RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-07-2020, 02:23 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19755
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Grindsalot View Post
What if the plan doesn't go wrong?

The plan always goes wrong, it's just a matter of degrees. In no heist tale has it ever been the interesting choice for things to just work out perfectly. Conflict is the impetus of story.

As a window, any heist begins with an engagement roll of varying complexity based on the factors that work for and against you. Could be one die, could be three. Regardless, a full success on that roll means everything went swimmingly...up to a point. You've overcome some initial obstacles and you're in a good position at the start of the scene. Great!

More likely, things went a little wrong. Something unexpected happened on a partial success. There was a guard you didn't plan for, or the door you were going to use is locked. Now you have to overcome that obstacle, but that's just expected in the life of a scoundrel such as yourself. You're in an average situation here.

Also likely, something bad happened. You were caught picking a lock and now there is a guard with a gun in his hand. Someone slipped while scaling the wall and now they've got a twisted ankle. Not a great position to start in, but life is only fun when the complications add up.

Things not going your way? Well, good thing you're competent at this whole crime thing. (The game specifically points this out, btw, and notes that bad dice rolls indicate the result of complicating factors and not your character just being an idiot). You probably planned for this very complication. Let's flashback to that point when you 'borrowed' the building plans from the city office, shall we? Flashbacks, such a thematic and beautiful choice.

Anyways, I'm not here to hijack the ad thread. The system is sweet, sweet ambrosia and everyone on the site should absolutely play it. We should have a hundred games of BitD running at all times. If all my games combust in a conflagration of Great Chicago Fire magnitude, maybe I'll hop aboard one myself.

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 05-07-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:30 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 171
Sir Grindsalot Sir Grindsalot
Disregard; I'm out.

Take care.

Please delete my account. ("Contact us" doesn't work, and I didn't see any means of doing so myself)
Old 05-07-2020, 03:16 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1901
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
While I have no doubt that PCB would come up with an amazing character for this game, the posting rate for this (I realize it's estimated) is still a bit yikes for me. Still interested and still going to keep my open (because I started it, after all) but I will keep one eye on this one, for sure.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:01 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 311
ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain
I agree with PCB: we should absolutely have a hundred games of BitD running at all times. However, for now, I will settle for one. hah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howling Winds of View Post
While I have no doubt that PCB would come up with an amazing character for this game, the posting rate for this (I realize it's estimated) is still a bit yikes for me. Still interested and still going to keep my open (because I started it, after all) but I will keep one eye on this one, for sure.
I mean, to be clear, with this system, some of those posts will be, "would sprinting turn this from being a risky situation with a standard outcome to a desperate one with a great outcome", or things of that nature, so not every post is going to be straight-up prose, yaknow. But I get your concern, and truly, I don't mind sitting back and letting things take time if they need to.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:46 AM
I'm your huckleberry

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10646
Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs Roekahs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureBard View Post
Anyways, I'm not here to hijack the ad thread. The system is sweet, sweet ambrosia and everyone on the site should absolutely play it. We should have a hundred games of BitD running at all times. If all my games combust in a conflagration of Great Chicago Fire magnitude, maybe I'll hop aboard one myself.
BitD is a very unique system for PBP too. The flashback mechanic saves so many PBP headaches because you don't need those long OOC discussions just to plan and figure out what you wanted to buy, or that entire chapter dedicated to reconnaissance, you just get right into playing it out! I second PCB's stance 100% and would be in so fast if my game load wasn't brimming over and starting to sputter in the fire below
Old 05-08-2020, 05:43 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14258
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
As far as character creation goes, is something like Cutter an archetype a la Pathfinder, or is it just a pre-generated option, and then our own selection of Special Abilities will create a character with a unique name, from which we'd generate a character sheet?

Or am I entirely confused?
Old 05-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalla Wand
Or am I entirely confused?
Well you're not a million miles off. Choosing a playbook (see this link for what the playbooks look like) set certain things for your character.

- 3 Action rating dots are set from the jump when you pick a playbook. You get to pick 4 more after that, so you're not locked to something totally specific.
- Playbook specific skills - of a list of 8, you pick one to begin. Because of the combination of the skills and flexible action ratings, multiple people can have the same playbook, and still have very distinct flavours and roles in the team.

That's the key differences when picking a playbook, but they also have distinct lists of playbook specific items, and slightly different mechanics for gaining xp.

Best place to check out is the Player's Kit PDFs (link will open a download)
Old 05-08-2020, 06:58 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Okay, so I'd get one of the 8 special abilities? and I'd get to put some dots down on the Insight/Prowess/Resolve area. Then with the load, do I get to choose from those listed and just get them, or will I be paying for them?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	painforrain1.PNG
Views:	83
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	84465  
Old 05-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalla Wanderer View Post
Okay, so I'd get one of the 8 special abilities? and I'd get to put some dots down on the Insight/Prowess/Resolve area. Then with the load, do I get to choose from those listed and just get them, or will I be paying for them?
The dots go into Hunt, Study, etc. The little bars next to Insight/Prowess/Resolve are for XP!

For load - and this is once again a very cool Blades Thing - at the start of each mission, or Score as Blades calls it, you pick light, medium or heavy load. Then, if you need to have something on a mission, you declare it as and when it comes up - so you don't pick any specific items ahead of time, but instead, it's like you planned ahead and brought just what you need, without having to spend ages agonising about which specific items you packed! it's similar to flashbacks in that regard.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1901
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
A very cool feature indded! As I said, it looks like the author took one look at other games and said, "How can we make less more cool and less crunchy?" Love it!
Old 05-09-2020, 09:43 AM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
Placeholder for.... a spider, I think.

Last edited by Atalla Wanderer; 05-10-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:13 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 303
Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq
Interest, I'd play a whisper I think, and I'd vote for being either hawkers or a cult.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:30 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 387
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
So, if I'm not mistaken, you can create a custom playbook. Right?
Old 05-09-2020, 03:59 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chylopan View Post
So, if I'm not mistaken, you can create a custom playbook. Right?
You absolutely can! I would love to hear what you had in mind for a custom playbook.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:36 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 303
Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq
Well I've read about as much as I can read in one day of this book, question for the DM.

Can I get a little more detail about what society in Iruvia(the persian/middle eastern culture) and tycheros(place with the part demon people) are like? Is that for us to decide, you as the gm to decide, or am I gonna find more info about them somewhere in the book? From what I've read I definitely want to play someone who's from one or the other who moved to Doskvol very young, like as a toddler.

Last edited by Garrettq; 05-10-2020 at 12:36 AM.