Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 253
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
Magic Art Online

Game NameMagic Art Online
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemePlayers in a game dealing with Real life and Game life and their side-effects.
FlavourOther-dimensional, fantasy, modern, gamer-drama
Plot Summary
right-aligned image

It has been five years since the disasater of Sword Art Online and just as long since The Seed program was launched, allowing for game designers to create their own VR worlds to play and enjoy. Amushpere and other FullDive gear systems have been wildly distributed all over the world.

In the multitude of VRMMORPG's out there in The Seed, you are a player of Magic Art Online, A game world reminiscent of the old Sword Art Online except a world comprised of warriors who utilize magic in all forms for combat. Through a game system that mimics the magic use in Alfheim, it takes it to another level. The game focuses on a multi-leveled tower with many floors with their own biomes and conditions filled with all kinds of monsters for players to battle including floor bosses to defeat before advancing to the next, more difficult floor.

Luckily, unlike the original SAO, players are able to come and go as they please and are encouraged to do so since each character's 'Spell slots' replenish after a period of time logged off the game, usually a matter of hours to signify 'A long rest'.
You are a consistent player, even having gone as far as to make three online friends that you hang out with daily, each of you taking your valuable free time and enjoying it together in the game.

As per usual, you have each reached your luxury period of the day and are preparing to go home and log on the games. Tonight is especially exciting because since you all just reached level five, you can now leave the 'Starter area' and enter the swamps that skirt the bottom of the Tower with a moderate amount of confidence that you'll survive.

Details:
-Players: 4 total
-Game system: 5e DnD for the most part.
-Classes and races: Your avatar can be any race in the handbook and any class with spellcasting abilities at level 5
-Stats will be standard array.
-Your characters will be level 5, MOA starts characters at level 1 so not every class starts out with magic but you have been playing for a bit with your online friends and magic has become an integral part of every character, regardless of class.
-Please ask questions, It's my first game and I'm sure I haven't covered everything.
>Deadline: Soft May 23rd-ish

Applications:
You're applications will have two parts:
Avatar: This is the character that all four players know about, the character you play in MAO, Possessing their own backstory, or at least an idea of who/what they are about.
Picture: a picture to represent the character, not too big, not too small.
Name:
Race:
Class: Class plus their magical paths
Background: Per the handbook
Concept: Your character's story or general idea.

Player: This is the player behind the character, the person with real life issues to handle when they aren't playing the game. This section will be in a secret message to me except for parts that the other players might know about, including the picture since their online friends might not know this person. Everybody on an online game has different limits to sharing of personal RL information.
Picture: Sizable picture to represent, Not too big, not too small
Name:
Backstory: What made them what they are today?
RP Sample: Give me a glimpse into their daily life, School, work, game, whatever.

Bethany Demonic Warlock
Eira Lightgard Eldritch Knight Fighter
uset Rainheart Bard of Lore
Kalli Heyes Bard of Eloquence
Sayola Circle of the Stars Druid
Haldane Soran Oath of the Ancients Paladin
Umi Lightbrand Oath of Vengeance Paladin
Portia Highhill Divination Wizard
Mortimer Grave Cleric

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 05-21-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 01:56 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1378
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
left-aligned image

Race: Half-Drow
Class: Demonic Warlock 5 (Balaar the Betrayer)
Background: Spy

Concept: Beautiful, hedonistic, evil only when necessary (well, expedient anyway). Raised above ground as an agent for the House of the Basilisk, Bethany was sold by the house to a demon at puberty and trained in the arts of pain and seduction. Fortunately for her, her demonic patron does not keep her at constant beck and call but encourages her to seek out interesting information and treasure to make her a more powerful and useful thrall. And thus she was able to take on the identity of an adventurer for hire in the Magic Art Online.

right-aligned image
Contact(s) "The House of the Basilisk." taken from description of House Medani in Eberron

The House of the Basilisk is known as the smallest and one of the youngest of the great houses. However, despite its size and age, its members are seemingly everywhere, working as operatives in various fields such as guards, researchers, advisers, inquisitives and spy-catchers.

"Let the other houses bluster and call us 'upstart.' When they realise we hold the keys that can release the secrets of the Five Nations, they will learn respect." -Baron Trelib d'Medani, patriarch of the House of the Basilisk.

Player: Liz Markley
right-aligned image

Backstory: Widowed with two kids, I started working in the office of a roofing company, eventually managing the office. After the kids grew up and moved out, I started dating Sal who was a teacher at State University of New York at Albany (now teacher emeritus which means he only teaches about one day a week) and a former trombonist for the Marine Corp band. We live in upstate New York where if it isn't raining, it's snowing, and I now teach Communications and Remedial Writing. I'm not worried about keeping my personal life secret, if anything I overshare! I'm a good listener, though, and have made friends (mainly phone and social media) with a number of my gaming buddies.

RP Sample: Facebook post 5-10-20
Quote:
Hot Flashes! They suck and Sal likes to keep the house hot since he gets cold easily.

Last night at bridge, I was sweating both literally and figuratively. I was playing with Dana when she had a major senior moment! LOL. She opened a no trump and with 6 spades, decent support and only a singleton heart, I transferred to 4 hearts. No brainer, right? She says 4NT! I try 5 spades to say we aren't going anywhere (after all, how can I have 3 aces if she opened a no trump, right?) and she says 6 spades! Opps double of course, they know there was a screw up. Not a zero! Down three doubled non-vulnerable for 500 and we get 8% for the hand. Who else pulled that stunt is what I want to know? She apologized and it's not like I've never done anything like that so we are good.

Playing Magic Art tonight, I'll be on after dinner so look for me around 7PM. I'll be there wearing sexy leathers so you boys keep your tongues in. Love you all.

P.S. Zee, give me a call first if you are going to be on tonight.

Last edited by penbeast0; 05-10-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:37 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@penbeast: Glad to see the first submission to my first game! Thank you so much! Remember to keep any of the 'Player' information that they wouldn't have shared with the other 'Players' in a secret tag.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Will do. That's why I put in the "not worried about keeping my personal life secret" line. Her life is generally an open book except for things people tell her in confidence and stuff that is too embarrassing to talk about (and since she will go into detail about her hot flashes and medical conditions, how much of that can there be?).
Old 05-07-2020, 05:17 PM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 968
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
Is there anything race wise that isn't allowed? Before I start looking at ideas.

Last edited by Herb; 05-07-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:37 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@Herb: I would like to stick to the PHB since it's the only reference material I have on hand.
And @penbeast: If you plan on using a off-the-wall race or class, please link me where you found it.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 05-07-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
My apologies. I hadn't noticed that you were limited it to Players Handbook races. I think Yuan-ti as PCs comes from Yolo's Guide to Monsters. Just one of those races that I've seen here a lot, like Goliaths or Tabaxi and reading your post, something sparked a connection.

Could probably go Drow/half-drow Warlock for the same sort of Avatar vibe while still staying within the context of the PHB. Let me work on it a bit.

Last edited by penbeast0; 05-07-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:08 AM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 968
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
Just sent you a link to the race/archtype I was contemplating Hal...along with the full link to the SRD for 5th Edition

But ill have a re-think of my idea ..
Old 05-08-2020, 07:42 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1053
gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38 gavins38
left-aligned image

Name: Eira Lightgard

Race: Human

Class: Fighter - Eldritch Knight

Background: Noble

Concept: Eira is the youngest daughter of the Lightgard family. Her family line are descendents of one of the original Gods and each generation has been tasked with defending the many realms against threats from the powerful forces of evil. While her father and older brothers are all skilled warriors who have mastered the magical arts, Eira has only just come into adulthood and begun to feel the first twinges of her magical potential. As a part of their 'coming of age' ritual, each new family member must travel to one of the realms under their protection and prove themselves worthy of being granted access to the full array of powers of their patron.

Player
Gamer Tag (public): Zee

Otto Berrytwist in The Dragon of Icespire Peak | Galdriel Torric in ARGH, Lost my mine in Phandelver... | Jeremy "Remy" Von Stein - In the Court of the Blind Matron | Eira Lightgard in Magic Art Online
DM:
A Crack in the Dome
Old 05-08-2020, 09:15 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 935
Fatgunn Fatgunn Fatgunn Fatgunn Fatgunn Fatgunn Fatgunn Fatgunn
right-aligned image

Name: Teek Xiivaharroc
Race: Dragonborn
Class: Cleric—Tempest Domain
Background: Sailor
Concept: The son of a fisherman, Teek spent his early life amidst the waves. There he saw the fury and power of the sea firsthand. This witnessing became reverence and eventually worship. One day amidst his venerations he felt the strength of the storm coalesce within him, and with it an urge to set forth. Now he wanders across the land like a cyclone, spreading awe of the Tempest.

Player

Last edited by Fatgunn; 05-08-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:04 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 360
swangrace swangrace swangrace swangrace
left-aligned image

Name: Uset Rainheart

Race: Lightfoot Halfling

Class: Bard- College of Lore

Background: Charlatan

Concept: Uset is perfectly fine with letting her sweet face and voice fool you out of a few coins. No one ever suspects the cute halfling of running a con. Her small stature also is perfect for getting in out and out of tight spaces quickly and effectively. She has no qualms being the skill monkey of the group.

Player
Gamer Tag (public): CuteKitten

Old 05-09-2020, 06:30 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I have added a couple general guilds to build off of if need be. There can also be any number of Roleplaying/otherwise guilds in MAO that the players can use as former contacts.

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; 05-09-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:07 AM
Kat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5915
Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy Krazy
Seems like a fun concept. Do you have a deadline in mind for applications?
Old 05-10-2020, 05:21 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I would like to wait and see what kind of interest I get so I have a decent selection of players so I have no deadline as of now.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:35 PM
Chaos Elf Fun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1461
Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla
Wip