RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 05-14-2020, 11:29 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4778
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Seas of Fortune

CampaignFortune of the Seas
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeFairly open-world game, set in custom realms, with a bit of everything!
FlavourEpic fantasy with a gritty edge- think along the lines of Lord of the Rings in scope, although with more magic.
Plot SummaryI’m looking for a group of 4-6 players to take on a seafaring adventure that will include seafaring and land based excursions into discovered and undiscovered lands seeking fame and fortune.

You are part of a small group of adventurers who have been hired by a dwarven ships Captain intent, on exploring uncharted waters expanding his knowledge of what awaits in the distant seas, hoping to create new maps, and discover new trade routes. Or course in the process making his fortune on the seas.

I’ll be running this game from custom maps found online that I feel fit the campaign. This adventure will have opportunities for almost every kind of player: everything from dungeon crawls to diplomacy, warfare to infiltration, and just about everything in between!

As for posting rate, I'll usually be posting at least 2 times per week, typically more. For players, I'd appreciate a commitment to be able to post at least twice a week- you're welcome to post more, but I think that 2 per week should be a reasonable baseline to make sure the game keeps moving without leaving anyone behind.

House RulesFor this game, I’m aiming for a bit of gritty realism in the form of slowed healing, injuries and infections, and some penalties around reaching 0 hit points and/or dying. I’ve never liked the way 5e handles such things, (Healing Word and a long rest, and you’re golden!), so I’m trying out some house rules to help add a more realistic feel.

ApplicationsTo apply to this game, please post on this thread no later than 11:59 AM (Noon) EST, May 30th. A character sheet is NOT required to apply… but with that said, if you’d like to create one and link it in your post, then feel free to! Characters will all be starting at 1st level, I’d like to see:

Name: Pretty straightforward- what’s your character’s name?
Image: Provide a visual representation of your character.
Race: Anything from PHB, and or Volo’s minus the triton is fair game. I would prefer not to have a crew full of Triton’s, part of a sea faring adventure should be the threat on ship wrecks and such. I’m willing to consider a possible single triton and races from other official, published sources on a case by case basis- PM me if you’d like to pitch an idea for a character of a more exotic race!
Alignment: Your character's alignment.
Class: Again, fairly straightforward. If you choose a subclass or plan to choose a subclass provide it here. Any official, published class/subclass is all right, and I'll consider UA on a case-by-case basis- once again, PM me if you have an idea you'd like to try!
Description: Describe your character’s appearance and personality! What do they look like? How do they act? Do they have any particular habits or customs? How do they dress and talk?
Personality:This is where you have the chance to really bring your character to life, and make them a real person with their own motivations, desires, traits, and quirks!
Background: Provide several paragraphs detailing your characters , I am looking for good story hooks that can result in game, be they good or bad. Quality is more important than quantity you are free to write as long of a background as you desire, if it exceeds a few paragraphs though please place it in a spoiler button. If you do I promise to put in the effort to read it. I’m really looking for is some opportunities to bring in people, decisions, and events from your character’s past.
Background Selection:
Personality Traits:
Ideal:
Bond:
Flaw:
Roleplaying Sample: I would like each of you to provide a couple paragraph sample of your writing in relation to the character you are creating for this game.

Starting LocationCharacters will begin play in Porta on the following map. However you may be from any location on the map. There will be additional maps as the party sets forth on their explorations that will be added later.

Questions?Feel free to ask any questions you like! You're welcome to post questions in this thread, or PM me. I'll add whatever you all ask in this section so others can see it!

User Character Race and Class Status
Drachenspirit Kathwed Rheiha Human Sorceress - Sea Sorcery Complete
Herb Valignant Lizardfolk Monk - Pyrokine Tradition Complete
Shaede Ellesh Wizard - Abjurer Complete
Penbeast0 Dagoo "Stubb" Tashtego Human (Variant) - Barbarian - Totem Complete
Selini Aleah Shifter (Swiftstrider) - Druid (Circle of Dreams) Complete
Reliq0770 Tinn-Tinn aka Teddy Bugbear - Arcane Trikster Complete
mjb Martin Brodrickson Protector Aasimar - Cleric - Life Complete
Dirty Magic Apsidee Shaninjer (Tzinwar) Half Elf - Rogue (probably swashbuckler Complete
Kaylara Princess Mira Water GEnasi - Cleric Complete
GoombaJosh Joseph Rogerson Human (Variant) - Fighter (Eldritch Knight) Complete
Swangrace Aila Xyrsalor Elf Wizard - Bladesinger Complete
Alemar Durenal "Ren" Coppervein Dwarf Bard - Valor Complete
Saratek Clio Merfolk Warlock - Celestial Complete

Last edited by JaredSyn; 05-23-2020 at 08:00 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13513
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Application
left-aligned image
Name: Kathwed Rheiha

Race: Human

Alignment: CG

Class: Sorcerer -Sea Sorcery

Background Selection: Sailor/Pirate

Personality Traits: 1) I work hard so that I can play hard when the work is done. 2) I begin or end my day with small traditional rituals that are unfamiliar to those around me.
Ideal: The sea is freedom - the freedom to go anywhere and do anything.
Bond: I was cheated out of my fair share of the profits, and I want to get my due.
Flaw: I can't help but pocket loose coins and other trinkets I come across.

Background/History: You could say that Kath loves the sea, but she'd say the Sea loves her; "Touched by it", is actually what she'd say if serious. She has been sailing since an early age and the sea has been speaking to her as long as she can remember. What does it say? Here I am, adventure awaits. And so, that's what drives her, adventure on and off the sea, though she prefers the latter.
She was born near Jaras where her family are part owners in a orchard and winery cooperative. Always looking to establish new markets for their grapes and wine, she went along on voyages to do just that from an early age. There's no story of loss and tragedy between then and now, merely one young lady's delve into a life on the sea and taking up with Pirates. What few know is that the Goddess of the sea, or so she believes, reached out to her, showing her things of an Arcane nature, opening her mind to sorcery and its intertwining ways with the sea. She has stopped waiting on any demands from said Goddess, believing its just the way of things and her respect for the sea is what got her noticed in the first place.

Description: Kathwed, or "Kath", is 5'9" tall and weighs around 140 lbs. She's got that "terminally pretty" look of charm and sailor's grace. With black hair, and sea-tanned skin, she definitely dresses the part of one who has her sea legs.

Personality: Kath's driving force is improving her means, standing, and knowledge of the ways of the world and them what's in it. She fully understands that it takes a crew to run a ship, the same as it does to complete a task or adventure. She believes she is on a journey and how she gets there is more important than where she's going. Gain her trust, and you've got a friend for life. Lose her trust, or cross her, and you've got an enemy of the same. Like many sailors, she's cut from the sail cloth of working hard so she can play hard when the work is done. She firmly believes that the sea is freedom - the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. Not long ago, she was cheated out of her fair share of the profits from a certain enterprise, so she wants to get what's due her. This may be why she can't help but pocket loose coins and other trinkets she come across. Problem is, "loose" is a word often debated over.

Roleplaying Sample: Lying on some rolled up sail on the fore deck, her feet up on a small cask of oil, she was casting minor spells of the spray that was coming up over the bow as they sailed into a strong wind, tacking often.
If the spray was substantial enough, she merely wave a hand at it, and a good portion of it would instantly freeze and turn into ice of any color she could think of.
She was currently into shades of purple.
The ice would crash onto the deck and fracture into dozens of pieces, eventually starting to melt and then slide back into the sea.
The Captain approached, and watched the display for a moment and then said, "The men 'ave been wonderin' jest 'ow ye do that, Kath. Kinda like t'know ma'self."

He didn't ask if she minded telling him, or if she wanted to. He didn't have to ask. He was the Captain.

Raised a proper young lady for as long as they could until she left home on her own, Kathwed didn't have the Sailor's tongue or manner of speech. Sure she understood it, and could curse with the best of them, but she was fine with who she was, so she didn't need to pretend. It helped that she'd proven herself as a member of the crew, especially with her okay navigating skills and persuasive manner with dock workers. It helped that she had a bit of Arcane knowledge and was officially signed on as the Ship's mage. Only, she was no wizard and few thought her even capable of weaving spells. Much to their chagrin, and sometimes peril.

"It's the sea, Captain. She speaks to me and gives me leave to pull some of her power and kind of ball it up if you will, or coil it and tie it in different ways like that rope there. Then, I let it go and all those coils and knots all line up to do things like this. Kinda like without rope, our sails would be useless. Don't know any other way to describe it really, not having gone to an Academy or anything. Just makes sense to me."

She left it at that, and so did he. Then someone yelled out 'Sail on the port quarter', and she went to the rail like most everyone else to have a look.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 05-15-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:29 PM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 968
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
Valignant

Name: Valignant
Race: Lizardfolk
Alignment: Neutral
Class: Monk (Pyrokine Tradition)
Baackground: Criminal
Personality Traits: Always have a plan
Ideal: Redemption
Bond: Guilty of a Crime
Flaw: Noticeable 'Tell' when he's lying.

Description: Always standing with a slight hunch when working, wearing either very little showing off his vibrant green scales, or clothed in a thick dark grey or black wool set, including a hood, quaterstaff rarely far from his reach. His manner of speech takes some getting used to, as it is very blunt and to the point.

Personality: Val has the emotional capacity of a dead frog, or that is often how people view him, in truth he simple doesn't understand most jokes, or the meaning behind them. To him they are simply there, not since Master Sren has he felt any form of bond or connection to another person. Though if you could make him laugh, you'll likely have a friend for life....If you save his life...you'll like likely never get rid of him.

Sample: The crows nest was often is usual haunt, somewhere away from the soft fleshy people. They were alright for the most part, but kept away from him as much as possible. Sat cross legged on top of the nest, keeping his eyes out to the horizon when a small smudge appeared. Spending a few moments to let it edge closer, eyes widening ''Pirates!, long distance, To our left!'' his voice falling on the lounging sailors below, who quickly bolted to action.

''Ow'big be she Val?'' bellowed up the captain from the bridge, standing up in the nest and straining his eyes to the incoming ship.

''Big...Bigger then us'' Val called down, ''More guns, slower''..

The ship lurched to starboard as all the sails unfurled...Shouts from the main deck of orders, and the noise of people following them, the wind thundering against Val's face as he turned to keep the trailing ship in sight as his own ship quickly picked up speed. The echo of cannon fire caught on the breeze followed by the nearby splash of a narrow miss.

Last edited by Herb; 05-17-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:58 PM
Master of None

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8382
Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede Shaede
Application Status - Submitted for Consideration

Ellesh
left-aligned image
Name: Ellesh
Race: V. Human
Alignment: True Neutral
Class: Wizard - School of Abjuration
Background: Sage
Personality Traits: I’m willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgment. There’s nothing I like more than a good mystery.
Ideal: No Limits. Nothing should fetter the infinite possibility inherent in all existence.
Bond: I’ve been searching my whole life for the answer to a certain question.
Flaw: I speak without really thinking through my words, invariably insulting others.
Appearance: Ellesh is very tall For a human. He stands at a height of about 6'-4". His skin is a very pale, even though he spends the majority of his time outdoors. This could be attributed to a pigmentation gene that was passed down from his mother. He has small, pinned back ears, and a very broad, flat nose. From beneath the robes that he always wears, dark brown eyes are constantly evaluating all situations, whether it be people or places. His robes are dark blue in color, and they are adorned with various arcane symbols from where he draws his strength and power. Ellesh's feet are adorned with simple, leather boots that are meant to keep the seawater out and his feet always dry.
Personality: Ellesh is a cool, calm, and collected individual. He is in search of knowledge and solving life's mysteries. More specifically, he is attempting to control the weave to draw greater and greater power from it. Though that may take a lifetime, he is not deterred. Therefore, he has taken up the life of a traveler and an adventurer. Seeing the unique places and people of the world fuel his thirst of information. He would be described as near emotionless, in fact, he is quite the opposite. Ellesh is an expert at hiding his true feelings, as he believes that the emotional center of his brain may run counter-intuitive to his rational thinking. It is something that he struggles with in social situations, but he'd rather have a justifiable response to someone than an emotional one. That's not to say that Ellesh is the 'silent type.' In fact, he is very talkative and will gladly discuss ideas, concepts, and other abstract concepts with anyone who may listen. However, when it comes to his personal life, he is a brick wall.
History:

Roleplay Example: The End of a Chapter

Posting Rate: Maximum: Many times per workday (M-F CST). Only once or twice on weekends; Minimum: once per day during workday, none on weekends.

Last edited by Shaede; 05-21-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:19 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Hey Gang I added updated information requested please include Background Selected, Personality Traits, Ideal, Bond, and Flaw
Old 05-14-2020, 04:42 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 304
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
I don't have time to add another campaign, but I just want to say this looks incredible and I will likely be stalking your progress.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1290
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Stubb
]
left-aligned image
Name: Dagoo "Stubb" Tashtego, nicknamed by one of his companions because he is anything but stubby, it stuck. The last name comes from his mentor.
Race: Variant Human
Class: Barbarian (Totem)
Alignment: Neutral
Background: Sailor (Harpooner)

Personality: Today, we might call it clinical paranoia as a result of childhood trauma. He sees everyone as a potential threat. Fortunately, he is also highly intelligent and understands that his chance of survival is appreciably greater when allied than alone. His presence in the crew is based on his calculation that their company gives him a stronger chance of survival than being alone. He's done that, it's hard, dangerous. While he doesn't talk a great deal, he does carry on a continuing interior monologue, talking to his totems (dolphin, whale, shark). Dolphin for assessment, understanding the environment around him, movement. Whale for defense, survival. Shark for attack and the potential to do harm.

Appearance: Dagoo is tall, with a muscular, powerful build. Scarred, both from the teeth of sea creatures and the scars of the cat of nine tails, he is not self conscious about them and rarely wear shirts or shoes. Oddly enough, for a sailor born with no interest in gardening, his tattoos tend to be of flowers and plants.

History: Dagoo grew up alone. No family, no companions, feral. He has no clear memories of a family, a mother, a father. Only the island, survival.

Then came the galley. Galleys always need rowers and aren't too picky about where they get them. Chained to an oar, the skinny boy became strong and scarred. He also learned to speak, though never that well. During a raid, the rowers got a break, literally, as another ship stove in the side of the galley. It also broke the chain free and though most drowned, Dagoo did not. He and another rower, Tashtego, escaped to the shore and made their way to the city. Tashtego, a skilled warrior, took Dagoo under his wing and taught him the way of the spear.

With Tashtego, they signed aboard a vessel hunting sea leviathans. A sailing ship rather than a galley, at first it seemed paradise for the young man. On the recommendation of Tashtego, Dagoo was made the junior harpooner, sailing out in small boats to set the hooks into the great leviathans. But, the Captain grew more and more obsessed with his prey, sailing past the limits of food, water, safety. And eventually, the great leviathan he chased smashed the ship to pieces. The survivors eventually were picked up and deposited here in Porta where Dagoo has come to the ship to sign on with another crew, another voyage, another chance to go back to the only place he feels at home, on the sea.

Last edited by penbeast0; 05-16-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:53 PM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 320
Selini Selini Selini Selini
Hello~ I am interested as well. I have a pitch for an exotic race to play, which I would have loved to PM you about instead but I am brand new to this site and it looks like I need to make a few more posts to unlock the ability to PM, so I hope it's okay if I ask here instead. When I hear sailing themed campaign, the first thing that comes to mind is wharf rats, which I could build up using the Shifter (Swiftstrider) race from Eberron, depending on how you'd like varying degrees of werecritters to work in your world here. If at all.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Was thinking a barbarian harpooner. Do you allow harpoons as say, barbed javelin with a cord/line attached that can pull in or hook a target. Maybe allowing a ranged grapple check after a hit?
@penbeast Here are some acceptable rules for a harpoon.
Harpoon
The harpoon is a broad-bladed spear forged with cruel barbs. The shaft of the harpoon has a trailing rope attached to control harpooned opponents. Though intended to be used in hunting whales and other large sea creatures, the harpoon can be used on dry land. Even if an Exotic Weapon Proficiency is taken for the Harpoon, creatures of less than Medium-size suffer a -2 penalty to their attack rolls due to the weapon's weight.

If you inflict damage on your opponent, the harpoon may lodge in the victim if the victim fails a Reflex saving throw against a DC equal to 10 plus the damage you inflicted. The harpooned creature moves at only half speed and cannot charge or run. If you control the trailing rope by succeeding at an opposed Strength check while holding it, the harpooned creature can only move within the limits that the rope allows (the trailing rope is 30 feet long). If the harpooned creature attempts to cast a spell, it must succeed at a Concentration check (DC 15) or fail, losing the spell.

The harpooned creature can pull the harpoon from its wound if it has two free hands and it takes a full-round action to do so, but in so doing it inflicts damage on itself equal to the initial damage the harpoon caused. If you hit with a harpoon and do 8 points of damage and the target removes the harpoon, it takes another 8 points of damage.

Exotic Weapon - Ranged
Cost 15 gp
Dmg(S) 1d8
Dmg(M) 1d10
Crit x2
Range Inc 30 ft.
Weight 10 lb.
Type Piercing
Old 05-14-2020, 09:41 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
When I hear sailing themed campaign, the first thing that comes to mind is wharf rats, which I could build up using the Shifter (Swiftstrider) race from Eberron, depending on how you'd like varying degrees of werecritters to work in your world here.
@Selini Lets say at this point I will heavily consider it, please put together an application with all the details, I do not see a main reason to deny the request off the top of my head. Shifters are technically not werecritters, but I see your point. I thought swiftstriders were generally feline though not Rodents. LOL

Last edited by JaredSyn; 05-14-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:56 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2341
Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991 Auron3991
Some Questions (partially because I follow the policy of taking nothing for granted):

1) Are infections from damage curable by anything that specifically includes disease removal in it's effect?
2) Are feats allowed? And if so, are varient humans allowed?
3) On islands with no cities, are there small villages?
4) Being some of the most powerful of spells (and highly unlikely to come up until far later anyways), can the likes of Wish and True Resurrection deal with the Constitution drain from dying?

As an aside, I do find it a little humorous that by trying to avoid the healing surge idea, you managed to create almost exactly what I would have house-ruled for short rests in 4e (in 4e it would have been one second wind usage, but close enough).
Old 05-15-2020, 01:01 AM
Catch Phrase

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2513
mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb mjb
I would like to post interest
I'll get an app up sometime tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2020, 01:05 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1176
Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku Hiruma Kohaku
I am posting my interest in playing a human variant bard as the ship’s cook. Character application to come, but I wanted to pass by you a UA feat that normally would be passed over, but seems very fitting for your sea faring campaign.

Gourmand feat: https://media.wizards.com/2016/downl...a-feats-v1.pdf
Old 05-15-2020, 01:21 AM
New User of Reach Weapons

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12375
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
This looks very interesting...
Old 05-15-2020, 01:30 AM
Wyrmling

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 320
Selini Selini Selini Selini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSyn View Post
@Selini Lets say at this point I will heavily consider it, please put together an application with all the details, I do not see a main reason to deny the request off the top of my head. Shifters are technically not werecritters, but I see your point. I thought swiftstriders were generally feline though not Rodents. LOL
Funny enough, the book actually specifically mentions rats for swiftstriders. Tis what sparked this idea in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberron -Rising from the Last War
Swiftstride are often predatory and feline, but a swiftstride could also be a cunning rat who darts through the shadows.
Application
left-aligned image

Name: Aleah

Race: Shifter (Swiftstrider)

Alignment: Chaotic Good

Class: Druid (Circle of Dreams)

Description: In the rare instance she can be seen standing, Aleah stands a dimunitive 4'4" and a breezy 80lbs. Her build is light to match, lithe, almost unnaturally flexible, and perhaps even malnourished. Two pinkish red eyes sit abnormally large upon her little button face, accented all the more by a broad almost rodent-like nose (complete with what may even be whiskers). Most mistake her for an albino, with short-cut messy silver-white hair and skin as pale as fallen snow, but a closer inspection reveals that pale hue to be a result of the layer of white fur covering most of her body. An equally close inspection might reveal her well hidden tail, pink and hairless, idential in appearance if not necessarily size to any common rat. When she shifts these 'maybe's and 'perhaps' go far out the window. Her ears grow wide and furred, whiskers and fur thicken visibly, face and body elongate (especially her limbs), nails harden to little claws, and her front two teeth extend to reflect her true rodent heritage.

Personality: Life on the streets is hard, but build character. If somewhat quirky character. Aleah always found herself stuck halway between civilization and nature just as much as between dreams and sobriety, and her personality matches this conflict. She is, in a word, awkward. Social interactions are difficult for her; the wilderness wildlife, the feywild, and civil society all have very different rules and sometimes they get a little mixed up or mashed together in her head. She has the wisdom to know when to hold her tongue, even if that happens to be mid-sentence, but not the charisma to know how to get it started back up again. At least when she's sober. When intoxicated or "dreaming" she has far less reservations about sharing the abnormal or abstract ideas and visions that pass through her mind.

With animals, she is much better versed. She speaks with them as often as they are inclined to listen, watches them for context and survival clues, and uses her druidic abilities to mingle with them as often as she can manage. Despite all this she is not incapable of forming bonds with more civilized company, and when she does she is generally considered to be compassionate and loyal, with a skewed but generally "Good" sense of morals, if not necessarily any sense of civilized laws (except the "don't steal" one, but only due to how many times she's been beaten for it). Despite her mousy outward appearances however, she is a Shifter with the blood of a wererat still coursing strong through her shady lineage, and no meek soul ever shared a body with the Beast. When push comes to shove and flight comes to fight, she is decisive and fearless.

Background:

Background Selection: Haunted One
Harrowing Event: The monsters that slaughtered dozens of innocent people spared your life, and you donít know why.
Personality Traits: I like to squeeze into small places where no one else can get to me.
Ideal: Selflessness. I try to help those in need, no matter what the personal cost.
Bond: I owe a debt I can never repay to the person who took pity on me.
Flaw: I have an addiction.

Roleplaying Sample: