RPXP: 311
ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain
Blood In The Dark

SIGN-UPS NOW CLOSED.

Game Name

Blood In The Dark
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeCrime
FlavourSerious, dramatic, collaborative worldbuilding.
Plot SummaryThe electrical barriers of Doskvol crackle, casting a familiar red glow across the city's rooftops, chimneys, and waterways. Through the morning's smog and the snow of this late winter, one could almost mistake the stillness for peace. Behind doors, in alleys, and in shadow, Doskvol buzzes. To the wanting, this hidden layer of the city proves the hope of escape. To wish for more, is easy, but to get it? It's going to take blood.

-

This game is going to be using John Harper's Blades In The Dark. You can find the SRD for the freely available full rules at the BitD website, here, and look at the character sheets and rules reference here. If you have any questions about the system, please don't hesitate to ask.

-

As a GM, there are things that are important to me. Consent, and a sense of shared agency are a big deal to me, so I expect everyone, myself included, to engage in a spirit of honesty and true collaboration. I'm not bringing "gotchas", I'm not hosting private one-on-one conversations for things only one character should know, and if there is something you don't want to be part of the game, then it isn't going to come up. We're telling a story together, so we can enjoy dramatic irony, and knowing better than the characters do. If this not a style you're interested in, that's absolutely fine, and there's plenty of games on RPGx that'll suit you.

-

In terms of setting, I much prefer that the setting is informed by the group and what we're interested in exploring. As such, I'm going to be asking the players who want to be involved to bring creative energy to the process - come with places, people, and stuff to fill the world of this campaign that gets you excited. There's topics that are interesting to me right now, that I'm going to want to talk about - relationships of power, getting out of bad situations, hope and faith - that are certainly going to come up, so if you're bringing concepts that align with exploring that, I will love you all the more for it.

-

As a note for content in Blades, as written:
- There is violence, blood, guns and weaponry, and death.
- There are "traumas", conditions your character can take - how they come up in play is completely up to the player. Some do have parallels to real life mental illness, such as PTSD and paranoia. I will be expecting players to be able to cover that content sensitively, should it come up.
- There are supernatural forces; ghosts, demons, demonic rituals, and all of those trappings.
- There are corrupt police forces. This campaign's version of the city guard will be the Redjackets, an even more amped-up and fascistic version of the Blue Coats as written in the book. There's imprisonment, and abuses of power.

If you're interested in playing, please let me know, publicly or privately, if there is content you would like to avoid completely, or avoid showing "on screen". The content to avoid or fade-to-black on is something that I'll be expecting the players chosen to adhere to, and to be mindful of what things, even if not explicitly brought up, could be uncomfortable or triggering content for others. I want to be able to dig in pretty hard with some of the violence and themes, but that's only going to work if everyone feels safe enough and trusts each other to be able to go to those places.

-

So that's it for me, I think! For you, the players, let me know which of the playbooks that speaks to you (Cutter/Hound/Leech/Lurk/Slide/Spider/Whisper), and what gang types you're interested in (Assassins/Bravos/Cult/Hawkers/Shadows/Smugglers). Importantly, I'd also like to hear what you'd be interested in exploring with this setting, and if there's a few people who've got some interests in common, I'll start planning the game. Experience with Blades is not an expectation of mine, but you'll get the most out of it if you're willing to engage with the mechanics - that doesn't mean memorizing the book, but a little reading would be appreciated.

In terms of posting, I'm aiming to have main game posts 3 times a week or so - but also besides that, additional OOC posts as necessary to set stakes for rolls, to check when characters are pushing themselves, accepting help, accepting Devil's Bargains, and so forth, just Blades' specific gameplay stuff that requires a little negotiation in play, but wouldn't be any more than 1 or 2 lines, just clarifications.

Thank you for your time, and look forward to hearing from you all.

Character Applications
PlayerCharacterPlaybookCrew InputStatus
Atalla Wanderer-Spider-Posted Interest
Howling Winds ofMara Karmera AKA MistLurkShadows/Assassins/HawkersIN
GarrettqAhmedCutterHawkers/Shadows/BravosIN
Chylopan---Posted Interest
AlphaeusAltaerCutterAssassins/HawkersIN
Beez-Leech/SpiderAssassins/Cult/ShadowsPosted Interest
AcathalaAramis de LuneSlideNot Cult or BravosIN
SebDarlingMartyn LlywelynWhisper-Posted Interest

Last edited by ariskofrain; 05-30-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:06 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 401
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
Posting interest.

Question: are you willing to accept players new to Blades in the Dark as a whole? I'm very familiar with tabletop RPGs and roleplaying in general, but this particular system would be quite different than that which I am accustomed to. For reference, I know mainly D&D, WH40K (and Fantasy), as well Shadowrun.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:09 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chylopan View Post
Posting interest.

Question: are you willing to accept players new to Blades in the Dark as a whole? I'm very familiar with tabletop RPGs and roleplaying in general, but this particular system would be quite different than that which I am accustomed to. For reference, I know mainly D&D, WH40K (and Fantasy), as well Shadowrun.
Yes, absolutely, and I'll amend the post to add that - if you're new to Blades, that's great. I'm happy to lead folks through character creation, rolling, the general flow of the game, whatever they need. I would encourage people to engage with the mechanics, as they are really fun, and it's where a lot of great narrative comes from, is the interaction of the mechanics with the fiction. Thank you!
Old 05-04-2020, 07:24 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 401
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariskofrain View Post
Clip
Alright, cool deal.

I'm going to ATTEMPT to roll a character and familiarize myself with the rules.
Old 05-04-2020, 07:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1946
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Also Posting Interest. I'm finding more and more that gritty, violent, dark settings are appealing to me. I, also, am completely new to Blades, but if it's anything like Powered By The Apocalypse (mechanically or otherwise) I think I'll fit right in.

Will see what I can do about rolling something up.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:03 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 171
Sir Grindsalot Sir Grindsalot
1. Post rate? I'm sorry if I do not see it, and the rate of play makes even the most engaging notions about as interesting as a dial tone. Am I the only one that ends up drooling on my keyboard here?
2. The number of players? Impacts post rate; to be blunt, thus far, it's the same on this site as elsewhere, and why not?

Gaming is now talking about gaming, instead of playing the game. I'd love to be proven wrong.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:20 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Okay, after having had a brief look at alot of information what most interest me, as of right now, are:

1): Lurk/Shadows: I feel like each playbook is meant to be specifically tied to a particular crew. Now, this may be just my interpretation of things, but it certainly seems like this combo goes together. Lurk could also work with Hawkers, I suppose.

2) Leech/Cult: Again, this seems like a really good combo. I absolutely love the idea that the book is clearly going for. I do think though, that Leech would struggle in other crews who are less arcane oriented. A second option might be Hawkers maybe?

3) This gives me serious Shadowrun vibes. The planning, the stealth, the rolls for many different things! I really dig it! This game seems to require alot of coordination between PCs though.

4) Question time: Obviously the ultimate goal of the overall game is to tell a tory, but what is the PCs' ultimate goal? It just seems like a lot of skullduggary for...not much unless your a Hawker, that is.

These are just my initial observations.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:56 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I've added posting amount to the initial post, thanks Grinds. Player number is going to vary wildly based on how many people are interested, but I'm aiming on 3-4 PCs, potentially with two groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Winds of View Post
<snip>
1. There is sort-of a tie, yes, but every playbook works with every crew type, to be sure. In my ongoing real-time campaign, it's a group of smugglers that have a Hound in the party, for example. With the open world, plan-a-heist style, you can almost always find a way to solve the mission you're on by killing someone, by sneaking around, by blowing something up, etc.

2. For full honesty, Cult is maybe about the only crew type I haven't ran for. I think it's extremely distinct from the other crew types, in ways that are pretty good. The thing that I think is different for it, is a goal for the crew, right? Assassins kill people, Hawkers sell access to vices, but Cults are following a God or Gods, and there isn't a defined, like, What God Wants. Which could be interesting, y'know - what does God want? Do they actively give commandments? But it's that stuff that we'd have to work out to have that crew have something to do in play. Not bad, just a lot more player-directed from the jump, I think.

3. It's Shadowrun-y! And I'm sort of disappointed by the current cyberpunk hacks of this, because I think there's scope for a lot more. In terms of co-ordination, Blades actually takes a lot off the front of a mission - for planning a mission, you choose your approach and a detail about that approach. So, you're breaking in - where are you breaking in? You're moving cargo - what's the route and how are you moving it? That's basically all the detail you need to get started, all the other aspects of the mission can be worked out in play, or by using flashbacks. Flashbacks are great, and it means you don't need to spend pages and pages planning - you can just jump in, and if we need to jump back and have a scene about setting something up, we only do that when it's relevant. It's neat!

4. PC's ultimate goals are obviously going to be informed by the characters themselves, but essentially, it's goals to do with money, or to do with power, and getting enough of it. Some players I've ran for are more than happy to be playing a character that is just a criminal, doing crime stuff. You can also push towards specific goals - taking over territory, increasing your crew to include larger and larger numbers, where you become more kingpin-esque figures. The other one is making enough money and stashing it away so that your character can get out of the game, retire and be happy. The sandbox nature also means there can be things in the world that characters want to be involved with - ultimate goals to take over another group, say, or to get involved in events of the world, and larger machinations, like overthrowing a council, or a prison. In the rules, check out Downtime, and Long-Term Project for how some of that works. Good question though!
Old 05-05-2020, 07:33 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for all the info! I will a bit more at the Downtime and Long Term Projects! I noticed the planning stuff and thought well finally someone looked at Shadowrun and went...there's way way too many rolls there and streamlined it. I am absolutely digging the setting you've cleared it up alot for me!

I'm all for player coordination and working together. I get the sense that everyone (player and character) needs to be invested in the world, hence the collaborative world building aspect of the system. The thought being that if we build it together, we'll all care about it more they have to have some skin in the game, somehting to lose or win essentially.

on Cult I absolutely see where you're coming from. Another question that comes to mind is: what happens if you displease your God? as the playbook says Gods goals aren't really known to the players, the GM decides those! or something similar. Does God expose you? Does God punish your cult in some way? I'ts really interesting. Maybe more suited to IRL tabletop?

Anyway, I hink I'm going to see if I can roll up a Lurk. The idea of sneaking around, Solid Snake/SamFisher style just really appeals to me! My Crew of choice: Shadows.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
on Cult I absolutely see where you're coming from. Another question that comes to mind is: what happens if you displease your God? as the playbook says Gods goals aren't really known to the players, the GM decides those! or something similar. Does God expose you? Does God punish your cult in some way? I'ts really interesting. Maybe more suited to IRL tabletop?
I would thing it's just as cool for PBP - I would love for the players who are interested in Gods to talk with me about what they think in OOC, and just have it happen in play, y'know? That excites me, for sure.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Application - Lurk
right-aligned image
W.I.P.
Name: Alena "Mist" Karmera
Playbook: Lurk
Crew Input: Shadows, Assassins, Hawkers
Appearance: She wears a heavy coat that is blackened by many layers of soot, direct, ad the general grime of the city. Underneath her coat, which conceals either pistol, a knife and a bandoleer full of her tools needed for the specific job.

Insight
Hunt: 1
Study: 0
As I grew older, I learned to scope out the area first, then steal from my target later.Survey: 1
Tinker: 0

Prowess
Finesse: 1
Prowl: 2
my first few dealings in a gang taught me taht you have to fight for what you want, even if it's up close and personalSkirmish: 1
Wreck: 0

Resolve
Attune: 0
Command: 0
Consort: 1
Sway: 0

Vice: Obligation. Roselyn and Mara like her, are members of The Order of The Ancient Snow. A "charitable organization" which offers id to any Skovan
Heritage and Background (Underworld): Mara will tell anyone who asks that Skovlan is her homeland. A cold, lonely place, her family were dock workers there in Lockport. For as long as she can remember, the city was free. In fact, because the city was so free, a great variety of good came through the city. Which meant, even form an early age, Mara was able to learn subtle ways to open things and sneak into places she was not supposed to. This often got her into trouble with her parents, but her reputation for mischief grew and this lead to a few minor brushes with the Skovland underworld. The more hardened crews absolutley refused to take a kid like her in, for whatever reason.

But, she was able to steal a few things for a visiting noble. Mara slowly gianed the woman's trust over time and eventually, ended up in Duskvol because of her generosity.

Close Friend: Roslyn Kellis, a noble. A woman who Mara owes her life to, and is the main reason she's even in Duskvol. Roselyn seemed to be an easy mark for young Mara, but proved to have far more wisdom than the young thief ever could have imagined. Mara attempted (and failed( to take some jewelery form her one day, and as opposed to just reporting her to the local redjackets (or worse) Roslyn became intrigued. She offered her some small jobs; stealing things back from other nobles or just moving small packages here and there. When the Imperials made one last charge, Roselyn seemed to foresee what might happen and left for Duskvol; bringing Mara along with her. Not as an official family member more of guest or trstued friend sort of role. Roselyn now acts as Mara's family.

Rival:Darmot, a redjacket; she's not sure where he first caught wind of her activities, but Darmot has been a constant source of irritation throughout her life. He's almost caught her a few times, with threats to send her to prision, but as of yet, he remains a figure in the bakcground, but one she must owrry about constantly. Becuse if he catches her, it's Ironhook for sure.

Last edited by Howling Winds of; 05-30-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:21 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
<SNIP>
Nice! Which of the Lurk special abilities would you want to take?

Last edited by ariskofrain; 05-06-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:08 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I'm going to take Infiltrator, foor the sheer utility of it.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:54 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19944
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Blades in the Dark is amazing. I've played it as a convention game. I've poured over actual plays and the book for hours on end. I highly recommend anyone who is on the fence give this game a run. It's rule-lite enough to not be intimidating but crunchy enough to keep your dice busy. This game does beautifully what Shadowrun has been trying to do for ages. Strip out the planning and jump into the action, with mechanics for how the plan went wrong and what you did to account for it already incorporated. Truly, one of the best systems I have ever seen. I am furious that my game load is as heavy as it is right now, not that I could maintain a post rate like this even when I had a light roster.

Seriously, if you like heist drama with a pseudo-industrial/steampunkish aesthetic this game will rock your socks. If you're interested in a window of how it plays, the Magpies podcast is one of the best examples I've listened to.

I definitely want this game to get enough players so I can watch it play out.

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 05-07-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:07 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 171
Sir Grindsalot Sir Grindsalot
What if the plan doesn't go wrong?