Other Black Flags in the Ghoul Stars (Rogue Trader) - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Aug 27th, 2022, 08:32 PM
Let there be fire again

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3787
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
Frog, good to see ya here too! :o

Consider this my WIP. Will add more info on Monday once I read over the core book. Am borrowing a copy from a gaming pal IRL, at least to get an application in.

Managed to not only borrow a copy of the core rulebook from a regular at the local game store, but got a copy of the Eldar Character Guide as well. As far as I can tell, I think I've got stuff filled out as needed. Lemme know if anything needs correction. As stated before, I know bits and bobs of WH40k lore but don't have extensive knowledge or experience. I've played a few sessions of Only War before, but it's been years. Dunno know much Rogue Trader is different, but will skim the book when I can. For now, here's my application. Can I say I resonate way more with these space elves than I first assumed I would? >_>

Aine, Eldar
right-aligned image

Name: Pronounced "On-yah"; Gaelic is fun, right?Aine Windcall
Career: For an Eldar, this is as close as a human Career as I can tellPath of the Artisan (Poet)
Origin Path: Taken from Eldar Character Guide; xenos don't have an Origin Path like humansPath of the Outcast

Description: Slightly taller than most human women, and a smidge less lanky than most aeldari women. Her skin is pale and freckled, closely resembling a human's general anatomy and, save for her pointed ears, might even pass as one at first glance. Never really a fan of the long ponytails of her fellows, Aine prefers the shorter bun atop her wavy brown hair. When not wearing her old armor from her days as a Guardian, she prefers vibrant cool colors like azure and jade green. While she prefers flowing garments, she has grown accustomed to human attire by now as a sanctified xeno and enjoys more practical outfits. Depending on how close she must stick to her fellows and feign humanity, Aine will swallow her pride and wear whatever backwater world's attire she must to not draw attention.

Like any an Imperial had ever seen of an Eldar, Aine moves with an unnaturally meticulous yet deliberate grace to her. A cat that flows like water doesn't begin to scratch the surface of describing it; nevertheless, she's not so special. All of her species move like this. When not actively serving as warriors, Guardians like Aine uphold a civilian role on their craftworlds between their militia services. Following the path of the Artisan as a poet, she considers herself a veritable bard or storyteller. She is a minstel for both the learned history of the Aeldari, and her own experiences. Folk tales and make-believe alike come forth from her lips in rhythmic recitals, sometimes blending into one as "allegories" or "parables", exaggerating the stories she'd learned or concealing its subjects through characters both fictional and historical from her peoples' extensive past.

Certainly a warrior-poet by nature, she holds an almost wistful appreciation for her role as a protector, even in the company of scoundrels and mercenaries. Though she likes to see herself as a voice of reason and moral fiber, it should be known that the Asuryani Path allows Eldar like Aine to experience their heightened emotions without spiritual risk, not to completely suppress them. Thus at her fiercest, Aine shrieks like a banshee and assails her enemies with a dullahan's cruelty, hellbent on ensuring those she's guarding get out alive. She would give her life for others even if her soul was at risk of Slaanesh devouring it after death. She had failed her duties once. Never again.

Background: For most Aeldari, leaving their craftworld is both a danger to themselves and their people. Standing on the edge of a knife between the revival of their once-dominant species and its utter oblivion, leaving their societies not only threatens their chances of survival in the cruel cosmos, but even their souls. Without links to their Infinity Circuit, a manufactured psicraft afterlife, those who would die outside of a craftworld are often doomed to be devoured by the evil entity their inhuman emotions and diabolic debaucheries spawned: Slaanesh. Many who leave a craftworld in exile are oft mistaken for their horrific counterparts, the Dark Eldar, of whom give into their worst desires as if offering their souls to Slaanesh on a silver plate.

What could drive an Aeldari like Aine to leave the safety of their society? A guilt stronger than anything a human could ever hope to understand. Her failure as a Guardian to her own craftworld, being a survivor to a pyrrhic victory against an attack by Drukhari relatives. Those who were slaughtered were fortunate, their souls sucked into the crystalline consciousness of their Infinity Circuit. But the Dark Eldar who ravaged Aine's drifting spacecraft home didn't want slaughter alone. They came to plunder both resources and bodies alike. When Aine took on the duty of a Guardian, she had done so out of a sense of moral pride. To stand against the cruelties of the cosmos as a stalwart defender. Orks, Dark Eldars, the Tau, and the Imperium of the mon-keighs (or Imperium of Man, as they called themselves) would all have to go through her.

Death did not take her when she fell during the invasion of her home. She came to in a medbay, her armor and her fellows somehow pulling her away from the Drukhari's slaughter. She awoke to find many of her Guardian allies slain, and many of her kin kidnapped. She should've given her life in the conflict. Why did they save her? She was crushed by her mourning, her heart torn by her fatal failure. Her path of poetry failing her just like her duty as a Guardian, she made up her mind in the throes of passionate guilt. Aine escaped the craftworld she failed, whisking away as much gear as she could buy or smuggle out of the craftworld.

One thing led to another in distant worlds, a second-class citizen on the fringes of space. Though she held to her sense of duty and honor to make ends meet, the spirit of a protector burned brighter than a Starcannon in Aine's soul. Somehow she'd come into the service of a sly and skillful house of traders, using their God-Emperor-given rights to secure assets for the Imperium by any means necessary. Whether pressed into service or the opportunity falling into her lap, Aine would never tell. What matters is that she remained a loyal bodyguard to her new employers, blending into the roughest worlds as a quick learner. Anything less wouldn't just get her killed. It would get her clients killed as well, for she found her task of taking stub shots and slicing threats to House Sheyln to pieces a pleasure and a treat. Though she didn't always see eye-to-eye with the house's methods, she would not let her idealism stand in the way of getting the job done.

At the passing of her "boss", as some mon-- er, men would informally call Silas Sheyln, Aine was upset yet honored for the services she could offer him. Despite perishing to a blight as fragile humans were wont to do, it was better than violence or assassination. With an heir to his legacy crowned, his daughter Gabriela, Aine personally swore her fealty and bid her glory. And the status quo of Aine's occupation would continue -- if being employed by Rogue Traders could ever have a "status quo" -- would have continued, if not for the hubris of Gabriela's jealous brothers. With news of her fleet's utter annihilation, horror clutched Aine's heart. What cruelty of fate could let her fail to save her fellows once again? Slaanesh's threat to her eternity be damned, Aine contemplated giving herself to death's cold embrace. No longer would she fail another faction she swore to protect.

However, it didn't take long for Aine to gather herself. Afte rall, she knew the true fate of her oathbound employer, Gabriela. She and her comrades aboard the Blade of Saint Katherine were the sole survivors of the assault. Aine herself was one of them. Though she mourned the loss of her fellows once more, as she had in the past aboard her old craftworld vessel, a raw determination lingered. She would stand by Gabriela and her surviving crewmates. She would do her part to help the true heir of House Sheyln exact revenge against her usurping brothers. Their heads would roll, or Aine would die trying.

And if her death got her team one step closer to victory? Well, not even the Aeldari lived forever.

Last edited by Seeks; Aug 29th, 2022 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Added full-sized reference; app done, I think?
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 08:52 PM
WotC can bite me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6767
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Rogue Trader application (INCOMPLETE)All right, I’ve never owned a copy of these rules or played the game. Everything I know about WH40K and Rogue Trader is from paperbacks and a podcast. So I made best guesses for the career/origin descriptions based off other people’s applications and the Forsaken Bounty PDF. Special thanks to psuedenim for wiki link and hafrogman for answering questions.

Note: Character still has 150xp to distribute during character creation. Notes in { }brackets are proposals I have or will discuss with the GM.

Name: Austin Berhatz
Race: Human (I don't know what this means Gue'vesa)
Career: Closest fit for a 'herretek' techie type, student of xenos-tech as well (especially Tau)Explorator (sort of)
Each starts at 25, 100 characteristic points (cp), distributed as indicatedCHARACTERISTIC Value
Weapon Skill (WS): Apply 10cp, subtract 5 due to origin path30
Ballistic Skill (BS): Apply 10cp, add 5 due to origin path40
Strength (S): Apply 5cp30
Toughness (T): Apply 12cp, add 3 due to origin path...maybe add 1d5+1?40
Agility (Ag): Apply 8cp33
Intelligence (Int): Apply 17cp, add 8 due to origin path50
Perception (Per): Apply 8cp33
Willpower (WP): Apply 15cp40
Fellowship (Fel): Apply 15cp40
Skill name Basic(ubs) Skilled +10% +20%  
Chem-Use (Int) X O O O  
Common Lore (Machine Cult) (Int) X X O O  
Common Lore (Tech) (Int) X X O O  
Forbidden Lore (Archeotech ) (Int) X X O O  
Forbidden Lore (Xenos) (Int) X X O O  
Literacy (Int) X X O O  
Speak Language (Tau) (Int) X X O O  
Speak Language (Low Gothic) X X O O  
Speak Language (Techna-lingua) (Int) X X O O  
Tech-Use (Int) X X O O  
Trade (Technomat) (Int) X X O O  
SkillName O O O O  
SkillName O O O O  
SkillName O O O O
TALENTS/TRAITS
Basic Weapon Training (Universal)
Melee Weapon Training (Universal)
similar functionality to Mechanicus ImplantsCyber-hand
Logis implant
Hatred(Chaos)
Light Sleeper
Peer(Military)
Resistance (Psychic Powers)
Talent(Common Lore (Machine Cult))
Talent(Common Lore (Tech))
Talent (Tech-Use)
Technical Knock Talent
Career: Explorator, modifiedCareer details look-like:

Origin PathOrigin Path:

Home World: FORGEWORLD (A higher-tech ‘frontier’ world with Tau & Imperial rival governments)
Birthright: FRINGE-SURVIVOR/Heretek
Lure of the Void: CALL TO WAR (served in an inquisitor’s ‘entourage’)
Trials and Travails: DARKNESS/Warp-Incursion (survivor of daemon attack)
Motivation: FORTUNE (+1 Fate point)

Description:

Background:

Last edited by Solitaire64; Sep 23rd, 2022 at 12:06 AM. Reason: work in progress
Old Aug 27th, 2022, 11:05 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 95
MadOnTheInternet
I've played Only War a few times but never Rogue Trader before, but I'm interested in giving it a shot.

Name: Ernst Draven
Career: Arch-Militant
Origin Path: Death World>Scapegrace>Criminal>Press-Ganged>Fortune
Description:

Like many death worlders, Ernst is a very physically fit specimen of Humanity, nearly half as broad at the shoulders as he is tall. He is seldom seem without carapace armor, and automatic weapon of some kind, and the deadly monowhip he acquired at the very start of his mercenary career.

His outlook goes one step past typical death world fatalism to trying to live each day to the fullest since the next one is never guaranteed. He fights for the money to sustain his modestly decadent lifestyle.

Despite having been away from his home world for nearly two decades, Ernst still has a habit of always looking up when entering a new room or building. This is the Kimmeran survival trait of checking for mole spiders, nasty beasts that tunnel through rock and hang out on cave ceilings to suddenly drop on unwary prey.

Background:
Ernst hails from the death world of Kimmera III. Though the surface is an uninhabitable wasteland swept by fierce winds and ionic storms, great mineral wealth prompted the construction of underground settlements. The mines and tunnels are only marginally more welcoming than the surface, prowled by an entire catalogue of deadly creatures from mole spiders to the armored skirrex.

Early life for Ernst consisted of alternating hard shifts in the mines with taking solace in illicit substances. He eventually got himself caught up in the groups dealing in those substances, and descended into a brief life of crime that came to an abrupt halt when the Arbiters caught up with him and threw him in prison.

Ernst probably would have been executed if a Rogue Trader hadn't showed up in desperate need of replacement crew. Ernst was among the convicts offered up to fill the gap, and thus it was out the viewport a lighter up to the ship he was to serve on that Ernst finally got his first glimpse of the stars.

Working on the menial duties of a starship is actually considerably safer than the Kimmeran mines, but Ernst still didn't enjoy it. But he was stuck there until his ship ended up on the losing end of a duel with another Rogue Trader's vessel. Ernst took advantage of the distraction to overpower the officer in charge of his deck, overpowering him and slicing the hated enforcer to ribbons with the deadly monowhip the officer had used to discipline recalcitrant ratings, thus spraking a general uprising among the press-ganged members of the crew. When boarding parties reached the compartment, they found the crew slain and group of freshly-liberated ratings willing to join in for a cut of the loot. Thus Ernst smoothly transitioned to a career as a mercenary.

Ernst happened to be on Orask when the Blade of Saint Katherine limped into port. Hearing the Rogue Trader was looking for replacement crew, he gleefully signed on.

Last edited by MadOnTheInternet; Sep 19th, 2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 03:12 PM
Let there be fire again

Tools
User Statistics
Alrighty! Looks like we've got seven applicants right now. I'm glad people are taking note of this campaign. EmmaRae, any further info for the thread? Like, are there a set number of applicants you'd prefer, or a set group size? Any sort of deadline to apply? At any rate, best of luck to everyone.
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 03:34 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3673
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Get everyone (you like), Wh40k games have the quickest game-death ratio of any other game
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Let there be fire again

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursinorum View Post
Wh40k games have the quickest game-death ratio of any other game
On the one hand, I suddenly worry this dramatic backstory I wrote up for my Eldar could potentially be in vain after like the first combat or so.

On the other hand, I know I'd absolutely write something equally contrived for her Imperial replacement. Or her Ork replacement, even.

On that same other hand, I've played AD&D at 1st level a few times.

Last edited by Seeks; Aug 29th, 2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 04:10 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1164
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
@Seeks - I think Urs was suggesting that these games end prematurely, rather than characters dieing. Perhaps the load on the GM is higher or w40k fanatics are a little too fanatical. I have distant memories of bearded ones arguing over lore and rules in the miniatures stores, that in store culture as well as the cost was what put me off the game but the lore is great.
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 04:20 PM
WotC can bite me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6767
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuedenim View Post
@Seeks - I think Urs was suggesting that these games end prematurely, rather than characters dieing. Perhaps the load on the GM is higher or w40k fanatics are a little too fanatical. I have distant memories of bearded ones arguing over lore and rules in the miniatures stores, that in store culture as well as the cost was what put me off the game but the lore is great.
I heard some guys on a podcast years ago talking about their Rogue Trader game, and it did indeed sound like the game mechanics are quite lethal. Rules included cumulative degrees of getting corrupted the more exposed a PC is to Chaos, analogous to Call of Cthulhu sanity loss But that is just hearsay, I'm sure it won't be that bad
Old Aug 29th, 2022, 06:50 PM
Let there be fire again

Tools
User Statistics
Ohhhh. Given my relative distance from the WH40k fandom, had no idea. That makes more sense. Eh, no worries. Worth a try to see if Emma is able to run.

Last edited by Seeks; Aug 29th, 2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old Aug 30th, 2022, 11:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3140
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
So many Eldar apps....guess i will change mine to human. Though i am having a hard time coming up with a concept.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 01:25 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1722
EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae
Just a quick mobile heads up, I plan on answering all questions this evening after work.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 05:59 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 95
MadOnTheInternet
Great, I do have a few questions:

1: A Hunting Rifle is a starting weapon choice for Arch-Militants, but there doesn't seem to be stats for it anywhere in the book.
2: When Arch-Militants select a "class" of weapons for their Weapon Master ability, do they mean Las-SP-Bolt-etc. or Pistol-Basic-Heavy?
3: Does an Arch-Militant's Weapon Master ability apply to Starship weapons if they line (Say, plasma master firing a Ryza battery)
4: Why can't I remember what #4 was?
5: Per the sidebar on page 15, you get a bonus Talented (Any) talent if you get the same talent twice during CharGen. Would Melee Training (Primitive) count as a duplicate if you're already getting Universal Melee training? It's not the same talent, but it overlaps.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 08:10 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2017
Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun Hotshot lasgun
1. the hunting rifle's stats are here on ze internut

150m; S/ -/-; 1d10 + 3 Impact; Pen 0; Two handed; Accurate

2. i believe its las, sp bolt

3. no it does not according to the errata

5. yes

Last edited by Hotshot lasgun; Aug 31st, 2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old Aug 31st, 2022, 08:42 PM
Let there be fire again

Tools
User Statistics
@Rylus: I am the only other Eldar player applying. This crew is big enough for the both of us. Heck, there is no promise I will make the cut either. So no worries if you wanna play an Eldar, okay?
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 12:15 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1164
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
I can handle more Xenos putting their traitorous lives on the line for the emperor