twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-18-2020, 04:19 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24654
Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem Inem
Aeth, coming and making it easy for everyone. And here my thinking was: Whelp, if you can't figure it out with the time zone or the information relative to my last post AND don't manage to play it safe by getting done before the deadline is too close, maybe you've failed a critical hurdle

Old 05-18-2020, 06:29 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2224
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Have made some aspect and background changes. Might be a little more tinkering over the coming days to tighten up the writing but the broad strokes look to be in place.

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:48 PM
Mysterious Teenager

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 29678
Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior Melchior
Hmm...

Pirates, you say? Inem, you say?

I know virtually nothing about FATE, but I might just have to see if I can wrangle together something for this.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:24 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior View Post
Hmm...

Pirates, you say? Inem, you say?

I know virtually nothing about FATE, but I might just have to see if I can wrangle together something for this.
Like I mention in the first post, experience with FATE is in no means a prerequisite (and it's not like I'm an expert myself). All you theoretically need to really understand at this point is what a High Concept and a Trouble is (though it is probably recommendable to read the whole 'primer to FATE' section in my first post, just to confirm the system sounds semi-interesting to you. Anyway, definitely looking forward to what you are going to put together
Old 05-19-2020, 07:09 AM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10696
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Fate is a lovely system that prioritizes story-telling! I mean, heck, the few numbers that are actually involved in defining characters (skills) have a word analog (+3 = Good)!

Hopefully I am not overstepping, but I am super excited to see all the definitely all about Fate and has nothing to do with Inem ... Fate love and want to point out a few resources on site:

If you want to follow the Newby character route, here is a walkthrough of a character creation.
There is also a Glossary that points to the big concepts that we point Newbies to in the SRD; good for quick navigating when you can't remember where you found that one thing.

Last edited by Roekahs; 05-19-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:39 AM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23845
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Questions:Experience with FATE: None in playing, I own the Dresden File Fate system and have read it so that might be seen as some sort of foundation. Always wanted to try the system hands on.
Captaincy Question: Option two is preferred, we all start on the same level and during play some sort of chain of command might be wrought.

Argus Gale
left-aligned image

Name: Argus Gale
High Concept: A larger than life, former navy officer with a past that keeps catching up to him.
Trouble: Twenty years as a Marine.
Role on ship: Master Gunner
Skills: Physical, Presence, Shoot, Will, Craft
Appearance: Argus is a tall man in his early fifties whose physique speaks of one who has always taken good care of his health or is blessed by exceptional genes. Broad of shoulder and narrow of waist, he stands with his back straight, his chest out and barely a scrap of fat to be found on his muscular body. His hair and beard are well groomed, thick and white and he somehow always manages to keep himself clean and well kept, a wonder for one overseeing the guns and powder kegs. He has clear, silver colored eyes that express both passion and kindness underneath the usual gruff exterior.

Personality: Argus is a man confident in his own capability, he is intelligent and observant and doesn’t step down from confrontation if he believes he is right. He is passionate in everything he does and expects others to share in his passion. He has been surprised many times before when someone doesn’t share his interest in gunpowder composition or the grains to ounce ratio or how to successfully calculate the trajectory of a cannonball in conjunction with the movement of the boat due to currents and waves. He can come off as overly gruff and to some extent rude, but those who have worked with him know him to be a good man who cares for his fellow crew members, he just doesn’t like to show it for some reason. He is a man of few secrets and he always gives an honest answer, whether the one asking likes it or not.

Isle of Origin: Cadena Vanada, The Vanada Chain is a series of islands in the Serenity region under control of the World Government. Villages of various sizes dot the island chain and on the largest of them sits the small city of Revanche where Argus was born. He left home at the age of 16, signing up to join the Marines and has had no home to call since. For twenty years he served at various ships and at times on land in outposts for a shorter time. The Reliance, a second-rate ship of the line was his home for fourteen years in the Marines until he turned his back on them and became a pirate.

Background: Argus Hieronymus Gale, son to an apothecary of good standard and his wife who was twenty years younger. Older brother to a sister that died of Scarlet when he was eight years old. Home schooled until he was fourteen, showed remarkable aptitude towards math and had a beautiful handwriting. After working with his father for a couple of years he decided on joining the Marines, feeling the tug of adventure out on the open seas. It was to be his home from that day onwards.
The boy was physically fit, tall, strong and bright and the structured life of a Marine suited him, he was able to attend The Naval Academy in between voyages, soon rising to the rank of petty officer.
He was the perfect Marine, he was diligent, had ambition and passion mixed with a strong sense of right and wrong. After six years between various posts he was offered a position on board The Reliance under the captaincy of William Hennessey, rising to the rank of Master Gunner on the ninety gun, three decked warship within a few years.
“The Reliance is a monster in the wrong hands.” Captain Hennesey used to say to his crew, meaning that they had the beast controlled and had the power to use it for good against those on the wrong side of the laws of men.

Then they captured Everett Risher, The Kraken. Everything changed when they executed him, instead of peace finding its way to the seas the Marines doubled their efforts in hunting down pirates and anyone possibly affiliated with them. There was no mercy, only death. So much death was wrought at the hands of good men under pressure from forces within The World Government.
Every day he felt them stray further from their creed, there was savagery to their actions, brought on by a no prisoner order given to them again and again.
The bombardment of Harlow’s Cove at night. The destruction of the fishing boats and with it destroying the livelihood of the people of various small towns believed to harbour pirates. The execution of every man and woman surrendering to the Marines. Argus could feel the strain this put on his captain, they both followed orders again and again. The Reliance had become a monster in the stories of pirates and free people alike, a roaring behemoth wreathed in smoke and leaving behind a crimson wake, led by a captain who had no control over it any more.
It became harder and harder to wash the blood off his hands and he was not able to simply hide behind the excuse that he was only following orders. And there came the day that Argus Gale realized that the only way to make amends and fight for what he believed was right was to join the very same people he had been hunting for twenty years.

Last edited by Cedric; 05-24-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Alright folks, it's the final weekend. Anyone who still wants to make some changes or who still needs to finish up (or anyone who wants to swoop in entirely at the last minute) at this point has a little over 40 hours to do so (depending on how long it takes me to actually finish all the feedback in this post).

So, initial feedback on new applications, and a few brief comments on changes made to applications I've already provided larger feedback on down below in the secret text. Everyone who has applied should have a blurb down below. I shouldn't have missed anyone, but let me know if you don't see yourself below for some reason.

Also, after going over all applications, I'm curious to see the rest of the still incomplete ones. But in any case, I can already say now that I'm going to have some tough choices to make in a few days...definitely a lot of high quality applications here.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:31 PM
Dragon their feet

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2224
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama

Playing: After the Quake, Tenmen, Sky Realm, Ultraviolet Grasslands, Pirate King's Legacy
I've taken the Oath.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:52 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 350
MaxFury86 MaxFury86 MaxFury86 MaxFury86
One day to go!

WOOHOO

Old 05-24-2020, 10:33 AM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23845
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric

Last edited by Cedric; 05-24-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:09 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27049
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Old 05-25-2020, 04:52 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Alright, the time has come, applications are now officially closed. Everyone sit tight while I read the final versions of everyone's applications and then make some very, very tough decisions...No guarantees as to how quickly that will happen, it will depend a little bit on how a few things in my life play out. And on whether or not I can force myself to make those final decisions
I'll aim for at most 2 days, with the goal being much quicker than that. I'm very ready to get this show on the road!
Old 05-25-2020, 09:03 AM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Well... cancel everything I just said. As of one hour ago, the internet at my apartment is no longer working and I'm relegated to my limited mobile phone plan. No idea how long this is going to last. I still hold out hope that it's a temporary issue and will fix itself in a few hours... but even that throws a big wrench into my plans. Worst case scenario, if it is something not on the provider side but with the local line... it might be days,if it's anything like when this happened a few months ago. Back then, pre-pandemic, my provider needed three days to be able to get me a technician... I'm assuming it's not going to be less of a wait right now.

So, keep your eyes on this thread. I will still do my best, but as mentioned, this is going to throw at minimum a big wrench, worst case a huge wrench, into my plans for this week. So no idea if two days is still feasible... but eventually you will hear from me here.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:46 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56111
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
What you're saying is that I still have time.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:15 PM
Bad Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
So good news, part 1: My internet is working again.

Good news part 2: It's been a super hard decision. Or actually several super hard decisions. I want to compliment each and every applicant. This might be the first ad I've ever run, where every single application was in the running, without a single one that had me going "Nah, that just doesn't work" or "Nah, that's not good enough". To everyone who didn't get in, I apologize. The final spot was so so close, and I went back and forth on it so often. I briefly considered doing something really stupid and taking more than the maximum of six players I had set for myself, but I decided that's where I had to limit it for now. Who knows, maybe once this game has been in motion for a while, I'll consider whether more would be feasible. No promises though, we'll have to see. So, with congratulations to those who made it in, and my sincerest apologies to everyone I can't take, the initial characters accepted into Pirate King's Legacy (in no particular order) are:
  • MacTiernan Corbeaux, played by ogamodyna
  • Varli 'Cuttlefish' Risher, played by HotsuSama
  • Jetsam, played by Birched
  • Moemoe Terriau, played by Roekahs
  • Hazy, played by Rosemary Red
  • Achilles "Lee" Corzán, played by ariskofrain
Please report to the Scuttlebutt OoC thread in the game forum!

For anyone who didn't get in, feel free to PM me if you'd like more detailed feedback on your final application. I usually do this to help you out for your next application, but honestly, there's a lot less "this is what you can improve in the future" that I'll be able to give you based on the quality of everyone's applications than I'm used to being able to provide at this point in time.