Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Serenity > Freedom's Flight
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 01:22 AM
Shakiest Gun in the Verse

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14669
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Raife locked eyes with the skinny, dirty waif with his hands in the big man's bag. Raife said nothing. He didn't even move. The child slowly removed his grubby hand and backed away.

A slightly sinister smile crept across Raife's face. "Good choice," he growled.

Then he spoke to the woman who lead the litter of thieves. His voice was quiet, calm and ice cold.

"I know you think yer doin' right, 'cause you got babes ta feed. But I promise you, you cain't raise humans this way. All you'll get is pronounced: KAI-yoatscoyotes."

Raife works his jaw like he's chewing a particularly juicy thought.

"And some day, maybe 'fore they're even growed, someone'll gun your babies down. And that someone'll know they done right. 'Cause all a coyote's good fer is mischief and malice and the verse already has plenty o' that."

With a heavy, deliberate sigh Raife straightens and saunters over to the woman. He draws out an over-stuffed, worn velvet coin purse from his front pocket and plops it into the woman's hand.

"Find a better way."

He backs away, never breaking eye contact until he's back to his bag. Raife then gives the woman a lazy salute and returns to his own thoughts.

Last edited by kenneth; Aug 2nd, 2022 at 01:30 AM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 06:13 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4081
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
David Stone
right-aligned image
Stone looks at the faces in the line. And compares them to all the bounties he scanned into his smart book from the bounty office. This last one looks more like a killer than a merc. The musician looks more like a con man than anything. He'll have to watch them closely. " Captian I have a job, to run by you. If you haven't found one already. But if you don't want to help. It's OK just take a few jobs that'll get me to one of the right places. I'll give you the details when your done here." David says. Then he again looks to see if any of these match new bounties. " Captian ." He nods as he steps back to the ship and watches. Thinking she can handle this part ok.

ooc
[dice]1d6 /dice] will power
[dice]1d4 /dice]

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Aug 3rd, 2022 at 02:44 PM.
Old Aug 2nd, 2022, 11:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 27633
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Game OnReno Skyplex

As Raife gives the woman 300 credits, she replies in a loud voice, "Blessing on youZhufu ni", as if more of a command to others listening than actually thanking him for his very generous donation to her.

Immediately, the children around the area that were really good at hiding, come to her side. One young girl, no more than 9, pauses and lights one of John's silk Cigarettes with his own silver lighter, blowing smoke in his direction and then tossing the pack and the lighter at him as she runs past the woman. The woman says to Raife, "Blessing on youZhufu ni sorry, please forgive my mistakedu b qa qang yan ling wa", and bows, taking her leave with way more children that you saw before in her wake.
The last kid, a young boy of around 6 years old pauses, shakes Hero's Micro transmitter that was her person, puts it up to his ear, and frowns before running up to her and putting it in her hand with a smile and running along.

It is very clear that the woman's comments were code to the children to back off and return anything they'd taken from this group.

Kierra now realized that the woman who had just been give the Micro Transmitter from the little thief, had handed her two cards with writing on them.

Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 12:05 AM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 19251
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Hasan Bashar - Pilot
right-aligned image
Character Sheet

A heavy weight was lifted off the pilot's shoulders with the shake of that hand. Just as quickly as she'd made the deal with Hasan, the Captain was turning her attention to the musician that was attempting to talk his way onto the crew. It wasn't his business who was offered a place on the crew, only that he got that crew where it was supposed to go.

Realizing that the man carrying the serious iron was already part of the crew, Hasan reached back to grab the handle of his wheeled case and stepped to the side to let the Captain continue her business. Offering his hand to the man that he hadn't yet exchanged names with. "Hello. I'm Hasan. Captain, there, just hired me on as your new pilot," he greeted Stone.

If the man had nothing more to say to him besides the exchanging of names and traditional greeting, Hasan struggled slightly to lift his case over the airlock seal before making his way to the interior of the ship. He paused after only a few paces to call back, "Is there a specific bunk that is mine, or should I just find one that ain't inhabited?"

Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 01:24 AM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13455
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
John Williams
left-aligned image

When the big galoot hands over a bag of jingling coin, John gives him a second look.
A real look.
Not the passing glance he'd received before.

Even if every coin is a silver chip, it's more than a week's earnings for John. If it's platinum, it's probably more than John's entire savings. Even if the guy is loaded, and he doesn't look it, that's mighty generous to lowlife scabs. Actually it seems the more loaded a bloke, the stingier he is with his coin. Might be a connection there.

John locks eyes with him.
"Always the little ones what cut to the quick, eh?"
John has always had a soft spot for children too.
He offers the man his hand.
"Good show mate. Names John. John Williams. Don't believe I caught yers, Mr.?"
John might not agree with his sentiment on whether living by your wits and taking what the world won't give is right or not. Sometimes there isn't a better way. Sometimes the universe just decides to go for the throat and you've gotta turn half-animal just to survive. And a coyote will survive while a sheep gets eaten. But he's not going to disrespect the man's gesture by saying it outright.

When the kid throws back not only his pack of smokes but his lighter John can't help but bark out a laugh. He hadn't even seen her.
"Not bad lass.
I'd let ya keep the pack just for getting one over on ole John, but it's an orrible habit."

He then promptly lights one up himself before sticking the stuff back in his trench coat and tipping an invisible hat at the young girl.

Cigarette dangling from his lips, John turns his attention back to the group at large. Curious about the muscular woman who hadn't spoken yet.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 10:57 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25402
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Kierra Sinclair
right-aligned image

Kierra arched a brow at first when the musician started trying to smooth-talk her into hiring him.Does he think he's that charming? she wondered, tilting her head up at him, or do I just look like that much of a pushover? She realized that being young and looking 'soft' (well...okay, she was a bit soft-handed, especially standing next to David Stone) could be quite an advantage if she were underestimated. Then again, the trick was to make sure they were wrong about you when they underestimated you. And unless it had to do with computer things, she couldn't claim an abundance of experience. She'd have to learn, and fast.

Fortunately, Pretty Boy had listed another qualification, one they did actually need...Public Relations. Their time with The Fox had highlighted how woefully underpowered they were in negotiation, smoothing things over, or basically anything that wasn't a criminal act. Might be nice to actually avoid trouble before it started, once in awhile. And he seemed to make friends easily enough, chatting up the guy who'd paid off the urchins. "Alright, Mr. Williams," she said when he was done talking to the leathery man. "You're right, we could use a front man for negotiations, and having some live music won't hurt either. As long as you're with the ship, you'll get a share of any jobs we do, so long as you contribute." She extended her hand with a smile, "Kierra Sinclair, captain of Hunter."

Turning to include Hasan, she told them, "You can stow your gear aboard and pick out a bunk. There's one single bunk left unclaimed, else you'll need to double-up with a roommate. Hasan was hired first, technically, so he's got a claim to that if he wants." She nodded toward the ship by way of introducing them to her. "Welcome aboard! We'll be taking off as soon as our business is concluded here."

Next up was a tough-looking lady who showed Kierra two cards. Glancing skeptically at both the woman and the cards, at first she wondered if it were some sort of magic trick. First, a musician, and now a magician? she sighed. "Are we a traveling circus, now?" But the cards merely said "Thank you" and "Please". The woman herself hadn't said anything yet. "Um. I'm afraid I don't understand," she said with obvious confusion. "Do...you understand me? Do you speak English?" If there were a language barrier, it might be a bit of a problem, unless they acquired a translator of some sort, mechanical or otherwise. Communication was too important on a ship to worry about not being able to understand each other.

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Aug 4th, 2022 at 10:08 AM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 11:27 AM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Hasan Bashar - Pilot
right-aligned image
Character Sheet

Hasan wasted not a second of time before calling out, "DIBS!" despite the introduction he was attempting with Stone. He was woefully unaware of the interaction going on between the Captain at the non-speaking woman. He'd probably assumed something incorrectly about her, so it was probably best that he was too focused on making friends with the scary one instead of putting his foot in his mouth. At least he'd have a bunk to himself, which was preferably when you were a pilot that would work weird hours to ensure the ship stayed constantly on-course.

Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 01:32 PM
Shakiest Gun in the Verse

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14669
kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth kenneth
Raife Gilkyson
left-aligned image
Raife forced his expression to lighten when the musician spoke to him.

"Gilkyson, but I don't stand much on formalities. You can call me Raife." He proffered a calloused hand to John with a thin smile.

"Don't imagine I did 'em much good. Like to piss it all away or have it filched by some'em higher up the food chain. Half o' them kids like ta be playin' in the bone garden 'foren the decade's done."

A cloud of thought swept over the former cattleman's face. He batted it away.

"Anyhow, the good lord works in mysterious ways. I was wondren' why I got such a big walk-away from m' last outfit. Way too much bacon for the time served. Then, when I saw Mama, I got a notion that maybe He put it in my hand sos I could put it in hers."

Raife chuckled at himself.

"Yeah, I know it sounds daft. And mind you, I ain't sayin' me and the Almighty 'er close. Fact is, ever time I'm in dire need, He seems to be on the other side 'o the verse pickin' a cat out of a tree." There was a edge of bitterness in that last sentence.

"But, the batter's in the iron. All we can do now is see if it waffles. Nice jawin' with ya, Williams was it? Hope ya get a bunk."

Last edited by kenneth; Aug 3rd, 2022 at 01:53 PM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 02:53 PM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0 BlackDragon0
David Stone
right-aligned image
Stone looks at Hasan. " There are bunks available .But if you go near mine you won't be needing one. I can show you around if you'd like. After she is fine here. Also she did just say you have first pick. So there's no rush. How aboutyou tell me why you wish to crew with the Hunter? Why you wish to be it's pilot? You don't have the looksofond who needs credits." David says. Blocking the ships entrance . (Hire or not we need a bit of security here.) Thinks David " The Captian will be done soon." He adds. Making sure to show he isn't suggesting.

ooc
[dice]1d4 /dice]

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Sep 10th, 2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old Aug 3rd, 2022, 07:38 PM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
Hasan Bashar - Pilot
right-aligned image
Character Sheet

Hasan was confused by the sudden interruption in what would normally be acceptable behavior, but he was not deterred. Mention of his own threads only caused him to look the man up and down a moment before stifling a chuckle. "I'd say that's a hefty assumption you are making there, if you are only going by what you can see alone. I could ask the same of you? By the looks of ya, I'm unsure what your position is on the crew…but I am curious about how come you stand so tall but have mighty small hands…and feet," he remarked while craning to the side to look at the man's boots. Popping back up to standing straight, he smirked at the man, "Makes one wonder..."

Letting out a heavy sigh, having had his fun, Hasan's greeting had not elicited the expected response. "Unless you have another pilot hiding in there," he said looking past the man in the direction of the ship, "you are in need of one, and the Captain just hired me on giving the sense you lacked one. So, again, I'm Hasan, and I'm your new pilot. And you are…?" While he had no intention of invading the man's bunk, he was curious what the man's name was; 'Proper Introductions' and all that entails.

Last edited by Saratek; Aug 3rd, 2022 at 08:04 PM.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 02:32 AM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13455
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
John Williams
left-aligned image

Raife's words take a lot of the swagger out of his step. While he's still smiling, it has a certain forced cast to it.
"Let's not ruin good vibes by bringin God into it. If you ah worried bout folk turnin kids
into shysters an animals you'd ave to bin the entire bloody church you would. Buncha prats."

John sighs and shakes his head ruefully.
"Sorry mat- I mean sorry Raife. Me'n god don't get on. Some day if ya get me drunk enough I might even tell ya why. Mean time you ought probably see bout getting your own bunk before they're all full up."
John gestures Raife towards the woman doing the hiring only to see her looking at him expectantly.
Apparently she'd made up her mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierra
"Alright, Mr. Williams, you're right, we could use a front man for negotiations, and having some live music won't hurt either. As long as you're with the ship, you'll get a share of any jobs we do, so long as you contribute." She extended her hand with a smile, "Kierra Sinclair, captain of Hunter."
This news returns John's smile full force. Not that there had really been any question he was going to be aboard when she shoved off.
"Capn Sinclair eh. Does ave a certain ring to it."
John Shakes the woman's hand.
"Kierra, I think this is the beginnin o'a beautiful friendship. If you'll excuse me, this gear is getting pretty heavy an I'd like to stash it in the hold afore we talk business proper."
He slings the duffel bag over his shoulder and heads for the ramp of the Firefly only to find that the new pilot and the fellow trench coat aficionado appear to be in some sort of argument.
"Ere now, there some issue gentlemen?"
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 07:22 AM
BlackDragon

Tools
User Statistics
David Stone
right-aligned image
Stone looks at Hasan. " I am first officer DavidStone. Former operative with more than 100 hand to hand kills. More with blade. I have been trained for most positions on a ship. I do believe I asked you questions. " David says. (Hire or not we need a bit of security here.) Thinks David " The Captian relies on me for security and my skills. I may not be as good a pilot as you which remains to be seen. But I'm sure I'd do wellenough if needed. So would you simply answer my questions while we wait. I'd like to be sure the captain won't need me before I turn my back. " He adds. Making sure to show he is unfazed by the ridiculous comments about his hands and feet.

He see the musician/ conartist approach. And he asks a question. He akes a moment to answer before he tries to continue to get to know Hasan. " We are waiting to be certain that the captain doesn't need me before we board. As you may have herd Hasan has dibs on bunks. You might just be sharing one with your friend over there." He tells the man.

ooc
[dice]1d4 /dice]

Last edited by BlackDragon0; Aug 4th, 2022 at 07:55 AM.
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 09:04 AM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
Hasan Bashar - Pilot
right-aligned image
Character Sheet

Giving the man a genuine smile, "See? That wasn't so hard. It's my pleasure to meet you, David. As for your questions, that'd be simple. Piloting ships is all I've ever known; all I've ever been good at. It's my passion. Now you may be thinkin' because of my fancy watch or my fancy pistol that I'm not in need of a job. You'd be wrong. I only have enough to my name to get off this station to a different rock, but after that, I'm probably broke as anyone else in the 'Verse. These," he said holding up his left wrist and placing a hand on the fancy weapon, "Are more for show. Grew up on a Core World, so making a show of your success is to be expected. It also helps me get jobs with crews, so in they don't think i'm just some idjit claiming to be something I'm not."

"If'n we're talking the 'Hunter' specifically: you all were the first I found lookin' for a pilot. Gotta say 'The Hunter' is certainly the name of a ship that's due to draw Alliance and other nefarious attention. Thought I saw on the display boards this was called the 'Last Laugh'? That was definitely a name that would cause less attention depending on who we encounter in the black."

"Which reminds me," he said before turning his back to David and focusing his attention on the Captain, "Heya, Captain. Are the 'Ship's Papers' up to date with the new name? I don't want to be flyin' your vessel here, run across an Alliance patrol, and then us all get detained because of a clerical error. If'n you like, I can see to it that they get updated before we leave? Could even take your 'first mate' here with me so he knows I'm not tryin' to hoodwink you."

Old Aug 4th, 2022, 09:39 AM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5588
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442

Hero gives Kierra a flat unimpressed look, she points to her mouth and then shakes her head. She reaches out to tap the cards, but doing so realises they were the wrong cards. Clearly, someone had messed them up. Probably the kid who took her Micro Transmitter. She takes back the two cards and pulls a stack from her bag, flipping through them quickly to find the [Hello, My name is Hero] and [Mechanic For Hire] cards to show to Kierra. Hero hands these new cards to Kierra.

As Hasan talks about the ship's name. She gives a thumbs down every time he says 'Hunter'. When he calls it the 'Last Laugh' she points at him before giving him two thumbs up.

My Posting day is Mondays AEDT (GMT +10/+11)
Old Aug 4th, 2022, 09:50 AM
Bad Robot

Tools
User Statistics
Hasan Bashar - Pilot
right-aligned image
Character Sheet

Hasan quickly picks up on what the silent woman is putting out thanks to his finely attuned eyes, "See? Even the Mute Mechanic thinks 'The Hunter' is a questionable name. Not sayin' 'Last Laugh' ain't good, but it's certainly got less of a 'antagonistic' ring to it."

Taking note of the card with her name, Hasan, having turned to the others talking up the Captain, offers a hand to the freelance mechanic, "Hasan. Pleasure to make your acquaintance, Hero. Cool name. Hope'n that means you'll be our Hero if somethin' goes wrong with this beautiful Class-3 Firefly, here. I know they ain't nothin' to keep flyin', but, even though I'm a good pilot, I'm only good at emergency jury-riggin' if the time calls for it."

If Hero decides to take the offered hand, Hasan reacts subtly to the impressive strength of the woman's grip, making him nervous about disagreeing with the mechanic should they both be signed on as crew, especially given the relatively close working relationship of a Ship's Pilot and Mechanic. He would force a smile, though, and offer, "We should see about gettin' you a DataBook or somethin' if'n your hired so you can just write out what you meanin' to say so you ain't having to rely on these cards. Certainly could expand your available vocabulary."