Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent
Thank you, Inem.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:14 PM
neighbor to the beast.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12726
goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal goatmeal
Old 05-12-2020, 01:51 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
For those wondering, there has still been no deadline set yet. When I announce it, it will be with at least one week's warning to actually closing this ad. Depending on how life goes, I might be making that announcement in a few days. Keep in mind that while you are free to apply all the way till the end, the later you apply the less likely you are to get thorough feedback from me, so don't wait too long to jump in the fray

Old 05-12-2020, 05:49 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2224
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.