Other Black Flags in the Ghoul Stars (Rogue Trader) - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 24th, 2022, 11:49 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1722
EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae
Black Flags in the Ghoul Stars (Rogue Trader)

Game NameBlack Flags in the Ghoul Stars (Rogue Trader)
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
ThemeSwashbuckling in spaaaaaaaaace!
FlavourGrimdark pirating.
Plot SummaryIn the darkness of the 41st Millennium, there is only war….

The year is 120.M42. The Great Rift has torn the galaxy asunder. The once grand unified Imperium has been split and the people of the Eastern Fringes find themselves once more cut off from holy Terra. It is only by the skill and cunning of the magnanimous Rogue Traders that the human held worlds have not fallen into separatist anarchy. But even the Traders, holders of rights given by the God-Emperor himself, are not above corruption.

Such corruption has struck the noble House Sheyln. Though not the largest of houses, the Sheyln line is noted for producing people of swift cunning and a willingness to do whatever is needed to complete a task. It was these traits that prompted the late family patriarch Silas Sheyln, who was laid weak with a foul plague, to announce his youngest child, Gabriela, as his successor just before his passing.

Sadly, greed pulls strongly at even the most steadfast of hearts. Feeling slighted and knowing that their sister had no heirs of her own yet, Gabriela's three elder siblings banded together and ambushed her fleet on its way back from their father's funeral. Nearly the entire group was destroyed, and the ships that were salvageable were press-ganged into service among the usurpers.

However, their ultimate goal was a failure. Gabriela's flagship, the Blade of Saint Katherine, managed to survive and escape the fray. Limping her way across ancient warp routes, the Lady Sheyln managed to make it to the fortress world of Orask. The past eighteen solar months the poor craft has been moored there, with Gabriela pulling in every favor she had to refit and reman it as quickly as possible.

And among that crew is you lot, a swarthy mess of the scraps of what qualifies for Humanity out here. Whether by age-old oath, recent favor, or just the promise of coin, you have given yourselves to the true heir of House Sheyln, and in the Emperor's name it is now your task to see her plans come to fruition.

And may He have mercy on anything in her way.

ApplicationThis game will be played using Rogue Trader, and all of the officially published sources for this game are fair game (Yes, this includes playing as a sanctified Xenos) Be sure to check out the Errata as well, as it may answer some of your questions.

The following sources from Lodge Blackman Games will also be allowed: Abhuman Character Guide (all except Squats), Eldar Character Guide (all), Legends of the Expanse (all), Necron Character Guide (armory only), Xenos Character Guide (Jokaero, Loxatl, Slann, Sslyth, and Vespid only).
Characteristics will be determined by the standard 100 point buy.
All characters will be starting at Level 1 with the standard starting experience points.

Application Requirements
All Applications are to be completed by Sunday, September 18th at 11:59pm EST
Name:
Career: The Rogue Trader career is not allowed at this point due to plot reasons, but anything else is free game
Origin Path: Just lay out the plan. In the name of fun, I will allow one "free space" row that does not have to follow the path. (Any questions on what this means, feel free to ask)
Description: Pictures are allowed, but something in writing is required. Not just the physical, but the personality as well.
Background: How in the name of the Warp did they get here?

Good day fellow roleplayers! Once again I'm back at it with the madness, bringing up a fun little homebrew Rogue Trader game for everyones enjoyment. My overall theming with this game is to be an easy to enter adventure for those new to the now ancient system, while still having some depth for more experienced peeps. Deep knowledge of the system or of 40K lore in general is not required, though suggested for certain more technical things. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, as I'm a huge 40K nerd myself.

If things sound familiar here, its because a few years ago I did try to get this game off the ground before here. If you applied there and want to bring in the same character, feel free to copy-paste your old application. For those joining us for the first time, feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. There is currently no set closing date, once the official application process finishes that will be updated. Expected posting rate is 1/week.

Last edited by EmmaRae; Sep 6th, 2022 at 06:41 PM.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 11:50 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae
The List of Applicants

Character Name Player Name Career Path Race Completion
Restov Bier-gon psuedenim Seneschal Human Incomplete
Zek Widmer Ursinorum Astropath Transcendent Human (Psyker) Complete
Asaris Marduke Rylus Seneschal or Arch-Militant Eldar Incomplete
Fetch hafrogman Void Master Human Complete
Aristopholes Church Hotshot lasgun Arch-Militant Human Incomplete
Aine Windcall Seeks Path of the Artisan (Poet) Eldar Complete
Austin Berhatz Solitaire64 Explorator Human (Gue'vesa) Incomplete
Ernst Draven MadOnTheInternet Arch-Militant Human Complete

Last edited by EmmaRae; Sep 3rd, 2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 01:55 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1164
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
Consider this a mark of interest in serving the emperor

Application
Name: Restov Bier-gon

Career: Seneschal

Origin Path: Imperial World -> Savant -> Duty bound -> Press-Ganged (free) -> Renown

Description:

Something in writing is required. Not just the physical, but the personality as well.

Background:
Originally from Masali Restov showed a knack for handling trade (goods as well as info) and as his aptitude increased so did his renown and his like for the attention and accolades. He also came to the attention of a (much) House larger than his own and was taken on as adopted apprentice. To develop his skills he spent the rest of his youth on Konor where he made friends/contacts with academics attached to the Adeptus Mechanicus as well as developing a keen interest in knowledge outside of his home system.

Throughout this time he has been heavily exposed and indoctrinated into the Imperiums Creed and this has only been reinforced by events during the Plague wars that have ravaged the sector he calls home. The threat of Chaos did several things to Restov: It reinforced his belief that the God-Emperor and the Imperium are essential to humanities survival. It made him more aware of just how vast and dangerous the Galaxy truly is. It started a dangerous interest in Forbidden Lore in an effort to better understand the dangers out there.

Feeling he can do better by spending his time assisting in humanities defence he asked his patron House for the chance to ply his skills out in the galaxy. They agreed with some conditions such as not bringing his House into disrepute, looking for opportunities for new trade and to share any unexpected findings, whatever they might be. Restov was too keen to accept to fully consider the implications of what he had agreed to as he accepted some lose wording in return for this chance at some freedom.

Restov found out a few days later when he was quickly packed up by the armed contingent of a trader ship passing through. Apparently he had been 'contracted' (sold felt more appropriate) to a Trader working on something for his patron House. His time on this ship was full of druddgery working with agents of the Administratum building up to downright manipulation of manifests. Never to lie only to misdirect and misrepresent and as part of his education to assist with this he was given access to information about other species that could only be classed as enemies of humanity. He is now conflicted about his patron House or parts of it but having no proof or any wrongdoings he has girdled his faith now that he knows there are more dangers to man than he knew.

Having finished this 'sentence' he found himself a free agent again but on Orask this time, where his skills helped him find a new contract with Lady Sheyln and whilst the risks are high the rewards could be even higher for his patron House and himself.

Now that Restov is back ploughing his own path he has also regained that earlier enthusiasm for the accolades, prestige and power that come with increased rank. Striving to save humanity does not mean constant sacrifice, there are rewards there too (some given some taken) as can be seen with the Lords and Nobles of the Imperium. This current problem for Lady Shelyn has shown Restov that there is still a need for a a worthy and faithful hand at the high tables to ensure the Imperium does not fall due to Heretics and Traitors - something a man like Restov could provide.

Last edited by psuedenim; Sep 5th, 2022 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Press-ganged taken as a freebie
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 02:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2017
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
im wanting to play a mutant arch-militant.

also question for the homebrew, do we add the stuff we get from the path as well as the stuff we get from the arcehtype?
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 02:22 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotshot lasgun View Post
also question for the homebrew, do we add the stuff we get from the path as well as the stuff we get from the arcehtype?
Yes. Origin Path is where you come from, Career Path is what you do. Both of them give all kinds of goodies.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 02:50 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2017
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
ok, thanks
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 09:55 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13455
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Awww, you can't play the RT. Guess I'll figure something else out.
So from the information given this will be some sort of war against her enemies? Are more combat oriented characters preferrable?
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 10:29 PM
His divine shadow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7403
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Wow the ghoul stars. You really want a tpk then? Lol
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 10:30 PM
Let there be fire again

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3787
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
While I would need to get the book, I am game for Rogue Trader. I had fun with Only War when I played it a few sessions, and I am game to try some xenos and run some lasguns for the God-Emperor. Likely playing an Eldar or Ork if I do, or seeing the other allowed xenos.

My knowledge of Warhammer 40k isn't great, but I am intrigued from what I saw. If this gets enough hopeful players, I will see if I can get the core rules and apply properly. My answer is thus between a yes and a maybe. Don't wanna grab the rules if there aren't enough players.
Old Aug 24th, 2022, 10:46 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom SpatulaOdoom
Also... Why no Squats? Do you hate Squats? Are you secretly in cahoots with GW?
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 01:01 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpatulaOdoom View Post
Also... Why no Squats? Do you hate Squats? Are you secretly in cahoots with GW?
No actually I love them, however the rules were written before they came back, and I don't feel like they properly now fit the Kin.

Also for your other question, you will be helping her reclaim her empire, so the Lady Sheyln will need help in every capacity.
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 04:54 PM
Pretty cool Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
That's the great thing about lore and/or Canon. You can ignore what you don't like.

I think I'll play a human on that case. Can't let things become a total Monster Mash.
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 05:16 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1164
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
For those without the book(s) are there any online resources we can refer to?
Old Aug 25th, 2022, 05:35 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Sadly not a lot. The book is still available in PDF form on DriveThroughRPG (though it does have them listed under the new license holder Cubical 7 as opposed to FFG who published them). I was able to find the Forsaken Bounty PDF which FFG published and released for free as an Intro adventure. It has pregen characters and some of the basic rule starts. That is all I can say on the matter...
Old Aug 26th, 2022, 01:14 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3140
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
I've never played in a rogue trader game, or any warhammer games that i can remember. Are you ok with someone who is new to the system applying?