Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Serenity > Freedom's Flight
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 28th, 2022, 01:52 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27633
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
It's A Lost Art

Game On
Reno Skyplex

It's strictly airlock connections at places hanging out in the black, and this skyplex is no different.

Fuel and provisions can be bought, though the latter really isn't needed as it was a short sail from Hera to this place. Provisions are always needed - if the price is right.

But, Docking isn't charged by the week here and the price is a fraction of what it would be on a world so as not to deter travelers. It's 10 Credits a day, less than a third of the cost at even the cheapest border worlds docks. The cost covers administrative fees, the power hookup, a septic flush, and fresh water fill.

Now, David and Kierra just need to find enough crew to help them manage the ship and get jobs since all the rest bailed on them after that crazy Job with 'The Fox.'

What's nice about a station like this is that all kiosks are interlinked so you can find out anything about any docked ship, or any shop in moments. That said, the number of walking vendors is almost countless as are pickpockets and con artists.

Old Jul 28th, 2022, 05:37 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4081
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
David Stone
right-aligned image
Stone "Hey Kierra, I'm off to checkon a bounty . I'll be back. If it's a big job maybe you can help. We need to name our ship. I suggest The Hunter, cause we are always hunting jobs, also I'm a bounty hunter. Ohh and my comp shows no current bounties on our current and former crew. We should be good to stick around do a few small side jobs find a few new crew." He stated.

He hoped he could get this alliance bounty ID he asked for. It'll help with landing on core worlds and alliance
Shop stops and searches. They tend to be more lienant to those they employ. As many jobs as he's done for them they shouldn't have any problems granting the alliance lienced Id. He already has a basic bounty ID but that don't get you the landing permits. Just less hassled.

If he's going to be on a ships crew he'd prefer to help in that department. They don't even know he has medical training so he's a avg pilot and Fighter. That's really all they know.

" And remember I can pilot this thing if we don't find another pilot around. Just don't expect anything fancy . I can take off set a course and land . Just the basics. " He reminds Kierra.

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Jul 30th, 2022 at 06:51 AM.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 10:31 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25402
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Kierra Sinclair
right-aligned image

Kierra hadn't thought finishing the job would be so rough on her. Whether deciding that life in The Black wasn't for them, or perhaps seeking greener pastures elsewhere, just about everyone had gone their separate ways once they reached Reno Skyplex. Just when I was starting to get used to everyone, she sighed. It was probably hardest to say goodbye to Breton, though the other woman wasn't given to long goodbyes. Kierra felt like they'd just begun to connect and suddenly she was alone with someone who'd just hired on the last job.

She was surprised that David wanted to stay, as she understood bounty hunting to be a somewhat solitary activity. Perhaps he just sees a way to get a ship for himself, she pondered with no small degree of anxiety. Though that didn't necessarily track either, since Firefly-class freighters weren't necessarily a bounty hunter's dream ship. It was possible that he just wanted to sell it for a new ship, but the resale value for the old clunkers was practically nil. And David had thus far proven himself to be reliable. Hopefully, he stays that way and doesn't abandon me...or, what's the word? Maroon me, that's it. Though, even if he did take off and leave her in Reno, she'd really be no worse off than she was when she signed on, so she decided to stay and see how things played out.

David announced that he was checking bounties, and also recommended naming the ship Hunter. She blinked in surprise at this, asking, "Doesn't the ship already have a name? It's...it's, um...isn't it called...oh. Hrm..." She tapped her lips thoughtfully, wondering if she'd never actually bothered to learn the name of the ship. Shrugging, she agreed, "Hunter it is!" I'll probably just keep calling it 'The Ship' anyway, so what difference does it make? she smirked inwardly. "Okay, go have fun, try not to cause any trouble. I'll stay here and interview applicants."

It was an odd feeling, waiting with the ship to see who might try to sign on. Technically, she was captain by default/process of elimination/chain of command. Not that she really had any idea how to captain a ship, mind you. The only examples she'd seen were Xhou and Vic, and it was always kind of ambiguous at any given time which one was 'in command'. They just kind of...did stuff that needed doing. Seems like a pretty good system to me, she decided, though if anyone challenged her, she had no idea how she'd deal with it. Probably just have David beat them up.

"Hello, I'm Kierra Sinclair, captain of Hunter," she practiced. Hearing the words out loud brought a smile to her face. Still, it was a hollow thing to be 'captain' of a crew of two. I...suppose we'll need to recruit, she thought, though she really had no idea how to go about that in this place. "Well...stick to what you know, I suppose," she murmured, pulling out her databook. Surely there would be some sort of classified section on the Cortex for people looking to hire on a freighter? Finding a place to sit where she could still guard the ship, she began looking for any sort of listing of available crew on the station. It was a start, though if she hadn't found anything by the time David came back, they'd have to do it the way they did it in the shows...start hitting seedy bars.

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Jul 29th, 2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19251
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Hasan Bashar - Pilot
right-aligned image
Character Sheet

Carrying his ruck on his shoulders and pulling along a small, wheeled case that contained his personal Vac-Suit, Hasan felt lucky to be walking the corridors of Reno Skyplex, especially after the rest of his former crew had been pinched shortly after docking. If nothing else, 'staying on the ship' had paid off as his face hadn't appeared in the waves of the crime they'd bumbled. Claiming ignorance had been easy. They'd not included him in on the truth of their plans, and despite the authorities not really believing him at first, between his talent for persuasion and the lack of evidence against him, they'd been forced to let the 'just a pilot' go.

He'd spent the better part of the past two days looking for a new posting, but it seemed pilots weren't one of the usually desired positions, despite being one of the most important aboard a ship. It figured. How else would one dock with a space station without having a pilot? Stolling past the same airlocks as he had numerous times before, he'd avoided the draw of listing himself on the Cortex if only so his father didn't learn of his location. Despite how things had gone, he knew the man, or more specifically his mother, well enough to know he'd make life hard for the son until Hasan had no other choice than to go home.

In the bustle of folks moving this way and that, forcing the pilot to make the most of his thin frame, he caught the faintest flash of blue and swore her heard someone proclaim themselves a 'Captain' sitting outside one of the numerous, occupied airlocks that brought him to a screeching halt. Turning halfway and looking as far over his shoulder as he could, Hasan spotted a woman that looked way too young to be claiming to be such…but who was he to judge? Maybe she'd won a lottery or inherited the ship from a parent. Such things weren't unheard of in the 'Verse.

Getting bumped a few times, and being almost entirely too quick to apologize to anyone he might have offended, Hasan strolled up to the woman, case wheeling behind him. Offering as friendly a smile as he could manage as he set the case to standing on its end, he let the handle go to reach out the hand in greeting, "Hi! Did I hear you say you were a Captain?" The man leaned to the side to take a look out the viewport to spot the Firefly-Class vessel docked behind her. "Firefly, huh? Series 3, right? I can tell by the smaller dimensions. I've got experience with the Series 4, but never flown one of those."

It was then Hasan remembered he'd forgotten the actual important bits of the conversation. "Oh! Sorry. Name's Hasan Bashar. You wouldn't be lookin' for a pilot, would ya?" He hoped, nearly prayed, but was sure doing so would have others thinking he was More or less out of his mindWu Toh Wu Now.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 04:43 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Game OnReno Skyplex

As 'Stone' moves towards the office which like everything else on this Skyplex is a business that does many things, one of which is official business for bounty hunters. It's a franchise, like every other "official" thing on this station of sorts, upon which there is no official Alliance presence. Sure, there's local authority figures, but they're hired and in some cases elected to keep the peace, albeit a "loose piece at that.

'Stone' passes a woman who is scantily clad dancing and juggling, purposely putting herself in his path to get his attention and possibly some coin or credits.

Whether he pauses or not, giving up some hard earned coin/credits or not, he gets to the Bounty Hunter Franchise and is able to get officially placed on the rolls to find a specific Bounty. It's a man calling himself Gerrano Wilson - which is obviously an alias, and he's a known criminal, smuggler, and thief. His picture is available and tied to a few other Aliases that are noted not in use anymore as they are 'burned.' The newest name hasn't been flagged as to not raise suspicion from the man so he'll just change it again and be that much harder to find. Last sighting of him was on a luxury liner called the Star of Sihnon. It's a 5 star luxury liner catering only to the most exclusive clientele. It set sail from Sihnon almost two weeks ago, headed for the Georgia system on a return trip to see all manner of sites in the 'Verse.
Two things stand out on the warrant: 1) Someone like Wilson would stand out on the liner as he's not a high end conman or charlatan. 2) There's a warning that he had recent contact with the Heilong Commandos.

Kierra sees Hasan approaching and both she and Hasan notice a roving Vendor catching a young boy by the arm accusing him of stealing something. It's only a moment, and the merchant vendor retrieves something from the boy and lets him go. This is not out of the ordinary at all, just another fact of life in such a place.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; Jul 29th, 2022 at 04:45 PM.
Old Jul 29th, 2022, 07:22 PM
Shakiest Gun in the Verse

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14669
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
In truth he'd been surprised that Enzo had fired him face to face. The man was clearly terrified of Raife. The severance pay was nice. Not necessary, but nice. Raife had already been looking for a better ride, after all.

All he'd really wanted was transportation off of Regina. Didn't much care where they were going. That he'd managed to turn that into paying "work" was probably the cleverest thing Raife had managed in years. Most of all he did was glare at people to keep them clear of the ship and her goods while dockside. Easiest job ever.

The crew of the Cash n' Carry were mostly core-worlders. Raife didn't much care for their collective, ever so slightly, superior attitude. In his opinion they were a bunch of careless, whiny, spoiled children. He might have gotten along better with them if he hadn't actually told them that, very pointedly, several times.

Reno Skyplex was a bit overwhelming to the rangy former-cattleman. The barkers and the signs and the lights and the whores and the damned constant unintelligible drone of hundreds of people all trying to talk over each other all worked at the man's nerves.

Too many people too close and not an honest face among 'em.

He wasn't particularly concerned about loosing his newfound wealth, mind you. Easy come, easy go, after all. What confronted him was the idea of someone actually getting away with stealing it.

"Spend it, idiot," he said loud enough startle as least one shopper.

For the first time he actually looked at the various stalls, screens and vendors to see what they were peddling. Lot's of overpriced, useless, glitzy techocrap. Here and there were things Raife did recognize. There was more that the unsophisticated man couldn't identify, but looked thoroughly unwholesome.

A sign blazed "Guns! Armor! and Things That Go Boom!" Somewhere a speaker pumped out the sounds of gunfire and the occasional explosion.

Yep.

The guns were all either too expensive or looked wholly untrustworthy. Most all of the armor was way too flashy or way too militant for his tastes. There was one particularly fetching vest that caught his eye.

"This armor?" he said as much to himself as anyone else. It was a deep green silk-like fabric with embroidered black thistles and gold threads run through it. A bit richer than was normally his style, but at his last job he was little more than a glorified doorman. May as well look the part.

"Why yes it is, good sir," the retailer started and then began rattling off the virtues and advantages of the garment.

"Shut upBì zuǐ. How much?"

"Um, w-well, that depends on the features you want..."

"This looks like it'll fit. How much for this'n?"

"Well..."

Raife turned to leave.

"Thirty credits. As is. No returns." The shopkeeper barked. His voice showed that he was as tired of Raife as Raife was of him. Not so tired as to miss a sale, however.

"Need some mags for this here," he patted the big iron on his hip, "And a box or two of buck for the scattergun." Raife jerked his thumb behind him to the weapon peaking out of a heavy-looking duffel.

"Gift wrapping?" The man oozed sarcasm. Raife caught the tone, but just barely.

"Is it free?" Raife drawled.

"For you? No."

Raife snorted. "Mind if I use your uplink?"

"If you don't mind the whole complex knowing what you're business is," quipped the retailer.

Raife didn't. He went to the job boards.

Plenty o' work. Not much for me, though. Huh. That looks promisin'. Last Laugh? Sounds, what's the word? Anyway, sounds, what? Interestin'? Give it a look, anyhow. Folks cain't be worse than those idiotsBèndàn on my last job.

Money and goods were exchanged between the two men. Raife gave a lazy salute to the man behind the counter. The retailer replied with a patient grin.

Bay twel-twelve? This place is windier than a still-pipe.

Eventually he found his way to the Last Laugh's airlock. There was a couple standing at the entrance talking.

Hunter? Did she say Hunter? Raife checked his granddad's "pocket watch," a rather ancient looking gold-plated multiband. The deck was right. The bay was right. Even the registry claimed that this was the Last Laugh. He scratched his head.

Worst that could happen is they tell me ta' blow.

He wander closer and waited until the two were done speaking.

Last edited by kenneth; Jul 30th, 2022 at 01:26 AM.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 01:10 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Kierra Sinclair
right-aligned image

Kierra was startled by the man appearing before her, asking...challenging?...if she was a captain. As she stared at him with an uncanny resemblance of a landed trout, he focused his attention on the ship behind her, chatting about the make, model, features, blah blah blah...Oh...I...guess I should know these things if I'm captain? she figured, gathering her wits enough to respond back, heart racing. "Oh, well..." she said in her clipped Coreworld accent, a bit flustered. "It gets us from Point A to Point B, that's the important part." Smooooooth... her brain mocked, but she chose to ignore it.

"Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Bashar," she said, extending a slender hand that had obviously never seen a callous in the young girl's life. "We are, in fact, seeking to hire a pilot. However, we're considering many qualified applicants." Right...one so far, yes? came the voice again. "What kind of experience do you have? And what kind of pay are you looking for?" She almost winced as she heard herself ask the last question. Talking salary so soon? He just introduced himself! Rookie mistake, but she could always just tell the guy to get lost and wait for the next pilot, right? Seriously, just spit in a place like this, and you'll probably hit a...

Looking over Hasan's shoulder, she saw a...huge...MEAN...looking guy glaring at her, apparently waiting to talk with her,. Ohgod, she thought. Ohgodohgodohgod, that guy is going to kill me and take the ship. Or bring me back and make me face charges. Or just...keep glaring at me! Looking around quickly, she didn't see David anywhere. It was just her, the Mountain of Death, and whoever this pilot guy was.

"Know what?" she said, overly-cheerfully. "I'm going to be honest with you. Our last pilot left us in a bit of a lurch, so we can't really afford to be picky. You at least recognize the ship model, and we'll learn soon enough if you can actually fly it well, so you're hired, if you're okay with share options instead of salary?" All true, probably too much so, but Kierra didn't feel like being alone right now. "I'm Kierra...err...Captain Kierra." Damn! she scolded herself. I should've picked a false name. That big guy is within hearing distance! "Obviously not my real name, hahaha..." she stammered with a dismissive wave. "Just a pseudonym." What. The. HELL are you blathering about?! her brain yelled at her. "Anyway, glad to have you onboard. Aboard. On a...well, welcome anyway. We'll get you introduced shortly, you just stay right here next to me so we can get you logged in, okay?"

Kierra had never actually felt the soles of her feet sweat before. Oh, goody...a new learning experience.

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Jul 30th, 2022 at 01:12 AM.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 02:05 AM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Hasan Bashar - Pilot
right-aligned image
Character Sheet

At first, Hasan seemed to mirror the woman's agape appearance as he considered how he might have unsettled her for some reason. Usually Captains were a bit more…audaciousFahn Dahn than this one was acting. His face contorted, of course, when she called him 'Mr. Bashar,' nearly to the point of retching at the thought, but he managed to hold it in, knowing it was important to present oneself in the best possible way when trying to secure employment.

He'd been prepared to answer her questions, as was normal for anyone interviewing a potential pilot, but he never really got the chance. All of a sudden, this girl's…young woman's tune had changed. The situation had gone from, 'many qualified applicants,' to 'you're hired' in the span of a prairie hare's breeding cycle. Hasan had managed an, "Um..," or an, "I..," here and there, but otherwise been smart enough to shut his trap and let the blabbering Captain continue. Wasn't good business to talk your way out of a job, especially one that was already offering up the fairest compensation for a cargo pilot that one could ask for: shares in whatever profits were made. He would have suggested such, if she'd given him the chance.

"Um…Okay?" he responded, quite confused at the first order given to him by his new employer. Usually he'd be sent to find a bunk and deposit his things before checking out the situation in the cockpit, but she must've wanted him there for a reason. "Logged in? Right. Do you need to see my IdentCard for that, Captain?" he asked before starting to pat various parts of his body, seemingly searching for it.

It was in this moment that the tell-tale signs of his Core-World-Raising shined through, as well as potentially raised a few questions. While he was dressed fairly averagely for the type of oddballsChai Neow that had grown up around the Alliance but didn't want to advertise it: faded, pop-culture-logoed t-shirt, heavy work pants and boots, the other bits, like the fancy multiband around his wrist or the high-tech-looking tactical holster attached to his hip that looked like just the kind of thing an Alliance Captain would wear to 'compensate', surely looked out of place. He was even wearing reinforced safety goggles on his head, pressing his long, flat, dark hair down, as well as industrial ear muffs around his neck.

Hasan surely was a Chai Neow if appearance was any indicator, but even that was just one layer to the onion of messed-up he was.

Last edited by Saratek; Jul 30th, 2022 at 02:07 AM.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 07:04 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4081
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
David Stone
right-aligned image
Stone "First I'll need the Alliance bounty ID.
In order to be allowed to board such a vessel of land on some of the places it is going. I'm also concerned about the people on board. I may try and take them out on a stop. If I can. But they are either on that ship for a heist or hostages, my gut tells me.

Also I'll need the reward amount so I know what to offer any help I must aquire. Ohh and is there an update on other bounties alliance or otherwise?"
David asked putting on his most operative look.
Hopefully that will work he really doesn't want to have to intimidate an official.

After a response to his request he returns to the ship to tell the captain if his findings. And hopefully their next job brings into the area of that ship.

He sees the hiring process in swing and of course goes full operative and walks up to stand by Keira. " Captian ."
He said so she would know he was there.

ooc
Dice Roll:
1d6 6
will power
Dice Roll:
1d4 2

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Aug 2nd, 2022 at 06:00 AM.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 09:18 AM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5588
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
Hero was looking for a ship to get off this damned 'Skyplex' She was tired of all her stuff still being packed up in crates and plastic wrapped to a pallet in a storage lockup that was quickly approaching another payment to keep her stuff there. She was tired of jobs that kept her in one place, and while most of her former employers would gladly take her back. It's not what she wanted. Didn't help that she looked like a prizefighter and well she was or had used to be. On top of that, she had a way with words or a complete lack of them. It made it hard, but what was life but a series of hurdles to be overcome?

As she had done for every day she had been here, she wandered up to a kiosk to search for new ships. Wearing her baggy flight suit and that hat which she kept her few measly credits under. Trying to look to all a might less intimidating and more like the grease monkey, she wanted to be. There were a few new ships docked today, none of them looked like they were looking to hire though. However one, the Last Laugh, had no info, no destination, no rates for cargo or passage. Nadda. Which was kinda odd. She figured she'd go check it out.

And so there she was... She walked passed the ugly guy scowling over there, turning to him and putting both her index fingers to her face to draw a smile. Maybe he'd get the hint and smile, it might help... Or maybe not...
She walked straight up to the pair, and raised a hand in greeting with a smile on her face.

With her other hand reaching into the bag on her hip she pulled out two cards, one marked [Thankyou] and the other [Please] and displayed them to the two individuals doing a half shrug with her hands slightly up.

My Posting day is Mondays AEDT (GMT +10/+11)

Last edited by Ghost6442; Jul 31st, 2022 at 06:22 AM.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 07:53 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13455
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
John Williams
left-aligned image
Busking is honest work. Or something like honest work. Honestly it's barely work, other than keeping an eye out for pick-pockets, as John would probably be noodling away on his guitar in his spare time even if it was just in his cramped little room.
Spare time.
That's just about all he has these days, though that's largely by choice. He's waiting you see. Keeping an eye out for just the right ship and crew, and busking lets him stay near the docks themselves without seeming suspicious.

As the boy who'd been caught stealing wanders somewhat dejectedly by, John pauses in his playing and gestures the child over.
"You've got talent lad, but you're going bout it wrong. It's real hard to nick something right in front of someone. Figure out how you can convince someone into giving you a little something to get by. Charming rapscallion like yerself? Bet you could get just about any lady or soft hearted old man to share a little something with you with a lil pout an a “I'm ever so hungry.” Easier'n getting your ears boxed, what?"
John reaches into the deep pockets of his long trenchcoat and comes up with half-a-sandwich and a hunk of cheese wrapped in wax paper. As he leans down to hand it to him, John whispers.
"If that don't work, have a partner who'll nick their purse while you're distracting em."
John gives the kid a wink and a little push to move him on his way.

With that done he goes back to watching the inexperienced “captain” stumbling her way through hiring a pilot. There was some scary gunman looking bloke too, a pilot.
Perfect.
But other people were starting to show up.
Best get in before the other berths fill up.

John gathers up the few silver chips in his guitar case before putting his prized instrument away and grabbing it and his duffle bag.

He follows the muscular bird's lead and strides right on past the sour faced man with a nod and a friendly.
"Afternoon gov."
Once he reaches the now cluster of people he sets down his guitar case and offers his hand to the captain.
"Cheers folks. Name's John Williams, musician extrodinare'."
There's some chance they might have heard of him. If they are into punk rock. And frequent the core worlds. A small chance admittedly, but stranger things have happened.
"I'm looking to do some rambling, and you're looking for some crew. Forgive me for bein a might forward love, but I have a feeling you might more specifically be in the market for a good negotiator?"

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Jul 30th, 2022 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jul 30th, 2022, 09:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Game OnReno Skyplex

As Raife waits on the Conversation taking place by the Airlock to a Firefly ought-3 named 'Hunter', he too noticed the interaction with the merchant and the little ruffian kid caught red-handed trying to steal something.

Hasan quickly noticed that the interaction with the merchant and the kid was staged and he was the Mark. Kierra saw it too, and before the sneaky kid behind Hasan could lift his goods off his person, Hasan turned on the kid and showed he was made.

This likely helped Hasan's hiring in the eyes of his new Captain.

------
Stone realizes the juggling and dancing woman is trying to distract him, so he easily catches the hand of the young kid who is trying to pick his pocket.
He knows he can't hurt the kid, but he can put a scare in him before letting him go.
Looking around, the woman is gone.

The Franchise owner of the business that also did business with collecting and paying out bounties simply said, "Uh-huh", to all of Stone's comments. He clearly didn't give a rat's pigu about Stone's plans or concerns.
He did slap a sheet of smart paper down on the counter and pointed at an older man in a hat. It was the bounty with the ID under it. It paid 10k Platinum or 4k Credits. There were others on the poster that were wanted with higher bounties, and had bounties on them, but only freelance Alliance hunters could go for those. That answered all of Stone's questions from the man who had yet to really utter a word.
He did give Stone an ident card, made of the same flimsy stuff, that showed he was legally able to track the man and bound him by law until he could turn him in for the bounty.

-- ---

As Stone gets back to the ship's docking station, he sees a woman (Hero) and a man (John), and another man (Raife) as well as Kierra speaking to another man (Hasan).
Stone, Hero, Raife, and John also notice a woman with 4 kids begging for food or coin strolling through the area close by. They move close to Hero, Raife, and John, holding out their hands for anything they can spare.

Old Jul 30th, 2022, 11:15 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
Hasan Bashar - Pilot
right-aligned image
Character Sheet

So focused on finding his IndentCard, Hasan didn't think anything of it when his eyes followed his new captain's to a scene going on a short distance away. Patting this pocket and that, a question suddenly came to mind as he noticed both the merchant and the kid he was scolding lock eyes with space jockey. 'Are they looking at me?' It was at that moment he swept a hand back to check one of his back pockets and caught the shadow of a small figure entirely too close to his own out of the corner of his eye.

Spinning around, Hasan snatched a narrow wrist just inches from yanking whatever was in his pocket free. Looking down at the boy with a mix of shock and anger, he tossed the kid's arm to the caught-boy's side as he nearly yelled, "You little Conniving or Scheming PersonGuay Toh Guay Nown! Get outta here and stop running that scheme before some Ruthless or Savage Beast of a PersonChing Soh takes your hand for it! Don't let that Old FoolLao Sah Gwa get you killed before you've even had a chance to live."

Watching the boy skitter off into the crowd with his head hanging with shame, Hasan turned back around to address the captain when he suddenly realized they were not alone. There was a very serious-looking man strapped with some very serious iron. There was a woman wearing an ill-fitting flight suit that made him question 'Why?' albeit with a look in her eyes and silent demeanor that obligated him not to ask. The third and final was a man that certainly had the look and confidence to talk, or charm, his way onto any crew he wanted. Of the three, only the one who'd introduced himself as 'John', who seemed to have a strangely familiar voice even though Hasan couldn't place it, seemed to be, also, looking for work. At least he hadn't said he was a pilot. Hasan hadn't actually shook on the deal yet.

Shaking off his thoughts and focusing on the Captain, with occasional, nervous glances to the others, he couldn't help but blurt out, "Did you see that kid? Tried to lift my wallet," as he reached back to realize it was not his wallet, but a Fruity Oaty Bar in said pocket. Eyes flashing wide at the realization, he'd suddenly remembered, "My IdentCard!" as he reached up to unzip the light, black jacket he wore just a bit further to reach into a pocket just on the inside of the chest to pull the small, high-tech plastic card out and offer it to her with his left hand. "Sorry 'bout that. I should have remembered I tend to keep my cards close to my chest."

It was cheesy, for sure, but Hasan was trying to continue to make a good impression. More 'Crew' meant more 'Shares' to divvy out, and the last thing he wanted was for the young woman to withdraw her very fair offer in light of sudden interest. "We still good on that arrangement for me to fly this beauty for you?" he asked Kierra as he outstretched his right hand; a clear indication that he meant to make the agreement official.

Last edited by Saratek; Jul 30th, 2022 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jul 31st, 2022, 01:34 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
Kierra Sinclair
right-aligned image

Nothing like nostalgia to bring you back to center.

Kierra knew quite well she was showing her inexperience as captain. Hell, if one wanted to get particular, it was highly debatable whether she really even qualified as captain beyond simple process of elimination and seniority. And her seniority was exactly one full mission. She was out of her depth and she knew it, but there was nothing for it. What else was there, hire someone else to be a captain? She wasn't really sure if anyone hiring out as a captain would be reliable. Probably just a con, looking to scam a ship.

Speaking of scams, Kierra noticed the pickpockets lining up the interviewee as she snapped her lips shut to cut off the stream of babbling and he looked for an ID card. Before she could warn Hasan, he noticed it himself and whirled on the little thief, scolding him and sending him on his way. It reminded Kierra of days not long ago, when she ran with various thieves and other ruffians. Not that she was much of a pickpocket...her specialty was B&E. But several of her 'friends' were filchers, and she was glad Hasan hadn't reacted with violence.

"I did indeed see him," she agreed, feeling confident and focused once more. "You handled it well!" Giving the ID a glance, noting the name for future research, she returned the card and smiled, extending her hand to shake on the deal. "Sounds good. You get us where we need to go safely and quickly, keep us out of trouble, and hold your own, and you'll get an equal share." It was how things had been done last time funds were divvied, and she saw no reason to break the habit.

The big guy to the side was still hanging around, but Kierra had gotten over her initial misgivings about him. In a way, he reminded her of Mack, wherever he'd gotten off to. Not in size, of course...Mack had been huge. But in the don't-mess-with-me fashion similar to David. Could actually be useful, she noted, but before she could ask the creepy guy if he had business, someone else strolled up, apparently looking to sing for their supper. "Greetings, Mr. Williams," she said, giving him the once-over. "We're...not really hiring musicians, if that's what you're asking. What sort of 'negotiation' do you do, exactly?"

The answer was interrupted briefly by a swarm of beggars filtering through. Watching to make sure none of the little beasties snuck onto the ship to steal anything, she kept hands on her property, even though they weren't swirling too closely to her.

Old Jul 31st, 2022, 07:19 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13455
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
John Williams
left-aligned image

"Well luv, I-"
John too is interrupted by the approach of the beggars.
Oh go on ya big ole softie.
With a sigh and a wry smile, John digs into his pocket for the hand-full of silver chits and couple of gold nibs he'd collected busking. No actual platinum sadly, but it's not like they're in high roller territory.
"Ere ya go Miss. Been a quiet morn so aint much, but it'll get a hot meal in you an the little ones. Best ov luck."
Despite the rumbling in his stomach he produces a protein pep bar from his other pocket and offers it to one of the children with a wink.
There goes the rest of lunch. Best get the job Johnny boy or you're gonna have to start pickin pockets too.
He turns back to the captain, blue eyes twinkling.
"As I was saying luv. May not be looking to hire musicians, but I think you'll make a wee exception for me." He holds up his hands. "Not saying you'll hire me to play music exclusive like, but don't discount how it'll ease the long cold miles a black an more black. Aye that negotiation's the real prize. Less I miss my guess you are an independent. Not a browncoat like, but someone without ties tah big buisness."
His face grows serious for a moment.
"Plenty of freedom minded tramp freighters operate on their lonesome out here. An just as many wind oop fallin to their debtors. Narrow margins and a verse as'll take you for every nib means you're only a bad day or two away from goin under. I widen them margins. I'll figger which jobs to pass on an find better. I'll find better pay for the same wehk too."
The twinkle returns to his eye.
"I get my cut right. I get ta see the verse. An maybe play a gig or two where we set down. Some day I ope ta ave me own ship, but I ain't gonna get one busking in Reno."

ooc: If you're curious, I'm trying to emulate a Liverpool/scouse accent. I'll likely tone it down as time goes on to make the posts more readable.

Last edited by SpatulaOdoom; Aug 2nd, 2022 at 12:37 AM.