PF-1e Tides of Time: A High-Level Campaign - Page 9 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 06:36 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 592
AmieGamer AmieGamer AmieGamer AmieGamer AmieGamer AmieGamer
BasicsName: Avidia Vulso
Race: Human
Class: Skald 20 [Totem Skald, Urban Skald]
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Deity: Thisamet, the Blithe Spirit
Origin: Galt

Party Role: Buffer/healer/debuffer
Sheet: This is not remotely close to being finished!
Background
right-aligned image
Once, many years ago -- although not so many that it has passed entirely beyond living memory -- Galt was a very different place than it is now. It was not a land of bloody terror, of mad revolutionary purges, of the cruel drop of the final blades. Instead, it was a beautiful nation, blessed by architects and poets, by philosophers and artists. In the quaint city of Esme, at the edge of the Boarwood, Novernix Vulso taught history and comparative religion at the renowned Torvin Academy. By the time his daughter Avinia was born, all that was in the past. Dean Hosetter had sparked the flames of revolution and they had burned him in turn. The classrooms dedicated to learning and art had been remade into cells, holding political prisoners destined to die beneath the guillotine blade. Nevertheless, the Vulsos remained in Edme, Novernix never quite able to abandon his home and always clinging to the hope that the next purge would be the last and things could return to the way they used to be. In a better world, Avinia might have found a place at the Academy in her father's footsteps. Although she lacked his scholarly focus, she was fascinated with stories and history and tales and speeches and songs, and shared them -- at least, when it seemed safe enough to be permitted -- with a fiery passion that was inspiring despite her youth.

But the next purge was not the last, and the Gray Gardeners were all too willing to come for one of Hosetter's former colleagues. And for his family. Novernix and his wife were just scholars. Avinia, a little girl. None of them a match for the executioners of a land gone mad. But unbeknownst to anyone, they were not entirely alone. A dark-skinned woman who was very much a match for the hooded thugs, had been tracking them for some time. She was too late to save the elder Vulso, but by her intervention, Avinia was spared the blade.

"My name is Nthabilwe," she introduced herself to the young survivor, in Taldane heavily accented with the sounds of distant shores. Avinia's savior hailed from Dehrukani, a land in the south of Garund, a place so distant that Avinia had never heard stories of it or its people. Indeed, she had never heard of it at all. This strange foreigner was a servant of Thisamet, a celestial lord; many in Dehrukani served such powers instead of the more familiar gods. "She is a patron of feasts and celebrations," Nthabilwe related.

Avinia did not understand. "This land is mad. My father is dead. And the Gardeners will be back for vengeance, so I'm certain to join him. You came to the wrong place. There's nothing to celebrate here."

"Many who serve Thisawet share in the holidays of the lands they visit. They celebrate victories. They bid others to join great feasts in Her name." Nthabilwe shrugged. "It is a good thing, I suppose. But some few of us travel the world, as best we can, going to places where there is precious little to celebrate, and lifting up those who we can. Like you. There can be no celebration without celebrants." She explained that she was once not so different from Avinia, saved from jungle-demons by a druid dedicated to the Blithe Spirit. He had a similar story. And so on, she presumed, from when the azata first touched this world with their hearts and spirits. "In time, I hope you will do the same for others."

"How?" the girl asked incredulously, gesturing at the woman before her. "I'm not a warrior or a priest or whatever you are. I'm not some adventurer. All I know how to do is tell stories... and no one wants to hear the stories of this place."

Nthabilwe beamed with satisfaction. "Oh! Then you have a great gift indeed, dear child! When the battles are fought and won and lost, someone needs to tell those tales. When the pirates find their treasures, or the dragons devour their would-be slayers, or a little girl survives in a land of blood and steel and death, someone needs to share of it. There's magic in that! And it's a greater magic than mine because it lives in its listeners. Different for each and every ear, to be sure. But a tale can take up residence in the soul, move and drive a man because of your words. Words and tales and stories are the magic to shape the future. There is no stronger power than the gift you possess."

And so it was. With Nthabilwe's aid, Avinia fled south, escaping the bloody terror of her homeland. Once the girl was safe in Oppara, Nthabilwe moved on; others needed her, it was certain. In time -- and with a bit of remaining Dehrukani coin -- the young storyteller found herself a student in the halls of the esteemed Kitharodian Academy, where she learned to hone her love of tale-telling into something well and truly magical. Her azata patron brought her a sense of inner light that allowed her oratory to inspire joy and cultivate hope, but always tinged with the fire and rage she felt for the losses of her childhood.

When she was old enough, she withdrew from the Kitharodian to take up the mantle of an adventurer, making good on her promise to Nthabilwe. In the years since, she has traveled Avistan and beyond, taking her talents to many of the world's most desperate lands. Everywhere she goes, she tells stories and learns others, and gives people a reason to celebrate where they had none before. She has stood with others, inspiring their fights against the demons of the Worldwound and the Thassilonian cultists of Varisia. Against the witches of Irrisen and the risen dead of Ustalav. She has seen the jungles of Garund and the deserts of Casmaron. And has even stood amidst the eternal wilds of the Outer Plane of Elysium, so that she could thank Thisamet for giving her the chance to live and to help others do likewise.

She can't imagine a day when she'll stop, not even if the world ends around her.
Time TravelThere was a time that Avinia might have been tempted to use the power of time to go back to that terrible day in Galt to try to save her father. But she's older and at least a little bit wiser. The pain in her heart will never entirely heal, but that pain inspires her to help others. It's part of her. To change that would change who she is. She'd never consider it, even for a moment.

But the slow march of time has claimed so much else. So many people she couldn't help. So many stories that are just... lost. She would leap at the chance to recover the sagas of some lost empire -- perhaps even great Azlant itself! But even if all she could accomplish was to help save one more life, even at such a risk to her own? How could she ever hope to inspire people again if she just said... no?

Math Stuff

Last edited by AmieGamer; Sep 27th, 2022 at 12:53 AM.
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 08:04 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 347
chaincomplex chaincomplex chaincomplex chaincomplex
Someone yell at me if your app isn't on the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieGamer View Post
I have a random house-rules-ish question. I realized, partway through plotting out a build progression, that my playgroup has been doing something funny with a couple classes and I never paid close enough attention to notice. The real skald class gets Scribe Scroll as a level 1 bonus feat. Our skalds (not that there have been just lots of skalds...) have always gotten Extra Performance as a bonus feat instead. It turns out that's the way Pathfinder Society implemented the class since they didn't ever allow player crafting. I never played under the Society rules, but our main Pathfinder GM did and just... ran a bunch of stuff with the Society changes.
Do you have a link for this Pathfinder Society change? I'm willing to run it if it's documented somewhere, since that's first-party enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonCausalFact View Post
Loved the idea of your game and hope you all have a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Oh, I doubt you can do this, but wouldn't hurt to ask. I know you can make a weapon adamantine and magical, but, can you make a weapon that already has special properties, adamantine?
Seems unlikely since presumably it would have to be reforged from the ground up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
So, using an armband for the magical item. Using CL20, so it would be 32,000gps cost and able to use 20 mins a day. Does this sound right?
Right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatulaOdoom View Post
Chaincomplex, do you already have a forum for the game? We might want to have this sort of mechanics part of character creation discussion there if you do. All the stuff here might be bordering on spam. (Yes, I am aware that I'm contributing to it)

EDIT: Using that methodology, my immediate interest is creating a vest or armor that grants continuous Particulate Form (182k for continuous/use activated).
I opened up the subforum. Here.

Generally speaking I'm only allowing custom magic items on a case-by-case basis. That vest would be a fast healing item, something Pathfinder prices at 90,000 gp for 1 hp per round. Suggests the custom magic items rules shouldn't apply directly.

Quote:
Have another question, while I try to get this application going! How strictly do you want us to enforce aging effects? Trying to settle on the details of my background and decide whether or not I need to account for that...
Strictly. I'm going to explicitly allow players to make venerable characters with all the associated benefits and drawbacks. Brb editing the OP.

Last edited by chaincomplex; Sep 22nd, 2022 at 08:06 PM.
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 10:09 PM
Paladin Extraordinaire

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8553
Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis Maghnuis
"Generally speaking I'm only allowing custom magic items on a case-by-case basis."

Instead of totally custom, how about the simple addition of stat boosts or such to another magic item or combining two or more items.
Old Sep 22nd, 2022, 10:52 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for all the responses, chaincomplex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaincomplex View Post
Do you have a link for this Pathfinder Society change? I'm willing to run it if it's documented somewhere, since that's first-party enough for me.
From the Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Additional Resources (link to the pdf), page 32:
Quote:
Skald: Skalds receive Extra Performance at 1st level instead of Scribe Scroll.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 02:08 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghnuis View Post
"Generally speaking I'm only allowing custom magic items on a case-by-case basis."

Instead of totally custom, how about the simple addition of stat boosts or such to another magic item or combining two or more items.
This is, hm, something I'm on board with in D&D 3.5e since it's explicitly given an OK in MIC, and also I think it's fine as a game design thing.

But unless there's precedent for it in Pathfinder, I'm going to reject it, since I'm being a stickler about mechanics. Do you have anything in mind showcasing this being done, a written rule if possible or otherwise examples of it?

Quote:
Go ahead make the substitution then.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 03:29 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
This is, hm, something I'm on board with in D&D 3.5e since it's explicitly given an OK in MIC, and also I think it's fine as a game design thing.

But unless there's precedent for it in Pathfinder, I'm going to reject it, since I'm being a stickler about mechanics. Do you have anything in mind showcasing this being done, a written rule if possible or otherwise examples of it?
The written Pathfinder guidance -- such as it is -- for doing this sort of thing is in the "Upgrading Items" and "Altering Existing Items" text in Ultimate Campaign, pages 170-172. There's a ton of sections there, some of which it even admits are self-contradictory and subject to GM fiat. I'm not even going to try to suggest what I would do, but that's where the written stuff is.

Quote:
Go ahead make the substitution then.
Appreciated! Sheet should be sooner rather than later now.
Old Sep 23rd, 2022, 09:03 PM
You remind me of the Babe

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10320
JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
Lord Mordred
LN Elven Teifling, 560yrs
Chelaxian Occultist of Memphistopheles
BLASTY TANK | PLOT MOVER | PUPPETEER
(Theme Song)

A powerful Tiefling with strong roots in Cheliax and proud owner of a Tower upon the Lake of Sorrows, he rests easily upon the laurels of his pasts conquests, having earned his fortune and title centuries ago.

Known as a recluse Magister of questionable arts, he seeks knowledge for knowledge's sake, relying upon his divinatory arts and eclectic library and research to learn of ancient artefacts and current threats to the ongoing World as a whole.

The current rifts in Time are what has led him to take up his sword and tomes once more. He has invested a LOT of time and energy into this world, and has quite a deal more living to do. No creature or cosmic force is going to threaten that on his watch.

Last edited by JonnyGulliver; Sep 26th, 2022 at 06:35 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 08:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14752
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Do you allow variant multiclassing: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/character-advancement/
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 10:53 AM

Tools
User Statistics
JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver JonnyGulliver
It's from Unchained, just for reference, Paizo 1st Party
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 11:24 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
@chaincomplex

Hopefully my last couple of questions as I try to move things around and finish gear shopping:
  • Does an urban skald ignore ASF from medium armor? The base skald text says: "A skald is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields (except tower shields). A skald can cast skald spells while wearing light or medium armor and even using a shield without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance." The urban skald archetype says: "An urban skald is not proficient with medium armor." Would an urban skald wearing medium armor anyway (either because they gained proficiency elsewhere or because they opted to suffer the nonproficiency penalties) still ignore ASF while doing so?
  • Speaking of armor, is piecemeal armor from Ultimate Combat legal here? I have my own opinions about the quality of the math they used writing that, but figured I ought to ask while I'm flailing around the armor charts.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 01:37 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDarkness View Post
Yes. Never used it before but it looks OK? I'll trust you'll let me know if I'm missing some crazy exploit. Will add to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maghnuis View Post

I'm allowing totally custom magic weapons and armor by the usual system of adding enhancement bonuses but other items are case-by-case.

Per
Quote:
The written Pathfinder guidance -- such as it is -- for doing this sort of thing is in the "Upgrading Items" and "Altering Existing Items" text in Ultimate Campaign, pages 170-172. There's a ton of sections there, some of which it even admits are self-contradictory and subject to GM fiat. I'm not even going to try to suggest what I would do, but that's where the written stuff is.
AmieGamer's reference it appears it's intended for this to be adjudicated like so, with the big considerations being whether the ability is appropriate for the slot and whether a custom spell effect breaks the buff economy.

So toss your item ideas my way.

Quote:
  • Does an urban skald ignore ASF from medium armor? The base skald text says: "A skald is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields (except tower shields). A skald can cast skald spells while wearing light or medium armor and even using a shield without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance." The urban skald archetype says: "An urban skald is not proficient with medium armor." Would an urban skald wearing medium armor anyway (either because they gained proficiency elsewhere or because they opted to suffer the nonproficiency penalties) still ignore ASF while doing so?
  • Speaking of armor, is piecemeal armor from Ultimate Combat legal here? I have my own opinions about the quality of the math they used writing that, but figured I ought to ask while I'm flailing around the armor charts.
  • By strict reading it appears the (standard) Skald's ability to ignore ASF in medium armor is a distinct and independent clause from its actual proficiencies. While I suppose there's an argument re: intent to be made for a connection, there's no pressing need to ignore the exact wording, so that's what we'll go with: even without medium armor proficiency, the Urban Skald still ignores ASF in medium armor. (Getting proficiency back from another source won't change this.)
  • Don't know the piecemeal armor thing. I guess I should check that the math of the system is sensible. What are your reservations? In principle I don't see why I couldn't run it.

Last edited by chaincomplex; Sep 24th, 2022 at 01:38 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 02:08 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
[*]Don't know the piecemeal armor thing. I guess I should check that the math of the system is sensible. What are your reservations? In principle I don't see why I couldn't run it.[/LIST]
It generally allows for smarter armorsets that can gear toward mobility, high AC, lower checks or even minimal casting failure, dependant upon the way you design and assemble the pieces. Even featherlite types if you struggle in the muscle department.

More vesatility that nets a +/- 1 or 2 where you need it. Great boost in early level games. Don't even have to buy it all at once if you are hurting for gold.

If you can't tell, I LOVE this system and mastered it the moment I discovered it. I enjoy creating custom armor sets that suit other PCs playstyles. It's an eccentric niche.

Last edited by JonnyGulliver; Sep 24th, 2022 at 02:51 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 03:09 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
By strict reading it appears the (standard) Skald's ability to ignore ASF in medium armor is a distinct and independent clause from its actual proficiencies. While I suppose there's an argument re: intent to be made for a connection, there's no pressing need to ignore the exact wording, so that's what we'll go with: even without medium armor proficiency, the Urban Skald still ignores ASF in medium armor. (Getting proficiency back from another source won't change this.)
That was my reading, but I always like to check when I'm exploring rules spaces that they clearly didn't spend much time editing!

Quote:
Don't know the piecemeal armor thing. I guess I should check that the math of the system is sensible. What are your reservations? In principle I don't see why I couldn't run it.
It's especially impactful in low level games because you can make some armor comically cheaper than the off-the-shelf options. But there are some edge cases where it can net you 1-2 AC, because they probably didn't do the math. Say you want the higher AC suit of armor available that has a 0 ACP. There's lots of market for that! Let's see what the odds are that I can make these tables work correctly...

Off the shelf, your option is a mithral kikko:

Item Type AC Max Dex ACP Speed Cost Weight
Kikko Medium +5 +4 -3 20 250 25
Mithral -1 - +2 -3 30 +4000 x1/2
Final: Light-ish +5 +6 -0 30 4250 12.5

Good item. I've had lots of characters that either wore one or wanted to. Let's go to the piecemeal tables!

Item Type AC Max Dex ACP Speed Cost Weight
Arm: Scale Medium +1 +3 -2 30 10 5
Leg: Kikko Medium +1 +3 -1 20 10 5
Torso: Chain Medium +4 +4 -2 30 100 25
Suit +1  
Total: Medium +7 +3 -2 20 120 35
Mithral -1 - +2 -3 30 +4000 x1/2
Final: Light-ish +7 +5 -0 30 4120 17.5

Piecemeal gets you +2 AC -- but -1 max Dex -- which is still a net +1 AC assuming you're capping Dexterity with level 20 shenanigans. In exchange for the extra armor, it costs 130 less gold (but does weigh an extra 5 pounds).

Is that a problem? I don't know. I guess it makes sense from a certain point of view that bespoke armor designed for specific goals is better than the duergar sweatshop stuff you get at Ye Olde Wall Mart. My playgroup's GM hates this system with righteous fury, but she's obviously not the final arbiter of what's okay in gaming.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 04:37 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Lol.

Amie and I are evidently in complete agreement:

It makes armor more appealing and affordable.

Whereas they say it with frown, I say it with a smile.

Because sometimes, people roll low level 1 wealth.
As for the long term, 3000-5000gp base cost of their endgame base Armor is a mere fraction of the 100,000+gp enchants at Level 20.

P.S. I would be happy to use Fabricate on everyone's Armor to update, if app makes it ^_^

Last edited by JonnyGulliver; Sep 24th, 2022 at 04:41 PM.
Old Sep 24th, 2022, 04:45 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the input, Amie & Jonny.

I'm willing to run the Piecemeal Armor variant rules as an option. It's not that much more complex and what's the point of playing a tabletop RPG if you can't accessorize.