PF-1e Wrath of the Righteous: Paths of Ascent - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Apr 25th, 2022, 02:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6399
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Wrath of the Righteous: Paths of Ascent

Game NameWrath of the Righteous: Paths of Ascent
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeHigh fantasy, save the world. Ascend as mythic and/or gestalt heroes.
FlavourShort but gritty and tough dungeon crawls; then rapid advance through epic storytelling interludes
Plot Summary

Backfill opening There is now an opening for a backfill character, as described here: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...92#post9534492

Application tracker: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...30#post9536730

Applications should be in by 5pm PT Friday night Sept 2 and I'll decide by end of Sunday Sept 4.

A Baptism of Blood and Chaos

This section contains the opening scene, general background behind the campaign, and the setting of the city of Kanebres.

Opening Scene

Adventure Background

Kenebres before the fall

Game structure: Chapters and Interludes
Chapters

Interludes between chapters

Prior Knowledge

Expectations on players and posts

Character creation and rulesCharacters, Allowed Sources, and Application Template

Campaign Traits

Gestalt advancement

Mythic advancement

Mythic House Rulings and Errata

Spheres House Rulings and Errata

Path of War House Rulings and Errata

Path of War Martial Traditions

Crafting Items, and Cost-reductions on Selling

Companions

Spheres, Path, and Mythic Powers for Monsters

The Table of Contenders
Player Character Race Build Status Trait
triedtherest Culler Elan Gestalt Vitalist (Life Leech, Sadist) 2 / Alchemist (Internal) 2 Declined Finding Haleen
Kenjitsu Ken Human Mythic Mystic - Kineticist 2 Accepted Gnostic Cult of Kenabres
Admin Dirk Salix Timidus Lahr Elf Witch 2/Mythic 1 Accepted Riftwarden Orphan
MundayKnight Merriweather Meadmaker Human Gestalt Conscript 2 / Incanter 2 Accepted Barroom Talespinner
LeoByron Veronica Bliss Changeling Mythic Guardian - Empathic Duelist Eliciter 1 / Ascendant Mind Psychic 1 Declined Riftwarden Orphan
Rictur63 Zenda Asha Xeph Gestalt Aegis Trailblazer 2 / Zepher Soulknife 2 Declined Chance Encounter
Crocodile Mitawo Kenfe Human Mythic Champion Unchained Monk 1 (Street Fighter)/ Striker 1 Declined Stolen Fury
Eviltedzies Davor Sulibhan Elf Mythic Champion [Marshal] Ranger [Adventurer, Demon Slayer] Accepted Stolen Fury
dbaque Lunigen Wyvaran (Red dragon) Mythic Gifted Paladin (Champion of the Cause, Oath Against Fiends/Oathbound) Accepted Angelic Affinity
gwythion Morris Ratfolk Gestalt Alchemist 2 (Beastmorph, Vivisectionist, Sphere Alchemist), Warder 2 (Dervish Defender) Accepted Remnant of Sarkoris
OneDarkness Kaline Mehic Pitborn Tiefling Paladin of Iomedae 2 / Divine Herbalist 2 Declined Stolen Fury

Dropped from table, as there was no follow on yet: Runetide, ahanna12345,grumblyarcher.

Let me know when you'd like a review of a draft character

Last edited by CatCanCook; Aug 30th, 2022 at 10:54 PM.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 04:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5635
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Colour me interested.

I have an idea for a Character, given that Psionics is allowed, I thought I would try creating an Elan Vitalist going into the Thrallherd Prestige Class.
Probably Gestalt, likely either Cleric or Alchemist.
Would be an excellent Healer, but would have the "In this for your own reasons" motivation, which I will include in my Application.

Would this be a good fit for the Campaign?
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 05:38 PM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5517
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Application
Name: Ken Blackstone
Race: Human
Trait 1: Indomitable Faith (Faith) (+1 trait bonus on Will Saves)
Trait 2: Pragmatic Activator (Magic) (Use INT mod with Use Magic Device instead of CHA mod)
Campaign Trait: Gnostic Cult of Kenabres
Primary Class Levels: Mythic Mystic Kineticist 2
Alignment and Patron: CG (Gnostic)
Party Role: Ranged/Area DPS

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mythic Mystic Ken.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	95650  

Last edited by Kenjitsu; May 13th, 2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 06:30 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9801
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
What is your stance on playing evil characters *so long as they're party/plot friendly?* (I.E. like an Asmodean Cleric, etc.)
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 08:31 PM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81190
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Name: Salix Timidus Lahr https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=90808
Race: Elf
Ability Scores: S 10 D 14 Con 12 W 12 In 21 Ch 10
Primary Class Levels: Witch
Traits: Mediator (Honeyed Words), Forlorn, plus Riftwarden Orphan
Negatives/Drawbacks/Flaws: Non combatant.
Alignment and Patron: Chaotic Neutral (tending to good). Patron: Shadow

Important NPCs to Salix:
1) Blythe, minstrel/bard, almost a friend. Pretty much the only person in the world she trusts. Blythe will throw some bounties and secrets to the witch, in exchange for the same.
2) Tenrax Lahr, Salix's foster father. She has not seen or spoken to him since returning to Tanerbres.
3) Decorax, local guard captain, who has an on-again, off-again relationship with Salix. Half the time, the man would toss her in gaol, the other, he would use her as a snitch, or to do something a little illegal, that the guard captain couldn't be seen doing himself.
4) Magda, birth mother/witch/riftwarden, died early in her childhood.

Old Apr 25th, 2022, 08:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
What is your stance on playing evil characters *so long as they're party/plot friendly?* (I.E. like an Asmodean Cleric, etc.)
CatCanCook said:
-Alignment and Patron: Player characters shouldn't be CE, or NE aligned, but the other alignments are allowed. Have solid motivation to combat the Worldwound and cooperate with fellow PCs.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 09:12 PM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
ahanna12345
This looks awesome. I’m not that familiar with path of war but I’m sure I can figure it out. Application to come.
Old Apr 25th, 2022, 11:24 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Culler
right-aligned image

Name: Culler

Race: Elan (with the Alternate Racial Trait: Reconstruction)

Ability Scores:
AttributeValueNotes
STR10 
DEX122 points
CON122 points
INT145 points
WIS20Elan(+2);17 points
CHA10 

Traits:
1 - Psionic Knack
2 - Freed Slave (Andoran)
Campaign - Finding Haleen

Feats:
1 - Inquisitor
Elan - Psionic Talent
Alchemist - Brew Potion
Vitalist: Life Leech - Unwilling Participant
Primary Class Levels: Vitalist (with the Life Leech and Sadist Archetypes)
-Vitalist Method: Soulthief
(Optional) Gestalt Class Levels: Alchemist (with the Internal Alchemist and Mindchemist Archetypes)
-Discovery: Tumor Familiar
Alignment: True Neutral
Patron: The Eternal Order of the Remade (Elan Secret Society which decides who will be recruited into their number)

Story:
  • Appearance:

• Background:

• Personality:

• Sample Scene:

• Mechanics WIP:

Last edited by triedtherest; May 6th, 2022 at 08:45 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 02:03 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
@Tried -- every team should have a healer, and with the mix that your choosing you can do rather more than just healing. Sounds fine.

@Kenjitsu -- the ruleset I'm using of course won't exactly match the videogame -- I'm giving far more options (while withdrawing a few.) And the game scenario will differ from any published Wrath -- while using a lot of those places, characters and themes. The gnostic cult seeks secret knowledge and discovering hidden mysteries, and protecting secrets from the unworthy. If we admit a character with this background, the details of that group will be expanded during play.

@Runetide - lawful evil is OK for the game's purpose. Evil as a means to an end, not to revel in for its own sake. The WOTR game has a sizeable hellknight faction, thoroughly committed to fighting the powers of the abyss -- even if it means aligning with paladins who differ from them on the good-evil axis. An example of an NPC one might come across is Regill, a hellknight commander. Of course it would mean you could be at odds with CG PCs -- but extraordinary world-risking crises make for strange alliances.

@AdminDirk - good to see you.

@Ahanna - welcome!

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 29th, 2022 at 10:58 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 04:50 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I posted a table of applicants, and will populate it over time.

I'll be looking to accept a mix of types. Some gestalt, some mythic. A variety of uses game mechanics and roles. One or two new players (new to the site) and the rest veterans. No particular kind of application will be a shoe-in, but things I hope should be pretty obvious: show that you can embed your character into this particular world and fit; show evidence that you'll be fun to play with others (charisma as a dump stat doesn't mean be antisocial!). I'm asking for a certain amount of text in the application, but more is not better.

Ask questions!
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 06:53 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 81190
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Can you combine mythic and gestalt in the same PC?

Say, fighter//wizard, and then take up the mythic arcane path?
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 07:10 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Admin Dirk

Yes you can, but the choice is made every 2 levels.

So, say I wanted a mythic Eldritch Knight.

The prereqs are pretty easy but require substantial arcane commitments. And I assume that you want to get maximum BAB and not nerf your combat while getting the arcane prereqs out of the way.

So I might go:
Level 1-2 gestalt fighter 2/wizard 2
Level 3-4 gestalt fighter 4/wizard 4
Level 5-6 gestalt fighter 5 / wizard 5 then eldritch knight 1 / wizard 6 (*)
--- (The 1st level of eldritch knight wants to nerf your spellcasting, but the last gestalt wizard level stops that.)
- Thereafter Mythic. Archmage + the videogame's mythic path abilities are great for wizards.

This character would be max BAB, max wizard spellcasting -- and thereafter up to 14 levels of mythic (max Mythic Rank 7).

Now, I'd never actually pick vanilla old Fighter if there are Spheres of Might / Path of War classes in the room, they will toast plain old fighters.

The build rules I've given can let you do some wild stuff.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 26th, 2022 at 07:24 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 07:23 AM
Psalm 144

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5517
Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu Kenjitsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCanCook View Post
@Kenjitsu -- the ruleset I'm using of course won't exactly match the videogame -- I'm giving far more options (while withdrawing a few.) And the game scenario will differ from any published Wrath -- while using a lot of those places, characters and themes. The gnostic cult seeks secret knowledge and discovering hidden mysteries, and protecting secrets from the unworthy. If we admit a character with this background, the details of that group will be expanded during play.
That was my understanding (that your world would only be loosely based on the video game) and I am totally okay with that. It really is more about being able to play a kineticist with mythic options and your game will give me much better options than the PC game did. (I ended up having to play a kineticist as a mercenary and picked an Oracle Angel as my main).

I am okay with learning about the gnostic cult as we go simply because it is the only option that has a mythic path that actually works with the kineticist, so I am willing to explore those options as we play. I also think it will be very interesting to be in a group that has characters with different mythic paths.

Saying that, there is a This rod increases the damage dealt by the kineticist's simple energy blast by 2d6 points and by kineticist simple physical blasts by 2d6+2. Composite Energy blast instead deal an additional 4d6 damage, while composite physical blast deal an additional 4d6+4 damage.Kineticist Rod that helps increase a kineticist kinetic blast. Would I be able to use that as my character's Object Bond for Mythic Advancements? Or perhaps the This diadem increases the damage dealt by the kineticist's simple energy blast by 2d6 points and by kineticist simple physical blast by 2d6+2. Composite energy blasts instead deal an additional 4d6 damage, while composite physical blasts deal an additional 4d6+4 damage.Kinetic Diadem? Both of these items have a -1d6lesser and +1d6greater version.

Last edited by Kenjitsu; Apr 26th, 2022 at 07:24 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 08:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Kenjitsu - kineticist items might be found or purchased.

No, that specific item is not a fit for Bound Item.

I added to the section on object-bonds as a catch-all.

Quote:
Acquire a class-ability boosting implement. The implement is +1 enhanced per odd mythic rank, and gains a +1 special ability per even rank. Special abilities are chosen from the armor special ability list or weapon special ability list of a utility nature, that does not affect a weapon's attack. Choose a single class ability (such as an alchemist's bombs, a cleric's channel energy, or a kineticist's blasts) for the implement to boost. It must be of the sort of ability that consumes finite resources (uses per day, ki, burn, etc.) not an ability which is free to use (such as Sneak Attack, Studied Strike, etc.) When the implement is in hand, add the implement's enhancement bonus to the character's level for the purposes of calculating numeric effects of the ability (such as damage, range, duration, area, effective caster level, etc.). These extra levels do not grant access to additional users per day, any additional abilities or ways to use the class ability. Having the implement in-hand counts as having the hand free for the purposes of using the class ability; for all other purposes it counts as having the hand occupied.
So at level 2 mythic rank 1, this would give blasts as if you were level 3, and it would get better at higher mythic ranks.

This is meaningfully powerful, but hey you're not taking a mythic boost to a companion or another powerful item - the tradeoff is significant.

(I do have some caps on how much level boosting things can stack, so you might not benefit from multiple such items.)
Old Apr 26th, 2022, 08:33 AM
Now a Wizard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12047
MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight MundayKnight
Merriweather Meadmaker
At a glance
Race: Eye for Talent Human.
Ability Scores: Str: 11
Dex: 10
Con: 14
Int: 16
Wis 10
Cha: 18
Traits: 1: Unnatural Presence
2: Fortified Drinker
Trait from Drawback: Latent Psion (Human)
Campaign Trait: Barroom Talespinner if allowed. (I know this means no mythic and hearby waive my right to mythicality. I will be the swarm that walks without it.)
Primary Class Levels: Conscript 2
Gestalt Class Levels: Incanter 2
Negatives: Cowardly drawback
Hunger Oracle's Curse
Alignment and Patron: Chaotic Good / Cayden Cailean

Appearance: Standing near five and a half feet in height and weighing near two hundred pounds it would be fair to call Merriweather a squat man and more than once the jovial beekeeper has been questioned on if he is absolutely certain he doesn't have a dwarven ancestor to which he usually just chuckles his belly jiggling chuckle and shakes his shaggy mane of hair. His bright red beard stands out against his brown hair that's just a shade away from black but other than a few stray bees that find their way inside the snarl it seems to be all naturally his and stands as just another cheerful quirk of a quirky man. His clothing tends towards simple cuts and colors, preffering wool and cotton to the fancier silks that sometimes found their way to market even all the way out in Kenebres. Quick with a smile and a pint it surprises some to find beneath the jovial exterior is a shrewd businessman with little warmth for those who have earned his ire, tending toward explosive bouts of rage when he feels someone has insulted his craft or endangered his bees.

Background: Born on a farm less than a days travel from Kenebres Merriweather has spent most of his life traveling to and from the city, first with his parents going to market and selling their mead and any excess honey or vegetables they found themselves with at the end of the week while they bought the sugar and yeast they needed for their brew. His parents Merriman and Maribel were both loving but the harsh nature for the lands near the worldwound meant often times he was required to learn lessons quickly and with little room for error with even less room for sympathy. His father taught him how to move colonies, collect honey, and foster growth in the hive as his mother taught him letters, numbers, and brewing. There were nearby farms and from time to time they would help on the raising of a new barn or dealing with a particularly fearless wolf but they weren't particularly close knit. Inside Kenebres was a much different story as he became friends with many of the merchants' children and now that the group is grown they compete good naturedly for customers while more than one night has ended with the group sharing a pint with Kimroth at the Defender's Heart. It's a harsh life so close to the frontlines but it's a rewarding one and now that Merriweather has a bit of land of his own he has begun to compete with his parents though the demand for good drink is high enough among the Crusaders that neither has fear of leaving the market with any stock left over.

Personality: Merriweather is every bit the cheerful and bombastic small town merchant with a keen eye for an easy sell and a quick smile for anyone who waves him off. When haggling the smile remains but he tends to get a glint in his eye, a signal of seriousness that his fellow merchants have come to know all too well. On the rare occasion where he let's himself grow angry he becomes a roaring thunderhead, his booming voice painful on the ears of those nearby with a tendency to throw whatever is in reach to get his point across. Merriweather is both fiercely loyal to those whome he has formed bonds with and very slow to trust knowing from his many years of mercantilism that most people have at least one ulterior motive and often more.

When drinking, which is a fairly common affair for the mead merchant, he always keeps a glass of water to trade sips with. The alternating pattern is odd to many but if asked he is more than happy to explain that its both a great way to ensure that each sip of his drink is consistent in flavor and makes sure he can wake up the next day without a hangover. For this and his habit of making sure those he drinks with are safe at the end of the night he has more than once been called the fretting mother of his friend group, an idea he can only laugh at as his own mother is not nearly so careful with drinking, no that mindset comes from his meticulous and oft-fretting father.

In life Merriweather wanted nothing more than to simply continue on his happy existence. Brewing mead and selling it in the frantic hustle and bustle of the Crusader city has provided him with all the joy and excitement he could ask for though he would be happy to have a wife and settle down some day a small part of him wants that day to still be a few more years down the road, for now happy to carous late into the night with the only women he has to justify himself to when he gets home being a few queen bees who don't much mind how late he stays out as long as he gets the honey tapped before it becomes a mess. Now that Deskarii has struck? Well now he just wants to survive.

Carousing in KenebresMerriweather loved Armasse much as any good son or daughter of Kenebres did but by the time the festivities were properly going off he was already exhausted. He had brought three full wagons of mead and had already sold them all by the time the first stall opened and by the time the sun rose he had unloaded the lot to the Arondae estate for a party the Lord was throwing. While he would have liked the chance to promote his brand more at the festival he didn't mind walking away with four times the going rate in his pocket. He took a few barrels off his parents to sell for them on the other side of the Square and set up shop beside Thommy Thimblethin, a glassmaker that had grown up alongside Merriweather, who had a more serious look on his face than ever the mead merchant had seen. "Thommy boy whats got you so gloomy and glowery? Didn't I just see Lady Tristran buy your stained glass window depiction of the Queen? You should be set for a year on that sale alone." The grim faced man shook his head, patting the coin at his belt. "Doesn't mean a thing Merr, not with what's to come." A few silent moments later the glassblower's usual stained tooth grin split his face though it seemed it would take a while to reach his eyes. "So what's got you over on this side of the Square? Thought you sold out on the way in?" "Ohh I did, just took a couple casks from Mum and Dad to sell for them. Make it easier on folks and not limit them to walking all the way across the Square." "Good idea, good idea. Wish it was a different day though." The smile fell again as the other merchant looked at his wares. "Look Thommy I don't know what is going on with you but you can have a cup or two on the house. Whatever it is we can talk about it." The frown just grew deeper but soon Lord Huirun took the stage and they had to stop their idle chat. Before the speech could truly begin the world ended. The Kite exploded in an flare of near blinding light and a sound that reverberated within the chest of all gathered.

"What was tha..." Thommy grabbed him from behind and Merriweather fell backward in shock, knocking the knife out of his old friend's hand as he fell to the ground. "Thommy what..." "Shoulda been a different day Merr, was gonna rush past you and shank Jed but orders are order." The glassblower started stomping on the portly booze bargainer and he felt his ribs creaking, the smaller man stronger than his size would account for. Merriweather pulled the dagger out from beneath him and cut wildly at his friend's leg and through luck or divine interference the blade sliced through the other man's tendons. When Thommy fell to the ground Merriweather jumped atop him and put his weight upon the dagger, shoving it through his former friend's chest. He stood with bloody dagger in hand and in just the few short moments of their altercation the festival had erupted into chaos. People were screaming running from others with bloody weapons in hand chasing them down, guards were trying to help where they could but many of them were surrounded by even more blood drenched maniacs with other, more grotesque, forms among them. After few seconds of standing with his mouth partially agape he realized what was happening, Kenebres was under siege from the inside. He heard a roar and looked up, shadows falling over him as two titans fought in the sky, Deskarii himself scything through Terendelev. For all the great dragon's power she was little more than wheat to be culled by the Demon Lord. As they fell from the sky one of the wounds Terendelev managed to inflict upon the Demon Lord spilt blood that splashed across Merriweather and he could feel his skin freezing before he looked on in horror as boils began to cover him, quickly erupting into a swarm of bees crawling from his flesh, the holes left quickly healing though the flesh on his torso was now covered in minute scars everrywhere the blood had touched. The bees swarmed about him with the same body language they would show a queen, their existence simply waiting for a command.

Merriweather had little chance to test his theory before another roar rent the air and the dragon smashed into the temple as everyone screamed around him while the world opened up. They began to fall into a rift that tore through the earth. The great dragon left them one final blessing as they slowly fell into the earth, death delayed but almost certainly not denied.

Last edited by MundayKnight; May 5th, 2022 at 12:29 PM.