Other Black Flags in the Ghoul Stars (Rogue Trader) - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 02:59 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1722
EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae
RWBY2019: While the core rules and mechanics are the same between DH1 and RT, the characters are not. The RT Core book even states that a Level 1 character is the equivalent power level as a Level 5 DH character.

I've got the table updated, as well as the posting rate in the initial post (sorry for overlooking that all.)

Also I just want to throw out a thanks to all yall here. I do pop in quick to check things on the reg, and every time I see a question by the time I get back it's already been answered.
Old Sep 3rd, 2022, 03:07 PM
Servant To The Omnissiah

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 185
RWBY2019 RWBY2019
Azrael's application is done now i'm just finishing the sheet i will link it when done

Edit: i'm fine with being underpowered compared to the game universe and i saw that looking through the RT core book I'm just here to play a tech priest In a game world i think the apperence of a tech priest would be an interesting thing to see

GM of

Last edited by RWBY2019; Sep 3rd, 2022 at 07:04 PM.
Old Sep 4th, 2022, 02:19 PM
Let there be fire again

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3787
Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks Seeks
I am sorry, but I am officially dropping out of this game. I don't have reliable access to the rules, nor do I want to learn a new game right now. Best of luck to everyone else, and have fun.

I don't know what I want to do about this game right now. Is there a deadline? I am having a rough time of late and my confidence (read: devotion to hobbies) is shot. I cannot promise anything for or against playing. If role call is taken, I am approved and cannot go through, I will let you know so someone else can be picked.

Till I know for sure if I can do this, no promises either way.

Last edited by Seeks; Sep 6th, 2022 at 12:11 AM.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 05:56 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1164
psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim psuedenim
I think I'm done so far, not sure how you want to handle the Profit and/or additional equipment.

I'm leaning towards Diplomat/Spy/Assassin with a dangerous and growing interest in the forbidden (good intentions and all that) and not sure how best to construct that.
Long range sniper like weapon?
Move some attribute pts around?
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 08:29 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 95
MadOnTheInternet
I'm also wondering if you'll let us take common items like it suggests in the book

The errata says to replace the hunting rifle choice for the Arch-Militant with the long-las. Should I do that instead of taking the hunting rifle?

For a sniper weapon, I see five main choices: Solo bolter, the Absolution sniper rifle, the Long-las, the Hunting Rifle, and the Needle Rifle.

I've presented an analysis below with a recommended set of upgrades that all fit in as a +0 acquisition.
Solo Bolter+Red-dot laser sight+inferno shells
Pros:
-Best damage. 1d10+5 Tearing, Pen 4 blows the competition away in every sense of the word.
-Also cleanses them with fire, which is essentially a slow-motion death sentence.

Cons:
-It's the shortest ranged option of the bunch. 100 meters matches most personal basic weapons, which may leave you a lot closer to your targets than you like.
-By the lore, bolters are loud with very distinctive reports, and the solo bolter isn't a valid subject for a silencer. You'll give yourself away when you fire.

Sniper rifle + red-dot laser sight + fire selector + bleeder ammo + manstopper ammo
Pros:
-Best range, 220 meters puts you beyond the reach of anything but heavy weapons before you even hit long range on your own shots.
-Built-in silencer.
-Good damage. 1d10+7 to living targets. For those demonic and machine enemies, switch to manstoppers for 1d10+4, pen 3, which is fine since most of those targets are going to be heavily armored.

Cons:
-6-shot ammo clips. You get 9 clips by the rule of 3, which you can load 3 at a time, which will last you through all but the most extreme scenarios since you fire one at a time, but if you track encumbrance for all of them...

Long-las + red-dot laser sight + overcharge pack + silencer + exterminator cartridge
Pros:
-Best ammo capacity, and easy resupply.
-Exterminator cartridge for emergency use.

Cons:
-Shorter range, only 150 meters.
-Weaker damage output, 1d10+4 pen 1.

Needle Rifle + exterminator cartridge
Pros:
-2nd best range, 180 meters.
-Nearly silent, invisible operation.
-Exterminator cartridge for emergency use.

Cons:
-It's exotic, which means you can't even train in it until rank 3 Sensechal.
-6 shot clips, this time without a fire selector to mitigate it.
-Technically, it can't accept a sight because it's exotic. Maybe GM will common sense it, maybe he won't...
-Damage is a weak 1d10 pen 0. Toxic adds another 3 points on average if you can damage them and make them fail a toughness test.
-Only option on this list that is not reliable, so jamming is a realistic concern.

Hunting Rifle
Pros:
-Thoroughness.

Cons:
-It is outclassed in literally every respect by both the long-las and the sniper rifle. Use one of those.
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 11:50 PM
WotC can bite me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6767
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
Questions for other players (Sorry, I try to only buy rules from 'brick and mortar' game stores and haven't made it to one that has Rogue Trader. Probably should just break down and buy it online.)...

So looking at the example character sheets from Forsaken Bounty, the list of skills for the pre-gen characters are in table form where the skills have four classifications: Basic, Skilled, +10%, and +20%.

Does Basic mean "Untrained Basic Skills," and how does this differ mechanically from the 2nd row (Skilled) when you try your skill check?

Does the 3rd row (+10%) refer to when you generate a Talent for a skill in the Origin Path? If yes, when does the 4th row (+20%) come into play?

Do the xp points you spend (from the 500 xp start) on Characteristics correspond on a 1 to 1 basis? Meaning, if I spend 30 xp on Intelligence and have no other bonuses, the character starts with an Int score of 30? I'm guessing yes, but if so I probably have to rethink my xp-intensive Origin Path

The pre-gen characters in Forsaken Bounty generally had Characteristics in the 30s and 40s. Is that a realistic 'goal' range for a new PC in this game?

Last edited by Solitaire64; Sep 6th, 2022 at 12:15 AM. Reason: questions and more questions
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 12:38 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20519
hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman hafrogman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire64 View Post
Questions for other players (Sorry, I try to only buy rules from 'brick and mortar' game stores and haven't made it to one that has Rogue Trader. Probably should just break down and buy it online.)
The system has been discontinued as of 2016. If you want a hardcopy, you're probably better off checking used bookstores.
Quote:
Does Basic mean "Untrained Basic Skills," and how does this differ mechanically from the 2nd row (Skilled) when you try your skill check?

Does the 3rd row (+10%) refer to when you generate a Talent for a skill in the Origin Path? If yes, when does the 4th row (+20%) come into play?
Basic means "you may attempt this skill without training at half the relevant attribute". I.E. if you have a 40 strength score and want to attempt climb untrained, you're trying to get under 20. Non-basic skills may not be attempted at all untrained.

The additional ranks, +10% and +20% are additional training ranks you may purchase through your career path. Each has a prerequisite of the one before. As far as I can tell, the 'Talented' talent is a separate 10% bonus applied above and beyond any training... but I am not certain on that.
Quote:
Do the xp points you spend (from the 500 xp start) on Characteristics correspond on a 1 to 1 basis? Meaning, if I spend 30 xp on Intelligence and have no other bonuses, the character starts with an Int score of 30? I'm guessing yes, but if so I probably have to rethink my xp-intensive Origin Path
Not at all. Initial Characteristic generation is handled via a separate point-buy system. (Or rolling, but per the original ad, we're doing point-buy). Each stat starts at 25 for free and you have 100 points. This does indeed give average scores in the 30-40 range.

Advancement of these Characteristics is again handled through the Career path, with each career having different costs per Characteristic. So it's easier to advance things your career is supposed to be good at. These are handled in increments of +5 and ramp up quickly if you want to advance the same Characteristic a second time. You can spend some of your 500xp on these stat gains, but it is not part of the initial calculations.
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 06:40 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae
Seeks: I totally understand where you are coming from, I've been in similar places myself.

End Date: The game has finally been approved by the greater powers of the site (all hail the Admins), and as such I am finally comfortable giving a closure date. Based on the rate of new applicants and that this is a bit of a niche system, I'm going to cut it a bit on the shorter side and say Sunday, September 18th at 11:59pm EST

Mad: If the errata says long-las, I'll let you pick between the hunting rifle or the long-las. As for the common items, the book also suggests avoiding this with new groups, so I'm still on the fence with that. I'll have a definite when things close out.

Also if anyone is wondering on the Profit Factor for any reason, the out-of-the-gate number is 30.
Old Sep 7th, 2022, 10:50 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
MadOnTheInternet
I'll definitely take the long-las.

So does that make our ship points 60? You can't do a cruiser on 60, but you can really trick out a frigate.
Old Sep 13th, 2022, 08:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3673
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
Hi people, sorry to be doing this, but due to unforeseen circumstances I'm leaving the site for a while. Good luck and happy gaming.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOnTheInternet View Post
I'll definitely take the long-las.

So does that make our ship points 60? You can't do a cruiser on 60, but you can really trick out a frigate.
Correct, however for ease of start the Blade of Saint Katherine has already been built.

A shame to see you go Ursinorum, but I totally understand, I've been there myself.
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 10:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3140
Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus Rylus
Ok Asaris concept and background are complete, i left it kind of vague because i don't know much about the world of 40k so i hope that's alright.

Also i have a question, since Asaris is an Eldar does he get a career path? or is it just his "path of the warrior" and "outcast"?
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 12:26 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylus View Post

Also i have a question, since Asaris is an Eldar does he get a career path? or is it just his "path of the warrior" and "outcast"?
Yes, all the Xenos are fairly limited in their career path options sadly.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 08:34 PM
WotC can bite me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6767
Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64 Solitaire64
So I put my character’s stats/skills/talents in table form and put it at the top of my application to make it cleaner. I have 150xp left to apply to him though, and would appreciate suggestions as I’m not spending over $100 for a copy of the rules

The character is conceived as a human who grew up outside the Imperium, on a relatively high-tech world that had Tau and human rival governments as well as xenos artifacts/ruins. He could have abilities relevant to business, engineering, ranged weapons, and diplomacy/deception. Depending on xp cost he could have gadgets or cybernetics representing tech from xenos ruins or the Tau. Any advice on spending the 150xp would be appreciated, thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2022, 10:31 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
MadOnTheInternet
It's hard to go wrong with awareness training for 100 XP. The only other options that even come close in bang for the buck are buying the first increase in INT, STR, or T, also 100 XP each. Trade(Armorer) is 100XP, but the trade skill is so poorly defined it's hard to know if will even do anything.