twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-10-2020, 12:05 AM
Get Stung

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1820
Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez
Posting intent to apply. I need to actually look into the playbooks, but this is one I've been meaning to play for a while now.

RL Wizard
Aspiring Grey Gear
Old 05-10-2020, 09:11 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 311
ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain ariskofrain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettq View Post
Can I get a little more detail about what society in Iruvia(the persian/middle eastern culture) and tycheros(place with the part demon people) are like? Is that for us to decide, you as the gm to decide, or am I gonna find more info about them somewhere in the book?
The info for the setting in the book, it's quite laconic, and I'm not super interested in - specifically the heritage stuff, I'd much rather you told me, because part of your heritage and background is that if you can demonstrate that during play for your character, you get to mark xp for it. So, if it's something you actually feel invested in, and something that can be part of your characterisation, that'll be better for the story and for your character!

Last edited by ariskofrain; 05-10-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:42 AM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14258
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
There's the wiki I searched up on the web that talks about the districts of the city, and that's been really helping me get more invested in the world and think about the character I want the play - I've made leaps and bounds from "posting interest" getting into the mindset of the character I want to apply as since then - grounding them in the world, ya know? A cursory google search should get you there, Beez.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 353
Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq Garrettq
Alright awesome, as long as I know I can basically make it up myself I'm happy, that was honestly my best case scenario. I'll have an app up soon.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1927
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariskofrain View Post
The info for the setting in the book, it's quite laconic, and I'm not super interested in - specifically the heritage stuff, I'd much rather you told me, because part of your heritage and background is that if you can demonstrate that during play for your character, you get to mark xp for it. So, if it's something you actually feel invested in, and something that can be part of your characterisation, that'll be better for the story and for your character!
The heritage stuff is interesting, but ultimately, for me, a little confusing. I get the whole if it works for your character in the situation, mark xp for it and I'm all for that! I think making it up as we go along, tha'ts great!
Old 05-10-2020, 09:09 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I'll start with the whole, 'what I'm looking for in this game' question so I don't forget. Really I just want that classic gangster movie feel, rags to riches, rising in power, you get the idea. Beyond that I don't care so much about how the game style goes, as long as it captures that feel. I vote hawkers, assassins, or shadows, in that order.

AhmedName: Ahmed.
Playbook: Cutter(Ghost fighter perk)
Friend: Mertel, I consider just about everyone in that squat I grew up in my family, but he's the one who patched me up and encouraged me every time I got stomped down. He's also the only reason I know jack about my homeland.
Rival: Burt, he would be just about the only person I grew up with I wouldn't stick my neck out for. He's a scary bloke, and he's gone out of his way to mess with me since we were kids. Specifically since I released that rat he was torturing.

Insight
Hunt: 0
Study: 0
Survey: 0
Tinker: 0

Prowess
Finesse: 1
Prowl: 1
Skirmish: 2
Wreck: 0

Resolve
Attune: 2
Command: 1
Consort: 0
Sway: 0

Heritage: I assume I was born in Duskvol, I've been here as long as I can remember. Apparently I was one of those 'abandoned on the doorstep' kids, can't imagine how that'd work if I was actually from the homeland. Right yeah, I've also known as long as I can remember that I'm Iruvian, gods know plenty of people reminded me growing up. Thankfully I had Mertel, he's the one who assured me that was a good thing. He was actually born back there, lived there tell he was ten or something. People say that's the only reason he took me under his wing, and hell maybe their right, but fact is he's a good guy. Smart as all hells too, he taught me how to conceal a naginata, how to swing it right like they do back home too. Hell he bought me mine. I still remember him taking the entire score from that break in, saying he was gonna invest it. I was so pissed, almost cried when he brought me that big, beautiful blade the next day. Taught me more important stuff too, how to revere the gods, how to live a spiritually pure existence, and how doing so could grant one certain powers that I've made great use of. I owe him so much.

Background(Outlaw): I grew up in a big, derelict building that I'm told was once a proper orphanage. Supposedly the saints running the place died, and the kids turned to sin to survive. Some of us found honest work in the eel farms, some of us liked having all our fingers, decided to do little jobs for the (whatever gang) instead. We were a varied lot but we all worked together. Took care of the younger kids, shared food when someone had a bad haul. We looked out for each other, thinking back, my childhood could have been a lot worse. We only rarely went hungry, winters were hard but the wood stove still worked. Hell the fact some of us were working for the local gangs kept us from being victimized by anyone nefarious, of course I'm sure it helped that we weren't exactly a prize target. Still, worst that I got regularly was being stomped down after getting caught with my hand in a bloke's pocket, and even that ended when Mertel decided I was quick enough with my blade to help with more profitable endeavors. We had a good run together, but he got out, apparently he had been saving his money while I was blowing mine. Bought a little studio, and some supplies to start a medical practice. Been keeping my eyes open for another partner ever since.

Why did you become a scoundrel?
Because I want more then a shack to sleep in and enough foul tasting fungus to stay alive.
Have you ever been locked up? How about friends?
Nah, I've got my ass stomped by the red coats a time or two, because I didn't fight back mind you, but yeah never caught on anything serious enough to actually get hauled away. As for Mertel, well Mertel is real careful, he's never had any trouble from the law.
How did you join this crew?
I assume I was approached for my knowledge of spirits and arcane. I’ve beat up a ghost or two for coin, and I haven’t been secretive about it.
What’s your vice? How does it consume you.
Luxury/pleasure. He's an impulsive fool who just can't keep money in his pocket.
When was the last time you used your blade?
Local gang tossed me some silver to take out a victim of theirs that slipped past the spirit wardens. Easy money.

Last edited by Garrettq; 05-15-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:38 AM
Get Stung

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1820
Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez Beez
Alright, I think I've got a rough idea of my dude. Going for a very nervous buffer, a la my (admittedly very bad, also it's been years) memory of Dollhouse's Topher Brink. Which probably means it's not Topher at all, but that's how these things go. Probably going with either Leech or Spider, seems like AW's going Spider so I'll probably lean Leech. Regarding crew type, I don't have a huge preference, though I lean away from Bravos I think. It just seems too straightforward for me. I rather like Assassins, Cult, and Shadows, though I'd be happy with any of them.

RL Wizard
Aspiring Grey Gear
Old 05-11-2020, 12:14 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Do we have a cut off day for how long your taking applicants? An idea how long until the game will start and you'll decide who to take?

Unrelated, can you kill ghosts with the ghost fighter perk or can they only be restrained? I ask because playing as a cutter I wouldn't have access to those spirit bottle things to capture them.

Last edited by Garrettq; 05-12-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@ Garrettq: I got to say, the concept of a 15 year old that is "whoring" himself out, or as a concession hooked on opiates does not appeal to me. In addition, I'm extremely uncomfortable with the idea of "the primitive", as you've laid it out... "treasures that could earn me followers and wives from our neighbor tribes"? I'm presuming you've made a character around your own age range, but, I am 100% uninterested in having this character be part of the game, even if they weren't 15.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:10 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I appreciate you being straight with me.

Would you believe me if I said the age thing, and how it makes the vices way worse, completely failed to process for me? I was just thinking in general how children worked and crap way younger in this era, and how I wanted him to be a noob on the scene, the whole underage thing didn't even click, lol. I could just switch his vice to family obligation, but since I had a whole other character I was torn on anyway I'll just scrap the whole app. Thinking the same class, maybe a former red sash, probably just an orphan/hoodlum.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:52 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Application is updated, Iruvian orphan with a hunger for money and power!

Last edited by Garrettq; 05-12-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 09:55 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14258
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
Risk, do you mind editing in a table to the first post / advert so we could see who is applying with what. There's a fair amount of folks that like to see where the party balance is leaning and adjust - and this seems like a setting that wouldn't get away with running an all-bard party, if you know what I mean?

You can quote this if you want to nick the formatting:

PlayerCharacterPlaybookCrew InputStatus
Atalla Wanderer Spider Pending

Last edited by Atalla Wanderer; 05-12-2020 at 09:56 PM. Reason: edited to center the table, like a nerd
Old 05-13-2020, 01:09 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalla Wanderer View Post
Risk, do you mind editing in a table to the first post / advert so we could see who is applying with what.
Yeah, no worries, thanks for the reminder & the table! I updated the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettq
Do we have a cut off day for how long your taking applicants? An idea how long until the game will start and you'll decide who to take?
I'm gonna play this by ear a little - I wanna make sure everyone who wants to put an app in gets a chance, so I'm gonna follow Inem's example and give a 1-week warning when I'm gonna close things off. I wanna snag as many players as I can, so, if it does mean splitting the characters into 2 groups and doing them concurrently, I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrettq
Unrelated, can you kill ghosts with the ghost fighter perk or can they only be restrained? I ask because playing as a cutter I wouldn't have access to those spirit bottle things to capture them.
The Ghost Fighter ability would let you try to kill a ghost, absolutely. If you wanted, I'd also let your Cutter start with a spirit bottle (1) instead of one of the other Cutter special items, if restraining them is more your vibe.

This second character pitch is way better, Garrett, thumbs up.

-

@Beez: I like the Topher Brink touchstone! Don't let someone else picking a playbook scare you off - I mentioned elsewhere in the thread, there's a lot of scope for variability with your action ratings and initial special ability.

@Chylopan: If you wanna drop into my DMs and talk custom playbook, you're more than welcome to!
Old 05-13-2020, 06:04 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nah I'll just destroy them, I'm thinking this character is gonna see doing so as helping them pass over to the real afterlife anyway.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:00 PM
LͫOͤRͫDͤ

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4428
Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus Alphaeus
Altaer
Case File, Summary Page 1
Name: Altaer
Appearance: 6’ | 200 lbs. | Black Hair, short | Dark green-brown eyes | Rugged but not rough features | Massive battered leather duster | “work” style clothes.
Playbook: Cutter
Heritage: Tycheros
Background: Underworld
Vice: Weird
Crew Preference: Assassin | Hawker
Character Sheet: Full file Note: We can adjust this somewhat as needed.

Interview One, “Mercy”

Interview Two, “Sawtooth”

OoooOOOoooo Secrets! (And Some Not)
In this game, I'm looking really for a chance to play around with the whole criminal underbelly feel. The struggle to find footing in a dystopian society. As an additional theme, I love exploring concepts of right and wrong in a setting where they aren't necessarily that easy to define.

Last edited by Alphaeus; 05-13-2020 at 07:10 PM.